Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

1313233343537»

Comments

• Options
    Now top of the 8th. Massive innings. Breslow terrifies me and Workman is more unknown. If this is tidy it gives Koji the bottom order.
  • Options
    4 outs away.
  • Options
    Tidy inning from Workman. 9 pitches. Over to you, Koji...
  • Options
    Its Koji time.......
  • Options
    2 more.
  • Options
    1 more. Im crying here.
  • Options
    YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Ifufucjfickckvlbldldbobdokdbddbldbodoblhdobobdpbrobdobdohreonrpr
  • Options
    We've done it!!! Go Sox!!!!!

Love that dirty water, oh Boston you're my home!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hahaa! Quality!
    Enjoy celebrating over there Damo!
  • Options
    Tessie, you are the only only only
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Boston, you are the only only only
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Red Sox, you are the only only only!!!!!
  • Options
    Yes!! I got up at 4am here to watch the game & was just so delighted to see the Red Sox win it. There were a few uncomfortable moments, particularly in the 7th when Lackey loaded the bases. But we got out of it successfully & finally Koji came on to blow away the final 3 batters. What a great, and totally unexpected season it's been. From last to first!!
  • Options
    Well done Red Sox. Deserved.
  • Options
    Many congrats Red Sox. Thoroughly deserved.
  • Options
    Congrats to the Red Sox, deserved winners having done it home and away.

Disapponted the Cards didn't take their hitting into the WS but that is also a credit to the sox pitchers and fielders.

Cards have a very young side so expect to see them back in post-season on a regular basis.

Every is happy it wasn't the Yankees, apart from Yanks fans.

• Options
    Well done to the Cards, let's not forget the great performances they put in. They are a young team who will grow and you can see that they will be hungry to get back here as soon as possible.

Also, a huge shoutout to all the fans on here. The two best supported teams in the league, they put on a show and everyone was with them every step of the way.

I would have posted before but I didn't put a message up when we levelled the series or when we went 3-2 up. I'm superstitious as hell and didn't want to break the mojo. :)
  • Options
    Apologies for quoting myself, but just looked back at what I said at the beginning of the season.
    Looks like Pedroia was right and everyone else was wrong!
    Also note that the Toronto implosion happened and my prediction of The Dodgers winning it all was close, but no cigar.
    What did everyone else predict?

2013 Season begins!!

Well, it's up and running again. Houston Astros win the first game of the season 8-2 at the Texas Rangers.
    Top of the bill for today is of course the New York Yankees v Boston Red Sox which also happens to be live on ESPN America at 6.00 this evening.
    Boston go in to the season as rank outsiders for a change - the harsh reality of playing in the notoriously tough AL East I suppose, but after last year's disaster under Bobby Valentine which followed hot on the tail of the extraordinary end of season collapse of 2011, there's an atmosphere amongst the Red Sox Nation that the club is on the long road back under new manager, former Bosox pitching coach John Farrell.
    Club legend Dustin Pedroia reckons their target this year, like every year, is to win the World Series, and rightly so, but no realistic Red Sox fan can genuinely expect such a miracle in 2013. A more solid season than last year with the hope of flirting with the Wildcard spot would be seen as a success.
    Surprisingly, the Yanks are also unlikely to be up at the top this year either. It's pretty much universally accepted that theToronto Blue Jays are looking the strongest team in the AL East and that it will take an implosion in Toronto or an excellent season in Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Boston or New York for anyone else to win this tough division.
    Both teams have injuries going into this opener with Boston missing Big Papi and new signing Stephen Drew, while the Yanks are without Derek Jeter, ARod, and Curtis Granderson.
    I reckon this'll be a close one, but unfortunately I think the Yanks will nick it, probably in extra innings.

As for who's going to win the Big One, my money's on the Dodgers.

• Options
    Well done to the Red Sox, they deserved it, especially coming back and winning the last 2 games in St Louis. Hugely enjoyable series, just a pity we have to wait now till March for it all to start again next year. Hope my dodgers can get to the big show again.
  • Options
    WS 2011 Game 6 hero David Freese traded by the Cards to the Angels. Good deal for Cards and a good for Freese to have a fresh start methinks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My boys are playing at the SCG next year against the Dodgems, when will we get an international series here?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    A-Roid has been banned for the whole 2014 season including postseason if necessary.
    Glad the cheat is banned, but he's still protesting his innocence and threatening to take it to federal court. Prick.
    The Yankees will see this ban as a positive, unfortunately, because it frees up about $25 million in wages, so they'll probably get Tanaka now. Hate to say it, but unless they implode, the Yankees look to be building a roster to dominate the AL East.
  • Options
    Everyone said the same about Toronto last year. Let them win the offseason and we can see how they do once it starts to count.

However I agree that their roster is very much built to win now. But 2 years down the line? The big contracts will bite them.
  • Options
    That's very true about Toronto. They really looked like they could be the real deal last off season. Let's hope the Yanks underperform in a similar way eh?
    :-)
  • Options
    I saw the Jays at the Rogers last year on Victoria day - they looked a long way from dominant, and the crowd didn't have that aura that comes from watching a truly great, winning side on the rise. Speaking to a few people there as well they were convinced some poor off-season decisions with contracts were to blame.
  • Options
    The thread is too long for me to trawl through and find out, but has anyone read "The Boys Of Summer"? - the book about the Brooklyn Dodgers of 1952/53, with Jackie Robinson? I got it for Christmas and it's fascinating.

I shouldn't be shocked by the racism in America at the time, but I was. It's hard to get your head round from a modern perspective. Greatest country in the world, my a***.

Highly recommended book though.
  • Options
    So the season is over a week old and no posts? Guess I'll resurrect it then.

Great start for the Orioles.

Oh and also this guy:
  • Options
    Same old shit with the DBacks I reckon, Greinke comes along and looked dogshit in his first 2 games, hopefully it's just a blip but there's no telling with us. I reckon this'll be a transitional year for us, with another couple of decent players coming in to flesh out the rest of the team, we can't rely on 3 or 4 players to win every game
  • Options
    Well the Big Red Machine went 5 and 1 in the first week so perhaps there is an omen in there.
  • Options
    Isn't there a 2016 season thread somewhere?