Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

Comments

• Options
    Still hopeful the Dodgers will come back after the win last night but Cards still NLCS favourite. Great pitching by both Lackey & Verlander tonight but Red Sox now favourites in the ALCS
  • Options
    Lackey was utterly immense to edge Verlander. Begging for this for the Sox. Will be going to game 3 or 4 at Busch if we get the cards.
  • Options
    Cards 3 - Dodgers 1 Only one game away from another world series but still had fewer hits than LA

Looks like it could be a Cards v Red Sox Series. Chance to revenge the 4 - 0 defeat of 2004
  • Options
    These LCS match ups aren't done yet Henners. I fancy the Sox/Tigers to go to 7 games and even the Cards can't start celebrating just yet!

I love this game.
  • Options

These LCS match ups aren't done yet Henners. I fancy the Sox/Tigers to go to 7 games and even the Cards can't start celebrating just yet!

I love this game.

Agree. In fact, I will be surprised if Sox v Tigers doesnt go 7.
  • Options

I love this game.

I have always wondered if it was Norm Charlton of the Seattle Mariners back in the 90's that led me to love baseball
  • Options
    About to watch game 4 of the NLCS but I think we're done, we had to win all 3 in LA to have a decent chance and even if we win tonight I can't see us winning both in St Louis. Fair play to the Cards, they always seem to find a way to get it done and although the Red Sox or Tigers will be tough I fancy their chances of winning it all now.
  • Options
    Watching the Dodgers/Cards at the mo, and a few minutes ago the commentator said they'd had a message from Britain to say hello to Jonny and Josh on Channel 5!

What the hell? Baseball on 5 has been off air for about five years now!

Anyway, whatever, nice work from the Dodgers tonight. Keeping the series alive.

Incidentally, what do the Charlton Life baseball mob think of Yasiel Puig?
    Personally, I think he's a great potential talent, but I can't help thinking his personality will end up getting in the way of a great career. Or maybe it's just immaturity - but he just seems like a bit of a dick to me.
  • Options
    Back to the Busch we go. Still confident we'll win one of two home games

Think Puig will be a real star but it will take time and maybe a move to a different club for him
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Watching the Dodgers/Cards at the mo, and a few minutes ago the commentator said they'd had a message from Britain to say hello to Jonny and Josh on Channel 5!

What the hell? Baseball on 5 has been off air for about five years now!

...and a sad loss it was too.

Yasiel Puig?
    - but he just seems like a bit of a dick to me.

ditto

Gonna be tough for the batters tomorrow: Kershaw v Wacha. Presumably Ryu v Waino if we go 7.

Seems like Beltran may be a Yankee next season....needs to rest his knees as a DH
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think it is a bit out of order Beltran so openly courting the Yanks in the middle of a crucial series with the Cards. We know it happens but did he have to tell the press how keen he was. Especially after STL resurrected his career and he might be going to his first series
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Think it is a bit out of order Beltran so openly courting the Yanks in the middle of a crucial series with the Cards. We know it happens but did he have to tell the press how keen he was. Especially after STL resurrected his career and he might be going to his first series

Can't complain he isn't contributing (on what he's done to date he'd be my post-season MVP for the Cards) and he is a free agent. Cards planning to put Craig in Right Field to make Adams everyday. We'll miss his bat and arm in the outfield but I doubt that it's that big a surprise to players or front office that it's a hot topic.
  • Options
    Tigers level it to 2 - 2 with the Red Sox
  • Options
    Key for us is tonight. Think if Lester pulls it out the bag and the offense back him, we will take 1 from 2 back at fenway.
  • Options
    Yesssss!
    Nice work tonight. Back to Fenway now with a 3-2 lead. This is already a terrific series.
  • Options
    No sleep again last night! God October is knackering when the Sox are in the post season. Thank christ I am in the States if ww get to the series.
  • Options

No sleep again last night! God October is knackering when the Sox are in the post season.

You're not wrong there. And it's not just that, it's the fact that all the games, bar game 4, have been absolutely compelling. I mean, look at that last night - 4-0 up after three, then the lead was chipped away one run at a time in 5, 6 and 7 leaving Koji to see out the last 5 outs which, of course, he did supremely. It's just great.
    We really ought to win from here, but if the Red Sox do lose the next two, at least we know it will go down as a classic series.
  • Options
    Clay has the chance to make up for his last slightly ropey outing next time out at Fenway. Still think they have the better side on paper which makes our performance in the series so far even more impressive.
  • Options
    By the way, if you haven't seen this, check out this catch from last night by Jose Iglesias:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=31155161
  • Options

By the way, if you haven't seen this, check out this catch from last night by Jose Iglesias:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=31155161

HOOOOOOLY COWWWWWWW!. Unbelievable. Thanks for the link m'Lud.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still think we shouldn't have let him go. But then again, we would have had Doubront instead of Peavy in our post season rotation so not all bad.
  • Options

Still think we shouldn't have let him go. But then again, we would have had Doubront instead of Peavy in our post season rotation so not all bad.

It's the nature of the beast though isn't it?
    The fact is, we desperately needed another decent starting pitcher - imagine where we would have been during that period when Buchholz was on the DL?
    And Stephen Drew was clearly first choice Shortstop - Iglesias is a great prospect and looks to be bearing fruit already, but the truth is, a prospect was all he was when we let him go.
    As it happens, I agree with you and was disappointed he went at the time because in the gametime he got, he looked good.
    It looks pretty likely that we'll not see the best of the lad at Fenway, but sometimes you have to make a decision and I guess you can't win 'em all. We all have 20-20 in hindsight.
  • Options
    Hoping for a Dodgers/Red Sox WS ... just to see the likes of Crawford, A-Gone, Beckett and Punto against their old team.
  • Options
    Congratulations to the cards. Hopefully see you at the series!
  • Options
    2nd Series in three years, 4th in the last 10.

Three Rookie pitchers won it last night.

Bring on the Tigers
  • Options

2nd Series in three years, 4th in the last 10.

Three Rookie pitchers won it last night.

Bring on the Tigers

Lol.
    Well done Cards. Deserved IMO. Looked the best in the NL so the right team made it.
    Now just need to avoid an 0-2 at Fenway.

Come on you Red Sox!
  • Options
    Can't see the Red Sox losing two at home but you never know.
  • Options
    WHO CARES FCUK OFF CARDS ;-)
  • Options

The fact is, we desperately needed another decent starting pitcher - imagine where we would have been during that period when Buchholz was on the DL?
    And Stephen Drew was clearly first choice Shortstop - Iglesias is a great prospect and looks to be bearing fruit already, but the truth is, a prospect was all he was when we let him go.
    As it happens, I agree with you and was disappointed he went at the time because in the gametime he got, he looked good.
    It looks pretty likely that we'll not see the best of the lad at Fenway, but sometimes you have to make a decision and I guess you can't win 'em all. We all have 20-20 in hindsight.
    Honestly I believe this was a great trade by Ben Cherington and I'm surprised we were able to get Peavy and only give up Iggy. He's a great defensive shortstop but he will never hit anywhere near this season again. His great BA is based on an astronomical and unsustainable BABIP around (.450 last I looked). He will be a career .230 hitter that grounds into a lot of inning ending DPs.

I'll take Xander's .280 BA and slightly smaller range over Iggy every day of the week. I'd also re-sign Drew at the end of the year so that we can platoon WMB and XB.

However, let's focus on the fact we need 5 more wins this year. I cannot wait for tonight's game!
  • Options
    Jdredsox said:

Honestly I believe this was a great trade by Ben Cherington and I'm surprised we were able to get Peavy and only give up Iggy. He's a great defensive shortstop but he will never hit anywhere near this season again. His great BA is based on an astronomical and unsustainable BABIP around (.450 last I looked). He will be a career .230 hitter that grounds into a lot of inning ending DPs.

I'll take Xander's .280 BA and slightly smaller range over Iggy every day of the week. I'd also re-sign Drew at the end of the year so that we can platoon WMB and XB.

However, let's focus on the fact we need 5 more wins this year. I cannot wait for tonight's game!
    Fair points JD.
    In all honesty, the biggest reason I wanted us to keep Iglesias is because he has that air of being as valuable in the clubhouse as he is on the field. It's just an air he gives off. Do you know what I mean?
    He just seems to be a good, honest pro with intelligence, talent, a healthy amount of humility and excellent team ethic. He's an outstanding infielder too.
    I think he'll be someone's Pedroia in the future.