Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

Comments

• Options
    Red Sox showing glimmers of the side we thought we would see (and certainly I hoped for). 2 to 1 series win v the scummy Yankees, and 2 more home series to come v the Rays and Blue Jays.

Beckett was awesome yesterday - haven't seen him pitch that well for years (since I saw him versus the A's at Fenway a while back).

The road form has been patchy at best for 18 months now - will need to sort that out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Two consecutive walk off wins for the Giants v the Cards, that can't happen very often?

With the Cards it does but we did win last night.

Going to be a long season for us Cards fans I fear. Cincinnati already look set to win the division. Russa Out
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Blue Jays later in the summer, they've got the Baltimore Orioles and the Texas Rangers whilst I'm over. I can't say I know that much about rounders but still, it's bound to be a laugh.
  • Options
    Watched the yankees go down to the Red Sox last night I know that our friend from New England will have enjoyed that one. Early days though, not that I think the Yankees will feature this year. Their pitching has no depth. I do expect Boston to get their act together, despite their 2-7 record so far. The meaningfull action is post all star break.

Sad to hear that Manny has retired from the game. Circumstances for retirement also very sad.
  • Options
    saw the best catch ive ever seen live... im a huge white sox fan with season tickets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3RZVRkfLU
  • Options
    Check this, my favourite Manny moment:

http://www.viralthis.com/131/manny-ramirez-high-five-catch.html
  • Options
    Saw that catch yesterday Addick16, stunning. Great victory for the Red Sox, Beckett was back to his classic best, 8 innings with just 2 hits and a walk. It is vital that he is back on form this season
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Dice K was at his classic worst last night. Got belted all over the park by the Rays. Problem for the Red Sox is that we have 3 top top starting picthers in Lester, Bucholz and Beckett. And 2 so-so in Lackey and Dice K. And to compete at the top of the AL East, you cant afford to have 2 so-so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick16[/cite]saw the best catch ive ever seen live... im a huge white sox fan with season tickets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3RZVRkfLU

Nice to see the sporting reaction of the Sox fans in the bar... LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DamoNorthStand[/cite]Unfortunately, Dice K was at his classic worst last night. Got belted all over the park by the Rays. Problem for the Red Sox is that we have 3 top top starting picthers in Lester, Bucholz and Beckett. And 2 so-so in Lackey and Dice K. And to compete at the top of the AL East, you cant afford to have 2 so-so.

Would disagree, Red Sox pitching is by far best in AL East. Rays are going nowhere this year, Jays are well the jays, Baltimore always start well and end up trailing by 20 games. Yankees pitching is thin on ground, relying on CC Sabathia and an inconsistant AJ Burnett. Can't see Boston failing this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DamoNorthStand[/cite]Unfortunately, Dice K was at his classic worst last night. Got belted all over the park by the Rays. Problem for the Red Sox is that we have 3 top top starting picthers in Lester, Bucholz and Beckett. And 2 so-so in Lackey and Dice K. And to compete at the top of the AL East, you cant afford to have 2 so-so.

Would disagree, Red Sox pitching is by far best in AL East. Rays are going nowhere this year, Jays are well the jays, Baltimore always start well and end up trailing by 20 games. Yankees pitching is thin on ground, relying on CC Sabathia and an inconsistant AJ Burnett. Can't see Boston failing this year.
    Having followed the Red Sox since the mid eighties, I am no stranger to seeing them fail against the Yankmees. Even though the hex was broken by that playoff series win a few years back, I still get twitchy when the Sox are favourites against them. Dice-K needs a great year - at his best he is truly baffling, at his worst he is a liability. I think he'll be more like the 07 Dice-K than the 2010 vintage. I like Beckett and Lester a lot, and think Bucholz is a gem. Lackey is the biggest question mark for me.
  • Options
    Going to see the Giants v Dodgers tomorrow night and White Soxs v Angels on Saturday and topped off by Chicago Fire v LA Galaxy Sunday.
  • Options
    Anyone watching on Jackie Robinson day?
  • Options
    Trying to get a moody stream of the Sox game with Toronto
  • Options
    Got very lucky in the 1st, Jays hit a 3 run homer, reviews showed the ball bounced on the wall inside foul ball territory however the line on the wall doesn't line up with the pole, umps reviewed and didn't give it. Very odd
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Going to be a long season for us Cards fans I fear. Cincinnati already look set to win the division. Russa Out

At 6-7, the Cubs are poised to take the NL Central. And Albert Pujols for 2012.

After sitting in Nationals Park in DC two Sundays ago, we went to Petco Park in San Diego last Sunday. For those that have occasion to travel to the States during the season, while public investment in ballparks across the country may not have been an intelligent use of tax funds, it has created some gorgeous places to take in baseball games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite]

At 6-7, the Cubs are poised to take the NL Central. And Albert Pujols for 2012.

After sitting in Nationals Park in DC two Sundays ago, we went to Petco Park in San Diego last Sunday. For those that have occasion to travel to the States during the season, while public investment in ballparks across the country may not have been an intelligent use of tax funds, it has created some gorgeous places to take in baseball games.

bad as the Cards start has been we're still above the Cubs.

Our hitting has started to kick in now, just need to do it against the better teams and improve the pitching.

and you'll never get Albert unless he thinks he can be the one to win you a pennent for the first time in 67 years or win a series for the first time in over a century. Might as well stay at a winning team : - )
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Have you lost the plot Henry?
    You're talking about a living legend.
    Cards beat the Reds last night and went top of the NL Central by virtue of Tony La Russa outsmarting Dusty Baker - holding back his starting pitcher McClellan in anticipation of a lengthy rain delay. Baker went ahead with scheduled starter Volquez who had warmed up for 2 hours and then delivered 6 pitches before the rain came. Resumption 2 hours later - Volquez wasted, McClellan fresh as a daisy and coming on to pitch 6 innings in relief.
    The man's a genius.

Pujols to the Cubs? HA HA HA HA HA....Dream on collegeparkaddick.
  • Options
    Went to the Mets game yesterday (on a tour of NY), it was great fun. Rain delayed K/O but it was a lot of fun walking around the stadium and eating hot dogs. Saw back-to-back HRs, an 'Error', hit-by-pitch (i think, either that or four balls).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JiMMy 85[/cite]Went to the Mets game yesterday (on a tour of NY), it was great fun. Rain delayed K/O but it was a lot of fun walking around the stadium and eating hot dogs....

Ahhh....the Nathan's foot-long. Sheer heaven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sox slowly shaking off that dreadful start - looking to sweep the Angels today.
  • Options
    OK Peanuts I was slightly harsh on Tony R : - )

Hitting well now and neck and neck with the Reds in a very close division.

Albert more likely to sign for Charlton than the Cubs. We've won trophies more recently than they have.
  • Options
    Always been a Dodgers fan myself, lucky enough to see them live on a few occasions. A real shame that Channel 5 gave up showing the Sunday night game a few years ago but you can still get plenty of games on ESPN America. Prefer the National League as I like to see the pitchers bat, no great fan of the DH.
  • Options
    Sox starting to hit real form now. Lackey was superb to complete a sweep of the laa which is no mean feat. And the offensive threat is firing now. Crawford hit his first hr last night, and lowrie has been immense. I am hopeful again - which as a cafc and red sox fan is a dangerous thing.
  • Options
    Sox are red hot and now lead the AL East.
    Ellsbury looks to be having a good comeback season after his injury hit year, while Crawford is now starting to look more like the beast we were hoping for.

This team really should be running away with the league this year - maybe they decided to give everyone else a 6 game start?
    :-)
  • Options
    Red Sox were 2 - 10 so have really turned it around.

Cardinals also picked up after a slow start and now 3.5 game ahead of the Brewers.  Cleveland and the Philies also steaming ahead.

Could be a very old school series at this rate
  • Options
    Minnesota Twins, why?, I am a big fan of the ''Lucas Davenport 'Prey' '' detective novels by John Stanford and I have a strange desire in that I want to go and live in  Minneapolis . Help me doctor
  • Options
    Bump for Peanuts.

Getting near the end of the regular season now.

Yankees, Detroit and most likely Texas champs in the AL   Boston doing a good job of throwing away the wild card spot to either Tampa or the LA Angels

In the NL  Philis are champs in the East.  Arizona nearly champs in the West leaving either Millwauke or St Louis in the Central.  The loser of those two fights it out for the wild card with Atlanta Braves.
  • Options
    You gotta feel bad for the Rays

Every year they have to compete in the placings against the Yankees and the Red Sox knowing full well their best might not be good enough to get to the play-offs

I think I saw on the MLB App on my iPhone that there are talks looking at expanding the number of Wild Cards (increased from 2)
  • Options
    Go DBacks! 

Baseball is one of those funny games that can really grip me in excitement in one game, then bore me to tears the next.

I know it's quite sad, but I have MLB11 on the PS3, and by playing that I have started to understand the more complex areas of the sport, and I no longer think of it as America's version of cricket (though sometimes the commentary can be as weird!)