Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer return - Baseball is here again

Comments

• Options
    Are you clicking on "quote" or just cut and pasting. Try the former or ask lookie to explain.
  • Options
    162 games and the sox go out to 12th innings walk off win by the Rays who were7, yes 7 down.
    So the yanks some how lose and oh look! The sox hit the dirt.

Fix!
  • Options
    162 games and the sox go out to 12th innings walk off win by the Rays who were7, yes 7 down.

Fix!
    Was all in the Red Sox hands.  They just blew it
  • Options
    Yes Henry, very very true
  • Options

Fix!
    Was all in the Red Sox hands.  They just blew it
    This. Red Sox can't blame anyone but themselves. They didn't deserve to get to the play offs on current form.
    All the Wankees have done with last night's performance is make themselves look dishonest, even if it was genuinely unintentional.
  • Options

You couldn't make it up!!  Amazing climax to regular season, pure theatre!  Got to say the Yankees using 11 pitchers, none of whom pitched more than 3 innings looked a bit suspect, but at 7-0 up it didn't seem to matter either.  Will the rays kick on from here, have the Yankees , as one columnist put it, craeted another monster that may come back to bite them? The series start Friday with  Rays v Texas NYYv Detroit in AL.  Philis v Cards, Arizona v Milwaukee on Saturday in NL best of 5.

• Options
    Saw on ESPN that the Red Sox had a 10 game lead over the Rays in Mid August 
    and a 7 game lead at the beginning of September

Complete freefall
  • Options

As I understand it, the Yankees could use non-rotatation pitchers 'legally', there being no sanction against fielding a 'weakened' team.  And they justified it because of there being only 1 days' rest before the playoffs.

So the Sox can't really complain too much (thye'd have done the same, you suspect), and just blew it.  Said my fed-up Bostonian colleague - "let's also not forget that the Braves were a Boston team once"

• Options

Saw on ESPN that the Red Sox had a 10 game lead over the Rays in Mid August 
    and a 7 game lead at the beginning of September

Complete freefall

.....and the Braves had a 10.5 game lead on the Cards on 25 August. The Wild Cards often do well because they have the momentum. Should be a cracker in Philadelphia.
  • Options
    Cards won 3 out of 4 in Philly two weeks ago.

OK the Phillies had already won the division but that didn't stop them sweeping the Braves
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cards won 3 out of 4 in Philly two weeks ago.

OK the Phillies had already won the division but that didn't stop them sweeping the Braves

I'll settle for splitting the first 2 in Philly
  • Options

As I understand it, the Yankees could use non-rotatation pitchers 'legally', there being no sanction against fielding a 'weakened' team.  And they justified it because of there being only 1 days' rest before the playoffs.

So the Sox can't really complain too much (thye'd have done the same, you suspect), and just blew it.  Said my fed-up Bostonian colleague - "let's also not forget that the Braves were a Boston team once"

Correct, it's just ironic the way things worked out.  Having taken care of Boston over the w/e, the Yanks got to use the games down in Florida as a warm up for the post season and in doing so sent their friends from Boston on an early vacation. 

Rays are on a roll though.  Anybody saw their  triple play from Tuesday nights game, sure it must be on mlb site. Check it out. 

• Options
    Can't argue with the comments here, you knew the collapse was going to be completed last night. A terrible start and a worse finish. All I can hope is that the Rays come back to destroy the Yanks in the ALDS
  • Options
    so rather than re-read all 7 pages who are people's teams then ?

I just enjoys watching it so don't have a team as such
  • Options
    Watched the games in a couple of bars in Southern Florida. Amazing. Rays local team but Sox have spring training at Fort Myers, so support was split.

Not a real fan but first game I saw was the Cubs so have always had a soft spot for them 
  • Options
    Good of the Yankees to give me a new nickname - I was getting sick of Yankmees. Tankees is better. That was a f***ing disgrace - I've just watched their showing against the Rays and there should have been a stewards' enquiry. Sox threw it away though - just like they have done for the majority of he 30 years I've been folliowing their (mis)fortunes. I see Francona has gone - great coach, will be difficult to replace him. If it weren't for Francona, the Sox would never have won the world series - and players like Ramirez. Lowell ad (especially) Pedroia wouldn't have been nearly as effective.
  • Options
    National League
    Tampa Rays 1 - 1 Texas Rangers 1

New York Yankees 1 - 0 Detroit Tigers

American League
    Milwaukee Brewers 1 - 0 Arizona Diamondbacks

Philadelphia Phillies 1 - 0 St Louis Cardinals

All games best of five
  • Options

Lee v Carpenter (pitching on only 3 days rest) tonight - even if not mathematically so, got to think it's a must win for the Cards

• Options

Lee v Carpenter (pitching on only 3 days rest) tonight - even if not mathematically so, got to think it's a must win for the Cards

Can't go back to Busch 2 down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cards come back from 4 - 0 to win 5 - 4. 1 - 1 with two games to come in St Louis.

Tigers level it with Damn Yankees

Brewers go two ahead
  • Options
    Tigers become the USA's favourite team as they go 2 - 1 ahead of the Yankees.

Texas go 2 - 1 up v the Rays.

National League games tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Cards come back from 4 - 0 to win 5 - 4. 1 - 1 with two games to come in St Louis. Tigers level it with Damn Yankees Brewers go two ahead

Just finished watching the tape of the game, not knowing the score. Carp was a disaster on only 3 days rest but what a performance over 6 innings by the bullpen - 1 hit, 0 runs.

Massive win.

COYRbirds

Game 3 on Sky Ch430 tonight (first pitch 10pm)

• Options

Tigers looking good last night.  AJ Burnett starts for NYY tonight, so who knows what will happen!!  Yankees are my MBL team so want them to progress. 

Can't begrudge any success to Detroit teams though given the industrial decline that city has suffered. Lions started well in NFL .

• Options
    come on you phillies
  • Options
    come on you phillies
    boooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    Phillies go 2 - 1 up with two to play.  Cards lost to them 3 - 2 with all the Phillies runs coming off a homer.

Texas are thru to another League championship after beating the Tampa Bay Rays in St Petersburg. 
  • Options
    Getting very exciting now

Only Texas have so far gone thru'

The three other divisional series' are all tied 2 - 2 with one game left to play.

Arizona pulled back a 0 - 2 deficit and both the Cardinals and Yankees won must win games to force a fifth game.

Heart says Card will to it as will the Yankees. Brewers to seal it.

• Options
    Having watched the Rangers this year I thought they were pony, surprised to see how well they've been doing.
  • Options
    You watched the Rangers? Whereabouts was that??