Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swine Flu - How worried are you?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]I'm between B and C

Went to Mexico in January, Wife and I felt ill when we got back but put it down to jetlag. Now we're wondering if we may have had a version of this 'flu. Does anyone know if they can check to see if, A) we've had it and B) if we're now immune?

Go and see a doctor and don't come near me on Sunday ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]I'll get one of those masks for the missus

Lady Irving works in an operating theatre. I'll see if I can get a job lot to sell on Sunday.

Cracking idea, we can all dress up as F-troop
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

Lady Irving works in an operating theatre. I'll see if I can get a job lot to sell on Sunday.

The 60's American Comedy TV series or the other lot : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]I'm between B and C

Went to Mexico in January, Wife and I felt ill when we got back but put it down to jetlag. Now we're wondering if we may have had a version of this 'flu. Does anyone know if they can check to see if, A) we've had it and B) if we're now immune?

Your blood will contain measurable antibodies if you had caught it. Highly unlikely that you did have it, you'd have been flattened, genuine flu is vicious. But past infection will not guarantee any immunity as the viruses mutate with time. I'll wait and see how things develop. Having had Asian flu when I was 20 and being off work for five weeks, it's not something that I take lightly.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]

The 60's American Comedy TV series or the other lot : - )
    I wanna be Harry the dog for a day
  • Options
    call the gp, don't go in and spread it to all the sick vulnerable people at the doctors surgery....
  • Options
    B

Never worried about these sort of things in this country, but off to Spain soon and always feel more vulnerable being ill when abroad.
  • Options
    I'm not overly worried at the moment so B for me. Those who think this is currently being overhyped though should check out the wiki link below:

1918 Flu Pandemic

You will see that somewhere between 20 and 100 million people died globally from the flu. Check specifically the bit about cytokine storm, which is to do with an overreaction of the body's immune system. If it becomes clear that a high proportion of healthy adults in the 20 - 40 age range are dying, that is the time to worry. Remember also that the virus mutates all the time so the strain may become more virulent.
  • Options
    Come on Bing, the medical world has progressed immensely since 1918!!
  • Options
    I'm not bothered at all!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    so has global transport and population density, also use of drugs (and resistance of diseases to them)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Come on Bing, the medical world has progressed immensely since 1918!!

Have you been to the Medway hospital recently.
  • Options
    The truth is that at this point in proceedings nobody knows whats going to happen. What is clear is that the virus is capable of human to human spread and the pattern of spread indicates a pandemic will happen. The key will be how virulent the virus turns out to be. Cause for real concern certainly. The fact that a British government is willing to spend money to buy enough Tamiflu to treat 55 million people should be proof enough of the seriousness.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]so has global transport and population density, also use of drugs (and resistance of diseases to them)

Global transport actually makes epidemics less likely as people in the UK will already have been exposed to a virus whilst on holiday etc.

in 1918 there were huge movements of people around the world for the first time with little understanding of infection control, no immunity built up and often people living on poor diets in some cases due to blockades etc.

There is also an argument that the "spanish flu" wasn't flu at all but the Black Death returned. Not sure that is true but it is a stance some science historians take.

Drugs don't cause mutations. Drugs kill viruses but, as Charlie D said, those with the ability to resist the drug will survive and breed. So a new drug is developed and so on and on.

Drugs are our friends they just won't always work in every situation on every virus.
  • Options
    A for me, completely blown out of all proportion
  • Options
    Medders, that is absolutely right but listening to epidemiologists on the radio yesterday lead me to believe that they are taking nothing for granted. The biggest problem is whether the virus creates cytokine storm reactions. If modern treatment using retro-viral medicines (Tamiflu) is successful provided it's given early enough, that may be great. The worry from the reports coming out of Mexico is thatmainly healthy adults are dying. This maybe false, maybe thousands have been infected in a mild way and just a few have gone on to develop life threatening symptoms.

There are still facets of the 1918 epidemic that are unclear. What is clear is that the flu was most devastating to healthy adults. Having seen and read quite a bit about this, it is clear that this kind of potential mutated virus profile is one the authorities have been fearing. What is not clear is how severe the strain is, how good the retro viral drugs are to suppress it and how quickly it will spread before a vaccine can be manufactured. Worried, I am not at this stage, concerned I certainly am.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Come on Bing, the medical world has progressed immensely since 1918!!

Have you been to the Medway hospital recently.

It's a lovely place...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]The truth is that at this point in proceedings nobody knows whats going to happen. What is clear is that the virus is capable of human to human spread and the pattern of spread indicates a pandemic will happen. The key will be how virulent the virus turns out to be. Cause for real concern certainly. The fact that a British government is willing to spend money to buy enough Tamiflu to treat 55 million people should be proof enough of the seriousness.

Spot on.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [quote]Global transport actually makes epidemics less likely as people in the UK will already have been exposed to a virus whilst on holiday etc.

(I know what you're saying here but I'm not sure that is necessarily true in every case, look at AIDS for example).

Drugs don't cause mutations. Drugs kill viruses but, as Charlie D said, those with the ability to resist the drug will survive and breed. So a new drug is developed and so on and on.

Drugs are our friends they just won't always work in every situation on every virus.[/quote]

I think the last statement is a bit naieve, drugs are made by huge corporations/multinationals who overriding interest is profit.
  • Options
    B for me, the difference from past pandemics (if it gets to that level) are both the anti viral drugs and the Immune suppressants that will be used.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]The truth is that at this point in proceedings nobody knows whats going to happen. What is clear is that the virus is capable of human to human spread and the pattern of spread indicates a pandemic will happen. The key will be how virulent the virus turns out to be. Cause for real concern certainly. The fact that a British government is willing to spend money to buy enough Tamiflu to treat 55 million people should be proof enough of the seriousness.

Spot on.

Didnt the government do the same for bird flu? And look what happened there?!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    one of the few things the government has got 'right' - recognising that something like this is inevitable
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Global transport actually makes epidemics less likely as people in the UK will already have been exposed to a virus whilst on holiday etc.

(I know what you're saying here but I'm not sure that is necessarily true in every case).

Drugs are our friends they just won't always work in every situation on every virus.

I think the last statement is a bit naieve, drugs are made by huge corporations/multinationals who overriding interest is profit.[/quote]

Why naive? Drugs do work. Anti-biotics save lives every day. Every operation, every infection that we have we take drugs.

Many of us would have died in our childhoods or when ill 100 or even 50 years ago as the drugs weren't available. now we don't get the diseases of childhood that we saw when I was young (not that long ago). Measles, mumps, rubella. All can kill. Polio, smallpox now almost non-existant. Would my son have survived pneumonia at Xmas without drugs? Maybe, maybe not. With them he is now fine.

Yes, the drug companies are in it for money and they don't sell to the third world at fair or affordable prices to control HIV for example. Some drugs are over prescribed or not available but overall the world is a lot better place healthwise for the drugs we have now than it was in 1918.
  • Options
    I would probably say B. Although currently I would say worried is the wrong word. I would describe myself as interested. Just keeping aware of what is going on which is probably the most sensible precaution.

oh yes I am also stocking up on canned goods, bottled water, generator fuel and ammunition. I am also installing a new lock on the bunker and have stolen the neighbours devil dog and am training it to attack anyone when I utter the phrase 'millwall'
  • Options
    Is it just me or does 20 - 100 million seem a bit broad?
  • Options
    Vaccine will take at least 6 months to produce. The virus at present is sensitive to the drug oseltamivir but because the equivalent human seasonal H1N1 has recently and suddenly developed resistance, this virus may also develop resistance. The drug will be very hard to acquire.

Thats a bit of a email I recieved at work.
    On the Henry scale I'm a B but know becoming a C is pointless
  • Options
    B for me at the minute but if a vaccine was on offer I'd be first in the queue with family members....

LOL, Kigelia. Might have to keep our 6 chooks, 2 goats, 5 sheep & 2 cows in the house too.

OK - I lied about the goats, sheep, & cows !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Spot on.

Didnt the government do the same for bird flu? And look what happened there?!

Oh, and Tamiflu is the same drug that is used to treat bird flu... so are the government actually buying a new load of Tamiflu or simply using stocks it purchased for the bird flu scare? Anyone for a bit of spin?
  • Options
    Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu - by Huey 'Piano' Smith and the Clowns. Great record.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Didnt the government do the same for bird flu? And look what happened there?!

Oh, and Tamiflu is the same drug that is used to treat bird flu... so are the government actually buying a new load of Tamiflu or simply using stocks it purchased for the bird flu scare? Anyone for a bit of spin?[/quote]

Tamiflu is a retro viral drug so would of course be the drug of choice for any strain of flu in the absence of a vaccine. The evidence proves that we are long overdue a pandemic and I think it very prudent and pro-active of our government to be so well prepared. Prepared is the key word here.