Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swine Flu - How worried are you?

Comments

• Options
    Flu kills dont matter if its swine,asian, or f**kin lamb chop flu people die of it and always have. Over 500 in UK have swine flu and 4 deaths all with bigger health problems.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not certain, but I think the concern with swine flu is not so much about the effect on most people, but how easily it's spreading. That means it's more likely to be passed on to be people with underlying medical conditions, who can't fight it off so easily.
  • Options
    WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIE
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIE
    Eventually, yes. From the reports of the lifers meet up though, I suspect that most of us are more at risk from alcohol poisoning than swine flu.
  • Options
    Having a bbq tomorrow and one of my girlfriends teaching friends can't come because her school has loads of swineflu infections and she doesn't know if she's carrying the virus. I'd usually just shrug my shoulders but with the gf being 7 months pregnant you start to assess risks slightly differently.
  • Options
    SWINE FLU AT HOGWARTS!
    Headline tonight on the itv news, as apparently one of the cast has been off for a couple of days with it.
  • Options
    A couple of my mates have it, and the guy (a semi-famous rock star) who was supposed to play my local tonight had to cancel 'cause he's suspected of having it too. No biggie from what I hear, just phone NHS Direct with your symptoms, they send someoneone round to drop Tamiflu through your letterbox then you have to hole up in your flat/house/room for three or four days. That's what's happened to those I know anyway.
  • Options
    Like has been said before. Its not so much this strain thats the concern its later in the year when it could mutate into something nasty. We already know it can easily be passed on.
  • Options
    what's the situation like in Australia? It's their winter at the moment, would be interesting to know if it's bad down under.

Any exiles able to give us details?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just found out my flat mate might have it, he has been sick as a pig (sorry!) the last few days, he rang his doctor who looked through his notes and said he hasn't got too much to worry about as he hasn't got any underlying health problems. Should I be worried now? What are the chances I get it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    50% of the poulation at least will eventually be infected.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Should I be worried now? What are the chances I get it?

Do you have any underlying health problems? If not, then you've already answered your own question!

Similar chance of catching it as if he had the normal flu. Take normal precautions like minimizing contact with him and follow basic hygiene guidelines - hand washing, using tissue when sneezing etc.

Bottom line though, don't worry about it. If you're going to catch it, you're going to catch it. The NHS is often slated but they are well prepared for this.
  • Options
    Thanks Medders, I didn't mean worried as in will I die just worried about my chances of catching it, just looking at the state of him this week really don't fancy that with the amount of work I have on at the moment
  • Options
    A girl at work has got it, my nephew has it and a few kids at my son's school have it. Welling / Bromley/ Orpington.

We're all doomed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]A girl at work has got it, my nephew has it and a few kids at my son's school have it. Welling / Bromley/ Orpington.

We're all doomed.

Which school is that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]A girl at work has got it, my nephew has it and a few kids at my son's school have it. Welling / Bromley/ Orpington.

We're all doomed.

Which school is that?

Bishops Justus
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We have it at AXA in Redhill!Well not be but some staff!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]We have it at AXA in Redhill!Well not be but some staff!
    You sure you haven't got it? Sounds like you've got a cold from that post...
  • Options
    Those nancy boys from Nancy have cancelled their pre season tour of the UK because of the swine 'flu.

Typical French.
  • Options
    lol ha ha ha didn't even notice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]We have it at AXA in Redhill!Well not be but some staff!
    A fellow AXA employee eh Dazzler? Sounds like there is a few cases round PPP
  • Options
    Year 5 came back from a residential trip today and none of them were allowed back into the school. Most of them were suffering from flu like symptoms.

Most of the Schools my girlfriend works in in Greenwich have cases. My girlfriend has it.

I seem to be ok at the moment. It seems pretty mild.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Those nancy boys from Nancy have cancelled their pre season tour of the UK because of the swine 'flu.

Typical French.

I've heard the smell of garlic can ward it off.....................................................or was that vampires?
  • Options
    A 'healthy' bloke has just died from this in Essex. RIP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]A 'healthy' bloke has just died from this in Essex. RIP.
    Now should I be worried? My flatmate works in Basildon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Those nancy boys from Nancy have cancelled their pre season tour of the UK because of the swine 'flu.

Typical French.

I've heard the smell of garlic can ward it off.....................................................or was that vampires?

The smell of vampires ?
  • Options
    Micah Richards has had a dose of swine 'flu

Love the quote: "At first I thought it was a really bad chest infection, or maybe alcohol poisoning,"
  • Options
    Thought I had it this morning, but Sandra insisted it was "just" a hangover....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thought I had it this morning, but Sandra insisted it was "just" a hangover....

So I've caught this hangover from you?

Keep your poxy headaches to yourself in future ;(
  • Options
    Just found out that one of my colleagues has got it. So it's in TfL! God help us! ;-)