Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey speculation

Comments

• Options
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6116529,00.html
  • Options
    It would be very disapointing if he left but I can see the logic in it from both sides.

From his perspective, I'm sure he expected much more first team action and without regular reserve games he hasn't had a chance to force his way into the first team and get match sharpness. A move to a big club with all the facilities and opportunities for loan outs may offer a better chance for his development.

I can understand not putting him in a four man midfield because despite his height and workrate he still doesn't have that natural strength that come as you grow into your body as a youngster, having said that, I think he should have been used in a five man midfield far more frequently, particuarly in the months either side of Christmas when we basically lost the ability to play football.

From the clubs perspective, it risks alienating fans but would offer short term financial security. Their is the risk that it may take more time for him to develop into a regular centre mid in a 4 (I make it a year tops), if this is the case and we are in this league the danger is that we don't see the best of him and are then forced to sell him when his contract is closer to expiry, he wants to leave and the club is in no position to barter over the fee.

If it does happen it will be a sad indiciment of the clubs current off field situation that we may never see the best of our brightest prospect since Parker but he'll go with our best wishes.
  • Options
    I think the club could really do with the 3 million and Jon Jo needds to move away from the current mgmt at this club so 1 or 2 things needed to happen we needed to go up or parky needed to leave

from what i have heard the reasons behind his ommision are laughable and down right ridiculous and for another time

Jon good luck mate if Kenny Dalglish thiks youve got something dont give two shits what a fool like parkinson thinks,

thanks for not doing a bostock i for one will watch your career flourish good luck fella you come from good stock have got a great supportive family behind you and you are now moving to a club full of history and passion

good luck have a fantastic time and savour every single minute
  • Options
    i hope it's 3 million up front ................rather than 1.5m and he has to score a hatrick on the moon for us to get the rest
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i hope it's 3 million up front ................rather than 1.5m and he has to score a hatrick on the moon for us to get the rest

knowing our luck he'd score 2 & then he'll miss a one-on-one in the last minute.
  • Options
    I think he will make his mark in the final few games...so long as we pass the ball around instead of hoiking the ball up to our midget forwards. The obvious thing about Jonjo is that he has excellent ball control, passes well and reads the game well, especially for a 17 year old. That should serve him well in a higher division. Last time I saw him, at Milton keynes, he reminded me of a raw Gerrard. He could learn a lot from Gerrard but it appears he is off abroard in the summer.
  • Options
    I presume he's a straight replacement for Gerrard :-)
  • Options
    Good luck to him, will be interesting to see if Rafa will still be his manager when he starts next season.
  • Options
    According to SLP.

CHARLTON Athletic have admitted for the first time that they are prepared to sell Jonjo Shelvey this summer.

The Addicks are in talks about a deal to sell the 18-year-old and it is understood the attacking midfielder could agree a move away from The Valley before the end of the season.

Charlton chairman Richard Murray confirmed the South Londoners are currently negotiating with an unnamed club, though he refused to be drawn on that team’s identity.

“There has been some interest shown in the player but we’re some way off doing a deal,” Murray told the South London Press.

But it is understood that Liverpool are in pole position to buy the academy graduate, with Rafael Benitez poised to beat Chelsea chief Carlo Ancelotti to his signature.

For the full story and all the latest Charlton news, see Tuesday's South London Press.
  • Options
    Way off doing a deal.....read:Gone by Friday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone who thinks it will be £3m is living in cloud cuckoo land.

There will be so many clauses you could shake a stick at it; x games, england caps, booker prize, platinum album etc etc
  • Options
    2M with the add-ons job
  • Options
    I think we'll be lucky to get £1m up front.

He is being sold purely on reputation, lets be honest. He's good, very good in fact but he hasnt played this season enough to justify a big fee.
  • Options
    Wasn't played in his right position by our manager
  • Options
    If Liverpool are willing to pay 3 mil then they must rate him so what is wrong with Parky by not playing him.....if he had a good season we could have got 5 mil and possibly promotion.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]If Liverpool are willing to pay 3 mil then they must rate him so what is wrong with Parky by not playing him.....if he had a good season we could have got 5 mil and possibly promotion.....

c'mon, surely you have learnt by now the mantra that Parky knows what he is doing ........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Anyone who thinks it will be £3m is living in cloud cuckoo land.

There will be so many clauses you could shake a stick at it; x games, england caps, booker prize, platinum album etc etc

You are probably right, however, these reports could spark a bidding war between Liverpool, Chelsea and maybe a couple of others (Spurs?), so the initial price could be bumped up that factor.

Chelsea would be the best bet for a bigger up-front payment, Liverpool the worst given their current finances.
  • Options
    don't think it will be £3m.

what's the record transfer fee paid to a third tier team?

(it's probably one of our pardew deals)
  • Options
    Well its looking closer than I thought but I cant blame the lad for one moment just wish we had used him a lot more.

We did without doubt play our best football of the season with him in the side.

I would hope it'll be 1.5m upfront plus add ons. What did Moses go for and he had played and scored at championship level 3m?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]don't think it will be £3m.

Delph to Villa last year?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a real shame as there is nothing like one of your own making it, but at the moment he is the least important of our midfielders and I hope it means we can hold on to a good few of the others.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]don't think it will be £3m.

Delph to Villa last year?

That was quoted £8 million, don't know how much of that was add ons etc though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Anyone who thinks it will be £3m is living in cloud cuckoo land.

I really hope that they learn from past folly and go for as much of the fee as is possible. Sell-ons and conditional add ons are so often there to give the selling club a warm feeling . With the experience of recent deals for Bent and Turner I'd hope we say - we need readies, we'll sell to the best offer.
  • Options
    A sell-on clause is imperative in this case, especially if he doesn't end up going to a top 4 club.
  • Options
    i remember after Delph went to villa, Parky said he considered Shelvey to be a better player and should be worth more than £8m... and by doing a quick search here's that story http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/4537444.Parky__Shelvey_is_better_than_Villa_star/

i'm hoping the £2-3m is the cash up front and then there are clauses on top of that as well. and i also hope that part of the deal is for him to be loaned back to us next season... but then i'm an eternal optimist
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]and i also hope that part of the deal is for him to be loaned back to us next season...
    Waits for the "but we'd never play him" comment.
  • Options
    if he spends some time during the summer in the gym we might.
  • Options
    tragically under-used

dont blame him if he wants to leave, though we can hopefully get more than 3mill. look how much was paid for delph
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]if he spends some time during the summer in the gym we might.

Oh i'm sure he will be rushing down there now just in case he is
  • Options
    Says £3m in The Times today. To be honest, Villa paid well over the odds for Delph at £8m and I'm sure that deal was dependent on plenty of add ons. I would say between £3-5m is about right.

Don't want to sound like I'm trying to get rid of Jonjo here but surely if he is going then this is where Waggott could be really earning his money by trying to get a higher fee for the player like Ken Bates did for Leeds with Delph by either trying to get a bit more out of Liverpool or involve Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal and start a bidding war.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!