Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shelvey speculation

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Sat with a Newcastle scout for the Barnet game and he said "all I look for with youngsters is can they pass and can they control a ball" he then said there was a distinct lack of either attributes on show.

He did like Mambo though

personally I can see NUFC having that kind of wedge at this stage but seeing as they are certs to go up maybe they can afford the outlay
    can't see him wanting to go there anyway - most fickle fans in Britain

Not much of a scout if he thinks he cant trap or pass a ball. I think since he turned pro there have been constant links to him going to the north east. Why the bloody north east who would want to go up there ???
  • Yeah im sure we had this convo when he was linked to Boro or someone. Can't see him going up north, can see him sticking in London or nearby.
  • edited April 2010
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/valiant-kid-jonjo-s-kop-calling

It's starting up again.
    Valiant kid Jonjo's Kop calling

Liverpool are ready to snap up Charlton superkid Jonjo Shelvey in a £2 million-plus move.

The Anfield club hope to tie up a quick deal for the attacking midfielder who has made almost 50 first team appearances for the Valiants, despite being just 18.

Shelvey has been linked with Chelsea and Arsenal since making his big breakthrough and also emerging through the international youth ranks.

However Liverpool - whose moves for top talent is being masterminded by Kenny Dalglish - expect to seal the transfer within weeks.

The gifted Essex boy would follow QPR kid Raheem Sterling to the Kop with the England babe already part of the emerging new-look at Liverpool.

The Merseysiders are also tracking Manchester United's young striker John Cofie as they look to bring in young British talent.

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: Sunday People
  • Are they after Racon and Bailey too?
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Are they after Racon and Bailey too?

Dont be silly why would they be ?
  • What could Liverpool offer that we can't? Stick with us Jonjo and Parky might even let you sit on the bench one day!
  • Good enough for Liverpool. Not good enough for Parky.
  • Is £2m a good deal? I'd push for a bit more so that Parky could add a bit more quality in some areas of the team and keep some of the loanees regardless of what division we are in.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Good enough for Liverpool. Not good enough for Parky.[/quote]

Assuming the story is true, do you really think that Liverpool are buying him for a 1st team place now. He'll be taken in slipped in to their reserves or U21 teamand hopefully in a couple of years appear a few times for the 1st team. The benefits for him apart form financial will be playing with quality players, more games albeit in the reserves and better facilities. The drawbacks include buying locking wheel nuts for his car.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]Good enough for Liverpool. Not good enough for Parky.

Assuming the story is true, do you really think that Liverpool are buying him for a 1st team place now. He'll be taken in slipped in to their reserves or U21 teamand hopefully in a couple of years appear a few times for the 1st team. The benefits for him apart form financial will be playing with quality players, more games albeit in the reserves and better facilities. The drawbacks include buying locking wheel nuts for his car.

Financially he'd be better off, but any Premier League club would only be signing him for the 6+5 rule at the moment. Look at Bostock and Delph...
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap - no I don't think that he will make the Liverpool 1st team now but in my opinion he should have been playing in our first team almost all of this season. It hurts me when I see someone like Racon keeping him out of the starting line up. Racon wouldn't even make the Liverpool reserve bench or, if younger, their U21s.
  • If Jonjo would be happy picking up a great wage, biding his time at Liverpool, moving away from home and the rest - good luck to him and I wish him all the best.

Hope he stays and next year becomes the lynchpin of the side; which if he stays I'm sure is his destiny
  • I just think it's sad that Charlton fans have been deprived from seeing the greatest talent to emerge since Scott Parker for the majority of the season. Also had he played more regularly, I think we'd have scored more goals and played better football. We may well have been looking forward to automatic promotion rather than the playoffs. Had we gained automatic promotion with Shelvey playing a major role there must have been an outside chance that he might still be with us next season.
    Liverpool would be a dream move for him, learning from his idol Steven Gerrard.
  • Why would he go to Liverpool, they have not had a young player break through to the first team for years? (I do not think you can count Lucas/Insua)

Also 2million? that better include a lot of add ons!
  • I didn't expect Jonjo to play 46 league games this season anymore than I did Christian Dailly whom has confounded expectations.

However, making due allowance for "rests" because of his young age, I am puzzled as to why Jonjo has not featured more than he has particularly as neither Racon especially nor Bailey have played consistently well for some time.

I wish we could have seen more of Jonjo but wish him all the best for the future when, as he surely will, he leaves in the summer.

The bench or stand at a Premiership club is better than the bench or stand at a third division club.
  • One of the reasons i've become so disillusioned this season is Shelveys treatment. We've been hacking balls around because theres not a single passer in the side and nobody seems to care that the most talented ball player we've produced in years can't even get on the bench. In a way i hope Parkys hands have been tied over Shelvey because i actually like the guy and it would clear up a big question mark over his judgement.
  • If we play a midfield four that can't dominate the majority of tier three teams, then how the hell is Shelvey going to be a factor? What has been a shame is Parky's rare use of 4-5-1 for at least most away matches, whereby Shelvey could have been utilised a hell of a lot more. If he continues being tactically naive in midfield and innefective in a midfield four, then in this squad we can't really afford to keep him in the first 11.
  • There aint no benefit for jon to stay here i thinki he should go

good luck and best wishes mate

Not even good enough for us yet every club in the country has had a look and it looks like a top side are going to buy him.

poorest mgmt decision of the season by pp
  • but when we played 4 - 5- 1 with Shelvey that was derided as "negative" despite the relative success.

Shame but not totally unexpected IF true. He was bound to attract interest. Would rather he stayed but if he does go then I hope it's for more than £2m.
  • so IF he does go what would be considered a fair price ..... £2.5m? with a few add ons maybe
  • Sponsored links:

• Why would Liverpool want a player who doesn't make a 3rd division team's starting line up ? Tactics or not, you play your best players - or is Parkinson as tactical as a turd ? (upon reflection, turds can be tactical - like vomit)
  • I'm with PL54. Can't help but feel that if he were good enough for Liverpool then we wouldn't be able to leave him out of the side. Gerrard was playing in the Premiership when he was 18.

Or, of course, there is the good possibility that Parky is actually mental.
  • as Len Glover said none of us, probably JJ included, would have expected him to start anywhere near 46 games BUT his lack of action has been baffling to say the least. He should have started 25+ games this season and appeared the rest of the time off the bench. We have totally under utilised our best asset and in my opinion that is a disgrace. And yes, Parky is as tactical as a turd. In my opinion he couldn't run a bath.
  • My mate works in "office" in Lakeside and Jonjo came in with his girlfriend and was complaining he had to go Exeter on Saturday saying along the lines of "i cant be bothered to go Exeter at the weekend" when supposedly his girlfriend said back "youll only sit on the bench anyways"
  • edited April 2010
    There are reasons why he hasn't started in a 4 man midfield, but with games he will surely develop and work on those weaknesses. Maybe Parky just doesn't think he can risk letting him making mistakes which is a shame as Jonjo offers things other players don't.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]There are reasons why he hasn't started in a 4 man midfield, but with games he will surely develop and work on those weaknesses. Maybe Parky just doesn't think he can risk letting him making mistakes.

but he's prepared to have plenty others of them in the team making mistakes, many seasoned pro's ? Sorry but I just don't agree with that. If we were in the PL then ok but in League 1, no way.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]There are reasons why he hasn't started in a 4 man midfield, but with games he will surely develop and work on those weaknesses. Maybe Parky just doesn't think he can risk letting him making mistakes which is a shame as Jonjo offers things other players don't.

Drives me nuts that Semedo is the ideal partner for someone like Shelvey. Can't think of a better purely defensive midfielder since Keith Jones.
  • why stay with us and warm the bench when he could do that at Liverpool and pick up more money and further his education playing and training with better players.Phil Parkinson has given Jonjo no incentive to stay.Parky you are a complete tool & your you moan you have been given nothing to spend, but don't even play the most talented player in the squad,that says it all really.
  • [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]My mate works in "office" in Lakeside and Jonjo came in with his girlfriend and was complaining he had to go Exeter on Saturday saying along the lines of "i cant be bothered to go Exeter at the weekend" when supposedly his girlfriend said back "youll only sit on the bench anyways"

Looks like he got his wish then!

He'd do well at Liverpool, their players haven't been bothered all season either!
  • why would jonjo go into a office in Lakeside maybe a shop but a office,what a complete load of bollocks.Red Robin what's your problem with Jonjo don't you think he should have started more games ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!