Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dowie , The TRUTH

123457»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]Yes, but he was worth it.

Disagree. I think that Euell was overpriced. Not saying he was a bad player, far from it, but overpriced nonetheless.

I think Euell was overpriced but in the context of the time probably not and we did get use out of him until he became persona non grata
  • Options
    Anyone who scores the goals that keep you in the Premier League is probably not over-priced so in that regard Euell was worth the money. But looking at his ability etc, his true value would have been closer to £2.5m. In the old days (the 80's) before Bosman, it was easier to gauge a player's value and I would have put Euell down as a £400,000 man when he joined Charlton. Say better than Andy Jones but still not quite proven.

Gary Rowett struck me as someone who was a bit over-priced (but that may have had something to do with the length of his contract at Leicester) whereas players like Hreidarsson, Fish, Holland and Kharkouri looked pretty reasonable value at £1m or a bit less. Maybe we need a new thread...Best Value Charlton Players (John Robinson, Keith Jones etc....)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I think he was probably referring to Bent.

Marcus Bent was definitely overpriced!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I think he was probably referring to Bent.

Yes, I was.
  • Options
    I heard at the time that there were some extra-marital shenanigans going on too...
  • Options
    http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2007/1392.html

Dont Know if anyone has seen this or posted before but its a good and interesting read on what went on behind the scenes of dowies appointment as manager.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite][url]http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2007/1392.html[/url]

Dont Know if anyone has seen this or posted before but its a good and interesting read on what went on behind the scenes of dowies appointment as manager.[/quote]

I tried to read it I really did.. but lost interest after the Mr Jordan = fool, comment
  • Options
    thanks I saw- hadnt seen this before - very heavy but very interesting.

Putting the actual case to one side the managers options are interesting. Basically we had 5 candidates interviewed
    Davies , who was offered the job but then turned us down - never know why unless Davies speaks (seemed very odd to me though that our main last contact with him was with Mills while Murray and Varney were offering the job via Davies's lawyer.
    Taylor - who withdrew after interview (but wasnt offered the job
    Dowie
    and 2 others, one who is pretty certainly Mick McCarthy and 1 other unknown.
    The truth is there weren't many sensible and likely candidates at the time. however I would love to know why Davies and Taylor rejected us (was it read and robson, was it mills, was it .....?)

on the legal side it seems the judge basically said dowie was a liar and jordan was a naive but innocent little thing. however as they couldnt give him the palace job back let's forget it all, get on with our lives while me and my legal mates go and collect our big fat cheques.
  • Options
    No.5....Joe Royle?
  • Options
    Just shows how dire our selection pool was to be honest.

A very public recruitment process yielded only just over 100 responses, you'd imagine including a fair few comical Football Manager CV's and only a dozen candidates with the requisite experience.

Our final 5 was then:

AN Other
    AN Other
    Peter Taylor
    Iain Dowie
    Billy Davies

Assuming the AN Other's aren't ground shattering then if that's all we could attract as a relatively stable mid-table London PL club with evidently £15mil or so to spend, what hope did we have?! Billy Davies was pretty much the only sensible candidate and he (allegedly) baulked at working under our continental-style, imposed management structure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm pretty sure one of the other two interviewed for the job was Mick McCarthy and Dave Jones may have been the fifth.

This link is very interesting and gives an insight into how football works behind the scenes.

It appears to me that Dowie just whored himself out to every club going.

Doesn't look like we did much wrong at all to be honest.

The Billy Davies U-turn remains a mystery to me though. Maybe it was something Andrew Mills said to him when they were waiting outside? Something like... "Well I've already signed you Cory Gibbs, Djimi Traore and Amdy Faye..."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Just shows how dire our selection pool was to be honest.

A very public recruitment process yielded only just over 100 responses, you'd imagine including a fair few comical Football Manager CV's and only a dozen candidates with the requisite experience.

I applied and I refute your comments about a dire selection pool! Got my rejection letter from Peter Varney proudly displayed on my desk at work - "....you do not hold the relevant qualifications required by the FA Premier League....." - Pah! You would think my experience captaining a successful pub pool team in the Sevenoaks & District Wednesday Night League (Division 2) would have encouraged them to at least consider requesting a special dispensation.

In all seriousness though, Billy Davies aside, that is a pretty depressing shortlist. Having read the judges decision, it would appear that we may have been a bit sneaky in approaching Dowie. However, generally speaking, I think we probably paid the price for trying to do things the right way by publicly inviting applications rather than going round tapping up managers as so many other clubs have done over the years. You only have to look at Norwich's "illegal" appointment of Paul Lambert from Colchester last year - now reaping the rewards of deciding who they wanted and going out and getting them. £425k awarded by the Football League Tribunal looks like a drop in the ocean.
  • Options
    Very interesting read - thanks for posting
  • Options
    mick mcarthy was definitely one of the interviewed ones but didn't interview well , he was curbs pick ....

So murray got sucked in by the dowie spiel and put off davies with his wizardry choice of own backroom staff
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    I remember someone posting a comment that Neil Warnock was interviewed but Murray told him that he would not get the job. If that was the case...shame. In retrospect Mick would also have been miles better than Dowie. Easy with hindsight.
  • Options
    I thought Curbs first choice was Dave Jones.
  • Options
    Didn't Sammy Lee interview?
  • Options
    Davies thought it was too big of a challenge to follow curbs I read somewhere...
  • Options
    Interesting. I was in court to see a day of that case (Davies' uncle and Peter Taylor gave evidence) and it was eye-opening. I remember the judge being a bit star-struck having a former England manager in his witness box. Funny that a judgement involving Dowie refers to a case involving the Spice Girls and a scooter company, too...

Paragraph 126 says it all, though: "it was not worth speaking to Mr Dowie that night as he was having a few pints with the boys"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Paragraph 126 says it all, though:"it was not worth speaking to Mr Dowie that night as he was having a few pints with the boys"

That was with his two mates

Al Cohol & Duncan Disorderly