Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Puncheon

edited July 2009 in Rumours
Kenny Jackett hopes to beat Charlton to the signature of Plymouth's Jason Puncheon.

Winger Puncheon (above) was on loan at MK Dons last season but can now quit Argyle for around £150,000, a fee agreed by both South London outfits.

Lions boss Jackett is favourite and Puncheon expects to sign a contract in the next few days.

Comments

• that'll be a low blow if they get him.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]that'll be a low blow if they get him.

What a great way to start the week a player choosing to join the Spanners over us.....................assuming this report is true of course.
  • His wife judy is worried about all the crocadile attacks in se london and how she will look after her baby and all the sausages...
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]His wife judy is worried about all the crocadile attacks in se london and how she will look after her baby and all the sausages...

LOL...How's the job hunting going ATA?
  • He is not worth 150k. One season Puncheon above his weight.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]His wife judy is worried about all the crocadile attacks in se london and how she will look after her baby and all the sausages...

Quality
  • Still nowt big Mc, worst thing is I must have applied for 100 plus jobs by now and and I've only had 2 replies, I know loads of people are out of work but a letter or an email saying sorry u were unsucesslful would be nice.
  • edited July 2009
    Surely we have to be seen as a better option than Millwall?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Surely we have to be seen as a better option than Millwall?

Surely we can attract better players than Puncheon...... ?

Argyle won't just be letting him go without good reason.
  • Saw him playing for Barnet a couple of years ago. Looked like a pretty handy League 2 player but nothing to suggest he warranted playing any higher up the League. Millwall welcome to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think he went on loan to MK Dons and did well there so he can obviously cut it in our league.

People need to be realistic. We're in league one and we're potless. You aren't going to get many good players for 150k, plus buying him means one over on Millwall!
  • Decent player, though have heard talk of an attitude problem.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Decent player, though have heard talk of an attitude problem.

If he can play football then i'm not fussed if he's a bit stroppy.
  • The site admin of Plymouth's main forum says the deal was sorted a long time ago and it was for more than £150k but he doesn't say who he's signed for.
  • Left footed left winger - at least it gives a clue that we should be looking for players in that position.
  • According to Plymouth fans who appear to be ITK, it looks like Millwall have had a bid accepted, rumoured to be around £300k with add ons.

We are said to be interested, but uncertain over whether we will be able to match the asking price.

Puncheon appears a good player, but has had problems in not being seen as a team player on and off the pitch, and reputedly has a charlie big potatoes attitude.
  • Claridge's scouting report from Jan 07

Jason Puncheon, Barnet

Steve Claridge
    The Guardian, Tuesday 16 January 2007

I went down to League Two on Saturday with an open mind to watch the two form teams in the division, Barnet and Macclesfield, and there was one player who left a lasting impression on me. Jason Puncheon was released by Milton Keynes Dons last summer and given a month-to-month deal at Underhill, but he played with an enthusiasm and hunger that shouted: "I want a contract and I want to make it in professional football."

He certainly has what it takes, though I can also see why Danny Wilson released him. Puncheon started as a midfielder but, as he was on Saturday, has been used recently as a striker where his style suggests he could flourish. Yet his record shows only one goal in 42 appearances for the Dons, and only four in 29 so far for Barnet. Last week he scored a spectacular winning goal to knock Colchester out of the FA Cup, a strike which lent weight to the view that this is a player more likely to conjure a stunning goal than score a simple, scrappy tap-in. But he is extremely versatile and can play wide on the left, behind the front two, up front as a conventional striker or, perhaps, on the left side of a three in midfield.

Against Macclesfield he found himself in all four of those positions as Barnet went for pace and movement up front. As a centre-forward, the 20-year-old was always on the move, though possibly too much of his movement took place too far from goal as he dropped deep or out wide in search of the ball. As a result he was very rarely on the end of moves, meaning the two wide players or a midfielder had to break into the box to partner Adam Birchall, the other centre-forward, when the ball was played into the penalty area.

I would imagine on Saturday's evidence that the goals he has scored have come from him picking the ball up and running at defenders, driving them back until within shooting range. He needs no second invitation to have a go. A player who unsettles defenders, he must approach every game full of energy and confidence because if you're not going to be a big scorer you have to affect the team positively with other parts of your game.

To that end, Puncheon offered good quality from wide and was a really willing recipient of the ball in all areas of the pitch. He is a tough cookie in the tackle and defends from the front - the type to get a team and crowd going with the way he applies himself.

His versatility in League Two is not so much of a problem because he clearly has enough quality to demand selection - he would probably be first-choice as a striker or a winger.

If he moves up the League he would have to make a position his own because that same versatility could condemn him to life as a squad player. But, for the moment, Paul Fairclough is using him in a particular way at Barnet and it is working well. This type of player deserves his chance. If attitude alone can get you somewhere, he will hopefully make a decent living out of the game.

Scouting report

Age 20

Born Croydon

Position Attacking midfielder

Height 5ft 8in

Weight 12st

Shooting 8/10

Heading 6/10

Tackling 8/10

Passing 7/10

Crossing 8/10

Pace 8/10

Attitude 8/10

Team responsibility 8/10

Potential value £200,000-300,000
  • Height 5ft 8in ......

Have we already got too many less than physically imposing players for this league?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Height 5ft 8in ......

Have we already got too many less than physically imposing players for this league?

Maradonna was only 5ft 5in and Puskas wasn't much bigger. And Puncheson isn't 8st 2lbs is he?

Size isn't everything Oggy as my wife keeps telling everyone else!
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Height 5ft 8in ......

Maradonna was only 5ft 5in and Puskas wasn't much bigger. And Puncheson isn't 8st 2lbs is he?

Size isn't everything Oggy as my wife keeps telling everyone else!

It's amazing AA that some people's wives can be satisfied with so little.
    A lot of people will no doubt draw great encouragement from your story.

;o)

Anyway, sorry about my warped sense of humour - and back to the football.

There's nothing wrong with smaller players - I only meant to point out, that Charlton are aleady generally a fairly physically lightweight team in a physical league, and maybe another small, lightweight player is not what we need right now.

All about opinions, of course!
  • Sponsored links:

• if they get him and if he is any good then it will show our club is in a proper bloody mess.
  • Paul Sturrock has said that no offers have been made for Puncheon and any possible deal is in the future, if at all. Sounds like another media story without substance.
  • I've seen him a few times and don't think he's that good. Not bothered either way. He's certainly not proven at League 1 level.
  • Signed for MK Dons on season long loan.
  • So much for all the ITK Plymouth fans then
  • The tale twists again

SLP Exclusive: Addicks set to hijack Puncheon deal

Wednesday, 05 August 2009

By Richard Cawley

CHARLTON Athletic are set to make a late bid for the services of Plymouth striker Jason Puncheon - hijacking his proposed switch to MK Dons.

The 23-year-old was poised for a season-long loan with Paul Ince's side but the South London Press understands that the Addicks have made a move for the Croydon-born forward.

And former Wimbledon youngster Puncheon is thought to favour a switch to The Valley.

Millwall were also interested and made an official bid for Puncheon - who impressed on loan at MK Dons last season - but they did not meet Plymouth's valuation.

Don't miss Friday's South London Press for the latest Charlton news.
  • new owners flexing their muscles and out wadding the mk dons
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]new owners flexing their muscles and out wadding the mk dons

Must be. No other possible explanation ; - )
  • Would signing him end our interest in Small?

If we keep all the midfielders we have now, there's no room for Small or Puncheon in our first choice team.

Small is right footed while Puncheon is left footed, so we might prefer a left footer for better balance.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Would signing him end our interest in Small?

I was wondering that, and if he did come it will be interesting to see how we fit Bailey, Racon and Semedo into the 2 central spots.