Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• Job done!

Superbio!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Freddie continues. I wouldn't bet against him getting the last wicket. What a victory this should be, first since Australia at Lord's since 1934...[/quote]

And the time before that was 1896...
  • 75 years of hurt wiped out in a Freddie spurt!

Well done Swann as well. Stepped up and performed.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Freddie continues. I wouldn't bet against him getting the last wicket. What a victory this should be, first since Australia at Lord's since 1934...

And the time before that was 1896...

Our bowling has improved 1000% since Cardiff...
  • Did their very best to Embarrass us again, but I suppose a Grudging well done is in order.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Did their very best to Embarrass us again, but I suppose a Grudging well done is in order.

Quote 666!
  • What's the betting Chirpy will be on later moaning about not getting his moneys worth?

I bought tickets for a full days cricket not one session blah, blah, blah

:-)
  • How long until Glenn McGrath comes out and now predicts a 3-1 Aussie win...
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Did their very best to Embarrass us again, but I suppose a Grudging well done is in order.

Why grudging Ketters? I know you don't like cricket, but it's not as if it is preventing you watching something else while it's on, if it's not relevant to you, don't comment at all. You miserable bugger... ;-)
  • And the headline on the online edition of "The Australian" newspaper? "Chaminda Vaas to quit Test cricket"
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on !!!!
    Lost my 3-0 Aussie series win bet though - bothered !!!!

Despite what was said in the interviews, I dont think freddie will play rest of series, and KP will be touch and go for Edgbaston as well.

Fair play to Ponting for saying dubious decisions were irrelevant and that England deserved to win.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Fair play to Ponting for saying dubious decisions were irrelevant and that England deserved to win.
    Yeah. Fair play to him. Still a complete prick though.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]And the headline on the online edition of "The Australian" newspaper? "Chaminda Vaas to quit Test cricket"[/quote]

To be fair, it's stupid o'clock right now in Australia.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]And the headline on the online edition of "The Australian" newspaper? "Chaminda Vaas to quit Test cricket"

To be fair, it's stupid o'clock right now in Australia.
    To be even fairer, its actually only 10:50 PM. In the Modern Age Of The Internet Superhighway that's just bad form :)

My brother has just emailed me to tell me he's sitting piss-drunk in a bar in Melbourne in his England shirt giving it to anyone within earshot :)
  • Really? I thought it was later than that...

Tell your brother to have a drink for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Really? I thought it was later than that...

Tell your brother to have a drink for us.
    Jajaja - I think he's pissed enough already! I dread to think what he'll be like at work tomorrow... probably get sacked!
  • Just got into the office

Great morning at the home of cricket

Freddie was awesome

Well done to Ponting for his speech - admitted the better side won, regardless of decisions and actually got a round of applause for it
  • Luv it!!! My fone bill will be on the up this month after the calls I made over here today!
  • Now we've won it, don't just wish it was a little tighter. No,I suppose not. I was nervous coming into today's play.
  • Roll on Edgbaston.

But I am feeling a bit of anti-climax here, shouldn't the Church bells be ringing? Or fireworks? Surely there's been some celebratory rioting going on in Liverpool?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

What's the betting Chirpy will be on later moaning about not getting his moneys worth?

I bought tickets for a full days cricket not one session blah, blah, blah

:-)

Lol! I'd never moan about paying for what I saw yesterday, even it if it had been just 5 balls!

Anyway, everyone got a 50% refund.

Just bought tickets for Edgbaston 4th Day for me and my boys. It appears that some WCCC members have not taken up their option and I got tickets in a members area. £75 for and a score for the kids. Brilliant!
  • For those of you who like a t-shirt and a bit of Cricket

http://www.philosophyfootball.com/view_item.php?pid=497
  • England's squad for Edgbaston is the same squad for Lord's, minus KP.

For Australia Brett Lee is out.
  • Rain and a soggy outfield will delay kick-off.

No definitive news on the final teams, but Shane Watson will replace Philip Hughes for Australia.

Shane Watson is a decent middle-order batsman, but he has no form as an opener, and barely has any form as a Test batsman.
  • BFR, agree re: Watson

makes you wonder why the Ozzies came over with a squad full of all-rounders and no reserve opener

Watson is a 5/6 in one-day cricket and no more than that surely?

Freddie will be licking his lips...
  • Predictions anyone?

Rain induced draw with England on top
  • Hs's found the transition from State to Test cricket difficult with the bat, - for queensland he averages 47, for Australia 20, but he does offer more with the ball (averaging 30). For Australia Lee is out for this Test, Mitchell Johnson has bowled filth and although Siddle and Hilfenhaus are reliable bowlers neither look to me to be regular four/five wickets an innings bowlers so I can see why they want an extra bowler/all rounder in there, but I wouldn't play him above six in the order.

They should have brought a reserve opener/senior batsman over or even called up Justin Langer who's playing in England (and just broken Bradman's record for the most FC runs by an Australian). This is the problem with modern tours, generally teams play a couple of prep matches, go into the Tests and that's it. If you aren't playing in the Test team that's a very long time spent doing nothing, so touring teams tend these days to select the bare minimum, but it isn't as though this is the only cricket going on, Australia should at the very least have made sure that there were one or two players they could call on who are playing either County or club cricket and could be quickly called up in an emergency.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Predictions anyone?

Rain induced draw with England on top[/quote]

Hard to know before a ball is bowled. There's some talk that the pitch is under-prepared, Steve Rouse -the groundsman described it as being like "jelly", although that is over-stating it. Edgbaston generally plays well for batting teams, especially teams that bat first, although the ball does swing a bit there.

On the law of averages Australia should win the toss and I don't think that Ponting will make the same mistake as in 2005, win the toss and insert England. Then we scored 407 runs on day one, regained the initiative after the defeat at Lord's and never looked back.
  • Watson is a very decent batsmen, he certainly has the class to make Test match runs.

A right/left opening combination might mess up Englands opening bowlers as well. Fred does not bowl as well at right handers as he does at lefties so it could be a shrewd move from the Aussies.

They might actually bat Watson down the order and play Hussey as an opener.

TBH I would not mind if it pissed down for the rest of the series.
  • I would-I've got tickets for the Oval!