Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• BDLBDL
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Broad is simply not good enough.

??
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Broad is simply not good enough.

??
    To be fair, WSS was on about Broad's bowling - which has been ineffective in this series to say the least. I think he's definitely got enough to be a very good test bowler in his locker, but he isn't there yet. I, personally, wouldn't drop him - simply because bringing a young bowler in very early on in his career then dropping him when he doesn't pan out straight away can be very damaging to his confidence - but there's a definite argument to bringing Harmison in instead. His batting is a definite bonus - but he's in there to take wickets, not get runs, and I can understand people wondering what he's doing to justify his selection right now.
  • Agreed: His bowling has been poor, & the press saying "the new Flintoff"...........
    Like "The new Botham".............there won't be one.
    They are/were their own people.

An aside: How many people in the press are writing about the Truly Great Bobby Robson, yet less than 20 years ago were slagging HIM off ?
  • Ponting goes
  • Ponting's just gone for 5.

52-2 now. C'mon England.
  • This is getting good, what test cricket is all about.

Johnson, Swann and Broad all having a go has heated things up nicely.

I have sat indoors in my pants alone watching it, makes you proud to be British at times!!
  • Ha ha....me too....In yer pants....... in yer pants............ in yer pants......in yer pants...in yer pants....in yer paaants!
  • Can't beat it can u! Well tomorrow will be interesting! Sickie anyone?
  • Could go anyway tomorrow - Wish I was there.
  • I'm off tomorrow anyway, see you at 10.45 in the Dicko Slut Palace front row for the first delivery of the day

Snacks shall be peanut puffs and egg banjos with drinks to be served throughout the day.

Anyway got to jog now I'm going to watch my mates bird stripping down Chatham
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I'm off tomorrow anyway, see you at 10.45 in the Dicko Slut Palace front row for the first delivery of the day

Snacks shall be peanut puffs and egg banjos with drinks to be served throughout the day.

Anyway got to jog now I'm going to watch my mates bird stripping down Chatham

LOL...........my god, you know how to live Carter!
  • Fair comment about Broad, he's only going to get better and will only learn from playing in these games.

Going to be a cracking final day.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Fair comment about Broad, he's only going to get better and will only learn from playing in these games.

Aye - unless the f***ing weather ruins it, like it ruined my bastard barbecue yesterday
  • edited August 2009
    Apparently Harmison limped off the field at Durham this afternoon. Haven't heard any more though so presumably not serious.
    Harmy stop press: It's only a badly blistered big toe.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Fair comment about Broad, he's only going to get better and will only learn from playing in these games.

Aye - unless the f***ing weather ruins it, like it ruined my bastard barbecue yesterday

Yeah, and mine, got fooookin soaked i did!! Cracking BBQ tho lol

Leave Broad, yes he does not do what Flintoff does, yet anyway, as Leroy says down thread a dropping will ruin a proper cricketing prospect for us in the long term. He cannot at this stage consistantly do it with the ball, nor freddie at the same stage of his own career!! Lets leave him be eh dudes.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Fair comment about Broad, he's only going to get better and will only learn from playing in these games.

Yeah, and mine, got fooookin soaked i did!! Cracking BBQ tho lol

Leave Broad, yes he does not do what Flintoff does, yet anyway, as Leroy says down thread a dropping will ruin a proper cricketing prospect for us in the long term. He cannot at this stage consistantly do it with the ball, nor freddie at the same stage of his own career!! Lets leave him be eh dudes.
    MCS talking sense as usual.

Nice to hear your barbecue was OK. Mine was utter shite - I finally managed to get the fucker lit properly at about 7:00 in the evening - at which point it promptly pissed it down again - and I was left tending it with my brother in law holding a bloody deck umbrella over it to keep the rain off. Of course, it didn't bloody rain today, did it... so I got out there again and grilled about 800 sausages.
  • what happened to our heatwave summer! although I did hear that it was gonna be scorching in august. Any addick cricket fans gonna be at the valley early to catch some cricket on saturday?
  • ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!

40 minutes to go !!
  • WICKET

Watson c Prior b Anderon 53

Aus 137-3
  • Heading for a draw unless we can get another breakthrough very soon...
  • Sponsored links:

• WICKET

Hussey c Prior b Broad 64

161-4
  • Well done, Stuart Broad!
  • Quicker than the BBC!!!
  • Dropping Broad won't ruin him as a cricketer, unless he's badly managed and not told why he's being dropped.

His problem is that he's caught between two stools - does he go for out and out pace, or aim to bowl a bit within himself and aim for accuracy and become a McGrath type who ties one end down while others do the strike bowling at the other end? At the moment bowling at 90MPH is impressive but on the types of wickets that Test cricket is played on these days that isn't really enough to trouble top class batsmen unless he can develop a few other tricks, a fast bouncer, an off/leg cutter at that pace etc. If he's managed properly England in time will have a number 7 who can average 30 plus with the bat and around that with the ball and be able to either open the bowling, or bowl with the old ball equally effectively.

I think he'll be dropped for Headingley and one of Harmison or Sidebottom will come in, unless that is he takes several wickets this afternoon and sets up a victory charge.
  • 203-4

Lead of 90.

Minimum 61 Overs left.
  • Clarke and North giving nothing away and the ball's not swung all day-bar a miracle, this will end as a draw.
  • to a cricket novice like me, losing about two days play to the weather is very strange. It's like a football match having to be abandoned at half-time and just giving each team a point and calling it a draw. Why does cricket not allow for re-scheduling? Is the schedule with other games too tight to allow play to go on for an extra day or two? Or is it a tradition thing, where it's a part of the game that the weather plays a part?

apologies to cicket traditionalists everywhere. ;0)
  • 293-4 at Tea
    Lead by 180.
  • Might as well shake on it now