Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• North gone for 96, Australia 346-5
  • Good catch too..
  • Cracking catch from Anderson
  • Match drawn.

3 down, 2 to go & we're still 1-0 up!!
  • Yeah! The Aussies wont like that!
  • They need a drawn series, we need to win again
  • Boo Rothers! Have faith, those Aussies will be a tad nervous now ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]They need a drawn series, we need to win again

We can draw the last two tests and regain the ashes.
  • * Addick Addict
    * CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

"My fancy is a drawn series. Our attack is better than theirs but, on the other hand, our batting is inferior which rather leads me to conclude that both teams will struggle to bowl each other out.

I've had a bit at 120 on Betfair on 0-0 (really from a trading perspective should the first couple of Tests be drawn) with 1-1 (at 15) the main bet and a saver at 10 on 2-2."

1-1 is 3.2 to back now :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Boo Rothers! Have faith, those Aussies will be a tad nervous now ;-)

Defo, we have dominated them since the last day at Cardiff, and they know that. We have beat em up, got under their skins (see watson yesterday got all hot and flustered when Jimmy got to him big time) and they don't like it up em do the Auzwalds!! They have go some to win a test v us, and they know it!! Still in the balance i know but i tell thee what, we have them shaking, shaking in their boots i tell thee!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Boo Rothers! Have faith, those Aussies will be a tad nervous now ;-)

Defo, we have dominated them since the last day at Cardiff, and they know that. We have beat em up, got under their skins (see watson yesterday got all hot and flustered when Jimmy got to him big time) and they don't like it up em do the Auzwalds!! They have go some to win a test v us, and they know it!! Still in the balance i know but i tell thee what, we have them shaking, shaking in their boots i tell thee!

mmm they have 5 of the top 6 run scorers and 4 of the top 5 wicket takers in the Series so I suspect they know that they aren't too far behind.
  • But we are still on top in my opinion. I did notice that they have a few wickets, but they cant bowl us out that cheaply, and there batting is bumped up by the effort from Cardiff, where 4 of em got centuries (firt time ever to be done) and clarke a few runs off!! Other than that, we have been on top, dominated and that is that. Simples.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]But we are still on top in my opinion. I did notice that they have a few wickets, but they cant bowl us out that cheaply, and there batting is bumped up by the effort from Cardiff, where 4 of em got centuries (firt time ever to be done) and clarke a few runs off!! Other than that, we have been on top, dominated and that is that. Simples.

375 - 5 at close and a lead of 262. Would you have fancied us to chase down 350 to 400?
  • with brett lee coming back, i think australia will win one of the remaining test matches.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]But we are still on top in my opinion. I did notice that they have a few wickets, but they cant bowl us out that cheaply, and there batting is bumped up by the effort from Cardiff, where 4 of em got centuries (firt time ever to be done) and clarke a few runs off!! Other than that, we have been on top, dominated and that is that. Simples.

375 - 5 at close and a lead of 262. Would you have fancied us to chase down 350 to 400?

If the weather hadn't of interfeared with play, they wouldn't of got the oppertunity to just block out today! The ball would of swung more often and we'd have beaten them in this test match. Of course we wouldn't of been able to chase down 350/400. In the series so far, i know what dressing room i would rather be in. 1-0 up for a reason, we have played better cricket.
  • Got to agree with MCS there, we have the upper hand but need to be a lot more brutal with them when they are already hopping.

Keep Broad in the side too
  • I was there on Sunday, fantastic days cricket. I cannot get enough of this series. I went to the 2nd day at Cardiff, 1st and last at Lords, 4th at Edgbaston. I am going to Hedingley on Saturday and days 1 & 3 at The Oval.
    Despite what you may hear there are still some tickets left at the Oval, call 08712461100. Be prepared to wait though, it took me 1 1/2 hours yesterday to get through.
    Just to add my twopenneth..... Draw at Leeds, the weather forecast is as bad as it was for Birmingham. We win at The Oval.
    Broad? Sorry, but for all his promise and useful runs he is just not up to the required level as a bowler - YET. Dropping him will not ruin him at all. We need to win this series not worry about peoples feelings. We really need Harmi. I don't like him, he's a selfish stroppy so and so IMO. However he is bowling really well at the moment. If we drop Broad at Leeds and bring in Harmi and Freddie isn't fit I reckon we'll leave Swan out,have four seamers (Anderson, Onions, Hami and Sidebottom) and play an extra batter at 6 with Prior at 7. Not sure who though, they're hardly queing up, it will have to be a non rookie so either Key or Shah with Bopara dropping down to 6. Mind you there's a lad at the Oval who keeps scoring runs, 270 odd yesterday, can't think of his name...... ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I was there on Sunday, fantastic days cricket. I cannot get enough of this series. I went to the 2nd day at Cardiff, 1st and last at Lords, 4th at Edgbaston. I am going to Hedingley on Saturday and days 1 & 3 at The Oval.
    Despite what you may hear there are still some tickets left at the Oval, call 08712461100. Be prepared to wait though, it took me 1 1/2 hours yesterday to get through.
    Just to add my twopenneth..... Draw at Leeds, the weather forecast is as bad as it was for Birmingham. We win at The Oval.
    Broad? Sorry, but for all his promise and useful runs he is just not up to the required level as a bowler - YET. Dropping him will not ruin him at all. We need to win this series not worry about peoples feelings. We really need Harmi. I don't like him, he's a selfish stroppy so and so IMO. However he is bowling really well at the moment. If we drop Broad at Leeds and bring in Harmi and Freddie isn't fit I reckon we'll leave Swan out,have four seamers (Anderson, Onions, Hami and Sidebottom) and play an extra batter at 6 with Prior at 7. Not sure who though, they're hardly queing up, it will have to be a non rookie so either Key or Shah with Bopara dropping down to 6. Mind you there's a lad at the Oval who keeps scoring runs, 270 odd yesterday, can't think of his name...... ;-)

Agree Chirps, we need some experience in this side to shore us up for the last two Tests, I would make room for Ramps by dropping Broad. I would also bring in Harmison for Swann who bowled poorly at Edgbaston.

My XI for Headingley: Strauss, Cook, Ramprakash, Bopara, Bell, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Anderson, Harmison, Onions.

Ramps is the best batsman in the country, play him for the last two Tests to seal the deal.

Freddy simply has to play, the Aussies are scared of him.

For Headingley, I would bring in Ramprakash to bat at three and shift all the other batters down one place.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I was there on Sunday, fantastic days cricket. I cannot get enough of this series. I went to the 2nd day at Cardiff, 1st and last at Lords, 4th at Edgbaston. I am going to Hedingley on Saturday and days 1 & 3 at The Oval.

Agree Chirps, we need some experience in this side to shore us up for the last two Tests, I would make room for Ramps by dropping Broad. I would also bring in Harmison for Swann who bowled poorly at Edgbaston.

My XI for Headingley: Strauss, Cook, Ramprakash, Bopara, Bell, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Anderson, Harmison, Onions.

Ramps is the best batsman in the country, play him for the last two Tests to seal the deal.

Freddy simply has to play, the Aussies are scared of him.

For Headingley, I would bring in Ramprakash to bat at three and shift all the other batters down one place.

Key is better than Ramprakash!
  • Chirpy, do you know what days they have tickets left for at the Oval?
  • Sponsored links:

• Trott is in the 14 and cover for Bopara and Freddie. Of the two Freddie is the big doubt and I wouldn't be suprised if we save him for the Oval. Sidebottom may well play on what used to be his home ground.
  • [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Chirpy, do you know what days they have tickets left for at the Oval?
    They had a few for all days on Monday when I called.
  • Soundasa$ - I love Big Fat Bob Key but the stats really don't lie and they kind of scream from the rooftops that Ramps is the dogs bollocks of English batting even at his advanced years.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Trott is in the 14 and cover for Bopara and Freddie. Of the two Freddie is the big doubt and I wouldn't be suprised if we save him for the Oval. Sidebottom may well play on what used to be his home ground.
    Freddie will play, no doubt. Although he's hobbling about he is still bowling at 100 %. He builds up pressure and roughs up the batsmen.
    I was joking about Ramps. England would never pick him, they have made it quite clear they do not intend going back to anyone from the past. Have you seen some of the bowling in the 2nd divsion? I reckon I'd get a few myself!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Trott is in the 14 and cover for Bopara and Freddie. Of the two Freddie is the big doubt and I wouldn't be suprised if we save him for the Oval. Sidebottom may well play on what used to be his home ground.
    Freddie will play, no doubt. Although he's hobbling about he is still bowling at 100 %. He builds up pressure and roughs up the batsmen.
    I was joking about Ramps. England would never pick him, they have made it quite clear they do not intend going back to anyone from the past. Have you seen some of the bowling in the 2nd divsion? I reckon I'd get a few myself!

Very true Chirps, they WON'T pick Ramps but he is a far classier bat than Bell or Bopara and would make more runs than either - especially at The Oval. If we are winning 1-0 going into The Oval it would have to be worth playing Ramps just for his glued-on ton at his home ground surely?
  • Its not like Ramps and Key have not been tried before though.
    Didnt really work out - maybe they are both better now, or maybe ramps would get too worked up again and not perform at test level.
  • just bought oval tickets over the phone for day one and day five. wallop.
  • Most papers saying No Freddie & Harmy returns........
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Most papers saying No Freddie & Harmy returns........

What's the date of the Oval tests P...........do you fancy it?
  • Flintoff definetly OUT of 4th Test.............