Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• 259-9

trail by 84
  • 263 all out

Aussies win by and Inns and 80 runs.
  • Freddie declared himslef fit to play but the England management overruled him. Freddie on one leg would have been better than most of the others on 3!
    He must play at the Oval. Really not sure what else to do. Harmision was a massive disappointment. Wholesale changes won't work. Strauss seems to have adopted an "Don't panic" approach which I think is right.
    Something has to be done about the batting, obviously Flintoff will strengthen it but something needs to be done at 3 & 4. I don't really see how just moving Bopara down the order will help, I'd leave him out and replace him at 3 with Rob Key. Bell is also an issue but I think one change in the batting is enough otherwise we will look a bit silly.
    So Freddie back in for Harmi as the other change and fingers crossed.
  • Stick Ramps in for a one-off. He's in form, has a good record against the convicts and will feel at home at The Oval. Bopara needs to be rested. Collingwood's got the bottle to move to 3 and you have to gamble to win a must-win match. We need to take twenty wickets; but we need to score runs quickly enough to make that possible. So Prior must play; and Swann and Broad should be used as bowlers who can get quick runs.

It will bounce, so Harmison must play; it may swing, so Anderson should. Onions should provide control.

So, if Flintoff's fit, this would be my XI:

Srauss
    Cook
    Collingwood
    Bell
    Ramprakash
    Prior
    Flintoff
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson
    Onions

... if he's not, I would replace him with a batter and I would drop Onions, sacrificing control for attack.

Srauss
    Cook
    Collingwood
    Bell
    Denley
    Prior
    Ramprakash
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson
    Sidebottom
  • Bumble wants Big Bob at 3
    Linky
  • Cook out for 4 and Bops out for 1 for Essex today.

Tresco and Key recall please.
  • Not being funny but Tresco's mental problems really could mean he will be considerably out of his depth in such a high pressure test/situation
  • Does not matter who we call up Australia will retain the Ashes as I said at the very start of this thread.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Does not matter who we call up Australia will retain the Ashes as I said at the very start of this thread.

Really, I thought you was quite supportive of the team on Sunday ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Does not matter who we call up Australia will retain the Ashes as I said at the very start of this thread.

Really, I thought you was quite supportive of the team on Sunday ;-)

For those 10 overs or so Broad & Swann had a laugh probably at the expense of the top of our so called batting order !
  • Much as it pains me to say it - considering he plays for Kunt - I think fat Rob is a better bet than Ramps at number three. There's no doubt Ramps is a legend, but Key is younger and has more to prove. Still think he should have been in the team for the last four years instead of The Shermanator.
  • No Ramps for me, and I'll explain why.
    If I needed someone to bat for my life in a meaningless 2nd Division County Championship match on a good wicket such as The Oval, I would have no hesitation in choosing Mark Ramprakash. Again if I had to choose a professional sportsman to dance for my life in a World Championship at Blackpool, I would choose Ramps. Indeed he would also be first choice for me as “The Nice Down to Earth” celebrity of the year award.

However if I, as indeed my country does, had to select someone to make a major contribution with the bat next week in the 5th final and decisive Ashes Test, Mark would not even be in my top 10.

People are often tagged with flaws, some fair some not. Ramps has always been seen as an underachiever at the highest level, in my opinion this is a fair accusation. There is no doubting his technique and skill as a batsmen. I have seen him play quite beautifully many times in county cricket. One particular innings at Canterbury springs to mind, when as a young man he dispatched not only the Kentish Men but also the Men of Kent to all parts of The St. Lawrence ground.

For many years he was one of only two English qualified batsmen to average over 50 in 1st Class cricket. This probably says more about our domestic game than anything. A comfort zone blessed with very average bowlers and good wickets. Somewhere where players with the natural ability of Ramps can score hundred after hundred after hundred – and he does. It is so different from the county championship of old where not only did England’s elite play for a fair proportion, but some of the best bowlers in the world were also flinging them down. Holding, Roberts, Marshall, Garner, Croft, Daniel, Clarke, Hadlee, Rice, Procter, Imran, Kapil, Le Roux, Alderman, Akram, Wagar….the list goes on. They played full seasons too, not just the odd match in May and September as the world stars do these days before they fly off to all parts for a 1 Test series’ or ODI tournaments in oil rich states.

I’m not trying to knock Ramps’ record, of course he can only play, and score heavily against what is served up at him. If that happens to be Dutch international Vim Van Kolpak and his 19 cousins and brother–in-laws’ spread all over the counties then that is not his fault. To date he has scored 108 centuries, no mean feat. Will another player, let alone Englishman ever get to join that exclusive club of Centurions? I am just saying that the gulf between our county game and Test cricket is as big today as it’s ever been-bigger. Huge.

Who was the other batsman to average over 50? Well of course it was Graeme Hick or Enigma II. However Hick is another story, I am discussing Ramprakash.

I have recently heard his supporters say he is completely different now, far less tense, enjoying his batting with a relaxed attitude at the crease. Nothing like the nervous, edgy young man we used to see fighting his way to 29 and invariably no further. Maybe that is because he hasn’t played Test cricket for 7 years!

I did see him struggle too. I was in Trinidad ’94. England had played well for 3 ¾ days and although at one point it looked as if they’d need no more than 100 to win Chandrapul made sure it was nearer 200. So as the final hour or so started I turned to my friend and said I’d take 50-2 at the close. Well after one ball it was 0-1 and the rest is Ambrose folklore. I’m not blaming Ramps for this collapse but his weakness in a cauldron shone like the sun does in a clear blue Caribbean sky.

Ambrose had removed Atherton first ball LBW (my, Athers was a bad starter), and next in was Ramps. Well I have never seen anyone walk so slowly to the wicket. I’ve noticed this year that England’s batsmen have made the effort to cross on the field in the time honoured way. If Ramps had been any slower he’d have been crossing paths with the ground staff as they pulled on the covers an hour later! I can only imagine that the only reason Ambrose didn’t appeal under the 2 minute rule was that he fancied getting all ten, he didn’t of course. Nor did he get Ramps. Ramps got himself.

The atmosphere was electric as Ambrose ran in for the first ball, it went up 10 levels just about every ball or at least every wicket- which was nearly every ball! A cycle track circles Queens Park Oval and the local peanut seller had grabbed our Union Jack from the perimeter fence and was running round the track with it as Ramps made his way out.

I felt sorry for him; he looked a complete bag of nerves. Nervous but not scared I hasten to add, Jack Russell who came in at No.8 looked scared. His 4th ball, he clipped to fine leg and for some reason, maybe the noise level drowned out communication between him and Stewart, came back for a crazy 2nd. He was easily run out and was back in the pavilion a tad quicker than he came out of it!

One incident you may say. Everyone failed that innings you may say. But it is Ramps image that sticks with me more than other from those 15 years ago. More than my memory of trying to get our flag back (which we did) and just slightly more vivid than my minds picture of a middle aged England fan, in blazer, Panama hat and MCC tie standing in front of the England dressing room at the end of play that evening, jabbing his umbrella towards the hiding players and shouting through a foaming mouth “USELESS, USELESS, USELESS”!

I remember a year later when after not originally being selected he joined another disastrous Ashes tour of Australia, late on due to many injuries. He played in the last Test at Perth and scored well in both innings. There was no expectation of him and the series was already lost. It did however get him back in favour for the summer of ’95 and the visit of the West Indies.

In his defence I guess that Ramprakash did have to try and forge his international career, nearly all of them, against a fairly rampant West Indian side. However there is no room for sentiment in international sport. Incidentally guess which other England batsmen made his debut with Ramps in ’91 against Ambrose, Walsh and Co? Yes of course GA Hick.

Anyway in early ’95 the spread betting firms were excited about Ramprakash’s renaissance, but not as excited as my friend and I were when were we able to “Sell” his total runs for the series at 330. I’d never done a spread bet before and hardly any since but to me it was a “No Brainer”. Scores of 4&18 in the first Test and a “pair” at Lords sent him back to county cricket for the rest of the season and allowed me to pick up the best part of £1,000. I took no pleasure in seeing him fail but as I see myself as a pretty good judge of Test player it was money for old rope.

You could hardly accuse the selectors of showing no faith in him though. He made the squad to South Africa that winter but after failing in his first two innings with low scores he was cleaned up by Brian McMillian second ball in his third and final knock in Tests until the last home test in the summer of 1997. Where? The Oval. Against? Australia.

Result? England won!

As I said earlier, there is no room for sentiment in international sport. It was another dead rubber as they invariably were in those days and the result was more down to Caddick, Tuffnel, and the draw of the Qantas 1st Class lounge at Heathrow than any influence by Ramps. A reasonable tour of the West Indies followed, a maiden Test century and an ok summer at home. Nothing spectacular but ok. It was the same for a few years, steady but not sparkling progress. Just like his bully of a buddy Hick, Ramps could not transfer his obvious gifts from county to Test cricket. He didn’t make the 1999 tour of South Africa. He did however return for England in 2000 against his old friends from the Caribbean. Business as usual sadly and 4 innings yielded a mere 20 runs.

In 2001 against the still all conquering Aussies he hit a lovely 130 odd at……yes of course The Oval! But this rubber wasn’t just dead, it was buried too.

After an indifferent tour of Pakistan and New Zealand, England, well certainly their boss at the time, Duncan Fletcher gave up on the enigma that is Mark Ravin Ramprakash. There you have it. An eleven year Test career of perennial underachievement.

I recall Mike Atherton talking about Ramps under his captaincy. He revealed that apart form the nerves, Ramps was often looking for an excuse for his failings. If he was carded 5 or 6 and failed it was too low for him and he felt he was left with the tail. He was asked to bat 3 for a while but then again after a poor run complained to Athers that he was exposed to the new ball too early for his liking.

So will he get the call? You never know with Geoff Miller. He said no one was ruled out, but only today he ruled out Marcus Trescothick! I’m sure Miller would love to have both in his team, with Vaughn too. However I reckon being the canny lad he is, Dusty will know he’ll get less flack from the media if Trott or Key fail than if Ramps plays and yet again comes up short. You knew with Fletcher though, you knew he got his way with Graveney and you knew he’d never call Ramps back, probably through sheer bloody-mindedness than anything else mind.
  • edited August 2009
    Furthermore,
    There is no doubting Mark Ramprakash is one of, if not the most technically correct, gifted batsman of his generation. There is also no doubt he could not deliver the goods at the ultimate level during the time he played for England. Ok, Australia’s current attack is hardly a top world class combination but it’s not just about actually playing the bowlers; you have to play against everything else too. The sledging, the crowd, the media, the expectation – everything.

I keep hearing how his record against Australia is so much better than it is against other teams or his overall record. Well as I have explained earlier, most of his good showings against the Aussies were in no pressure dead matches. Hardly the scenario we are faced with today. The question is can he deliver now?

I personally do not think so. If he couldn’t take the pressure then, why should he be able to now? If he is named in Sundays squad his house will besieged by our blood thirsty hacks, desperate for a quote or even a sign of nerves. We will have digs from former players, old and not so old, English and Aussie. All jumping on the bandwagon.

The 5th Test match at The Brit Oval next week is England’s biggest for 4 years. The hype is massive already. Massive enough for KP to feel so left out that he had to release some sort, any sort of news about his precious self. Just to remind everyone he is still around. It’s only going to get bigger as we get closer. The sort of pressure Ramps has proved time and time again that he just can’t handle.

A lot was made of his long wait to go from 99 to 100 1st Class centuries. Rightly so. It showed to me and Geoff Boycott incidentally , that the flaw is still there. The negative noises made brought a very passionate response from his Father knocking all that accused Ramps of bottling it. He got there of course, but it took some time.

I have nothing but admiration for Ramps as a county cricketer and also, from his public persona, a man too, but I do not think he has the temperament to play hard, competitive, Test match cricket. Not in the past, not now, not ever.
  • Chirpy - for the first time in history, I agree with everything you've said ;o)

I personally think Rob Key has been treated disgracefully by the selectors, and should have been playing in place of Bell for the last four years. Surely now - with Bopara looking like a one-day player who's never played the longer form of the game, Bell being his usual fidgety, underachieving self and Tresco having been ruled out by Miller, Key HAS to get a chance. The only reason I can see for not picking him in the past has been, bizarrely, because he's a natural leader - and maybe the selectors haven't thought that would go down too well ina dressing room with the likes of figjam, Flintoff and Strauss. If that's the case, then at least swallow pride and put him in now - even for one test - based on his batting ability alone.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Chirpy - for the first time in history, I agree with everything you've said ;o)

Lol!
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]FIGJAM

Please dude, explain this lol

Thats the best word i have read for ages!! Whats it mean man???
  • F**k I'm Good, Just Ask Me.

And in KP's case he's got a point
  • Great stuff Chirpy, but who do you think they will pick?
  • I think they will go with Trott to replace Bopara and Flintoff for Onions.
  • Sponsored links:

• And to think Chirpy you complain at me for writing long posts...

In essence I'll sum up your words which I agree with - by comparing his first class average with his Test average. These aren't exact figures but in Tests he averages ca 27 and overall he averages ca 55.

I too remember seeing him at Canterbury - although he was quite young (probably around 19/20 years old) and playing the delicatest of delicate late cuts to third man, the bat glancing rather than hitiing the ball wide of gully and point to pick up easy runs, quite difficult to do against bowlers of the likes of Martin McCague and Iggy. Ramps is one of the most talented batsman I've seen, but as with Ian Bell and many others he doesn't have the temperament and the patience to build an innings. I think it was Robin Smith who said the essence of Test batting is knowing how to score a fifty in three hours as opposed to the two hours or less that is normal in County cricket. That means you have to be prepared to graft and fight and not lose concentration or patience against tight Test bowling. And with Test bowling, particularly Australia or the West Indies when they were at their peak the second/third/fourth change bowlers are likely to be as good as the openers so there is little respite once the good bowlers are out the attack.

People say that had he played under a more forgiving, nurturing regime (say when Duncan Fletcher and the Team England ethos was being implemented) that he'd have fulfilled his potential. I disagree, he and Hick would undoubtedly have done better by being brought on more steadily and may have had great innings and series, but I see nothing in their psychological make-up that suggests that they'd have averaged over 40 or consistently done the job when the rest of the side were failing.

For me I'd bring in Rob Key and bat him first down, the question is who bats at #4, do you drop Bopara down one place or drop him and stick with Ian Bell, or promote Colly up the order to #4 and shove Bopara/Bell down a couple of places. A case could be made for playing both and moving Prior to seven and then having a four man bowling attack, but I think we'll see Swann and Panesar play (or maybe Adil Rashid), followed by Flintoff, Broad and Onions.

England's problem is partly that we lack a couple of Test class batsmen, but also we don't have a batsman who can bowl, other than Colly and his bowling is really in the fill in category for when the ball is getting old and we need to use up a few overs before the new ball. He won't go for many runs but he won't take many wickets.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Does not matter who we call up Australia will retain the Ashes as I said at the very start of this thread.
    You are absolutely right, you did predict that Australia would retain the Ashes and you may well be proved right. In fact, here is what you said on 10 July:
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Face Facts...
    England have one world class player
    Having one world class player will never be enough to beat even the poorest aussie side to visit these shores in many a year
    England have won one out of the last ten ashes series (So I am told)
    England are Pelt & have no chance of regaining the ashes
    Mind you, you haven't been entirely consistent. Here's what you said two days later:
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    I have had to watch this just to see our World class team in action, I am sure we'll regain the Ashes having watched this Test
    And your prediction for the Lord's Test was almost spot on. Except, not quite:
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    Don't the Aussies have an exceptional record at Lords in Ashes games? Fully expect us to get beaten by the fourth day.
    Just waiting for the Rose Tinted brigade to come on now & tell me different :-)
    But, again, in fairness to you, you were celebrating England's brilliant performance with the rest of us, a few days later:
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Did their very best to Embarrass us again, but I suppose a Grudging well done is in order.
    And, on 30 July, you were prepared to stick your neck on the line again, ahead of the Third Test (the one where Australia batted out the draw on the last day):
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The weather will be England's get out of Jail Free card for the second time in Three tests !
    So, in the spirit of friendly predictions, what's your call for the last Test? Will England's injury-depleted team win back the Ashes by winning at The Oval? Or will the best team in the world demonstrate their dominance by wrapping up the Ashes with a win?
  • Good work Chizz.
  • Had a glorious day watching England Lions v Australians today. All their batters looked in good nick with Watson or Hussey being the pick on the day although Ponting also played some classy shots.

Brett Lee is playing and bowled 4 or 5 overs and looked pretty rapid. I reckon he will be in contention next week.
  • pet hate len they are not batters they are batsmen
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]pet hate len they are not batters they are batsmen

You are absolutely right!

In mitigation I was sitting with some Aussies today and they call them batters. I must have been infected:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]pet hate len they are not batters they are batsmen

You are absolutely right!

In mitigation I was sitting with some Aussies today and they call them batters. I must have been infected:-)

GoodDay ?
  • Trott replaces Bopara.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Trott replaces Bopara.[/quote]

The selectors kept that secret...

Apparently (and I've no idea whether this is true or not) some journalists went into the room where the selectors held the meeting and finding that they'd gone had a root around in the bin. That's where they found the details on Bopara being dropped for Trott.