Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• Options
    what the bloody hell was he doing there?! It was about 3 feet outside offstump...
  • Options
    Johnboy uk is a jinx !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]Johnboy uk is a jinx !

Appalling shot selection. Its the first day of a test match, 3 foot outside off stump, 'kin leave it alone all day long.

...I take full responsibility :-~
  • Options
    302/5...

Still 8 overs left tonight.
  • Options
    Great stuff from Prior, his 50 is up in 54 balls.

Momentum changing in a Gilchrist kind of way
  • Options
    Anything above 300 should be enough to avoid defeat at the very least.

If we can get over 400 that would give us an excellent platform to exert some pressure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Anything above 300 should be enough to avoid defeat at the very least.

If we can get over 400 that would give us an excellent platform to exert some pressure.
    Can't completely agree. You can't underestimate the Australian top order. The very least we need is 400.
  • Options
    Freddie bowled. 327-6.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Anything above 300 should be enough to avoid defeat at the very least.

Can't completely agree. You can't underestimate the Australian top order. The very least we need is 400.

400 would be good but problematic now with only 4 wickets left one of whom is Monty!
  • Options
    Prior bowled Siddle for 56...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    336-7 at close of play.

Might get 350...
  • Options
    336/7 at stumps.

Anderson not out 2 and extends his record of never having been dismissed for zero in Tests.
  • Options
    Not a bad day, fancy the Aussies to win this test though. Impressive bowling from the unknowns.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Not a bad day, fancy the Aussies to win this test though. Impressive bowling from the unknowns.

As this is Sophia Garden's debut Test there's no track record on how the wicket tends to play, or what a good score is, so we'll have to wait and see how Australia bat on it before we know if this is a good score. Allegedly the square does take spin and I think it will get a bit easier to bat on as the game progresses, so picking two front-line spinners looks wise at the moment. Other than that the ball is swinging, particularly for Siddle and that bodes well for Anderson. As for how Australia bowled - their main man is Mitchell Johnson, but he was too loose and didn't build enough pressure. Siddle and Hilfenhaus bowled ok and kept running in but are nothing special, of the three spinners, none impressed me and this could be Hauritz's only Test, especially if Clarke bowls well. Ponting I don't think rates him too highly - he had four fielders on the boundary at one point when he was bowling and his sole wicket was a gift. England threw too many of their wickets away, only Prior could really be said to have received an unplayable delivery, the others were to a greater or lesser extent culpable in their demise - most notably Pietersen. A bit more application and a big first innings score was there for the taking.
  • Options
    Would have taken this score today, less 2 more wickets. 350 first and then what will be will be.

Plenty of time to skiltte them out.
  • Options
    350 just up, Broad now swinging the bat just got a four 354-7 after 93.
  • Options
    Broad has hit 3 fours in the first 3 overs. Eng 354 - 7
  • Options
    Stuart Board having a nice little go at the Crims, 354-7
  • Options
    Broad has gone. 355 - 8
  • Options
    Right - start swinging now. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Damn, b*gger, blast! He was looking good too! Need 20 more runs imho
  • Options
    Looking like a decent score coming together here
  • Options
    Swann is not a bad batsman to be fair.

At county level anyway.

If we get 400 that would be decent.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well it all depends what Australia get in their first innings as to whether this is a good score. Can't help but think they won't be so generous in giving their wickets away!!!

Is it me or are the boundaries that much longer here than in the other test match venues? They are hitting big and not getting boundaries just 2s and 3s!

384-8
  • Options
    what radio station is this on?
  • Options
    5 live

from what i heard from yesterday, the general consensus was it was a 420-450 pitch for a solid start.
  • Options
    Slow outfield. Lots of 3's on offer
  • Options
    I got it on 198 LW yesterday late afternoon.
  • Options
    or the BBC website
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Four 4s in a row quickly gone to 402-8!!! Go on Swanny!