Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• Options
    249-1. Katich and Ponting both have 100s.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]But if this is what our tail can do to them on this pitch, then I'm a bit nervous about what the top of their order will do! 400 may not be so good...

Good shout Weegie!

(for a girl:-) )
  • Options
    Unfortunately and easy to say now, but you don't win games without strike bowlers. Freddie is one but an excellent first change one. Harmison is the man and after the debacle of England losing this first test from a good position I predict he will be recalled. You need a harmi, McGrath, McDermott, Gough, lillie, Thompson or 1905 to scare the oppo a bit, they often then give their wicket away forcing the holding bowler at the other end, such as hoggy, Anderson or broad would do now. I faced that 1905 once and even though I tonked him all over the park it took longer to reach my 50 than usual.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Weegs, do the scottish press give much attention to this ?

I don't give much attention to the Scottish press TBH, AFKA...

Think it gets a paragraph or two deep inside the sports pages once you've waded through plenty of football.
    Football as well? Blimey!
  • Options
    We need to get control of the morning session tomorrow. If we go a whole session without a wicket we are in trouble. IMHO I think we will come back strong.
  • Options
    The initiative has been lost and I fear the worst. Exactly what Monty brings to the side I don't know. Should of been onions if we didn't want to take a punt on an unreliable harmi.
  • Options
    I think it is right to play 2 spinners but disagree with Monty, however there are still 3 days left and by all accounts this pitch is due to get much worse and you would have to agree with all the pundits when they say you wouldn't want to be batting last on it however we just have to make sure we restrict them as much as possible tomorrow
  • Options
    I thought that apart from Fred and Swann the bowling was very ordinary from England.

Anderson bottled it on the big occasion (again), Broad was all over the shop and Monty did nothing at all and looks like he has gone backwards.

Harmison will come in for Monty at Lords and rightly so and its only Broad's batting that is keeping him safe, he tries to do too much and gives away too many runs.
  • Options
    Draw is my call.
  • Options
    1st over a maiden from Broad, without looking dangerous.
    Monty bowling from the other end, England 186 in front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, and it doesn't look too clever for Sunday, DRAW.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well if we can break this partnership then we may have a chance. Weather does look iffy but if there is going to be a break in the rain then we don't want to have to bat a whole day (or more) to save the test.
    259-1
  • Options
    298-1
  • Options
    WICKET Katich lbw b Anderson 122

299-2
  • Options
    Katich lbw Anderson 122 299-2
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    325-3 Hussey c Prior b Anderson 3
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]325-3 Hussey c Prior b Anderson 3

Goody good. Missed that one, just popped out for 10 mins!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]

Well pop out again!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]

Well pop out again!

Here I go out again...it worked!!! WICKET 331-4

Ponting b Panesar 150
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    331-4 Ponting b Panesar 150 played on. Echo Echo Echo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You Go MONTY !!!!
  • Options
    I bet he is jumping around like a blooming idiot!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I bet he is jumping around like a blooming idiot!

Yep !!!!!
    ;-)
  • Options
    We've done well this morning 99 runs, 3 wickets taken...
  • Options
    Oh dear we need another burst of wickets (ideally 6 of them)

402-4.
  • Options
    You Cricket lot do make me laugh a flurry of posts when England score a Boundary or heaven forbid take a wicket, not posting much today are we ?

Face Facts...
    England have one world class player
    Having one world class player will never be enough to beat even the poorest aussie side to visit these shores in many a year
    England have won one out of the last ten ashes series (So I am told)
    England are Pelt & have no chance of regaining the ashes

I thank you :-)
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say we're not going to win this one!
  • Options
    Just watched the entire second session, fair to say that we won't be regaining the Ashes on that show.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]You Cricket lot do make me laugh a flurry of posts when England score a Boundary or heaven forbid take a wicket, not posting much today are we ?

Face Facts...
    England have one world class player
    Having one world class player will never be enough to beat even the poorest aussie side to visit these shores in many a year
    England have won one out of the last ten ashes series (So I am told)
    England are Pelt & have no chance of regaining the ashes

I thank you :-)

This Aussie side just beat South Africa in South Africa.
  • Options
    it's the first Ashes test, what does it matter whether we're favourites or massive underdogs? if we were 4-0 down going into the final test then i'd understand. not being up for it is like charlton drawing man utd away in the FA Cup and us not being bothered, because we'll probably lose anyway.