Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Breack-ing news

1235»

Comments

• Options
    well, looks like he's here to stay now so he'll get my backing for as long as I think he's doing a good job. I truely hope he succeeds and get's us promoted. I think he's done well over the summer in very difficult circumstances trying to keep things together and operating on a non existant budget. Let's hope things are beginning to change on that front too.
  • Options
    yeah what AFKA said , that major fresh impetus that might have saved us and did save Forest and Watford was an opportunity missed but we are where we are so fingers crossed parky can raise the titanic!
  • Options
    AFKA, not for the first time I agree with 100% of what you say.

I wanted that change but not now. It would be cutting off your nose to spite your face to get rid of him now unless the new owners come in with a massive pot of cash and an IOU from Jose Mourinho.
  • Options
    i never get the fans who don't get behind our managers. they are a very queer bunch.
  • Options
    I agree AFKA, he was very fortunate to stay in January and May and he may not yet still for this coming season.

I was pointing out to Oahahh that was what people were saying then.
  • Options
    we've got some right fruit loops if that's true they wanted us to lose
    if only those same fruit loops had wanted us to win we might not have gone down
  • Options
    I'd have preferred his brother.......... Wynn Breaker......................I'll get me coat!
  • Options
    Given that we went down in last place in the league, it's a little odd that so many are being critical of people that suggested, in 2008, that we needed something different. Generally hindsight is used to reinforce your point, not to criticise those that have turned out to be correct.
  • Options
    we should really only judge him on his results....
  • Options
    didnt want him when Pardew mugged us, didnt want him to stay after his caretakers role was assessed on results and didnt want him to be here now. Circumstances (none football) meant he got the caretakers/full time manager and is now retained-------------------not his ability as a manager.

He is very very very lucky to be here as our manager , i hope his luck spreads onto the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Given that we went down in last place in the league, it's a little odd that so many are being critical of people that suggested, in 2008, that we needed something different. Generally hindsight is used to reinforce your point, not to criticise those that have turned out to be correct.

The problem with that statement McL is that we don't have an opportunity to view situations down alternative divergent paths. Parky stayed, and the rest is history. What we don't know is what would have happened if he was cashiered in November or January.

I certainly thought that he should be replaced after his "acting" period. I was more supportive of him in May because I thought I'd seen some improvements towards the end of the season.

What we do know is that we are where we are and to replace him now, unless the new owners (if they take over) have a plan to bring in somebody of more proven pedigree plus a sack of cash for him to spend, would be further de-stablising a club that is in desperate need of stability in order to have the confidence to move forward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yeah what AFKA said , that major fresh impetus that might have saved us and did save Forest and Watford was an opportunity missed but we are where we are so fingers crossed parky can raise the titanic!

Saved Forest and Watford, doomed Southampton and Norwich, so 50/50 whether it would have worked for us based on that evidence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yeah what AFKA said , that major fresh impetus that might have saved us and did save Forest and Watford was an opportunity missed but we are where we are so fingers crossed parky can raise the titanic!

Saved Forest and Watford, doomed Southampton and Norwich, so 50/50 whether it would have worked for us based on that evidence.

like us Saints and Norwich promoted from within so totally unlike Forest and Watford who brought in fresh men from outside. Seems to reinforce the point don't you think ??
  • Options
    It's a good point LA but all circumstances are different. The Saints went for the Dutch angle that was a huge gamble from the outset with Van Portvliet. Norwich went for a bloke who has never been a manager. At least Parky had a track record and arguably a reasonable one (if you ignore the Hull failure).

Like I said, in my personal view, all this looking back to rights and wrongs doesn't really help because we can't re-run history. The most important thing is now and the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i never get the fans who don't get behind our managers. they are a very queer bunch.

In principle I've got to agree with you, TK.

I'd like to think Charlton supporters actually supported their own side.
    It's like supporters who boo our own players, particularly those who target individual players.

What do they hope to achieve ......?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] At least Parky had a track record and arguably a reasonable one (if you ignore the Hull failure)

if you ignore the Hull failure and his failure with us last season then I agree he has a reasonable track record.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]At least Parky had a track record and arguably a reasonable one (if you ignore the Hull failure)

if you ignore the Hull failure and his failure with us last season then I agree he has a reasonable track record.

LA I was talking about the decision in November to appoint him. At that stage he had one success and one failure as a manager on his CV. You could argue that he should have gone in January or in May. You were comparing decisions taken to appoint within versus appointing externally. All I'm saying is that The Dutchman was a huge gamble, Gunn was completely untried whereas when the decision was made (in November anyway) Parky was a different case.

Also if you want to go further back, our two greatest managers since the 1950's were internal appointments. A lot of it is, I'm afraid, down to luck. We changed our manager three times, three seasons ago, that didn't keep us up.
  • Options
    bing, you are right if comparing his record in November when appointed and I agree with you on that front.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tim Breacker: I couldn't resist Charlton

Thursday, 30 July 2009

By John Stanton

TIM Breacker says he jumped at the chance to join Charlton after being named as the club’s assistant manager this week.

Breacker, who was Ian Holloway’s number two at Plymouth, QPR and Leicester, worked as a scout for the Addicks last season.

“I didn’t have to think twice about coming to Charlton - as soon as Parky asked me I knew it was a great opportunity,” Breacker told the South London Press.

For the full story and all the latest Charlton news, see Friday's South London Press.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Tim Breacker: I couldn't resist Charlton

Thursday, 30 July 2009

By John Stanton

Breacker, who was Ian Holloway’s number two at Plymouth, QPR and Leicester, worked as a scout for the Addicks last season.

Probably discovered Burton and Spring

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ha ha feckin quality oggy