Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich - Match Thread and post-match reports

Comments

• Options
    How was the midfield formed ? Racon, Semedo holding, Bailey left, Shelvey in the hole ?

What subs were made there ?
  • Options
    on my 2nd glass of white wine so no idea. Tell u tomorrow
  • Options
    Youga went rb, small on for racon, fleetwood for jonjo and dickson for burton, oh wagstaff on for Sam- Sam motm.
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam League 1 player of the year :-)
  • Options
    Overall thought we looked ok.

Bit shakey at the back when put under pressure.

AFKA - Yes midfield was as you described.

Dailly looked solid - if he's free and not wanting too much in wages then I'd take him.

Solly looked ok in the first half. Thought he got caught out in the 2nd, no idea who the Ipswich 11 was but looked good. I also think had it been a league game he might have found himself with an early bath for two yellows.

Was slightly alarmed by how much Basey tired in the last 15mins.

Small looked showed some promise. Not a left winger though. Frighteningly one footed. Would like to see him from the start. Reckon he'd be a better option than Wagstaff but will cost more in wages.

Very surprised by the crowd - 5,100. How many were freebies?.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well done to the chaps, lets hope a bit of confidence has been gained for the Wycombe game!
  • Options
    I enjoyed it. Thought we tried to play some nice football, and didn't look like a league below. Dailly and Llera did ok, especially for a first appearance together. Solly did well against a very quick winger.Sam looked dangerous when given plenty of the ball. Our midfield looked good as usual ,Elliot did well to save the pen,but couldn't stop the follow up.Most suprising for me was the performance of Kelly Youga. Playing out of position at right wing back, he gave their defence all sorts of problems with his overlaps. Over all a decent performance which would have pleased most people who were there. No doubt there will still be plenty of negative comments.
  • Options
    I thought Wade Small did well when he came on looked dangerous not scared to run.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed tonights game and with a few more faces we can do well this season. Parky may win a few doubters over if we carry on in this vein. I thought some of the passing was lovely tonight and defence looked ok, if a bit shakier when some of the bigger hitters came on for Ipswich in second half. My real worry is that i still think we look a bit toothless and we need a goalscorer who'll bag a few off his own back.

Elliot - Solid, not loads to do and unlucky with pen
    Solly - Ok first half but struggled a bit in second.
    Llera - I really like the look of this bloke. Some lovely balls out to Sam.
    Dailly - Did ok and think with our current CB situation, we could do with him.
    Basey - Again ok but his passing not as good as usual.
    Sam - Really looking on form and hope he's staying.
    Racon - Cracking little player who i think will show us what we've been missing this season. My MoM (just about beat Sam)
    Bailey - Did ok, but he's one of those players who i think only switches it on when he needs to.
    Semedo - Solid enough, yet not spectacular. Could be new Matt Holland.
    Shelvey - Lively enough and has a real class about some of his movement.
    Burton - Did well and took pens nicely. Our top striker.

Subs:
    Youga - Lively cameo that got crowd going.
    Dickson - Didn't do a lot.
    Fleetwood - was trying but not much happened for him.
    Small - Wanted the ball but didn't get it enough. I would sign him though.
    Spring - I know he's not popular but i think he'll come in handy at times this season and did ok tonight.
    Wagstaff - Still a bit away from 1st team imo.
  • Options
    Thought Daily was very good and would make a great captain.Doesn't get pressured could be just what we are missing at the back. 5000 my Arse someone added another nought on i think. Wasn't a great game i dont think, Jonjo was quiet i thought but never really had much of the ball ...Ran about quite a bit trying to get it but i feel thats a wasted posistion if you dont feed him the ball. May as well play two out and out strikers. Llera much better than at welling, Sam frustrates me, he could be so more effective if he whipped that cross over the first time he beat the defender instead of coming back and trying to beat him again. Thought the officials stopped the game to much and should have tried to let it flow a bit. Had a good evening though and glad i went
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anybody know who the 4 guys sat two rows in front of our current Directors were? Seemed to really get into the action at times and clapped the boys off at the end. I genuinely had assumed they were the Ipswich Board, but their reaction to us and celebration when we scored twice put away that assumption. They could have been current Directors that I did not recognise, but I don't think I've ever seen any of them.

The game provided us with a very good workout and we are looking alright.
  • Options
    yeah not a bad work out, but as i thought(at the game) not a full strength ipswich team, although always nice to win against a team in higher league lmao
    i felt daily looked alright certainly we should try and sign him
    Llera looked solid at the back and some nice balls :-P
    thought solly played well first half and was stand out player but second half did get beaten a couple times but still impressed me, especially as he is not the tallest but seems to win alot of headers and reads the game well
    on others racon looked very good, lets hope he can stay fit all season and not get sent off when he is. didnt rate shelvey much tonight but didnt really get much of the ball bit isolated playing behind the striker.
    Of subs thought fleetwood done alright looks like could be useful, small should definately sign him and sam on the wings we would walk the league(getting ahead of myself)
    all in all a good game, bar atmosphere which was poor but it was a friendly and wat u expect with nothing games at charlton
  • Options
    very good perfromance.

stand out perfromers - Solly, Sam and Racon for me but then again everyon eplayed well.

Youga is such a legend with his skillful runs lol
  • Options
    Mart77 said it all for me.

I thought tonight's performance had a lot of positives and the lads' workrate & endeavour would have won over a fair percentage of the home crowd who, like me, may not have seen any previous PSFs. I was pleased for Parky too - after all the stick he's had in the past, the first match of the season at The Valley (albeit a friendly) could have put a few more nails in his coffin but IMO he gained more respect for the way he set out the team & for the triallists & youngsters he's added to the mix. Long may it continue....
  • Options
    Just got back from the game as had a few after. Sat in the west today right by the charlton dug out which felt a bit weird as normally sit in the NL. Jonjo sat on the step into the dug out when he came off and mostly had his back to the game. He seemed more interested in looking at the crowd. At one point someone shouted out: "Please stay Jonjo", and he looked over then looked down quickly!

As for the game it was much of a much which you would expect from pre-season. It was the first time I've properly had a chance to have a look at fleetwood and while he didn't look like scoring he had a few nice touches when the long balls fed through. I was pleasantly surprised by how we handled 442. I know a lot of people get frustrated when we play one up front but usually when we change it to a 442 the creativity goes and the strikers get nothing (especially when its Jonjo who goes off). We did however keep getting the ball forward and looked just as threatening as when we played 451 (which, I appreciate, might not be saying much!)

I still think Llera looks shaky. Maybe he needs more time to settle and build a rapport with a partner. He definately has a bit of the 'look away Charlton CB vibes' about hin though (i.e. like everyone since costa/rufus IMO). Dailly on the other hand looked much more assured. He's definately not going to spray the ball around but kept it simple and looks more than capable of keeping league 1 strikers in toe.

Bailey was very vocal in the first half as captain. There was one point where he was having a good shout at the CM (something along the lines of stay in a 3).

Overall on this evidence we definately need to sign Dailly (if we can) and we need someone else who can play on his own upfront. Burton just doesn't seem to be enough of a handful and even Parky was shouting at him a bit just before he took him off.
  • Options
    Daily was Very good tonight and we should def try and get him, the team looks lost in a 4 5 1

I think that as a 442 in the latter stages of the game we look more confortable

but we need a striker and fast IMO
  • Options
    Why are we all still posting at 12.45am ????

Guess we're still trying to come to terms with the excitement of a home win tonight...
  • Options
    Good to talk about some football....

Sounds very up beat and positive.... good news...

A couple of early results and we could be on the up....

brought a smile to my face this morning that's for sure..
  • Options
    Good to read this - had to miss the game as I am out of UK, but seems to be quite a few positives.
  • Options
    Good game, played well and as a team!

Liked Dailly, hope he stays.

Uncle, did Jonjo give you a wave? As I swore he said that's my Uncle to Semedo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank gawd for CL! Got a half time score from KB & that was that! Our game wasn't even on the list of friendlies on any tv station. So now i know the score i can relax. Serves me right for not going :-P
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2009
    Thought Sam was excellent, keep it up fella, Bailey ran his nuts off and was very agitated, was sitting right near the Ipswich dug out, and at one point Bailey was bollocking Burton for not chasing back to defend a throw in, for the rest of the game Burton chased everyhting back.
    Burton was good for the first 20-30, and linked up well with Jonjo, but detoriated later on.
    Llera, hmmm, for his size, not commanding enough in the air, and does fall over and play act a little bit, he can only improve IMO.
    Dailly, steady enough, nothing to shout about, but will do a job in League 1, and his experience can only help Llera, Basey etc etc.
    Jonjo, good performance, but not his best game, Rob Elliott, solid, very unlucky for the goal conceded, the defence let him down after his save, and blimey, didn't he let them know it, good on you Rob, heart on sleeve etc, keep it up.

All in all a good performance, although I suspect we were putting in more effort than Ipswich and wanted it more, so wont read too much into it.

Really hope Roy Keane enjoyed mine & my sons rendition of Follow, Follow, & Championees.
  • Options
    An appt. ran very late so couldn't get there. Many thanks to all who reported through the match and after. I feel a smidgeon of excitement brewing again, better news for us and Parky, reckon we all deserve it.
  • Options
    I can best summarise, by repeating what I said to the elusive CLifer Bobbolder on leaving the ground "On that evidence and with their current confidence levels, we'd have chalked up our fair share of Championship wins, let alone League 1 wins. We should do well, but only if Parky gets what he wants in terms of extra bodies and as long as we do not lose any more than 1 (if it's a must) from Jonjo, Bailey, Racon or Sam. Hopefully the Jammies have offered a bid of 1/2 mill plus for McLeod. They only need watch You Tube to know he is worth a lot more than that! ;)
  • Options
    I believe we do need a PROVEN goal scorer at this level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I believe we do need a PROVEN goal scorer at this level.

all say aye to this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Thought Sam was excellent, keep it up fella, Bailey ran his nuts off and was very agitated, was sitting right near the Ipswich dug out, and at one point Bailey was bollocking Burton for not chasing back to defend a throw in, for the rest of the game Burton chased everyhting back.
    Burton was good for the first 20-30, and linked up well with Jonjo, but detoriated later on.
    Llera, hmmm, for his size, not commanding enough in the air, and does fall over and play act a little bit, he can only improve IMO.
    Dailly, steady enough, nothing to shout about, but will do a job in League 1, and his experience can only help Llera, Basey etc etc.
    Jonjo, good performance, but not his best game, Rob Elliott, solid, very unlucky for the goal conceded, the defence let him down after his save, and blimey, didn't he let them know it, good on you Rob, heart on sleeve etc, keep it up.

All in all a good performance, although I suspect we were putting in more effort than Ipswich and wanted it more, so wont read too much into it.

Really hope Roy Keane enjoyed mine & my sons rendition of Follow, Follow, & Championees.

You didn't mention that the highlight of the night was meeting me...That was the best portion of chips I've had for ages
  • Options
    In reply to earlier comment, Fleetwood FAR better than at Barnet. Dicko contributed little except waving hands - would hardly have needed a shower after the game. Burton took the pens well, was quite lively first 20 mins, but not much involved after that - Jonjo did all his running!
    Spring impressed again, likewise Solly & Basey. Llera better than before, but better with long balls than short. Great pass to put Lloyd Sam in for first pen. Dailly - yes please. Youga finally quite useful.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I believe we do need a PROVEN goal scorer at this level.

And I think Parkinsella know that as well.

Burton is a clever and experienced player but not cut out for that role.

Mcleod looks like it should suit him down the ground what with his height, power and speed but just doesn't seem to cut it.

A good big man to hold it up and get on the end of crosses would add so much to the team play IMHO. If he had a bit of pace and knew where the net was then we'd be in heaven but those players tend to cost a bit of money.
  • Options
    Good to read through the comments.

My first thoughts on seeing the line-up were: If that side starts the season we will do well.

Shelvey, Racon and Bailey is a threesome that will be a level above anything we will come across in this division.

Do we think we can hold onto to the three of them?