Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich - Match Thread and post-match reports

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Great to be discussing footie again.

As with just about everyone else, I thought Racon was a diferent class last night, but I also thought that he was assisted greatly by Semedo. I think if we can keep that pair fit and playing together for next season, we'll be okay. (Could be argued that we might have been okay last season as well if we'd have had them both fit!!!!).

Bailey for me is still a little wasted wide out left and although I can see the need for it, I don't think it makes the best of the 5 in midfield because he can sometimes be isolated out there.

Not quite as enthused about Daily as everyone else, thought he got caught out a few times, but playing alongside a new centre half may be the reason for that. Lloyd Sam could have a massive impact for us this season if he continues with the form he showed last night. Yes his final ball can still be frustratingly inacurate, but considering he normally only has one target in Burton, up against two or three defenders, his options can sometimes be limited.

Pleased for Solly who looks like he could be a genuine contender for the right back spot. He wont often come up against the speed he faced last night, but still did well. Fleetwood looked okay and quick and if people think that criticising Chris Dickson's apparent lack of effort is unfair given the time he had to impress, I'm sorry but Kelly Youga's cameo put's that into perspective I'm afraid.

All in all, pleased I went last night as I'm a little more positive as a result.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Thought Sam was excellent, keep it up fella, Bailey ran his nuts off and was very agitated, was sitting right near the Ipswich dug out, and at one point Bailey was bollocking Burton for not chasing back to defend a throw in, for the rest of the game Burton chased everyhting back.
    Burton was good for the first 20-30, and linked up well with Jonjo, but detoriated later on.
    Llera, hmmm, for his size, not commanding enough in the air, and does fall over and play act a little bit, he can only improve IMO.
    Dailly, steady enough, nothing to shout about, but will do a job in League 1, and his experience can only help Llera, Basey etc etc.
    Jonjo, good performance, but not his best game, Rob Elliott, solid, very unlucky for the goal conceded, the defence let him down after his save, and blimey, didn't he let them know it, good on you Rob, heart on sleeve etc, keep it up.

All in all a good performance, although I suspect we were putting in more effort than Ipswich and wanted it more, so wont read too much into it.

Really hope Roy Keane enjoyed mine & my sons rendition of Follow, Follow, & Championees.

You didn't mention that the highlight of the night was meeting me...That was the best portion of chips I've had for ages

LOL, they weren't bad fella, and I do believe my son was the first person in history to spill ketchup on the new KRBS shirt, good effort.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]Great to be discussing footie again.

As with just about everyone else, I thought Racon was a diferent class last night, but I also thought that he was assisted greatly by Semedo. I think if we can keep that pair fit and playing together for next season, we'll be okay. (Could be argued that we might have been okay last season as well if we'd have had them both fit!!!!).

Bailey for me is still a little wasted wide out left and although I can see the need for it, I don't think it makes the best of the 5 in midfield because he can sometimes be isolated out there.

Not quite as enthused about Daily as everyone else, thought he got caught out a few times, but playing alongside a new centre half may be the reason for that. Lloyd Sam could have a massive impact for us this season if he continues with the form he showed last night. Yes his final ball can still be frustratingly inacurate, but considering he normally only has one target in Burton, up against two or three defenders, his options can sometimes be limited.

Pleased for Solly who looks like he could be a genuine contender for the right back spot. He wont often come up against the speed he faced last night, but still did well. Fleetwood looked okay and quick and if people think that criticising Chris Dickson's apparent lack of effort is unfair given the time he had to impress, I'm sorry but Kelly Youga's cameo put's that into perspective I'm afraid.

All in all, pleased I went last night as I'm a little more positive as a result.

Smashing little comment from you there at the begining of your post Killer....spot on in fact!
  • Options
    Was Youga really that good?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Was Youga really that good?

Well he wasn't on for that long (about 15 mins or so) but he was well up for it and looked really good.
  • Options
    I liked Solly too - looked like a cross breed of Phil Neville and Tony Hibbert. Very snappy but had trouble with their little number 11 just before he came off - good substitution by Parky as Youga looked like a different player without his dreads.

Only things that concerned me was Dicksons sulky presence, he looked like he was in a bit of a moody, flinging his arms about at his team mates and generally strutting around like he was too too good when actually Chris you were poor - don't like heading the ball do ya?

Also I noticed 4 or 5 players wearing pink boots. Whats-that-all-about?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]All in all a good performance, although I suspect we were putting in more effort than Ipswich and wanted it more, so wont read too much into it.

I'll read a lot into it. I think that is great to hear. How many times over the last three years have we said we have talented individuals who don't seem to want it enough ?

This is going to be a league of 100% committment, anything less and you'll get found out. Not basing anything on one friendly, but if that appears to be the attitude you saw, then i'm encouraged by that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]All in all a good performance, although I suspect we were putting in more effort than Ipswich and wanted it more, so wont read too much into it.

I'll read a lot into it. I think that is great to hear. How many times over the last three years have we said we have talented individuals who don't seem to want it enough ?

This is going to be a league of 100% committment, anything less and you'll get found out. Not basing anything on one friendly, but if that appears to be the attitude you saw, then i'm encouraged by that.

Spot on. We were well up for it and that can only be a good thing
  • Options
    It also shows the manager has the dressing room, and the players are prepared to do it for him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It also shows the manager has the dressing room, and the players are prepared to do it for him.

Do you think that is a turnaround from when he took over last season cos i don't think at any stage that the whole team put it in for parky last term...fingers crossed the worm has turned
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, OohAah, I can't be sure anymore than anyone else.

But the players appear to saying all the right things in interviews and putting in performances.

The coming season will tell us, sure enough.
  • Options
    correct oggy just as the last season told us , sure enough!!
  • Options
    My two penneth on last night.

Spent a good part of the second half trying to procure some chips from the kiosk in the East stand for my 9 year old daughter, the service was even more of a joke than normal with huge trailing queues before the half time whistle, and to cap it they decided to merge the queue I was in meaning by the time we got to the front all the chips had gone - I was livid and the years of over pricing, joke service, crap beer, crap food and queuing all welled up...

As I said before on this thread we don't look a league below, however I think we still have the outstanding problems from last year. Namely a solid flat midfield and not enough pace in bringing the ball out to attack.

Despite a plethora of midfielders I don't think any of them really compliment each other well in a central pairing. we need someone with athleticisim, strength and distribution - I guess we were spoilt in the past with Kins and then Parker.

Until then I guess its a case of finding the best 3 with one winger, however with this in mind I think 451 is a mistake without a more athletic front man, and two wingers its just too flat and goals from open play will be few and far between. If you are going to play a flat 3+1 you need to play two front men. So perhaps sacrifice Semedo from the midfield to accomodate this.

Llera looked OK to me, and I think I caught glimpses of a tricky right winger in the form of a certain Mr Youga late in the second half!! Althought they didn't achieve much with the short time they had on I rather liked the pairing of Fleetwood and Dickson.

I thought Ipswich were quicker and fitter though but not by a huge margin.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Spot on. We were well up for it and that can only be a good thing

Not saying it was not a good thing, but not getting carried away, Ipswich played a fairly young side in the first half and did not throw theirselves into the game as much as we did (ie, for a friendly we took it seriously, they did not IMO)
    If they show that level of commitment this season I'll be happy, but one swallow doth not a summer make.
  • Options
    Walked out of the Ground last night with a smile on my face,plenty of positives last night let's hope we can build on them.Bournemouth here i come :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Sam frustrates me, he could be so more effective if he whipped that cross over the first time he beat the defender instead of coming back and trying to beat him again.

Oh Uncle, if we had a pound for every time somebody has posted that comment about Sam. I still think that he is quality at this level and will be one of our star performers this season.

I didn't go last night but there seem to be some encouraging signs. Clearly there is need for CB cover and of course we all want a 20 goals plus striker but I have always felt that with the midfield quality we have, (provided they stay) we will be alright. We saw signs of this at the end of last season. We've lost ZZ which was always on cards but the others are still there.

For me its going to be all about the cycle of belief and confidence. The last three seasons have been about a lack of belief both on and off the pitch. That affected confidence which was extremely fragile. If that can be turned around, with a few decent signings, we will have a decent season.
  • Options
    Have to say after reading the comments on here I suddenly feel much keener for the season to start. I just hope it really does signal more positive stuff on the pitch. I have been dreading what the coming season would bring if I'm honest.
    I'm almost afraid to hope. That's what the last couple of seasons have done unfortunately but here's hoping eh.
  • Options
    It is encouraging to read something positive.

To my shame, although I am busy one way and the other at the moment, I simply could not muster up the enthusiasm to go.

I hope I feel differently before the start of the season proper.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Shelvey, Racon and Bailey is a threesome that will be a level above anything we will come across in this division.

I'd add Sam to that. Pleased to hear he's carried on his form. If he can keep it up and add the odd goal to his game he'll be very important for us.

Good to know Solly did well, I've said before he'll be fine as back up for Richardson.

Feeling more positive now and getting a bit excited about the new season. Pleased to see we're looking at Dailly and Jaidi, much more like what we need in comparison to the other defenders we had on trial. No disrespect to them, but players released by Rangers and Birmingham should be a level or two above players released by the likes of Crewe.
  • Options
    Think I saw you & your daughter in the East Stand, Block E last night, Razil. Sort of recognised you from your profile piccy .

Pleased that your problem was only down to chips , or rather lack of. I'd begun to think your lovely lass had a weak bladder !

I'll say hello next time I see you .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought I would leave the Valley in a slough of despair last night, but it was quite the reverse.

Was very encouraged by the spirit of the team and the blend of youth and experience.

Right tit in the lower west kept abusing everyone (especially Llera - who will make mistakes, but played some good football and put the effort in - he needs to be encouraged) but was really supportive of Fleetwood when he came on - strange!

Liked the look of Solly and Dailly (sign him up).

So looking good, but we all know we need more firepower...
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Richardson too when he's fit. Presumably he'll be Parky's first choice .
  • Options
    Uploaded the first 2 penalty videos and my photos. Enjoy.

Deon's 1st penalty

Deon's 2nd penalty

A few photos
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    An odd question...

What Keeper Jersey was Rab wearing in nets for us?

In Bray he wore the Bray Wanderers Keeper jersey...
  • Options
    see the new kit tonight thread.

All green 1st half and all "Clementine" orange in the 2nd