Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ambrose

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
Thanks very much for him! Scored another excellent goal today, his 8th goal in 16 appearances...

Hope those who made the long journey today have a good weekend out in Newcastle or something, you'd be mad to travel to Carlisle purely for the game.

Comments

• Options
    you have just put the mockers on hes season!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, Ambrose is baffling isn't he?

Why did we not get the best out of him? Did we not play to his strengths - or did we simply never find out what his strengths were?

He was always in and out of our side, and he could never have known if the manager was going to pick him from one week to the next. Palace make him one of the first names on the team sheet and he's repaid their faith with dividends.

Always seemed to be one of those players best described as ''enigmatic'' when he was at Charlton. But there's damn all ''enigmatic'' about 8 goals in 16 games, is there?

I'm glad he's doing well. Just wish it was for someone other than your lot,Churley...
  • Options
    I rated him more than a lot of charlton did. Never really bought into the idea of lumping him in with bent (m), hasselbank etc as someone who didn't care. He was anonymous at times but he also scored goals and played under some of the worst managers in the history of management.
    Still think he's a .... now tho.
  • Options
    the answer manager's,didn't know how to use him.In the role Jonjo has been playin is his best.I got very frustrated with him,maybe it was more to do with the manager/managers
  • Options
    Is rather watch my nine year old than that utter gobshite.

Hes at the right club.
  • Options
    The reason I got 'upset' at Darren was not that he did not have ability, but that he failed to produce it, more than half a game every three weeks!

A player who SHOULD have been one of the best in the championship, a rated England under21 with an eye for a goal.

He had several chances, quite why he could not produce what he is doing at Palace at Charlton I have no idea.......

Fair comment he had his injuries and lacked confidence, but if he does or did not have confidence in his ability, and produced it on a regular basis, I guess he is in the Wayne Routledge class for me, and at Charlton we had too many that SHOULD have produced the
    form many supporters knew, or saw in him. Blaming the manager is an easy cope out, sure he should man manage, but then that was in scant supply last year. Sometimes things do not work out. He was not the only one, but one of those that i blame for Charlton's demise to this league, as I do not think he delivered. What he is doing now is what i expected him to do for us. No more no less.
  • Options
    The most under rated Charlton player ever. I will never say a bad thing against him, a thoroughly decent player who is proving just how good he really is. He's proving wrong all those talentless tossers who have slagged him off over the years.

Good luck to him I say.
  • Options
    ''What he is doing now is what i expected him to do for us. No more no less.'

So the crucial question remains unaswered, Ken. Why didn't he? You say ''blaming the manager is an easy cop out''. But then so is saying the player was a lazy b*****d who couldn't be bothered to make an effort.

I really don't know the answer. It's also worth mentioning that he flopped when he went back to Ipswich on loan. So perhaps it is down to the way Palace have managed him...but I agree that his success there only adds to the frustration we all felt when he was our player.
  • Options
    Just makes me loathe him even more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]the answer manager's,didn't know how to use him.In the role Jonjo has been playin is his best.I got very frustrated with him,maybe it was more to do with the manager/managers
    agreed more game time and more of being second striker would have been brilliant!

[cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Is rather watch my nine year old than that utter gobshite.

Hes at the right club.
    what exactly did he do so wrong? Feel he was greatly mis understood to be honest played RW when he would always be a better RAM!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ambrose was at last chance saloon and he knows it.
    Maybe that has scared him into pulling his finger out.

With his talent and ability and as one of our creative players I felt he should have been demanding the ball and bossing the game as a pivotal player.
    The fact that he always seemed a peripheral figure is what frustrated me and I'm guessing a lot of others.
    IMO he didn't realise his full potential because there is something lacking in his make-up, a la Lisbie.
    Bully for him for doing well for Palace (b*stard); but I wouldn't be surprised if teams start to target him and he'll revert to type, cave-in and disappear again.
  • Options
    Saying this through gritted teeth, but it shows how good a man manager Colin can be.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He was just an enigma. He had bundles of ability but didn't produce it apart from glimpses during rhe game. Personally I felt it was upto the manager to unlock his talent. Curbs did to some extent, Dowie and Pardew definitely didn't. By the time Parky took over he was demoralised by the previous failures and couldn't wait to get out.
  • Options
    That was my very point Nigel! why did he not perform for us...... and as I stated I do not know why, he never seemed to me to to be a 'difficult player', but then again I did not meet the guy.

According to the 'rumour' he once turned up late, because he got delayed in traffic on the M25. With me I would have 'camped' in the Valley car park the night before a game! or stayed at the Clarendon and walked in if I had to.......

Perhaps he belived his own pr..... written by his agent who knows.
    Like Thomas, Rommadahl, etc..... did not do, what I thought they were capable of.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It frustrated me and i'm sure Ambrose too that he was shunted out to the left wing for much of his Charlton career, definitely not his position. The big problem we had at the time was that our defensive midfield 'enforcer' was too weak to carry a player like Ambrose as his partner. Good luck to him, shame he never had the platform for his talents with us.
  • Options
    Basicallty he couldnt give a shit - wait till the goin gets tough at palace and then we will see - probably my most loathed player of recent years - although that is because the thing i hate most most is people with obvious quality who don't give ashit
  • Options
    A real enigma Ambrose. Curbs got him playing when his best buddy Darren Bent was on fire and it is also easy to forget that in the first Championship season he scored 9 goals and had at least that number of assists.

The problem was that he was too lightweight to play centrally in an already brittle midfield and too lazy when it came to helping out defensively to play on the flanks. It looks like Warnock has found a way to use him though!
  • Options
    Whatever Warnock has done with him, he was never going to do it here and it was time for him to go.
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]A real enigma Ambrose. Curbs got him playing when his best buddy Darren Bent was on fire and it is also easy to forget that in the first Championship season he scored 9 goals and had at least that number of assists.

The problem was that he was too lightweight to play centrally in an already brittle midfield and too lazy when it came to helping out defensively to play on the flanks. It looks like Warnock has found a way to use him though!

And that really. Only position for him was behind the striker, but that meant playing 4-5-1 which we didn't always want to play and we also had Zheng who could play there and eventually Shelvey.
  • Options
    Here's the thing with Darren: he has the talent, he's not a bad boy - he's basically a nice family man, but he can tend toward complacency, possibly because he's always been more talented than those around him, which may be his curse. When he went back to Ipswich on loan, he was so sure they'd make it permanent that he bought his house there, only to get binned back to us as soon as they had an option. At that point he no longer had any illusions that the world was going to be served up to him on a plate - all it needed was a competent manager to get the best out of him.

I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    He was a waste of space played out wide, it did neither him or the team any favours. He needed to play in the hole behind the striker. He was an excellent finisher, had quick feet and could pick a pass. The fact that most fans could see where his best position was, but the manager couldn't, say's it all about how poorly we have been managed over recent seasons. Yet another valuable player we ended up giving away because we couldn't get the best out of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't he carrying an injury undiagnosed for the 1st championship season and then had a major hip (?) operation, maybe that had something to do with the last couple of years.
  • Options
    I quiet liked him at the Valley and knew we never got the best of him like allot of good players we have had. Still since he has been at Palarse seems like hes been doing ok just another case of us wasting good talent.
  • Options
    another one for ambrose tonight 9 goals for the eagles ...... booooooooooooooo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I quiet liked him at the Valley and knew we never got the best of him like allot of good players we have had. Still since he has been at Palarse seems like hes been doing ok just another case of us wasting good talent.

Or a manager that can motivate him.
  • Options
    Where is he playing for Palarse, tucked out on the wing or in the middle where he can do some damage?
  • Options
    I always rated him, obviously something not right for him or us at The Valley, whether that's motivation or the management/coaching we will never know I suppose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Where is he playing for Palarse, tucked out on the wing or in the middle where he can do some damage?
    I was wondering that. Sky Sports Score Centre for last night put him in the middle (well right side, but that's probably wrong) of a 4-5-1. Saturday it put him on the right side of the attack in a 4-3-3.

A fresh start is probably just what he needed. I'm not sure he'd have ever done it here.

Though we should remember he scored goals here but didn't always play well. Look at the comments we had from Bristol Rovers fans about Dickson, with his goals there you'd think they'd all be saying how great he is. Ambrose is scoring goals but it doesn't mean he's playing well for the rest of the game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]Where is he playing for Palarse, tucked out on the wing or in the middle where he can do some damage?
    I was wondering that. Sky Sports Score Centre for last night put him in the middle (well right side, but that's probably wrong) of a 4-5-1. Saturday it put him on the right side of the attack in a 4-3-3.

A fresh start is probably just what he needed. I'm not sure he'd have ever done it here.

Though we should remember he scored goals here but didn't always play well. Look at the comments we had from Bristol Rovers fans about Dickson, with his goals there you'd think they'd all be saying how great he is. Ambrose is scoring goals but it doesn't mean he's playing well for the rest of the game.

I'll take a midfielder on course for 15+ goals this season not playing well for the rest of the game thank you very much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I'll take a midfielder on course for 15+ goals this season not playing well for the rest of the game thank you very much.
    No doubt others still wouldn't be happy if he wasn't tracking back, "getting stuck in" and disppearing for 89 minutes.
  • Options
    His penalty last night was full of confidence too blasted in bottom corner brilliant (shame about the scummy club it was for) he is defo a man on form hes obviously found a good neiche at Plarse shame but it seems its just another talent we have wasted.