Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ambrose

Comments

• Options
    At lot of you seem to care deeply about a player who didn't perform for us and is now playing for a rival club.

I tend to ignore what such players are doing. Might just be me but it tends to lead to a less stressful life.
  • Options
    I think it's more what it says about our club. He came to us a U21 regular, scoring at that level and did well. His decline happened while he was with us and seems to have arrested the second he got out the door.

If you don't learn from history you're doomed to repeat it.
  • Options
    if it's true that he is playing the 'Jonjo role' for Palace, then Warnock is doing a good job at exploiting his undoubted talent, something that was never really done here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]At lot of you seem to care deeply about a player who didn't perform for us and is now playing for a rival club.

I tend to ignore what such players are doing. Might just be me but it tends to lead to a less stressful life.

Am just interested in football in general mate. So i show interest in all our former players and well all footballers. I dont let small things like this stress me out i have much bigger stresses in my life than Darreen Ambrose and some muggy club called palace. However it is interesting to see how we could of used his tallents.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have some sympathy for Darren during his career to date. He was a talented youngster, represented his country at U21 level, was picked out by Sir Bobby as a star for the future and brought to Newcastle where things just didn't quite happen for him. Curbs bought him, he got sent off in his first game, and then, it seemed to me, he never really had a period where he was an automatic pick. Then came the relegation seasons and despite his goals and assists, he never really seemed "up for it" for much of the time.

I think sometimes the penny takes a long time to drop. Maybe the realisation that talent was not enough to cut the mustard has led to his resurgence at Palace. Maybe the chastening experience of being dumped by Ipswich has finally led him to a sea change in attitude. It has to be something to do with that and a manager who can motivate. In the end though, for him to change is down to him. Warnock, I'm sure, can prod him in the right direction and help him to stay on track but he needed to change his attitude.
  • Options
    Wise words as ever from Bing...
  • Options
    I still think he is shit.
  • Options
    Perhaps they dont boo him the first time he misplaces a pass.
  • Options
    I don't care about Ambrose, he was awful for us at times and showed a lack of committment, determination and bottle on numerous occassions. If he does well at Palace and gets 15 goals then fair enough but I am more concerned with ther players that are still with us.
    Ambrose was apparantly on over 20k a week, no one at the club rated him (that includes members of the board) and for someone earning so uch and once hailed as a future england player, he like many others let the club down with his performances. He also tried to blame a 3 year old injury for his poor form, which was a joke!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Perhaps they dont boo him the first time he misplaces a pass.

Could also be applied to Lisbie this one. Who will be this seasons scapegoat if we fail? It wouldn't be the Charlton way if we didn't! Have we got enough loanees to start blaming them yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McLeod is slowely becoming a bit of a scapegoat!
  • Options
    Ambrose consistenly provided assists for the team (I guess he was never out of the top 3 for assists in his time with us) and it was obvious his quality was there.

Unfortunately he was with us at a time when as a club we were possibly on a downward spiral. He was very frustrating though.

It would be interesting what people would have thought of Claus Jensen had he been in the same team setup/time period as Ambrose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]McLeod is slowely becoming a bit of a scapegoat!

I think we have a winner!
  • Options
    Agree with Cafcdan18 on the previous page.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]we were possibly on a downward spiral

possibly???? lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It would be interesting what people would have thought of Claus Jensen had he been in the same team setup/time period as Ambrose.

Better player surely? I know what you mean though.

Perhaps Ambrose would have looked better playing when we had the likes of Parker, Robinson, Kinsella etc in midfield who could have done a lot of the hard work and defending for him.
  • Options
    I couldn't care less what he's doing for them , he was a lazy good for nothing so and so at Charlton and when he went I felt like having a street party
  • Options
    He'll get injured before Christmas and be out for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]McLeod is slowely becoming a bit of a scapegoat!

Disagree. Quickly I would say.
  • Options
    Extraordinary reaction, I must say. Even if he gets 30 goals this season, I reckon most of you guys will still be saying he's shit, he's lazy, glad to see the back of him ...forgive nothing, forget nothing - and learn nothing!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's getting there 10th or 11th this season now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Extraordinary reaction, I must say. Even if he gets 30 goals this season, I reckon most of you guys will still be saying he's shit, he's lazy, glad to see the back of him ...forgive nothing, forget nothing - and learn nothing!!!

Oh for goodness sake chill out you pompous prig.
    I think most of his detractors are referring to his time with Charlton.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Extraordinary reaction, I must say. Even if he gets 30 goals this season, I reckon most of you guys will still be saying he's shit, he's lazy, glad to see the back of him ...forgive nothing, forget nothing - and learn nothing!!!
    I fully agree with nigel here though maybe it's not necessarily a better manage but a style that suits ambrose
  • Options
    The best thing about this thread is people saying they don't care about ambrose, err so why come on to the thread and why comment?
  • Options
    Looking like it was a mistake letting him go.

However if he had stayed theres no way he would have scored even a third of the amount he has so far this season. We don't miss him and he probably doesn't miss us. Just a shame it's Palace he's scoring for...
  • Options
    I'd much rather have Bailey than Ambrose.
  • Options
    ''Oh for goodness sake chill out you pompous prig.''

I presume that mean you don't agree? What a charming way of expressing a comradely difference of opinion!

Glad to see Ambrose doing well, although one wishes it was for a team other than Palace. He was one of the classiest, most talented players we've had at Charlton in recent years but was ill-used by both management and fans.

As Kap 10 says, you have to wonder why people feel the need to come on here and tell us they don't care about Ambrose with such vehemence and abuse ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I'd much rather have Bailey than Ambrose.

Different sort of players though aren't they? i'd have thought the Palace equivalent of Bailey would be Derry.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]''Oh for goodness sake chill out you pompous prig.''

I presume that mean you don't agree? What a charming way of expressing a comradely difference of opinion!

Glad to see Ambrose doing well, although one wishes it was for a team other than Palace. He was one of the classiest, most talented players we've had at Charlton in recent years but was ill-used by both management and fans.

As Kap 10 says, you have to wonder why people feel the need to come on here and tell us they don't care about Ambrose with such vehemence and abuse ...

To some fans football is black or white and someone like Ambrose is sums that sentiment perfectly. If he had been a great success with us and chosen to leave to join Palace he would have been a Judas. By the same token, having underchieved with us, some go into denial and refuse to accept that he really could ever have been that good.

The irony of it all is that, having favoured for so long 4-5-1, Parky might just have found the man to sit in behind Burton and get those vital 15 to 20 goals a season. Having said that, that position was clearly always reserved for Jonjo though I'm sure he could still have been accomodated.

Management is all about getting the best out of your players and for all his faults that is what Warnock does so well. So far as Parky is concerned the Jury is still out for me.