Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your First Pub Drink ?

Comments

• Options
    Red Lion Shooters Hill back in the days Sandy Shaw's father in law ran it.
  • Options
    Probably the Jolly Fenman or The Blackboy or The Beehive or The Woodman or The Crossways or The Falcon. Some pub crawl! I think it was the Fenman.
    Would have been 15/16. Used to drink underage in the student bar at Avery Hill college too, The Dive.
  • Options
    Either Bull & Vic or Masons Arms in Dartford
  • Options
    yorkshire grey. 1985.
  • Options
    The Railway, Greenhithe - sadly now a McD's - aged 15, vodka and orange.

Really though, my first drink in a pub was a sip from my Dad's pint glass held in two hands in the garden of the Lads of the Village, Stone, aged around 5, whilst he played bat and trap!

First legal drink was in the Lads as got snowed in on my 18th and the pub was only 2 mins away. Remember everyone's socks and boots lined up along the radiators drying out before the walk back home :-)
  • Options
    Seven Stars or Red Lion in Footscray High Street.....Light n Bitter.
  • Options
    mronelung ...the Masons long gone alas....
  • Options
    15 at the " duchess " brook st. pint of bitter in a jug.

i used to work part-time down the " black prince " years ago when they used to have live music and it used to really piss me of when people used to ask for a straight glass. i always thought they were awkward bastards and couldn't see what all the fuss was between jugs and straight glasses. many, many, years on, i can now.
  • Options
    Pint of King and Barnes Festive in the Moonraker in Crawley
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]The Bull in St Paul's Cray, circa 1968...
    , nigel i live right by the bull and still go in there now,how comes you drank in there were you real close to it as in them days there were a load of pubs in the cray.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]Pint of King and Barnes Festive in the Moonraker in Crawley
    Wheres that or where was that?

Mine was at the Oak aged 13 silly Footy fans feeding me booze!
  • Options
    Three Bridges Road mate. Between the Snooty Fox and the Plough. The Plough was where I did the majority of my underage drinking. Used to be great in there
  • Options
    Hare & Billett on Blackheath. Had a reputation for serving youngsters. Started in there when I was about 15.......

Useful as you could always puke in the pond on the way home.
  • Options
    Light & Keg, The Bugle, Charlton Village around 14/15.
  • Options
    The Valley Club! I was "treated" to some or other crap lager mixed with lime in a panelled pint jug just to make me feel one of the gang. Felt even more grown up nonchalantly saying hi to Les Berry with said pint in hand.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Cuff[/cite]Three Bridges Road mate. Between the Snooty Fox and the Plough. The Plough was where I did the majority of my underage drinking. Used to be great in there[/quote]

I know the Moonraker!

If memory serves mine was The Bell in Reigate, on a lunchtime during school, least thats what I think it was called (the one opposite Morrisons?).
  • Options
    watneys red barrel ----------- if you were lucky enough to have never tasted this then i can only say it wasnt beer but recycled Sarsons vineger.

Light and bitter in the days before a mesured amount yo could get a pint and a third.

Snack bite -- WTF was that all about ?

Vodka and malibo --------------- jesus.

Pale Ale ?

Brown Ale ?

Mild-- when my family ran boozers slops got put into the mild.

Rum and coke

Jack pot 4

Lager and lime

Dear God how did we survive ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]watneys red barrel ----------- if you were lucky enough to have never tasted this then i can only say it wasnt beer but recycled Sarsons vineger.

Light and bitter in the days before a mesured amount yo could get a pint and a third.

Snack bite -- WTF was that all about ?

Vodka and malibo --------------- jesus.

Pale Ale ?

Brown Ale ?

Mild-- when my family ran boozers slops got put into the mild.

Rum and coke

Jack pot 4

Lager and lime

Dear God how did we survive ?[/quote]

Had a very similar conversation with a mate a few weeks back. Remembering the days of Friday & Saturday night at the Venue......17 & 18 year olds downing half a bottle of vodka and a couple of cans of Super T before going out.

Christ knows what damage it did.....scary looking back now.
  • Options
    aaahhh, lager & light, used to be very good be very good value for money.

What year did the first all day opening start? Me and some pals used to have what we called super Sunday's, once a month, meet in the Vanbrugh Tavern, then off to the William IV for the lingerie models and then a pub crawl all day.

And can anyone remember the opening times before this? All I can remember is Sunday 12-3 (I thinkmaybe 2pm), then closed until 7pm.
  • Options
    lol opening hours.......weird times crayford pubs had differant opening hours to dartford ..........many a time spent alseep in dartford park from 2.30 to think 6 waiting for pub to reopen............youth today never had it so good.............crikey just remembered going up to the Prince Albert bexleyheath and getting takeaways in the little offy they had in the pub.............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back in the last century Sunday opening was 12-2 and 7-10:30.

Parts of Wales were "dry" on Sundays too. I remember being in Bangor in torrential rain c1974 and being reduced to watching a film called "Big Foot" (arguably the worst film ever made) at the cinema just to find some shelter!
  • Options
    Crook log - Bexleyheath. When it was a real pub....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rhinosvalley[/cite]Introduced to the drinking scene by bruv AFKA to The Albany, Albany Park........

Also William Camden, Bexleyheath - remember first time ever having Stella with a Charlton fan who was spitting image of Pat Sharpe (80's tv presenter)......first time I suffered badly.....did not go down to well.......

Lucky 1905, I dont drink like that now in there Camden....bad enough on Fosters........!

Pat Sharp lookalike, not a lad called Kevin was it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rhinosvalley[/cite]Introduced to the drinking scene by bruv AFKA to The Albany, Albany Park........

Also William Camden, Bexleyheath - remember first time ever having Stella with a Charlton fan who was spitting image of Pat Sharpe (80's tv presenter)......first time I suffered badly.....did not go down to well.......

Lucky 1905, I dont drink like that now in there Camden....bad enough on Fosters........!

Sounds like Lewis coaches, back in the day ?
  • Options
    Well what a nice question....sadly I honestly can't remember...though I'd love to know where and when.
    At a guess it would have been somewhere in Catford around 1964'ish.
    I'll guess and say The Rising Sun.
  • Options
    I have no clear idea either, it would have been around 1981, probably at The Hop Bine in Biggleswade, Beds. Had been beering it up for a couple of years previously, but that would have been at Rockabilly clubs
  • Options
    Would have been one of three, The Royal Standard Blackheath, but could have been British Oak in Old Dover Road, or The Valley pub in Elliscombe Road ... all within easy walking distance of Cherry Orchard Estate
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I have no clear idea either, it would have been around 1981, probably at The Hop Bine in Biggleswade, Beds. Had been beering it up for a couple of years previously, but that would have been at Rockabilly clubs

What ones Perry?

Have you seen the Danny Baker documentarys from the early 80's on youtube about Rockabilly, well worth a watch, it's in 6 parts, link to the first below

20th Century Box part 1
  • Options
    think mine was the Prince Albert, Gravel Hill a few weeks before my 16th cos i remember shouting across to a pal whether they were coming to Crayford town hall for my 16th. div.