Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your First Pub Drink ?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]think mine was the Prince Albert, Gravel Hill a few weeks before my 16th cos i remember shouting across to a pal whether they were coming to Crayford town hall for my 16th. div.

Myself, Dowman & 1905 had some right old times in the Albert way back in the mid to late 80's
  • Options
    Prince Albert spring 1997 17 yrs old

then it was moon and sixpence every friday irn bru wkd's which were £2 each. 4 of them, chips in pitta from kebabye = £1 and a 51 home =£1

£10 every friday night - bargain.
  • Options
    Salutation in Dartford (sadly no more) bout 20 years ago aged 15-16.
  • Options
    LenGlover

Back in the last century Sunday opening was 12-2 and 7-10:30.

Parts of Wales were "dry" on Sundays too. I remember being in Bangor in torrential rain c1974 and being reduced to watching a film called "Big Foot" (arguably the worst film ever made) at the cinema just to find some shelter!

I was there too. Talked my way into the working mens club which for some reason was exempt(and crowded).

First drank in the Nordenfeldt, Erith, during school lunch break. A bit tricky as the teachers were in the saloon bar.
  • Options
    The White Swan in Charlton Village when it was a proper pub. I used to spend Sunday lunchtime there with my Mum and Step-dad. Jack McGrath was a proper fat, red-cheeked landlord who smoked and swore like a trooper.He was a friend of the family and he would give me jobs to do until, the pub shut at 2pm. Then it was time for me to pull my own pint and sup it at the bar. Look at it now......
  • Options
    The Paper Moon, Dartford, c.2001. Fun days
  • Options
    Hercules Pillars (just off The Kingsway) in London - June 1983 , 1st day at work when I was 16.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Hercules Pillars (just off The Kingsway) in London - June 1983 , 1st day at work when I was 16.

Mmmmm Hercules Pilars..............are you on the square golfie?
  • Options
    The Black Horse, Sidcup at16.
    "What can I get you luv?"

"Three pints please"

"Of what?"

'Beer please."
    My mate's older sister steps in before we get chucked out!
  • Options
    The Yorkshire Grey, Eltham 1982. Pint of Double Diamond.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    North Stand Steve said of The Bull in St Paul's Cray :
    ''nigel i live right by the bull and still go in there now,how comes you drank in there were you real close to it as in them days there were a load of pubs in the cray.''

I lived in St Paul's Cray from 1956-71 and went to the little CoE infant school about 100 yards from the Bull.

The school , right next to St Paulinus church, closed in the late 1970s and was converted into a house. We very nearly bought it in 1987 , in which case we would have been neighbours, Steve. But we decided we wanted to be more rural and moved further out into the wilds of Kent.

Used to drink in the Bull in the late 1960s/early 1970s with my first girlfriend, Ruth,who lived in Chalk Pit Avenue. They used to have an old air raid shelter in the pub garden and one night after a few pints we went out into the garden and ...no, I'll leave it there, I think !!!
  • Options
    the plough , lewisham 1987
  • Options
    The Castle, Woolwich 1971 age 16. Light and Bitter (it worked out to more than a pint). Seems like a lifetime away, and it is.
  • Options
    I wanna say the Who'd a thought it, but that was when i got my own pint at 16!! I would then say the first real beer i had was with Bro Morts Genius and pals in the Bugle, aged prob about 14 or 15!!

Pubs i used to do well in tho, as a 16 year old, was the Moon and six year old in Welling, Crown and cushion in Woolwich (Now sadly defunct!), the Pullman Woolwich (Now sadly defunct!) the Director General Woolwich, and as said the Whod'y were all good boozers for a bum fluff top lip and a cheap beer!! used to love drinking in pubs then, used to get in the Guy almost everyday too from praps 96 to 98, great days those, just wander in and know most of the pub!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    King's Arms, Greenwich. Used to go there every Friday night when I was a whippersnapper. Never particularly fussy about asking for ID - which was handy because I looked about twelve :)

Then, as now, it was a pint of Guinness
  • Options
    The Ram in Catford.

I used to hate the lager in there, even though I didn't know any different, and drunk what was probably ridiculously expensive two bottles of Carlsberg and a splash of lime in a pint glass. This was pre-drinking out of a bottle days.

If I was looking for something else I'd go with, and it totally embarrasses me now, a malibu and pineapple. Ugh.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]North Stand Steve said of The Bull in St Paul's Cray :
    ''nigel i live right by the bull and still go in there now,how comes you drank in there were you real close to it as in them days there were a load of pubs in the cray.''

I lived in St Paul's Cray from 1956-71 and went to the little CoE infant school about 100 yards from the Bull.

The school , right next to St Paulinus church, closed in the late 1970s and was converted into a house. We very nearly bought it in 1987 , in which case we would have been neighbours, Steve. But we decided we wanted to be more rural and moved further out into the wilds of Kent.

Used to drink in the Bull in the late 1960s/early 1970s with my first girlfriend, Ruth,who lived in Chalk Pit Avenue. They used to have an old air raid shelter in the pub garden and one night after a few pints we went out into the garden and ...no, I'll leave it there, I think !!![/quote]

quality nigel I live in Gardiners Close (first left through the width barriers) I knew the bloke who converted the old school building,Up to a few years ago the lanlord was a Charlton fan (John Morfill) sadly got cancer and died within
    8 months of it being diagnosed.He was a top top bloke who ran a very good boozer great for families and the restaurant was top class.Sadly after his death the pikey's got in there and it went a bit downhill,despite the best efforts of his wife and his son.They have got them out now but it's not the same.Great sunday lunchtime and early friday evening boozer.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the british sailor,greenwich 1987ish. not the greatest pub i've ever been in,but possibly the only one that would serve me and yet i couldn't have been more out of place in there.
  • Options
    First beer was on a school trip in Boulogne in 1968, aged 14.
    Second was a Mackeson (why????) in a pub in Llangorse, Wales on a school trip 1971.
    First drink in blighty was Worthinton E in the Union Tavern, Woolwich.
  • Options
    Pint of Castlemaine XXXX in the Croham Arms South Croydon, early 80s. Spent many a night in the Croham which, despite being in the heartland of the Team of the Eighties (lol), was thankfully pretty much a Nigel free zone!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nigel W
    Your girlfriend Ruth ,did she have a friend that lived in St Justin Close by the name of Sharon whos father had a red mini.Would be around 1970.We also liked to drink in The Bull .
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes, quite probably Lewis!

And cross-refing your other thread about you (briefly) being a Chelsea supporter in 1966, do you remember a guy who lived in St Paul's Cray back then called Keith Lawrence ? I played for the Grays Farm school team with him circa 1963, and then in 1968/9-ish he joined Chelsea as an apprentice. Never made much of a career there but I think he may have played a couple of times in cup games. He was St Paul's Cray's only claim to fame back then (apart from the bloke in Ethelbert Road who killed someone, but we didn't talk about that because it upset his younger sister Susan, who also used to drink in the Bull with us!)
  • Options
    remembered this coming up a couple of years ago on here.

Mine was 14th September 1991, aged 15 and 3 months, in the Queens pub over at West Ham. Charlton were playing Pompey that day, won 3 - 0, and 5,726 others watched it with me (the game, not my first pub pint).

Pretty sure i gave Swerve the money and he ordered it for me.

Clearly got the taste for it, as on the way back i got talked into going down a lad i'd met that day's "local". I was impressed he had a local already despite the fact he was only 16 (Pat Sharpe to those on here who know who i mean, and no DA9, not called Kev). Remember calling my mum from Bexleyheath station to check it was ok, and what time i had to be home by.

We got the bus down to the Forresters Arms at Lodge Hill and he confidently strode to the bar and ordered "Fosters please Mickey". I looked up in horror and discovered that Mickey was the dad of one of my team mates in my U15 football team.

He was grinning like a demented idiot, then sarkily goes 'and what about you young Smudge'. Looking at my shoes, i somehow mumbled 'yeah, i'll have the same please Micky' and was too afraid to look up for about ten seconds. When i eventually looked up i saw he was halfway through pouring the pint, and the relief was like nothing i'd experienced before.

He had a word with me at football the next morning, and said he was alright about me going down there with a few mates, as long as we didn't go shouting about it, and behaved ourselves. Absolute top fella. Within weeks we had a crowd as regulars and would hog the dartboard all night playing killer. Happy days !
  • Options
    Oh AFKA that makes me feel so old, i'd have been in there to on said day at the ripe old age of 20! :-(
  • Options
    Bird in Hand, Dartford.

Was only 17 and it became the regular haunt. The landlay Rene was a lovely lady, but gave me a cuff round the ear when I celebrated my 18th Birthday in the pub as I'd been going in there for the previous 6 months!!!!!!
  • Options
    The Avenue/Bar Rio's was a regular haunt as a 15 year old

So was Big Hand Moes, the Star and the Wheatsheaf all in Gillingham/Chatham

I honestly cannot remember the first one though, I remember the first time I got served in an off-licence. That was good, the dozy old Irish lady behnd the counter didn't bat an eyelid. Then forced my fat ginger mate (who looked well young) to buy a carton of apple juice or something like that as she wouldn't let him leave without buying anything for some reason but would not let him have his bottle of K cider! We were about 14/15 then

Asides that a real geeky lad from our year at school looked about 20 when he was 13 and we used to send him in
  • Options
    The Salutation, Dartford around 1985 , aged 15, pint of the finest piss called Hofmeister.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My dad used to slip me a mouthful of light ale from the age of about 12 up at the Welcome Inn. The first time I got served in a pub was the Earl of Chatham in Woolwich at the age of 14 but that was the only time I managed to get away with it. Lager and lime was the drink of the day. Went and stayed at a caravan park in Clacton aged 15 and had no problems getting served there. Lager and Lime was still the drink but was persuaded to change to light and bitter coz it was 4p cheaper at 14p per pint and you got a little extra. Happy days.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bloody network
  • Options
    The Albany nr Albany Park station.

Mugged myself right off too. Was 16/17 and still stunned that he asked me what i wanted i deepened my voice a bit and as if i was i casually ordering a drink in the Queen Vic said "pint please mate" just as they do on 'enders.

"PINT OF WHAT?!" said the barman.
    "lager please"
    "WHICH ONE?"
    "i dunno"

Everyone in earshot was pissing themselves. Felt like a right muppet.