Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your First Pub Drink ?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]Bird in Hand, Dartford.

Was only 17 and it became the regular haunt. The landlay Rene was a lovely lady, but gave me a cuff round the ear when I celebrated my 18th Birthday in the pub as I'd been going in there for the previous 6 months!!!!!!

is that "the bird in hand" on the crayford to dartford rd? if it's the same one, i used to live very close and drank in there between '73-76.
  • Options
    15 years old in The Polo Bar, Bexleyheath on a Sunday night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rhinosvalley[/cite]15 years old in The Polo Bar, Bexleyheath on a Sunday night.

See thats had another change recently . "Club 32" I think or something.now.....I thought it finally settled down with as The Drayman.......lets see how long this one lasts......

It had to rebrand as the Drayman got closed down cos 'The RA' gang got caught doing drugs in the front garden and the bouncers didnt call the OB. I think its called Bar 2 now.
  • Options
    1992 in the Thomas A' Becket on the Old Kent Road...

Was 15 and i ordered me and a mate two halves of bitter as we had no money!

Had already had a bottle of cider in the park and we managed to stay in the pub till midnight.

My parents weren't very impressed when i told them we had been playing football till that late!
  • Options
    KB that lady (Rene) could be my Aunt. My Aunt and Uncle (howard)ran the victory in Dartford donkeys years back, before they brought a pub in Greenhythe they also managed pubs in Dartford.

Rene is a small built lady looked and sounded like Cybil Fawlty. Howard an ex Guardsman and could spin a yarn with the best. They had a miner bird that swore likean East End Docker.
  • Options
    Cant remember if it was the Royal Eltham on Coldharbour estate, think its gone now, or The Crossroads at the top of New Eltham (now a McD or Burger King I think) or The Beehive in New Eltham, but I was 14/15 (circa 1969) had a pint of 'light and bitter' (that's all I drank then, as you got more than a pint) and 10 Park Drive. Bloody hell that takes me back!!
    Main drinking house for a few years was The Beehive until I sodded off out of London in 1978/9, whats the Beehive like now.........it used to be a proper old boozer with a 'snug' and all that?
    Last pint I had down there was Royal Oak first match of the season aginst Wycombe...2009!! Coming back again soon..........I hope!!
  • Options
    White Horse Chislehurst Xmas 1978 with my dad Or it might have been a few month before that in the same pub or it might have been the Bulls Head
    First legal one King & Queen public bar 1981
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]Cant remember if it was the Royal Eltham on Coldharbour estate, think its gone now, or The Crossroads at the top of New Eltham (now a McD or Burger King I think) or The Beehive in New Eltham, but I was 14/15 (circa 1969) had a pint of 'light and bitter' (that's all I drank then, as you got more than a pint) and 10 Park Drive. Bloody hell that takes me back!!
    Main drinking house for a few years was The Beehive until I sodded off out of London in 1978/9, whats the Beehive like now.........it used to be a proper old boozer with a 'snug' and all that?
    Last pint I had down there was Royal Oak first match of the season aginst Wycombe...2009!! Coming back again soon..........I hope!!

ask chirpy

beehive
  • Options
    I was thinking it must of been the foresters untill i read AFKA story and changed my mind, It must of been the Queens at West Ham. Great times in the Foresters i remember writing in chalk CAFC on micks millwall carpet.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]Bird in Hand, Dartford.

Was only 17 and it became the regular haunt. The landlay Rene was a lovely lady, but gave me a cuff round the ear when I celebrated my 18th Birthday in the pub as I'd been going in there for the previous 6 months!!!!!![/quote]

is that "the bird in hand" on the crayford to dartford rd? if it's the same one, i used to live very close and drank in there between '73-76.[/quote]

Yep that's the one mate, in the dip opposite Windsor Drive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]KB that lady (Rene) could be my Aunt. My Aunt and Uncle (howard)ran the victory in Dartford donkeys years back, before they brought a pub in Greenhythe they also managed pubs in Dartford.

Rene is a small built lady looked and sounded like Cybil Fawlty. Howard an ex Guardsman and could spin a yarn with the best. They had a miner bird that swore likean East End Docker.[/quote]

Blimey that would be a small world GH.

Your discription of Rene is spot on, so it could be, but she had a very distinctive issue with her nose, so would be unmistakeable. Lovely women, proper landlady.
  • Options
    First legal one was in the Rose and Crown in Plumstead High Street in '73...
  • Options
    Thanks Curb_it. Follwed the link. sounds as though its changed a lot.............progress not always!!!..........I'll pop in there next time I'm down see for myself
  • Options
    Royal Oak at the standard....full of old people in those days, but then i was 16 in 68, then the royal standard which used to have 'booths' with phones to ring up the dj's , my local was the valley run by Hobbs, because I lived in Springfield,I do remember drinking larger, which i used to get considerable stick about...... when all my mates were drinking light and Keg, or bitter, and larger was a 'girls' drink, and with my long hair, art school hippy, artyfarty ways...... I suppose it was fair comment for the times. Used to be some cracking woman at the Fox under the hill...
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think it was The Three Kings in Fornham All Saints, near Bury St Edmunds at 15. When to Hen Grave Hall for the weekend with school. Me and another lad walk the mile to the pub had a couple of beers each and returned to the waiting pack with carry outs.On the return to the hall,we saw the one of the school's mini bus coming towards us, so we throw the bottle into the bushes. The bus stopped and our teachers asks us what we were doing to which we replied that we were taking a walk and off they go to the same pub. Spent five minutes looking for all the bottles, never seen some many boys and girls get pissed so quick. Someone had the great idea to throw the empty bottles into the boating lake, only for our teachers to find bottles bobbing around in the water the next morning. I think the teachers put 2 & 2 together.
  • Options
    The (old) olde Black Horse halfway street sidcup
    Went in and asked for a pint of light and bitter to be told it only comes in pints mate.
    Frank the fat White duke we called him was the landlord about 1974.
    Had some good times in there. My mate and I nearly got involved in a fight with these other 2 blokes one night it was absolutely nothing to do with me but found myself opposite a bloke who was built like a brick shit house whilst my mate's opponent looked like Woody Allen! Luckily the bloke opposite me did not want to get involved but I learned after that to always make sure you went for the small one ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Be careful there 3blokes. I'm reliably informed its the little fella you need to watch! Woody allen sounds game
  • Options
    Coopers Arms,Woolwich
  • Options
    Cuff all I can remember thinking is hold on the "problem" is between my mate and woody and I'm facing his enormous effing pal! To be fair the big lad looked like he was pretty fed up with his mate who was making something out of nothing really. So when I said to him, trying not to squeak " we're all right aren't we?" it was a relief to see he didn't want to get in a scrap. I wouldn't have come out of it at all well :-)
    And apart from near fisticuffs at a garage once since then I have generally managed to avoid getting into situations that involve either party throwing punches.
    And that includes 2 marriages ;-)
  • Options
    northstandsteve

By: nigel w
    The Bull in St Paul's Cray, circa 1968...
    , nigel i live right by the bull and still go in there now,how comes you drank in there were you real close to it as in them days there were a load of pubs in the cray.

Did you know Carl when he used to run it. Used to work for him in the 5 bells in Chelsfield?

His dad was charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bump for Thai
  • Options
    I recall that at 15, I managed to get into our School's Cricket 1st XI. I
    was told by the captain that this would require me to drink a beer or
    two after the game. I was not nervous about playing in the 1st XI with
    players three years older than me, but I was worried about the beer
    afterwards. My father had shrewdly offered me all the Forest Brown I
    could drink as (I think) a way of putting me off beer. The stuff was
    undrinkable.

For my first beer, I decided to travel from Charlton
    to a pub in Woolwich for half (yes, half) of bitter. I have no idea why
    I picked Woolwich. I think the pub was called The Star and I think it
    was on the corner of John Wilson Street and Wellington Street (other may
    know for sure). I am pretty sure the pub is long gone. The half seemed
    far more drinkable than the Forest Brown. I never looked back. And, yes,
    we won at cricket and I managed two pints after the game before
    staggering home.
  • Options
    Man of Kent, Eltham. (approx 1986). Probably looked 10 years old so sent my tallest mate to the bar.
  • Options
    Was at my dads work club, BICC in Slade Green, I think? He got me half a Lager, was about 9 or 10, remember feeling like I was in the inner sanctum! Was the day before he took me to the football- guess which team?
    Was only about a year later the valley closed and they moved to sellhurst.
    My local later was the plough, Northend road, Erith.though still under age!
  • Options
    This is hard. Not because it was a long time ago (I'm 23) but simply because my memory is poor. And I have been in a few pubs since then... 
    It is either Yates's in Lewisham (lunch during 1st year of sixth form) or Greenwich Wetherspoons as they used to be very lax on ID. Either way I would've been about 16 and the drink would've been something horrible, like XXXX. 
  • Options
    I reckon mine was the Ivy Leaf in Dartford, post play-off final.  Helped that my mum used to work in there.
  • Options
    A JC and bitter in Kings Arms, Ealing in 1972 cost 14p
  • Options
    Scout camp in Stoke aged 14 - i stood outside the pub and mates went in and bought 2 rounds...I was hammered!
  • Options
    Fox under the hill / hungry horse shooters hill when I was 16