Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob Curtis - Your Memories of Bob (RIP)

edited January 2010 in General Charlton
Not sure of this has been covered elsewhere but was saddened to read of Bob's plight in today's programme.

Bob Curtis was a key player in the team that I grew up watching and was, in fairness, a player that could comfortably have performed at a higher level. Now suffering from motor neurone disease, it is clear that he is looking back at his career with Charlton with fondness and pride.

Best wishes to Bob and his family.

Comments

• Options
    Totally agree.
    A great servant to Charlton & an abiding memory for one who started watching Charlton when he was in his pomp.
  • Options
    Bob Curtis was my first charlton hero one of my personal all time favourites
    Sad news to hear.
  • Options
    Bob was a terrific right back; and had a few decent games at right midfield too.
    Remember him once scoring from a free kick only just inside the oppo half.
    Solid, reliable; remember him with great affection.
    By the end it seemed like he'd been our RB forever.

Good luck Bob, and thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    Another one of my boyhood heroes. All the best to Bob and family and thank you for the memories
  • Options
    Very sad to hear this. He and Ray Tracey were my first Charlton heroes. Who could ever forget the blonde hair, bandy legs and 30 yard cross field passes. It filled me with great pride when he took the time to have a long chat with my dad at the training ground. Hope he manages to keep his illness at bay for a long time.
  • Options
    Very sad to read this. He succeeded Billy Bonds who was a real favourite and became as much or more of a favourite in his own right.

The programme says ...."if any supporters dohave recollections of him, then he would love to hear from them."...."Any correspondence for Curtis should be sent to Craig Curtis, 328 Jellicoe Street,Langwith, Nottinghamshire NG20 9HG
  • Options
    Thanks Len. A get well card shall be winging it's way to Nottingham shortly.
  • Options
    Same here Queensland he was one of my favorite players and I will be sending a card to.
  • Options
    very sad.

Could we collect as many memories and Good wishes as possible on this thread and pass it on.

There are also some DVDs of old game featuring bob which he might enjoy

Best wishes bob, one of my childhood heroes
  • Options
    Also one of my first favorite players along with Ray Treacy and Harry Gregory, I remember buying a mag and it featured Bob and said a possible England right back for the future, thanks for the memories Bob .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember watching Bob from The Covered End, loved his no nonsense style. Thanks for the memories Bob.

An old "Covered Ender"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Another one of my boyhood heroes. All the best to Bob and family and thank you for the memories

Hear hear. Great man, could have played at the highest level in my opinion. Sad to read of his plight and wish him all the very best.
  • Options
    Nothing but good memories of Bob. Billy Bonds was a hard act to follow, but Bob did it with flying colours for many seasons. Played in that never say die attitude of,say, a Stevie Brown or a Robbo. Remember the "nearly" season of 68/9 when the team was full of great players. Matt Tees, Graham Moore, Paul Went, Ray Treacy, Peter Reeves and many, many more. All the very best Bob
  • Options
    Great right back. Charlton through and through and a one club player too, I think. Loved him!
  • Options
    Oh what a shock....yes one of my boyhood heroes...good solid player was Bob...had quite a shot on him too if I remember.
    Good luck fella.
  • Options
    Can this be a sticky please, Admin
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can this be a sticky please, Admin

Oh I thought you were Admin Henry.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Really sad to hear this. My poor mum also had the misfortune to suffer from this disease so I know a little bit of what Bob and his family must be going through.

I can honestly say that the match days during the era when Bob & co were playing were some of the best I can remember as a Charlton fan. None of this fancy dan, spoilt brat, overpaid stuff we are served up these days. Just good honest playing for the shirt.

Very best wishes to Bob and keep positive. A true Charlton great.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can this be a sticky please, Admin

Oh I thought you were Admin Henry.

AFKA will be spitting his coffee over the keyboard when he reads that : - )

Ha ha
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bob Curtis,Ray Tracey,Matt Tees,what a team and what a good RB Bob was,loved watching him play as a young lad.
    Echo what everyone else has said really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Another one of my boyhood heroes. All the best to Bob and family and thank you for the memories

I too will send a card. One of my early heroes and in my time still one of the best penalty takers we have ever had.
  • Options
    Believe I've mentioned before about Bob buying me a pint on the way to Scunthorpe in '73 where he scored one of his many immaculate penalties. A really nice bloke whose skill and attitude should have taken him further in the game and but for injuries, surely would have. Good luck Bob, one of the true Charlton heroes!
  • Options
    Legend - best wishes
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bobby Curtis definitely enjoyed a pint or two after the match. How he managed to get up to the British Oak in Blackheath within half-an-hour of the final whistle has always remained a mystery to me.
  • Options
    In the old days when the programme showed the actual team for the match, Bob was one of the first names I always looked for in the team. My thanks to him for his committment to the cause and my best wishes to Bob and his family during this difficult time.
  • Options
    Got hit by the ball on the side of the face once during the warm up, knocked me flying and he jumped over the wall to see if I was alright...

True Legend...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The great man.
  • Options
    As a kid used to sit in the West Stand with my Dad - one half it would be Bob Curtis and the other Phil Warman playing in front of us. Both very different full backs but both equally as committed to the cause.

A few of the "takers" we've had turning out for us in the last few years could learn a thing or two from those two legends.

Best wishes Bob and thanks for all you've done for the Club.
  • Options
    Good luck Bob, proper Charlton.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Always remember him in his first season as a 17 year old replacing Billy Bonds ...... we were home to Derby County, and somehow he put through his own goal.

Straight from the kick off, the ball was passed to him wide and he went on an almighty surging solo run which finished with him crashing a thundering shot against the Derby crossbar.