Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob Curtis - Your Memories of Bob (RIP)

Comments

• Options
    Mark,

Thanks for the update.

Another supporter, who doesn't use this site, has a DVD of your dad playing for Charlton v Hull at the Valley in 1968. It was recorded from Swedish TV and has Kenneth Wolsenholme commentating. I think it lasts about 60 minutes.

We had already both had the idea of making a copy and sending to you. I will chase him up so we can get a copy to you ASAP.

Best wishes again to your dad and also to all of you who are taking the time to look after him. It must be a very difficult time for you.
  • Options
    Henry, that would be awesome, just let me know the cost. Received some mega letters, cards, cartoons and extracts from in progress book. I've just read them out to my dad and its great recalling special times. Charlton fans are the best without doubt in fact no wonder my dad and mum loved it so much! Will write personally to thank all!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mark Curtis[/cite]Henry, that would be awesome, just let me know the cost. Received some mega letters, cards, cartoons and extracts from in progress book. I've just read them out to my dad and its great recalling special times. Charlton fans are the best without doubt in fact no wonder my dad and mum loved it so much! Will write personally to thank all!

No cost, our privilege.
  • Options
    So sad to hear Bob has been blighted with this awful disease - he was an excellent player for Charlton and a very nice guy as well - following Billy Bonds was a very hard act to follow and he managed it too!

I used to drink and play darts with Bob in the British Oak and as others have said he had an amazing knack of getting in there so soon after a game. For some reason I particularly remember a game at Layer Road where we were awful, I think Colchester were three up at halftime; we left straight after the game and drove back to the Oak to find Bob, who had played, at the bar with a pint in his hand and his hair still wet! He never did tell us his secret!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Another supporter, who doesn't use this site, has a DVD of your dad playing for Charlton v Hull at the Valley in 1968. It was recorded from Swedish TV and has Kenneth Wolsenholme commentating. I think it lasts about 60 minutes.

That was the 1-1 draw (if memory is right) about November 1968.

It was also shown on BBC Match of the Day, that night. I remember the cameras and commentator used to be perched on a windswept ramshackle scaffold halfway up the vast East Terrace, on the halfway line.

In those days, we used to feature once a year on BBC, and once a year on ITV with Brian Moore commentating.
    That was our lot.

ITV "The Big Match" showed us in January 1969, when we beat Brian Clough's Derby County 2-0 who were running away with the title. Ray Treacy scored an absolute belter in front of the Covered End.
  • Options
    Don't look now but...

The Sunderland team arrived late, the splendid Lego Boys Band from Denmark had diarrohea, there was a cloudburst over the pitch in the afternoon, continuous thrilling end-to-end football from both sides, a thrice-taken penalty-the finest own goal of the season anywhere, and a 35 yard thunderbolt from Bobby Curtis to round off the match. Apart from that nothing much happened...

Taken from the match day pogramme versus Bristol City, Saturday 30th October 1971...

I remember standing in the Covered End as Bob hit that unstoppable shot, almost took the roof of the net off...

It ended 2-2 and was a really great midweek game...
  • Options
    Not been around for a few weeks so missed this thread.

Great memories of Bobby Curtis and often used to see him in the British Oak in Old Dover Road when my aunt worked there.

All the best Bob.
  • Options
    Bob Curtis was the best CAFC right back ever. Started supporting Charlton in 67-68 season and Bob was my favourite player . Great player should have played for England without a doubt.

So sorry to hear what is he is going through, have sent my personal memories of the great goals he scored not just the penalties but the 25 - 35 yard screamers against Sunderland for one.

If we had players that were true club palyers like Bob was now, we would be top of the league .

Thinking of you Bob and your family - take care.

LIn
  • Options
    Just heard that Bob passed away last night. RIP, Bob.
  • Options
    That is really sad news. RIP Bob.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I am devasted. My first Charlton hero. R.I.P Bob and thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    RIP Bob. Gutted. Hope the team put in a performance for him today.
  • Options
    If anyone at the club is reading could we get the mibutes applause going today? Real sickner this one. RIP.
  • Options
    very sad news.

Mark, our thoughts go out to you and your family.
  • Options
    Ohhh that's awful news, RIP Bob, you were a great bloke
  • Options
    R.I.P. Bob.

A real Charlton Legend.

My thoughts are with your family.

Ray.
  • Options
    Swashbuckling style. 110% commitment. A name that is synonymous with my early Charlton supporting days. RIP Bob.
  • Options
    Loved by every Charlton fan of that era, he was incapable of ever giving less than 100%. Just saw this as I'm leaving for the Valley, hope there's a minutes applause today, if ever a player deserved it was Bob. RIP big man.
  • Options
    RIP

A true Charlton legend
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    very sad great player RIP Bob
  • Options
    Oh no, how very very sad...RIP Bob RIP.
    Mark, my thoughts go out to you, the family and indeed all who knew and loved Bob.

It's very short notice but I hope the club can do something today in recognition of Bob.
  • Options
    Not many obituries bring a tear to my eye but this one did.

R.I.P. Bobby, you are a hero to us
  • Options
    when I saw this thread with so many new posts I feared the worse.

One of my first team and a great player for us.

Very very sad. I just hope these memories reached him before he went and that they give some small comfort to Bobs family
  • Options
    So sorry to hear the news ....... my thoughts go out to Mark and the family.
  • Options
    Oh my god.....just logged in for the game and seen this....a very sad day for all addick fans and terrible news for Bob's family. Mark please accept my condolonces and my thoughts are with you and your family.
    RIP Bob you were one of the Charlton greats.
  • Options
    How sad. My favourite team will always be the 68/69 team that went so close to promotion. Bobby Curtis was a magnificent full back and a True Charlton Legend.

Just imagine if we had a Bobby Curtis today. If Only ! ! ! RIP Bobby Curtis
  • Options
    RIP Bob
  • Options
    My thoughts are with you and your family Mark.

My lasting memories of Bob apart from his wicked sideburns will be his penalty kicks. I can picture him now running into the box and wrapping his right foot around the ball and placing it firmly into the top right-hand corner of the net, unreachable for any goalkeeper. Alongside Mark Reid, Bob was without any doubt the best penalty taker I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.

We lost a Charlton legend last night but keep taking those penalties Bob no one will save them upstairs. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Bob. Let's hope football returns to players like you.