Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob Curtis - Your Memories of Bob (RIP)

Comments

• Options
    Remember when Theo Foley was manager, we were hopelessly bottom of the 2nd Division in March and home to Middlesbrough.

Bobby Curtis started a game for the first time at right CM ..... and he completely ran the game, driving Charlton on to an unexpected 1-0 victory.

Against all the odds, a Curtis inspired Charlton somehow escaped seemingly certain relegation that season.
  • Options
    As a young lad I remember the disapproval of Charlton fans at the Clubs sale of Billy Bonds to Wedt Ham. I was talking to a fellow Charlton supporter and school friend about it and his opinion was

"Well, Charlton wouldn't have sold Bonds if they didn't have someone to replace him, Curtis is as good as Bonds"

Schoolboy nievety perhaps but in the end I think his claim turned out to be pretty much spot on. Bob Curtis became one of our Charlon heroes of those days.

It's sad to hear of Bob's current situation. I'd just like to wish him all the best and to say thany you for all the memories from my early addick supporting years which now fill my later life.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And as a 17 year old in 1967 v Carlisle ?, his shot which looped into the net from all of 60 yards.

Best of luck, Bob ......one of my early heroes!
  • Options
    A 'proper footballer' , who did his bit for the club and got on with it......

Modern day footballers could learn a lot from players like Bob, and his commmitment to the game and Charlton.
    Glad to read that he is held in high regard by fans.
  • Options
    An excellent penalty taker as well. I have a feeling he was our record penalty scorer either overall or the most in a season.

Seem to remember he scored a pen against Bristol Rovers on New Years Day in about 1974, when we were mid table and they were top of Division 3. Att 11,000 which was our biggest of the season by far. This is all from memory so could be wrong.

Mark Reid possibly overtook his record, about 10 odd years later ?
  • Options
    In the back of "Back to The Valley" you'll see he is my favourite player. Not only scored penlties but a few 20 / 30 yarders
  • Options
    Bobby Curtis, one of the legends I grew up admiring. Great full back that always gave 100% and a very long serving Charlton player. Good luck to you Sir.
  • Options
    scored some screamers as well. Hero to many of my age.
  • Options
    top player,top top bloke.
  • Options
    My first-ever favourite player. Loved his penalties - apart from the one and only one he missed v Preston in the last game of the season in 1975 when we needed to win to get promoted. But we did still win so that was forgotten!

Was saddened to read about his illness in the prog yesterday. Hope he gets to read this thread and that it give him a few reasons to smile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How sad to hear this. Bob Curtis was one of my favourite players along with Phil Warman during that era. Used to stand on the East Terrace with my old man and watch him and his tenacity and dedication he showed to playing for the addicks. He was the down-to-earth player and he had bags of skill. He was an excellent Billy Bonds replacement and never let the side down...........if only ALL our players now had his determination!!! If I remember rightly he ended up playing for Mansfield..or is my memory playing tricks again?
    Good luck to you Bob, thank you for making my Saturday afternoons something to look forward to and talk about for days afterwards.
    Take care and all best wishes for the future
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bobby Curtis did like his after match pint - remember meeting him straight after a match in a Blackheath pub, he was there already before me and my mates got there!

Same on a Sunday lunchtime, he'd always give you a couple of minutes chat.

Also remember chatting to him at Dean Court, Bournemouth and Eastville, Bristol Rovers before the match when Theo had got him to hand out a few complimentary tickets.

One of the games was his birthday, so he said - 25th January.
    Don't ask me how I remember the date, lol
  • Options
    When I started playing football as a kid I began as a right-back and changed to being a goalkeeper (less than average ability in both positions unfortunately). No great surprise that my two favourite players of the time were Bob Curtis and Charlie Wright. Many thanks for the memories Bob. Sorry to hear of your illness.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can only echo the sentiments made by others re my memories of Bob.
    We were all worried when Bonzo left us for the Hammers....but along came the very young Bob Curtis and slotted in as if he'd been playing there for ever.
    A no nonsense pro from the old school....took and gave as good as he got (could be hard as nails when he had to be but was never thought of as a dirty player)...scored a few too considering he was a fullback....could certainly strike a ball that's for sure and tucked away many a crucial penalty.
    Rest easy knowing that you gave a lot of folk a lot of pleasure Bob, they were kinder happier days in the world of football.....yes, had you have been around these days you'd have earned a lot more money....but that's not everything is it as I'm sure you'll agree.
    You played with and against some great players Bob and met some very facinating individuals whilst doing something you simply loved doing.
    At the end of the day you 'walked the walk and talked the talk', there are countless millions of us guy's from the terraces up and down the country who'd have loved to have swaped places with you for just one game as a pro playing for the club they love, you can certainly count me amongst them.
    I for one admire you and salute you for having done so.
    UP THE ADDICKS!!
  • Options
    Well said SoundAs. Night games (especially) at the Valley in the early seventies were wonderful occasions. The old stadium always seemed fuller and the atmosphere terrific (remember the guy(s) selling peanuts?). Wouldn't of swapped Bob Curtis & Phil Warman for any other full backs in any other division. They were the best and we've had some good one's but nothing like those two.

Happy days.
  • Options
    Bob Curtis a player ahead of his time,bottle blond and hard.Always pleased to sign photos and speak to the young fans waiting outside the west stand.Still have signed photo of Bob on my wall at home now.Played football when it really was football.Sorry to hear about your illness.Thanks for the HAPPY DAYS AT THE VALLEY.
    All the best to you and your family.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i too am sorry to hear about Bob's illness, and just want to add my name to all the dedications above.

What I remember is that the young Bob Curtis seemed to be a more "classy" player than Billy Bonds. I seem to remember that one game in the successful 68 team, he coolly nutmegged somebody just outside our own penalty box. Then there was the blond hair thing, it brought a touch of Swinging London glamour that we didnt have so much of before then. Childhood hero for me. All the very best Bob.
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear about this illness. Bob was one of the Charlton greats and very approachable at my local pub. As Oggy Red said I never understood how he managed to get to the pub before me after a game. A decent darts player too! But Bob made some storming performances at right back and was one of all too few that can claim to have given their all. A tough right back, but also very good at going forward and getting down the right wing. And, unlike most wingers, he could cross a ball too.
  • Options
    The young Bob was right back when I first went to The Valley. He was the favourite player of the guy that used to take me to the games as a kid. Of course, it was the likes of Harry Gregory, Ray Treacy and Matt Tees that caught the eye of the youngsters at that time but the more I went, the more I appreciated the other players, especially Bob Curtis.

A great servant to Charlton. Sad to read of the illness. Best wishes from Thailand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Hi all, i am Bob's oldest son Mark and behalf of all my family i firstly want to thank you all for the overwhelming messages of support as they mean so very very much at this time. Currently my dad is in hospital after suffering a respiritory arrest and we are hopeful he will be home by the end of the week. The Motor Nueron Disease is in quite advanced stages now but as mentioned in the CAFC Programme he is in a happy state of mind. He will really love to read the cards and i will also print out all these kind words.

My dad will be house bound now and if there is any one out there that has any TV footage of him in action please let me know as i would love to put it on for us all to watch him in action.

Finally my dad did move to Mansfield at the end of his career but never wanted to leave Charlton. Charlton was his team and the only team he ever wanted to play for. It was a buzz to be at the Valley in them days...when the Red Red Robin really did go bobbing along!!!!

Mark
  • Options
    Nice one Mark....all the best from me and I'm sure all Addicks everywhere.
  • Options
    Great words, Mark, from a very proud son. My uncle Danny used to own a newsagents just off Bostall Heath in Welling and told me that Bob used to go in and buy those war comics that cost a shilling each! (5p in todays money). Many happy memories of your dad and his 100% commitment to the cause. They broke the mould when they made your dad.
  • Options
    Good to hear from you, Mark.

As you can see, your Dad was a bit of a legend round these parts - and we still hold him in high regard.
    Did you ever see him play when you were a kid?
  • Options
    Hi Oggy,

I most definitely did see him play. Used to watch home and away. Always remember when we beat Chelsea at home in the cup and their fans took the kop and also smashed up the social club :-( Also Fulham away with Besty playing..snowed that day too!

Phil Warman and Colin Powell were my fav players apart from my dad naturally.

Also had the pleasure of running out as the mascot for my dad's testimonial.
  • Options
    Good stories, Mark ...... as a kid, how old were you for those matches?
    And do you have any old schoolmates down here who you still keep in touch with?

Got any funny Charlton stories that your Dad told you or you saw yourself, or involving other players barmy moments?
  • Options
    Mark this thread might interest your Dad especially given his "team mates" many of whom he would have played hundreds of games with:

Where Have All The Characters Gone?
  • Options
    Mark,
    If there was any way of managing to get your Dad down to the Valley again, I'm sure there are many fan's, club officials, former players etc who would love to show him their appreciation and support. Just a thought, it may give him a big lift.
    Thinking of your family during this very tough time.
  • Options
    All down the valley on a Saturday just to see our Bobby Curtis play
    Bobby Curtis,.... La La Bobby Curtis

To the tune of Lola

Bob Curtis, covered end legend
  • Options
    Oggy has mentioned it, but my recollection of Bob's 60-yard goal is different. Haven't looked up the detail, but I'm almost certain that it came from a free-kick just inside our half and close to the right touchline.

Bob lofted the ball towards the Covered End where it bounced just inside the Middlesbrough penalty area. It then seemed to pick up pace and go over the head of Willie Whigham into the Boro goal. A 2-2 draw was the final result, I think.

Bob was a marvellous cavalier of a full back, with a rasping shot and a deadly penalty kick. The blond hair period and that legendary spell in midfield made him part of Charlton folk lore for ever.

He was the Steve Brown and John Robinson of the 1960's. We loved him dearly.