Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob Curtis - Your Memories of Bob (RIP)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]RIP Bob Curtis, will always be remembered. Wright, Curtis, Kinsey ............. my first Charlton team and some great moments as a young lad stood at the front on the west terrace during my early days as an addick. Pity those left wingers playing against God's XI.

Bob was a young player when I started watching him, standing on the fence at the bottom of the East. To me and my mates he was just brilliant.

His quality was clear to all and his versatility was demonstrated by moving from full back into the centre and then into midfield. I am finding it hard to believe that he's gone so full of energy and vitality was he throughout his career.

Deepest sympathy to Mark and family.
  • Options
    Thank you for a great post Mark. All the very best to you and your family in the future. As you know by now your Dad will never, ever be forgotton down SE7 way.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Bob
  • Options
    More guts, spirit and determination than all the curent squad put together...

RIP Bob Curtis...
  • Options
    RIP Bob......Legend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]More guts, spirit and determination than all the curent squad put together...

RIP Bob Curtis...

Second that.

Great memories of a fine Charlton legend.

RIP Bob.
  • Options
    Rest in peace Bob Curtis, probably the best right back to play for us
    in my life time. Condolescences to his family at this difficult time.
  • Options
    Been away and only just caught up with this sad news.

RIP Bob and thanks for everything. As mentioned on an earlier post Bob's Charlton era was the time I enjoyed supporting Charlton the most. Great times and 100% commitment from the players.
  • Options
    RIP Bob

One of my first heroes and a Charlton legend.

My thoughts are with your family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was so, so sad to hear of Bob's death. He was in the team when I first started going regularly in the 68/69 season and he was an absolute legend. RIP mate and condolences to Mark and to the rest of his family. Puts everything else in context hearing this shockingly sad news!!
  • Options
    Bob Curtis was always there in the late sixties and the seventies, a great servant and one of my favourite all time players. Even as an 11 year old, the 68/69 season stills remains my favourite season and Bob was a big part of that. Cheers for everything Bob.
  • Options
    So sad - way, way too young.
    RIP Bob and thank you so much for the memories.
  • Options
    Terribly sad. RIP, Bob.
    Wishing Mark and all of the Curtis family and close friends much strength. We did our little bit to share our memories, and glad to hear that it helped at such a difficult time. Bob will never be forgotten as long as we hold such fond memories of him.
  • Options
    One of my first heros as a lad at the Valley and I never doubted the outcome when he placed the ball on the penalty spot.

Thinking of Mark and the rest of the family during this sad & difficult time

RIP Bob
  • Options
    a great player for us and a really nice bloke RIP
  • Options
    I was born in the same village that Bob came from namely Langwith. My earliest memories of Bob was seeing his picture appearing during World Of Sport when he had scored for Charlton and i vaguely recall him having a beard. I had the pleasure of playing under Bob when he ran the Long Willows F.C. with Murray Briggs a team based in langwith, we shared many great days in particular securing a league and cup double one particular season. Even at that time i was in awe of how Bob would ping the ball about with his right foot during training sessions. I also had the pleasure of sharing a football pitch with Bobs brother Craig who enjoyed scrapping with his fellow centre half, his sons Mark a gifted midfielder, Craig a forward with searing pace and power and Rob who had a left peg to die for. In summing up i can honestly say i wasn't truly aware of the high esteem that Bob was held in by people both associated with and supporters of Charlton Athletic. Indeed Theo Foley spoke very highly of Bob at his service which was attended by a generous party of Bobs old comrades and associates from the club. I have had my eyes opened by the comments and share the sentiments. RIP BOB THE PENALTY KING.
    TOSH
  • Options
    Ah, dear old Theo went along to Bob's funeral service....would not have expected anything less from the man.
    To those of you players, staff or fans who attended, may I say how grand of you to have done so, a fitting tribute to Bob from all Addicks everywhere.
    I'm sure that for once I can safely say I speak for 'all' on CL in thanking you all......if that's the right word that is but I think you know what I/we mean.
    Stu.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your memories Tosh. It makes me very proud to hear that Theo and other club representatives made the journey up to Notts to bid farewell to Bob. I can't think of a more universally popular player ever to wear the Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Just had to bump this so Kevin could read the tributes which have been made to an old school friend of his.Will post something else this saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Sad news. When we sold Billy Bonds to West Ham I was really pissed off. My mate at the time said Bob Curtis will be better. Bob definitely became a Charlton hero for me.

RIP (belatedly)
  • Options
    I walked into a pub the other week, which I hadn't been into for about 6 months. Manuel behind the bar greeted me with a Charlton football-programme. This bar you see, is a bar I go to when I am on holiday. This was left to me by Kevin and Vannesa from Sheffield, who I had met last year. They thought it might have been of interest to me. The programme had an article about Bob Curtis, who used to go to school with Kevin. Kevin gave me a few stories which I will pass on to you. When Bob Curtis first joined Charlton as a schoolboy he used to travel back to his village and meet up with his old school friends. Of course they would always have time to have a kick about together. Kevin said that even back then, he could kick a ball from 1 side of the pitch to another, with spot on accuracy. The size of his thighs put the other kids to shame. It was clear to everybody that knew his, that he would make it into the professional game. Bob's father was one of the original Bevin Boys; men that worked in the pits during the 2nd World War, keeping the industry turning over. During the last 2 months of this year the Bevin Boys have been recognized for their achievements during World War II. Kevin had spoken with Mark, Bob's brother, who gave Kevin the programme for me. I do have photographs of Bob Curtis hanging on the wall at home. Over the next few days I will try to post a photo through this site. To Keving, Vanessa and Mark: thanks very much for the programme and the stories.
  • Options
    Bob was a swashbuckling player and was a real Charlton hero from my time as a kid. Nice story Lewis Coaches. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    I never appreciated at the time just how young Bob was when he replaced Billy Bonds who was hardly a veteran himself!

RIP to a great servant of our beloved Club.
  • Options
    One of the players I remember the most.as started supporting just before Billy Bonds left.My late father used to say as one door closes another opens.Bob Curtis was proof of that......RIP