Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barcelona...a footballing masterclass

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal should sign more Englishmen. As soon as they put one on the pitch they got a goal. ;-)
  • Options
    you got to laugh!
  • Options
    this thread is comedy
  • Options
    I wonder if Wenger will be moaning again about a team being physical against a team with superior skill?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Majority of the team is still Spanish, looking at the players available for the Spanish national team really is jaw dropping, especially when you think players like Fabregas are 5 or 6 down the pecking order in his position. The World Cup is theres to lose. I couldn't think of anyone from the England team that would start in the Spanish team.

Really? Ashley Cole, Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard all would.
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Arsenal could do a lot worse than sign scott parker.

Never replaced vieira and i think hed fit in well

I think exactly the same every time I watch them. Viera and Parlour have been a big loss to them.
  • Options
    Ashley Cole would definitely start over Capdevilla.

Would Gerrard and Lampard, or either of them for that matter get into a midfield with Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Alonso in contention for the centre and David Silva, Juan Mata and Pablo Hernandez as wide options? Certainly not both I'd wager.

Rooney over Torres or Villa? I'm not sure, those three in my opinion are the best three centre forwards in the world, very very tough to pick two. It would be easy to ditch Villa for some, but look at his goals record for an often mediocre Valencia.
  • Options
    Gerrard and Lampard wouldn't get close to that midfield! Rooney is debatable with the options Spain have.

Ashley Cole you have a good point on, on although Sergio Ramos has played at left back for Spain before which would blow that out of the water as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Majority of the team is still Spanish, looking at the players available for the Spanish national team really is jaw dropping, especially when you think players like Fabregas are 5 or 6 down the pecking order in his position. The World Cup is theres to lose. I couldn't think of anyone from the England team that would start in the Spanish team.

Really? Ashley Cole, Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard all would.
    Behave.

Cole vs Capdevila - possibly. Cole is pants at defending, but better going forward. Capdevila's slower, but has much better positional sense, and isn't the same height as an oompa-loompa. I'll give you a draw on that one.
    Rooney vs Villa/Torres - impossible to call. If you're playing one up front, then I'd give it to Rooney. But, since he runs around like a blue-arsed fly and gets injured all the time as a result, is still an absolute liability as soon as things aren't going his way ('curbed his temper this year' my arse) and cannot play with anyone else up front alongside him, I'd say it's impossible to call between those three. Dead heat.
    Fat Frank & Gerrard vs Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas or Xabi Alonso - utterly laughable. I wouldn't (and nor would any sane person) pick either of them over any of that lot. If you're seriously suggesting that either of them is even close to being on a par with Xavi and Iniesta, you don't watch enough football.

In fact, the one place where the Spanish national team is weaker than the English team is at centre back. When fit, I'd take Ferdinand over whoever is playing alongside Marchena.
  • Options
    So, er, what was the score at the end of this footballing masterclass then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]So, er, what was the score at the end of this footballing masterclass then?

Barcelona 4 Stutgart 0. Read the date of the original post smart arse ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cole is the best left back in the world. I would say Gerrard is more of a complete player than Xavi, ditto Rooney/Villa. We under appreciate how good our players are in this country.
  • Options
    Gerrard may be a better jack of all trades than Xavi but he is not a better centre midfielder. Apart from Iniesta, there is surely not a better centre midfielder in world football and probably won't be for the next five years.

Rooney has had an outstanding season, but for now that is what it is. He needs to come back to the table and bring two or three brilliant seasons back to back.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Cole is the best left back in the world. I would say Gerrard is more of a complete player than Xavi, ditto Rooney/Villa. We under appreciate how good our players are in this country.

Id say the opposite and that we actually overate them and put extra uneccessary pressure on them in the big tournaments and the overexpectation ends i predictable disappointment and media vilification.

We also severely underestimate the opponents who arent splashed across the front and back pages of the red tops.

Dont suppose the average tournament fan (ie the post euro 96 mob who jump on the bandwagon) have heard of players like gourcouff, ribery and other such non-english household names for example yet gawp in bemusement when players like that run rings round gareth barry as they precede to dribble watered down fosters down their brand new replica tops in front of the big screen in some soulless o'neills with equally gormless clueless nitwits before uttering phrases like "That Barry's shit innit. Should have taken Walcott." and other equally insightful punditry.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Cole is the best left back in the world. I would say Gerrard is more of a complete player than Xavi, ditto Rooney/Villa. We under appreciate how good our players are in this country.
    No we don't. I think we over-estimate how good Lampard and Gerrard are. For proof of this, take a look at the last two times England have played Spain. Lost 1-0 at home (Xavi ruined Gerrard and Lampard in the first half, Iniesta came on in the second and they BOTH ruined Lampard), Lost 2-0 away (Gerrard didn't play but Fat Frank was utterly anonymous against the two of them). Neither of them have ever had a good game for England against a good team. That isn't coincidence. If they were truly world-class players at the Xavi & Iniesta level, they'd be able to raise their game for England when it counts. They can't.

Rooney is a different kettle of fish entirely. He's a beast of a player, and outrageously good, but an absolute enigma. Look at him in the first half against Egypt - he absolutely lost it for 30 seconds. Want him doing that in the pressure of a World Cup semi-final? Or would you rather have a player who is even more prolific than he is up front, and isn't prone to bouts of unrelenting stupidity. I know what I'd take every time.

And, once again, Cole is NOT the best left back in the world. He is the best attacking left back in the world. There is a world of difference. He cannot tackle worth shit, has the positional sense of a rhinoceros, and the aerial ability of Herve Villechaize.
  • Options
    great second para Rodders!
  • Options
    Gerrard and Lampard better than Spains midfield!!!! I nearly spat my Rioja all over the screen. I am not even sure that the pair of them should be in Englands midfield.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Gerrard and Lampard better than Spains midfield!!!! I nearly spat my Rioja all over the screen. I am not even sure that the pair of them should be in Englands midfield.
    Agreed. One of them with Barry would be a better bet - not because Barry's anything special, but because they can't play together in the same side, and at least either one of them looks better alongside Barry.
  • Options
    frrh.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]frrh.jpg
    Nice - but those were terrible odds. Surely you could have got better than that for 2-2 somewhere?!
  • Options
    I think i read somewhere in this thread that David Villa is better than Wayne Rooney. Have a day off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had £10 @ 33/1 on Barca winning 2-1 with Ibrohimovic (sp?) scoring 1st last night. Felt quite sick when Fabregas scored.

Makes me ill to say it but depsite them riding their luck 1st half, thought Ars*nal just about deserved the draw given how they played second half.

Highlight of the evening for me was Gallas going off on the stretcher, meaning that its highly likely Campbell will have to play at WHL on 14th April.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]I had £10 @ 33/1 on Barca winning 2-1 with Ibrohimovic (sp?) scoring 1st last night. Felt quite sick when Fabregas scored.

Makes me ill to say it but depsite them riding their luck 1st half, thought Ars*nal just about deserved the draw given how they played second half.

Highlight of the evening for me was Gallas going off on the stretcher, meaning that its highly likely Campbell will have to play at WHL on 14th April.

lol all of it :o)

On the game what a cracker and arsenal have half a chance now which they didnt have 55minutes into the match, i'd like to say as good as barca were in the first half arsenal were poor. annoyed me how much the commentators were drooling over them, yes they played well but anytime an arsenal player got the ball they looked nervous and gave the ball away. only players for arsenal first half was Song & Alumunia, others would argue Barca didn't give them time to keep the ball in the first 20 minutes which is true but still had arsenal been on the ball from the off they would not have looked soo good. i maybe the minority here?

I still do think that Barca are on a whole new level to Arsenal & most teams but think arsenal could pull of a shock over there, Barca will be without both their CB's, aresnal without there enforcer who tbh they was the first half but second half he stepped up to the plate, Gallas is probably a bigger miss so for them to have a chance he needs to be fit, again arshavin was in-effective but still if they are both fit for the return then i think Arsenal can do it
  • Options
    Abou Diaby was absolutely dreadful last night - worst I've seen him play for ages. Alex Song is clearly not a centre back, he was in poor positions for both of Ibrahimovic's goals. Walcott roasted Maxwell about 3 times and really changed the game. Would much rather see him on the right wing than Wright Phillips for England. As my mate said last night, if SWP even gets to go the airport to wave the players off he'll be too close to the plane for my liking.

Fabregas will obviously be a big loss in the return leg but having said that he was fairly anonymous last night. Besides Milito, who are Barce's other reserve centre backs?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Abou Diaby was absolutely dreadful last night - worst I've seen him play for ages. Alex Song is clearly not a centre back, he was in poor positions for both of Ibrahimovic's goals. Walcott roasted Maxwell about 3 times and really changed the game. Would much rather see him on the right wing than Wright Phillips for England. As my mate said last night, if SWP even gets to go the airport to wave the players off he'll be too close to the plane for my liking.

Fabregas will obviously be a big loss in the return leg but having said that he was fairly anonymous last night. Besides Milito, who are Barce's other reserve centre backs?

agree with SWP, but i think Milner should play there and Walcott would be better coming on personally. i think they would play abidal CB would they not? or has he moved on and Milito as you say still not bad but bet neither has played in a while! problem is no matter who their CB's are still not going to stop them going forward so will be a huge ask, also just thought Yaya toure can play CB wheres he at?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Abou Diaby was absolutely dreadful last night - worst I've seen him play for ages. Alex Song is clearly not a centre back, he was in poor positions for both of Ibrahimovic's goals. Walcott roasted Maxwell about 3 times and really changed the game. Would much rather see him on the right wing than Wright Phillips for England. As my mate said last night, if SWP even gets to go the airport to wave the players off he'll be too close to the plane for my liking.

agree with SWP, but i think Milner should play there and Walcott would be better coming on personally. i think they would play abidal CB would they not? or has he moved on and Milito as you say still not bad but bet neither has played in a while! problem is no matter who their CB's are still not going to stop them going forward so will be a huge ask, also just thought Yaya toure can play CB wheres he at?

Good shouts. I've no idea about the fitness about Abidal and Toure - thought they would've played last night if they'd have been fit? Thought Bendtner did pretty well last night given he had little support from the midfield besides Nasri. Could be a different story at the Nou Camp though.

I'd have Milner in the team but probably on the left. Get Gerrard behind Rooney and banish big Emile to the stands.
  • Options
    Messi, Iniesta, Henry, whoever, none of them make Barcelona tick quite like Xavi does.

Anyone who says Lampard or Gerrard are better than him are mad. The fella oozes class - skill, control, composure, intelligence, vision - he has the lot, exceptional player that a lot of people don't seem to really watch & understand.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]Messi, Iniesta, Henry, whoever, none of them make Barcelona tick quite like Xavi does.

Anyone who says Lampard or Gerrard are better than him are mad. The fella oozes class - skill, control, composure, intelligence, vision - he has the lot, exceptional player that a lot of people don't seem to really watch & understand.

I wholeheartedly agree but comparing Gerrard and Xavi/Iniesta/any centre midfielder is a bit unfair. I am one of Gerrard's biggest critics but his best position isn't as a centre midfielder.
  • Options
    Lucky gooner barstewards . Should have been 8 v 2. Then 2 seconds after the Barca fans have been left out the ground is swallowed up into an anglo saxon burial ground which it was built on taking all the gooners to an anglo saxon hell ----------------- english team ? my arse.
  • Options
    Where is Gerrards best position? In the boxing ring?

His best performances this season have been a cracking few punches on a DJ and a good elbow on a fellow player the other week!
  • Options
    A Superb game of football, too many games these days are negative or dull or lack real quality. This game was a privilige to watch perhaps one day Charlton will be involved in a game like that :-)