Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Fry and Nicky Forster Signed On Loan To End Of Season

Comments

• Options
    I understand your concerns Henry, but feel we can only congratulate the Board on this one. Time will tell if it's money well spent but they probably feel that meekly accepting staying down and blaming the untimely injuries would be almost as costly as if the gamble goes wrong. All three appear sensible rather than desperate, and who knows, might just give us that vital shot in the arm (or perhaps a few more in the net in Forster's case!).

On paper at least, Parky's done really well to plug the yawning gaps in one day, and I'd like to have seen someone like Forster earlier in the season. As I mentioned after the Brighton game, regardless of age, you could still see in that match that the man knows where the goal is. Some players just never quite learn that awareness. Good luck to all three - loans might not be ideal but as stated by many on here to Jolly, we have little choice for now.
  • Options
    seems like forster fell out of favour over brighton not offering him a longer contract, They have got some young pup from Plymouth

i reckon and hope we may have the better of this deal
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]I was simply blown away by your intellect. Or am I confused by how you comprehend that I was poking a bit of fun at myself?[/quote]

Well that saves the rest of us doing it.
  • Options
    Just noticed (probably already mentioned in here somewhere) Warner is on a short term contract not a loan so is not affected by the 5 player's only loan restrictions. Means Forster, Mooney, Reid, Borrowdale, Fry can all play if needed. When Sodje is fit i guess one of Mooney or Forster would be dropped. I am really pleased with Forster signing. Lets just hope Parkinson remembers he needs to be given the ball to score. So no more playing our left winger on the right and right winger on the left. Put Bailey back where he belongs (in the middle) and drop one of Semedo or Racon. Bring balance to the force :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Or am I confused by how you comprehend that I was poking a bit of fun at myself?

Well, you've confused me.

Still, let's just let it go.

Like it not they are Charlton players now. I hope that they, like anyone who pulls on a Charlton shirt, do well and get us some wins.
  • Options
    Much has already been said that I would agree with, but well done to Parky and the board. As Paddy says it's worth the gamble rather than most likely staying down and blaming injuries and a lack of money.

He's 36 but we wouldn't have got better than Forster at this level. He knows Parky well, which must have helped.

Matt Fry like everyone else I know nothing about him, I'd imagine they've watched him for Gillingham, West Ham reserves as well as our reserves (I think it said he played for us the other day?) so know he can handle this level. Good to see we're considering Premier League youngsters, not just back up Championship players. Cover for centre back and left back is ideal, and at 19 I doubt he'll be expecting to walk straight into the team. Hopefully he's good enough, on paper he gives us good cover but without the pressure of having to play him from the start.

Along with Warner this gives us good cover in all positions, as Large said Parky's rant has had the desired effect. Well done to the board for sorting out the money and Parky for hopefully finding a goalscorer, and as a bonus, a versatile defender. If Burton and Akpo can get fit we'll have some decent options up front.

As for playing the options we already have, Fleetwood has scored twice all season and can't get in Exeter's team, Dickson didn't impress here or at Bristol Rovers, and McLeod got his chance, scored a few but the rest of his game is poor. The young players shouldn't be thrown in until they are ready, Pardew with Wagstaff a good example of what can happen. Our loan signings have been sensible and are all to replace injured players or fill in gaps in the squad. A fair few of them could also be here next season, they could be playing for contracts.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Forster is an honest player and I'm sure he'll raise others game
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Now hes signed 4 players in a week, Parkinson has no get outs if they continue to be pisspoor and will have to take responsibility.

Forster was a Charlton type signing but about 15 years ago!!

But we are bloody desperate and anyone but Akpo Eusebio.....
  • Options
    Can't we just ban posters like JollyRobin whose sole aim in life seems to be to moan about Parky!! Or let them have their own thread where they can all moan to their heart's content but where I don't have to read them. Some of this guy's comments are just unbelievable. Does he actually know how many players we have on the treatment table at the moment?

As far as I'm concerned today has seen 3 good signings and well done to Parky & the board.
  • Options
    Good business all round tbh

Forster knows this level of football and is a regular scorer. Potential for next season in a player/coach role maybe??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interestingly his Wikipedia says he's only 5'9"

I always thought of him as a big unit
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Potential for next season in a player/coach role maybe??
    Well he's known Parky for a long time now, wouldn't surprise me. But then we thought the same about Murty this time last year.

I guess that means he'll end up at Southampton.
  • Options
    A Brighton fan has just told me "Forster has still very much got it. Should do well for you."
  • Options
    Super.... super.... nick..... super niky forster.....

Odds on a hatrick at wembley?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]Can't we just ban posters like JollyRobin

I think Jolly Robin has said some dumb things on here today, but ban him? What is this, some totalitarian state where you silence people who don't have the same view as you? Maybe the Red in your name comes from Stalin's USSR ;-)
  • Options
    Forster is a great signing, especially in the play offs where half chances will need to be taken
  • Options
    Good on the board for finding the money, they are having a real good go.
  • Options
    Am really pleased about this, have a real feeling of optimism tonight. Could really give us that extra boost especially if Burton needs a little longer to get back to fitness.

However I did feel similar when we signed Leroy Lita, then again that was Pardew!
  • Options
    Obviously there will be comparisons with Pardew's antics in the loan market but the way I see it Parkinson is more used to lower leagues and has more experience of the loan market. When Pardew brought in a loan it was often 'who the hell is that?' whereas Parkinson has gone for areas we all agree need strengthening and two of the three new additions are experienced and proven players as opposed to Pardew's 'unpolished gems'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thenewbie[/cite]Obviously there will be comparisons with Pardew's antics in the loan market but the way I see it Parkinson is more used to lower leagues and has more experience of the loan market. When Pardew brought in a loan it was often 'who the hell is that?' whereas Parkinson has gone for areas we all agree need strengthening and two of the three new additions are experienced and proven players as opposed to Pardew's 'unpolished gems'.
    With Pardew players like Lee Cook were purely here to get fit. If they helped us get promoted it was a bonus to them. Akpo is playing for a contract, and the others may well be.

Pardew also signed Scott Sinclair who had nothing we didn't already have in players like Thomas and Sam, and our midfield was already lightweight enough with Ambrose and Zheng also there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forster is still a good player at this level despite his age, however he had a massive fall out with Poyet about his contract and there was only going to one winner there, no player is bigger than the club. Someone earlier mentioned his wage of 3k a week, more like 8k a week and I would be shocked if we were paying any of that for the duration of his loan. He could very well join you in the summer as it is unlikely Poyet will want him especially with money he has to spend in the summer. Good luck on the promotion push and piping those Leeds scum to promotion.
  • Options
    I had totaly forgotton leroy lita played for us.... jesus.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like Forster will be missed at Brighton.

A great signing, I would have thought.

No idea about Fry, but we obviously need help at the back. As for Warner, we needed someone, but I do feel for Darren Randolph who I don't think has ever been given much of a chance in SE7.
  • Options
    [cite]Chris_from_sidcup[cite/]
    We needed goalkeeping cover - we signed a keeper.
    We needed defensive cover - we signed a defender who can play CB and full back.
    We badly needed a goalscorer - we signed a goalscorer.

How anyone can knock that i don't know[quote/]

Spot on Chris.
    Got a feeling Forster could be a pivotal signing
  • Options
    Forster and Warner are both proven at this level assuming they are fully fit which is always a worry with older players.

Fry coped adequately with our attack (not that that saysmuch!) when we played Gillingham at Priestfield.

Overall credit to Parky for making the best of the meagre crumbs available to him.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tony Warner and Nicky Forster will bring much needed experience to the squad. Shoot me if im wrong I reckon that is good effort from Parky.

Intresting/sad little tick bit I noticed that Warners middle name is Randolph spooooooky.
  • Options
    not a moan, but loans rarely seem to work out for us.

and there does seem to be a corrolation between high turnover of players and bad results
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Overall credit to Parky for making the best of the meagre crumbs available to him.

Yes, agree with that.

And more than that, credit to Parky for coaxing those crumbs out of the board in the first place. Who on earth would have predicted at the start of the week that he'd squeeze money out of them to pay the wages of three new players?

I said on here that his rant after last Saturday's game was directed at the board as much as the fans, and that he was playing politics and sending them a coded message that if we didn't get promoted, it would be the board's fault for failing to invest in the squad.

I was told that was rubbish. But he's a shrewd politician. He was trying to get more money out ofMurray and co. before the window closed, he knew exactly what he was saying and how it would play in the boardroom - and he calculated it brilliantly. His politicking worked a treat.

To be honest, I don't think any of today's three arrivals will make much difference to our fate. But more bodies has to be good, so I'm glad Parky got his way.

But if he doesn't get us promoted, I'd expect the board to look at how many players they allowed him to bring in and take a pretty harsh view this summer when they come to debate whether he should get another season in charge...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]And more than that, credit to Parky for coaxing those crumbs out of the board in the first place. Who on earth would have predicted at the start of the week that he'd squeeze money out of them to pay the wages of three new players?

I said on here that his rant after last Saturday's game was directed at the board as much as the fans, and that he was playing politics and sending them a coded message that if we didn't get promoted, it would be the board's fault for failing to invest in the squad.

I was told that was rubbish. But he's a shrewd politician. He was trying to get more money out ofMurray and co. before the window closed, he knew exactly what he was saying and how it would play in the boardroom - and he calculated it brilliantly. His politicking worked a treat.

very good analysis, I agree, albeit a few weeks late, he's got what we needed
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Forster is the most Sir Clive like player we have had since Sir Clive, in stature and finishing. I hope he has the same end to a first season the great man had or better