Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Fry and Nicky Forster Signed On Loan To End Of Season

Comments

• Options
    LOL Nigel, once a spin doctor always a spin doctor : - )

You said it was a coded message, I said it wasn't very coded at all.

Two more players (Elliot and Burton) had been injured during the game immediately preceding his statement. And lo and behold we sign replacements for Elliot and Burton.

Must have been Parky's statement and only Parky's statement that changed the boards mind (if it was actually changed, we don't know) then and in no way were those signings as a response to the injuries.
  • Options
    "I said on here that his rant after last Saturday's game was directed at the board as much as the fans, and that he was playing politics and sending them a coded message that if we didn't get promoted, it would be the board's fault for failing to invest in the squad.

I agree with that, but it's hardly shrewd taking a sly pop at the fans!.....he's no Malcom Tucker!
  • Options
    Brighton fan here. I noticed a couple of people have been asking why we’ve let our top scorer go if he’s ‘that good’.
    Poyet is building a team for the next 2 years and is having a big clear out in the summer and Forster isn’t in his long term plans. He is probably on the highest wages at the club so may as well get him off the wage bill as we’re not going up or down this season so looking to next. I’d imagine there is a call back clause in case our good form stops and we’re pulled back in a relegation fight in the next few months which is unlikely.
    Despite his age imo he is still one of the most clinical finishers in this league and could do a job in the championship as his game has never relied on pace. I’ve seen Charlton a few times this season and would be very surprised if he doesn’t make a big impact in your promotion push. I’d imagine him and Mooney would link up well in the next few games but we’ll see!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1zamora[/cite]Brighton fan here. I noticed a couple of people have been asking why we’ve let our top scorer go if he’s ‘that good’.
    Poyet is building a team for the next 2 years and is having a big clear out in the summer and Forster isn’t in his long term plans. He is probably on the highest wages at the club so may as well get him off the wage bill as we’re not going up or down this season so looking to next. I’d imagine there is a call back clause in case our good form stops and we’re pulled back in a relegation fight in the next few months which is unlikely.
    Despite his age imo he is still one of the most clinical finishers in this league and could do a job in the championship as his game has never relied on pace. I’ve seen Charlton a few times this season and would be very surprised if he doesn’t make a big impact in your promotion push. I’d imagine him and Mooney would link up well in the next few games but we’ll see!

Thanks for the input, Zamora. I probably speak for quite a few Charlton fans in being a little surprised/confused as to why your team would let their top scorer go out on loan, but this clears things up a little bit!

Good luck for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    But if he doesn't get us promoted, I'd expect the board to look at how many players they allowed him to bring in and take a pretty harsh view this summer when they come to debate whether he should get another season in charge...
    Probably true but as they extended his contract for 1 more year it'll cost money to get rid of him and then find a replacement (unless there is one out of work). I could see him being here either way, especially if we finish the season well but only just miss out. He might actually be better than some managers we'd be able to get at finding frees and loans on a smaller wage budget, which is something I think the board would consider.
  • Options
    Good signings Foster will give us the goal threat in which is required as well as proven in this league over many years Warner is a keeper who will not be phased due to his experience should he be called upon and Fry gives us the cover at the left and centre of defence nice bit of business
  • Options
    I am extremely pleased with this. I did say in other threads we needed a CB as well so am pleasently surprised that Fry came. The fact that he can cover LB means we do not need to put Solly in that position again.Forster could have a 'Jim Melrose' type impact and Warner is a sound back up keeper.

I hope the Board don't take a harsh view on Parky as he was unlucky with Jackson and it seems they didn't let him bring in Borrowdale until after Millwall , I suspect because we needed to pay his wages for another week. A 4-0 thrashing later , Parky could say I told you so .IMHO I think Jackson could have been a season changing player and was an astute signing .

I think they knew that this was a necissity not a Manager throwing his weight around , but Forster in particular sounds exciting
  • Options
    Nice to see some positive posts for a change, getting fed up of reading about how everything at Charlton is so Sh*T gets a bit boring.

Considering where we are & the position we find ourselves in financially I cannot see how the Board or Manager could of done any better under the circumstances. Just hope the Board reap the rewards from this at the end of the season, fortune favours the bold.
  • Options
    since the first pardew champ campaign where he blew what remained of our 'wad' the board have been more interested in balancing the books than providing funds for a balanced squad. This is not a criticism but in my opinion more a statement of fact. Without some behind the scenes re-organization and re-investment we would probably be in administration at this point.

Back to the present and Parkys recent rant reminds me of Pardews comments about a week before the start of last season.

On both occasions the board did provide funds even if they were minimal.

The difference for me is the manager. One led us on the path to relegation whilst the other at least has us in a fight for promotion.

I think the board are slowly learning to trust a manager again after the Dowie and Pardew disasters.

Parky has had a very small squad of talent to call from. This has meant when players have gone out of form he has been limited in the changes he could make.

At the same time our injury crisis has gradually gone from bad to worse.

Whatever happens now in terms of promotion I think the worst thing we could do is sack Parky in the summer. Somewhere in the club we need stability and Parky gives us that.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In my opinion all 3 signings are decent, probably better than we could have expected tbh. Warner is a decent keeper, Forster is excellent in this league, I know nowt about Fry but hopefully he is young hungry and very capable, it seems from what I have read that he is a versatile defender.Well done to those concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely good signings for this level and good to see.

Well done Parky for identifying and getting them and very well done to the Board for backing the team yet again.

Feeling a bit more optimistic about Saturday now.
  • Options
    The Forster signing is spot on in our current situation. He IS a natural finisher which is definitely what we have missed. Being able to convert even a slightly higher percentage of the chances that we make each game could have and will make a difference. As for Fry ..well it`s a player where we needed one and Warner is experienced and could be an inspired signing. Can`t fault the board on this one.
  • Options
    All three signings are needed. Parky's got the job done, his rant was effective. That doesn't stop the fact that he really has no excuses if we don't go up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]once a spin doctor always a spin doctor : - )

You said it was a coded message, I said it wasn't very coded at all.

No spin, Henry. But very shrewd of Parky: he sent a message to the board in the guise of a message to disgruntled fans.

It was clever psychology on his part - and we should give the guy credit for that.

If anybody has posted on here on Monday sayiong that Parky was asking for three new players before the window closed, the rest of us would have said ''he's having a laugh'' and probably expected the board to offer him one...

Instead, he got all three. Credit to him for some smart politics, followed by some smart dealing in the market. Credit to the board for giving him what he wanted, when we know that cash is tight.

Now it's just up to the players who've come in to show everyone that it's money well spent.
  • Options
    I doubt its got anything to do with Parkinson playing politics and the very idea of coded messages makes me laugh. Its more to do with the directors realising our injury list is bad and its a last throw of the dice to get us up. I really hope it works.
  • Options
    I'm with Curbit on this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I doubt its got anything to do with Parkinson playing politics and the very idea of coded messages makes me laugh. Its more to do with the directors realising our injury list is bad and its a last throw of the dice to get us up.

Exactly. Without these 3 signings our season was going to fade fast. I'm not saying these 3 players will turn our season round but they'll give us a boost that's for sure.
    There's 7 weeks of the season left, say those 3 cost us 12k a week in wages (84k in total), we'd make that back easily if we got to the play offs. Obviously automatic is still the aim but the play offs are a minimum requirement. Without the 3 signings there was a danger of us finishing 7th or 8th and i think the board realised that. No politics or coded messages, just the board realising the squad needed a boost.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I doubt its got anything to do with Parkinson playing politics and the very idea of coded messages makes me laugh. Its more to do with the directors realising our injury list is bad and its a last throw of the dice to get us up. I really hope it works.

I hear you B

now thats a coded message

;-)
  • Options
    This is a BBCoded message. ;-) Really look forward to seeing Forster play, I can see him being a hit at The Valley if the players take a liking to him too. Parky and the board couldn't have done any more with what they had at hand, happy we've got a striker - whether it be to try stay in the playoffs and go for them, or go for the automatics, let's hope these signings give them a push.

Not a fan of too many loans myself, but these were needed, and I really like Forster, also Reid. Not seen enough of Borrowdale to say anything. :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]There's 7 weeks of the season left, say those 3 cost us 12k a week in wages (84k in total)
    Hopefully not even that, Fry I think is a first year pro at West Ham, hasn't really proven anything so can't be on that much. Forster I'm not sure I believe the Brighton fan saying he's on £8k a week and we'll be paying all of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Te he Forster never relied on pace. If anyone ever saw him at Gills and Brentford his whole game was pace based. It's good to hear that he's developed a more incisive thinking game since, something he had to do at Brum when his pace wasn't enough in the old first div. As for like Mendonca, hmmmmm, maybe in penalty box sniping but not in holding the ball up and working for the team.

I'm happy with the signings, just a little unhappy that with all the striker signings Parky's always signed smaller - below six foot strikers. Some of them may be physically competitive like Akpo and Leon but we desperately need a bash 'em and crash 'em striker. It's a shame Liam Dickinson wasn't signed, we've needed physically agressive players for five odd years now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I doubt its got anything to do with Parkinson playing politics and the very idea of coded messages makes me laugh. Its more to do with the directors realising our injury list is bad and its a last throw of the dice to get us up. I really hope it works.

Spot on Curb It.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]There's 7 weeks of the season left, say those 3 cost us 12k a week in wages (84k in total)
    Hopefully not even that, Fry I think is a first year pro at West Ham, hasn't really proven anything so can't be on that much. Forster I'm not sure I believe the Brighton fan saying he's on £8k a week and we'll be paying all of it.

Warner must be on a few k though, his last 2 permanent clubs have been premiership sides. My guess at their wages was him on 6k, Forster 4k and Fry 2k.
  • Options
    Well done Parky & the Board

These 3 signings now mean that we can push for 2nd spot if Millwall trip up, if not we can go into the playoffs with confidence. However I don't expect an immediate improvement on Saturday as it will take a week to sort out tactics and players knowledge of each other, so a draw at Hudds would still be a good result and should not be net by boos or negativity by us fans.

Parky and the Board have done he best that they are able,now it's up to us to give them and the team our wholehearted support for the rest of the season.

COYR
  • Options
    I'm with Curb-it on this one
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]

Now it's just up to the players who've come in to show everyone that it's money well spent.

Absolutely spot on.

Intrigued about Fry and whether he is CH cover or for post Borrowdale or a bit of both.

Still he's young, fit (for now at least) and has played in this division this year. Ditto Forster other than the slight age gap.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I'm happy with the signings, just a little unhappy that with all the striker signings Parky's always signed smaller - below six foot strikers. Some of them may be physically competitive like Akpo and Leon but we desperately need a bash 'em and crash 'em striker. It's a shame Liam Dickinson wasn't signed, we've needed physically agressive players for five odd years now.
    That was type of striker I thought Parky would sign last summer, just never happened in the end. He likes Iwelumo and to a lesser extent Kandol, ideally I think he'd have a big striker in the squad, just hasn't found the right one.

Physical and aggressive players is something we still lack I agree, but being in League One we were probably going to find it hard to have a bit of everything in the squad. Is there are club in the league that doesn't lack certain types of players in some area? Perhaps Norwich and Leeds with them being in the top 2, but I haven't seen enough of them to know either way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    Warner must be on a few k though, his last 2 permanent clubs have been premiership sides. My guess at their wages was him on 6k, Forster 4k and Fry 2k.
    Maybe I just think they'll (hopefully) all be on a bit less than that. £6k is a huge amount of money if Warner is starting as 2nd choice, he surely won't take Elliot's place once he's fit. I'd hope we aren't paying quite as much as £6k for Dailly and Richardson.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]since the first pardew champ campaign where he blew what remained of our 'wad' the board have been more interested in balancing the books than providing funds for a balanced squad. .[/quote]

I know it is not meant to be critisiscm, but I think this is harsh. Balancing the books is about keeping us on an even keel, what the board have been doing is keeping us out of administration, £7 million personal investment into the club this season is pretty good and better than just focussing on balancing the books. For them they have now coughed up more to try and drag us over the finishing line, when we looked to have run out of steam, as some one else said its a bit like when Jimmy melrose was brought in and fired us into the top flight.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite] we desperately need a bash 'em and crash 'em striker.

I think a fully fit and confident Akpodje is that, as demonstrated by his 15 minute spell against Gills and 2nd half showing in the 9-man draw with Swindon. Trouble is he's always only 20 minutes away from the next niggly injury and he seems a bit conscious of that to me. He's not the greatest judge of a high ball either so mis-times his leep for flick-ons more often than he should. I guess thats the market we're shopping in right now though.

Given the lack of funds I'm glad Parky's chosen to get in poacher rather than a batering ram becuase I think there have been a few games where we've dropped points for want of man who'll anticipate that mis hit clearance, or whipped cross to the near post. Wallsall away is one that springs to mind and there have been others. If we'd had someone who'd turned just 3 of those kind of draws into wins we'd be leading the race for automatic promotion and possibly still have outside amibitions of catching Norwich.

Let's hope it's not too late for him to make a difference - were he to bag the winner in tight games against Colchester, Norwich and Leeds he could make himself a hero just by scoring 3 goals.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I doubt its got anything to do with Parkinson playing politics and the very idea of coded messages makes me laugh. Its more to do with the directors realising our injury list is bad and its a last throw of the dice to get us up. I really hope it works.[/quote]

B, were your messages 'coded' to the players flying out of Floyd Road after the Millwall debacle??