Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup horns/vuvuzela

Comments

• Options
    I find them very irritating but no doubt will get used to them. I agree with those saying that let the hosts hold it the way they want cos if we get the bid for 2018 and those bl00dy foreigners start campaigning for there to be a ban on binge drinking, random violence and hyped- up expectation well they can bugger off.
  • Options
    They are beginning to annoy me, especially when they are played during national anthems. That's disrespectful.
  • Options
    I gather that the TV companies have decided to turn down their effects mikes to minimise that awful 'noise'.
    Presumably the indigenous population are not accustomed to being in large crowds in stadia, and thus are ignorant...of the fact that a crowd will generate its own noise without the need for plastic trumpets.
    Have to hope that UK supermarket buyers have more sense than to start retailing them here...
  • Options
    A journalist I know has asked and got this answer:

"according to BBC engineers is it a Bflat below middle C with a fundamental of 233Hz. And cannot be cut."

I think they're great fun, me.
  • Options
    It doesn't appear that it takes many vuvu's to make so much noise and it was disappointing that their constant drone drowned out all the chants and banter between the English & American's last night.

Could hear a few songs struggling to be heard but generally they were muffled. Along with a few other games, where the Koreans, Argies, etc normally make a good atmosphere, it was just killed by the sound of a billion bumble bees.

Be a shame if the singing and drums of the Brazilians are silenced, the deep and organised chanting of the germans smothered and the italian singing unaudible due to a hundred of so wallies constantly blowing these horns.
  • Options
    I think they're tedious. A cheap gimmick by the organisers to bring a different atmosphere to the games by equipping the locals with these poxy hooters. It's as cheap and plasticky as those clapper things. All it does is create a constant noise that deflects from the real atmosphere in the ground, I couldn't imagine the racket of actually being stood in front of someone using it. If they do appear at English grounds next season people will get frustrated, I know I would.
  • Options
    THEYRE GIVING ME A HEADACHE
  • Options
    They're shit. A pain in the arse. The commentators have just remarked on the 'fanatical support' of the Algerians. You'd never know it, since the only thing you can hear are those f***ing horns. They're not 'adding to' the flavour of the crowd - they ARE the flavour of the crowd. It's not 'fun', 'charmingly unique to South Africa', or 'something we'll look back on as a reminder of the first African world cup'. It's just f***ing annoying.
  • Options
    Newsflash

The south africans will only ban the trumpets if every piece of St George toot is removed from any vehicle parading any.

Everyone's a winner.
  • Options
    Indeed, because England tat on cars interferes with the atmosphere at matches, of course.

Remember, kids. Whatever the problem is, somewhere along the line, English people are to blame. Foreigners are incapable of doing anything wrong.

Shall we call it Guardianista's law?

This has nothing to do with your dislike for your countrymen/women's displays of support for their national team. It is about the atmosphere at matches.

After a few games, the novelty has worn off and those horns are just, unbelievably tedious and annoying. You cannot hear the crowd above them and they destroy the atmosphere. What if we decided that the constant blaring of air horns was a new part of our football culture, would that be alright? Oh of course not, because we are English and therefore it would be wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Indeed, because England tat on cars interferes with the atmosphere at matches, of course.

Meow!
    Does if you're listening to the radio in the car.Not all of us are lucky enough to have ITV HD you know.
  • Options
    If i went to world cup i'd spend the majority of it in prison as i'll shove someones vuvuzela where the sun dont shine....bleeding annoying!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hypothetical Question for the haters.
    Next season we will have crowd of say 10/15000 of which 10,000 will sit in silence.
    or a full house week in week out and 12000 will bring those things and make that noise for 90 minutes.
    The choice is yours?
    ; )
  • Options
    Carly, no one was lucky to have ITV HD last night, far from it!

T.C.E, I'd rather have 10k in silence than 12k people making me want to commit murder...
  • Options
    I have made my mind up on those poxy things and my mind is that they are a pain in the arse.

It's not part of an atmosphere they are just a drone and get right up my nose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]This has nothing to do with your dislike for your countrymen/women's displays of support for their national team. It is about the atmosphere at matches.

After a few games, the novelty has worn off and those horns are just, unbelievably tedious and annoying. You cannot hear the crowd above them and they destroy the atmosphere.

Exactly!!!
  • Options
    7 games in now and everyone has been absolute dross.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]7 games in now and everyone has been absolute dross.

I'd like to disagree but can't.
  • Options
    These things, as we know, are often an anti-climax. You can't help thinking that it will be a dazzling festival of football beforehand (the hype doesn't help), but the reality is often slightly deflating...
  • Options
    Hopefully it just blows over...

It ruins the Atmosphere! Nothing like the roar of a crowd when a goal goes in.

Ban them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The beauty of tournaments like the WC and Euros is that the crowd make the atmosphere.

The ghanains today looked like they were proper bouncing yet could be barely heard, bit like our support yesterday, all I heard was the national anthem and one chorus of self preservation society.

Even with the Charlton no roof excuse I am pretty certain our fans were loud yesterday.

By all means let the South Africans have them at their 3 games but I wanna hear Rule Brittania when I watch england not fooking bzzzzzzzzzzz.

Turning me off the tournament at the moment although the football isnt helping.
  • Options
    I remember the days when a vuvuzela was simply the shape between a girls legs...

I find them utterley annoying and would love to plug the ends up with dried cow pats...

Still, could be worse, imagine if it was being held in Australia, can you imagine 40,000 didgeridoos going off in your lughole at the same time...?

Now that would hurt your bottom...
  • Options
    I wonder if theses annoying horns will be as noisy in later rounds......when there's less free/cheap tickets for the locals and more corporate seats?

Plus fans from other countries trying to get tickets at short notice and willing to pay inflated prices. If any locals do have tickets for the later rounds i'm sure many of them will choose making money than blowing a horn for 90 minutes through a game they're not really inetersted in.

I for one hope they dissapear quickly as they're spoiling any chance of athmosphere.
  • Options
    Thank god we didn't get promoted, you know the Holmesdale Fanatics will be all over this next season !
  • Options
    Ban them, I'm at my tether. I'm officially past caring about tradition or respect or whatever else. All I care about is that buzz buzz buzzzzziiiinnng constantly all the time at the expense of any other noise. Just because it's in South Africa doesn't mean they get a monopoly on atmosphere. BAN THEM
  • Options
    I thought I'd let you know that this has been a matter of debate in France too. They were discussing it on the TV earlier but didn't give as good arguments against them as here on CL. They said that FIFA had considered banning them but decided against it as it's a S. African tradition (bollox). Bear in mind that these are the same idiots who believe that the ball increased in speed as it got nearer to Green (that goes against the laws of psysics, surely?)

My wife also tells me that a national newspaper in Argentina has been complaining about them. Generally the public over there feel the same as we do. My sister-in-law is even anti-Maradona (good for her).

I'd just like to agree about what someone says about the Ghana fans. They had drums, trumpets and were dancing around like 18 year olds on speed at a a rave but still we couldn't hear them. A shame for The World Cup.
  • Options
    The worst thing is they don't even stop when a goal's scored - just watching the Germany v Australia game and when the third and fourth went in the sound of the horns just carried on. Mental.

If we get the 2018 WC in England then we'll have to work out an equivalent "traditional" instrument to play here to wind up the rest of the world. Spoons? (stolen from Jason Manford on twitter)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LeaburnForEngland[/cite]The worst thing is they don't even stop when a goal's scored - just watching the Germany v Australia game and when the third and fourth went in the sound of the horns just carried on. Mental.

If we get the 2018 WC in England then we'll have to work out an equivalent "traditional" instrument to play here to wind up the rest of the world. Spoons? (stolen from Jason Manford on twitter)

Excellent idea. Get the harpsichords back out of the museums.
  • Options
    I mentioned klaxons before. That might do it. No-one will be able to hear anything at all if we are letting those things off constantly.

Seeing the game earlier, it struck me that we now have games that are a constant monotone that does not lessen when there is tension or increase when a goal is scored or a chance is made. What a load of bollox. Get rid.
  • Options
    I hear they could be banned as a number of players have also complained about them. Apparently they can't hear what their team mates are saying.