Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup horns/vuvuzela

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I thought I'd let you know that this has been a matter of debate in France too. They were discussing it on the TV earlier but didn't give as good arguments against them as here on CL.

That's because they're French! ;-)
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]They said that FIFA had considered banning them but decided against it as it's a S. African tradition (bollox).

It hasn't been around long enough to be "a tradition." But it has been around long enough to be a distraction and an annoyance.

They sound like a constant swarm of bees.
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]I'd just like to agree about what someone says about the Ghana fans. They had drums, trumpets and were dancing around like 18 year olds on speed at a a rave but still we couldn't hear them. A shame for The World Cup.

The vuvuzelas are just a wall of noise.
    There is no rhyme nor reason to them. Just constant blowing.

It is not like they are blown after a goal, after a big play, as a team is attacking ... it is constant.

They are spoiling it for others that have their own traditions and celebrations. And for anyone listening that appreciates each nation's uniqueness.
  • Options
    If your TV inherited an audio fault during live sporting events like this noise you'd take it back to the shop for repair.....it's simply awful in my opinion because it's relentless.
  • Options
    apparently according to one of the England "band" on five live, it doesnt have anywhere near the same effect in the ground itself, as compared to the TV and the chants of fans are clearly audible.

Agree with others though..........totally wrecking the atmosphere for the viewing public !
  • Options
    They are really doing my head in now... Pointless stupid things!
  • Options
    It's bloody awful. It kills a real football atmosphere. If this is what Africa has to offer then forget it, please not again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]It's bloody awful. It kills a real football atmosphere. If this is what Africa has to offer then forget it, please not again.

They're annoying as hell but let's not extrapolate out to some massive point about Africa as a whole. These South African vuvzelas are irritating but they don't reflect an entire continent. That's as stupid as banning the English 2018 bid if there's crowd trouble in Ukraine 2012. 'Well if that's what Europe has to offer...'
  • Options
    Watching the World Cup is a lot like being married.

You're supposed to enjoy it, but there's a constant droning sound in the background.
  • Options
    Thought the horns would be very irritating, am actually used to them now and they are no longer a problem. Would nevertheless prefer to hear some crowd singing/chants etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Would nevertheless prefer to hear some crowd singing/chants etc.

That's what is getting me ... if we coudn't even hear the England fans then there is no choice of hearing any singing.
  • Options
    wAoY2.jpg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also would be good to hear a roar or at least some cheering when a team score rather than even louder horns.
  • Options
    Imagine sitting at home in your comfy chair enjoying a few cans of beer and the your two kids continue to blow on those things constantly for 90 minutes. There's no doubt it is noise pollution and on a grand scale. I'd like to see 30,000 Englishman turn up with Air horns at the next match, see how the SAs like that.
  • Options
    SA tradition fair enough - but can they just stick to ruining their own games and let the other nations creat their own unique atmosphere's we've seen in previous WC's.

Italia 90 didn't have thousands of opera singers at every game.
  • Options
    Just to really be annoying, I've just downloaded the vuvuzela onto my i-phone - and now not sure how long I will an i-phone!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]SA tradition fair enough - but can they just stick to ruining their own games and let the other nations creat their own unique atmosphere's we've seen in previous WC's.

Italia 90 didn't have thousands of opera singers at every game.

Big mistake by Italia 90 organisers.

There WILL be lots of samba drums at every match in the next World Cup, remember that all you who complain about the South Africans ruining the atmosphere with endless noise.
  • Options
    The 909 commentator remarked that all South African children have been given a month off school AND comp tickets for the football and probably free horns too. If you look at the crowds behind the goals, the 'real' supporters, few/none have plastic trumpets, so it seems like the locals and schoolkids- the latter with little interest in the game and the attention-span of a gnat, are the source of the noise.
    I've taken to listening to the radio commentary while watching tv pictures- at least there are no 'effects' mikes on radio!
    Oh for a game with just crowd noise as background!
  • Options
    I find the drummer in the North stand massively annoying, especially when he is not just accompanying singing, can we ban him as well?
  • Options
    Made the mistake of taking an interest in my flatmate suddenly starting to gamble on betfair. Now he's constantly spouting odds for stupid bets and talking about how much he stands to lose/win in different situations. It's giving me a headache, as is listening to the moaning in the commentary. Vuvuzelas are a nice noise by comparison.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Made the mistake of taking an interest in my flatmate suddenly starting to gamble on betfair. Now he's constantly spouting odds for stupid bets and talking about how much he stands to lose/win in different situations. It's giving me a headache, as is listening to the moaning in the commentary. Vuvuzelas are a nice noise by comparison.

Fair one that gets right up my nose too
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Made the mistake of taking an interest in my flatmate suddenly starting to gamble on betfair. Now he's constantly spouting odds for stupid bets and talking about how much he stands to lose/win in different situations. It's giving me a headache, as is listening to the moaning in the commentary. Vuvuzelas are a nice noise by comparison.

Fair one that gets right up my nose too

I don't mind it normally, just all the way through the match is the problem, and stupid things like predicting a 3-3 result.

I reckon there's a good chance he'll wipe out his account. Put a lot of money on more than 1.5 goals, Cameroon to win and Cameroon to score 2 or more.

I told him at half time the biggest risk for him is that this match ends 1-0 to Japan, so talked him through the reasons why betting on 1-0 was a good idea, but I wouldn't tell him how to spend his money. What does he do? Puts the rest of his money on 2-0 Japan and 2-1 Japan. If it's 1-0 with 10 minutes to go, I reckon I'll be going for a long walk before it ends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thing with betting online is it's massively addictive and easy for someone who is not savvy with the old way of placing bets.

It also encourages stupidity. When someone who has caught the bug see's something like '£10 for the Japanese number 3 to score returns £190' they whack £30 on.

Sky are using the line that football is made more interesting when you have money riding on it, and that is exactly why people get huge debts sitting up until 4 in the morning watching american football results and the like.

I'd find it hugely difficult to watch something I wasn't interested in money riding on it or not
  • Options
    Agree 100%. That's not to criticise the people on here who bet regularly and know what they're doing, but definitely true of starters. People who put money on because the odds are high annoy me. You wouldn't put money on New Zealand to win the World Cup or Blackpool to win the Premier League, so why would you bet on stupid odds for something you know nothing about?

Japan had a good chance there, but I can't see either side scoring. Time to get ready for that long walk.
  • Options
    Dozy sod!

All the while Cameroon had Eto'o out wide they did not look the slightest bit threatening.

Agree too, not a dig at people who gamble online just ones who know diddly, ask for opinions or advice then airily ignore it
  • Options
    was listening to the jap game at work. Those horns make listening to the game painfull. No crowd roar when a shot comes close. I even miss the sound of booing. God i hate those fuggin horns.
  • Options
    Whos blowing the bloody things though? I have yet to see someone pictured with one.
  • Options
    aaaargggh...that's it, other than the england games i'm not watching another fcking match...
  • Options
    As said, I would not mind if they were part of an 'atmosphere' but they are not, the only difference when a goal is scored by one team or another is a slight noise increase, bring nothing to the game, as has been said, even when south africa acored the constant drone continued, no cheering, or celebrating, just blew the horns a little bit louder, are they interested in football?
  • Options
    These things are now all over E-bay already something like 282 different suppliers. IF someone starts blowing one of those in my ear when it's at Charlton next season it will end badly.
  • Options
    At least they drown out the Sheff Wednesday Band... "how about we play the Great Escape lads"

Did anyone else hear the Vuvuzela song on radio 5 live last night. was a work of genius Vuvuzela... ella... ella!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00sr3v0 (about 35 mins in)
  • Options
    Take last night, when Italy scored you could see all the Italian players screaming ''GOAAAAAAAAAL'' and usually you would get the same reaction from the Italian crowd. I love hearing that when an Italian teams scores. Yet all we got was ''BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR'' from those things. How anyone can say it adds to the atmsophere of a World Cup is beyond me.