Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bailey agrees terms with Boro, passes medical on Monday (29/6)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]let's just hope we don't replace him with a journeyman but a young hungry player.
    Like Bailey, you mean ...?

No Oggy, Bailey has never spent more than two seasons anywhere, I am talking about players who are desperate to play at a club like Charlton, who would kill to play at a stadium like ours week in week out, young raw, bit like Shelvey LOL

Sorry, Ketters ....... I thought you meant more established, hungry, ambitious players who'd give it their best shot while in a Charlton shirt - like Bailey did. Rather than a hungry youth team player desperate to carve out a career for himself.

But even then, they'd be traded in as soon as they were worth hard cash - like Jonjo, I guess?
  • Options
    I can see that logic Oggy but personally, having seen a lot of him over the last 2 years, I think there are some quite big weaknesses in his game behind the headline goalscoring. Out of position or otherwise, I think those weaknesses really became apparent in the second half of last season when the goals dried up for him - things like his lack of poise and thought when passing the ball. At his very best he's a good player who can hold his own at the top end of the champ, if not really standout as a star, but when he's off his best form he's not of a standard to win a team promotion to the Prem - at least not as the main man like he had become for us.

Like I say, I genuinely wish the lad well but I worry for him a bit in that he's an all-action type who probably thrives on being the main man who can go and look to influence the game wherever/whenever he wants - a kind of lower league Steven Gerrard, but I don't think he'll be good enough to do that in a team looking to get promoted from the Championship. If I'm right, he'll have to settle into doing a job whilst other's do the star man stuff - will he be able to score his trademark goals without that freedom he largely enjoyed here? He certainly struggled to find his best form when he was doing a job on the left over the second half of last season and we all know he can be a bit naive and ill-disciplined tactically when played centrally.

I guess it's up to Nicky to work hard at his game, which I'm sure he will, and Strachan to deploy him correctly. As a combative ginger midfielder, Bailey could have worse people teaching him his trade than Strachan so it could well work out, but knowing what I do about Nicky, I think that money represents more of a gamble than I personally would have taken, but I would hope Strachan know's more about it than me!
  • Options
    Strachan is the new Pardew. FACT.

Well done to whoever negoiated that deal.

I don't think any Charlton fan can say that Nicky Bailey everr gave anything less than 100% in every game for us. He was a decent player for Charlton and without his goals last season we would not have made the playoffs.

Thanks Nicky and good luck.
  • Options
    Well, I have to admit that I was very wrong about all this. I couldn't believe that we would get over £1m for him, and it looks like a feeat deal more than that.

I wish him all the best. I agree with Exiled_Addick and think that he has some serious limitations to his game that showed last season in a poorly performing team, and again this season in a third division side, but he does always gove 100%, and for close to £1m profit in two years, along with his goals we can have no complaints.

I know he was critisised for his departure from Soiuthend, but I think he's handled this situation with a very professional manner.

I'd also point out, in response to Dave Mehment's comments that the Barnet fans cheered him from the start of the game to the end at The Valley this season, so I think it is just Southend that don't like him.

Anyway good luck to him, this is one of those occasions where we are all happy, he gets his move amd we get the much needed cash.

Still think £1.4m for a player that has only played in the Championship for one season and finished last, with one year on his contract, is a fantastic fee (for us). Well done all.
  • Options
    If we do get 1.4m up front, how much do we have to give to Southend?
  • Options
    sounds like a fantastic deal for us and hopefully we can hold on to Semedo and Racon - although surely there must be some serious interest for Semedo from top-end Championship clubs - I know if I was Strachan with £1.4m to spend who I would;ve bought of the two!
  • Options
    appears to be a good deal for all concerned. i wish nicky well. he was a great servant even for a short period. another ex-player who will be welcomed back!
  • Options
    Great piece of business if it is the £1.4m up front. Bailey has done well for us given what we paid Southend, but apart from his debut at home to Reading, I thought he really struggled in the Championship. He was more at home in league 1 so it is a big challenge for him to step up into a team that will be expecting to be up with the front runners. Hopefully a chance now for Parky to get players in to better balance the team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I can see that logic Oggy but personally, having seen a lot of him over the last 2 years, I think there are some quite big weaknesses in his game behind the headline goalscoring. Out of position or otherwise, I think those weaknesses really became apparent in the second half of last season when the goals dried up for him - things like his lack of poise and thought when passing the ball.

Hi Exiled .......Like yourself and others, I've also posted on Bailey's limitations to his game and how he fits into the side - so in principle, agree with you.

But that also depends who he plays alongside .......... that first season playing his first games in CM alongside the often much maligned Matty Holland, he looked a very good and effective player indeed. But then so did Jonjo as a 16 year old at CM playing his first games alongside Matty.

Also, in that Championship season, he didn't see himself as Charlton's Steven Gerrard, as you neatly put it. He was the new boy stepping up a level, Last season, he was skipper and no doubt took the responsibilty of that seriously - but being captain can impact upon your own game ......... you can easily end up trying to play everybody else's game, and your own starts to look a bit ragged as you strive too hard, losing composure.

I think we saw a bit of that.

Middlesbrough would have done their homework, I'm sure. They would have had him watched, and be well aware of his strengths and weaknesses. - IMO his standout qualities are his drive, his determination and of course his goals.
    Just the character a promotion chasing team wants to give them an edge. Surely that's what Strachan is buying Bailey for?

Strachan must have a gameplan for next season - and must already have an idea how Bailey would fit into that.
    Anyway, we'll see!
  • Options
    Apparently only £1m
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]He certainly struggled to find his best form when he was doing a job on the left over the second half of last season
    Though the season before he scored most of his goals while playing on the left.

Assuming it goes through ok, will be interesting to see how he does.

I think something else that will have a big effect is how he settles living up there. If he's not comfortable there, it'll probably show on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even at 'only £1 Million i'm happy . I suspect the 0.4 will be appearances promotion to the Prem etc.
  • Options
    If it's 1m or 1.4m it'll probably be on the OS eventually as undisclosed so we will probably never really know. However, 1m is more than I expected although we have to give Southend 20% of whatever is over and above what we have already paid them, 400k plus, although I expect not much more than that as since Nicky has joined us we have gone continually backwards so promotion clauses etc won't have come into play !!
  • Options
    Can't believe everyone is so happy we might be selling our only goalscoring midfielder! None of this money will work it's way back into the team. It will be swallowed up in operating costs almost immediately. I understand the finances and accept players like Bailey will leave. This decision is good for the finances of the club but not for the footballing side of things.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]Can't believe everyone is so happy we might be selling our only goalscoring midfielder! None of this money will work it's way back into the team. It will be swallowed up in operating costs almost immediately. I understand the finances and accept players like Bailey will leave. This decision is good for the finances of the club but not for the footballing side of things.
    I know what you're saying, but I think everyone accepts we need the money, and the quicker this deal goes through, the quicker we'll know our budget. Then we should be able to sort out the out of contract players and hopefully make a few signings. We're in trouble if we can't replace his and Burton's goals, but he has to go so we can re-build the squad.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36213&newstype=p

Confirmed on the OS

The all-action midfielder, who hit 13 goals last season, is discussing a deal to head north and could complete a medical at the Riverside Stadium next week.

Plc chairman Richard Murray said: "We are in talks with Middlesbrough but nothing has been agreed as yet.”
  • Options
    Those over hit passes during the second half of the season were painful to watch
  • Options
    Obviously been inevitable for the last few weeks but now its here got to admit im a bit gutted to see him go.Cheers Nicky.Good luck
  • Options
    At least Dailly should get his song back now...
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited June 2010
    Who the HELL is going to shag my wife now?
  • Options
    Finally on the OS - I think they picked it up from here lol!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]At least Dailly should get his song back now...

Is he staying then???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: WSS[/cite]At least Dailly should get his song back now...

Is he staying then???

Hope so, cause if he left and also Semedo then we'd have nothing left to sing (not that we've got alot anyway!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: fantastic11[/cite]Those over hit passes during the second half of the season were painful to watch

Yeah thought first half of the season he was vital second half he became a liability, so not too fussed he's going really

I agree one of our best players on his day, but too incosistent(mainly in the second half of the season), wasn't the greatest captain(diving, hot head, didn't really pick the team up when we needed him to the odd vital goal). i'm not criticising too much here as i think he is a good player but when the chips are down he isnt really one to pull us out of it, far too many silly passes.

Hope we get rid of racon too but cant see anyone coming in for him, Semedo we must keep!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]

Is he staying then???

Hope so, cause if he left and also Semedo then we'd have nothing left to sing (not that we've got alot anyway!)

Very true.

With all the talk of Bailey's impending departure there has yet to be any rumours about the likes of Semedo or Racon leaving. Lets hope it stays that way and we can start to build a team around the likes of Semedo and that our group of freebies will be able to mount a challenge for promotion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]

Is he staying then???

Very true.

With all the talk of Bailey's impending departure there has yet to be any rumours about the likes of Semedo or Racon leaving. Lets hope it stays that way and we can start to build a team around the likes of Semedo and that our group of freebies will be able to mount a challenge for promotion.

They'll no doubt leave 3 days before the season starts and we will all be able to witness first hand the talent we have in the under 18s.

Still, on the upside, if they both go it might free up enough money in the budget to bring Akinfenwa or someone of equal stature.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36213&newstype=p

Confirmed on the OS

The all-action midfielder, who hit 13 goals last season, is discussing a deal to head north and could complete a medical at the Riverside Stadium next week.

Plc chairman Richard Murray said: "We are in talks with Middlesbrough but nothing has been agreed as yet.”

so Boro say they have agreed a deal with us and we say we are still discussing a deal. Who to believe ? If you take the Bailey quotes into account and the fact he is having a medical I'd say a deal is agreed. The Club seem to feel the need to let us down gently.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Who the HELL is going to shag my wife now?

Looks like you got the short dick straw.
  • Options
    The deal is done when the contract is signed and the money is in the bank, not before.

why should Murray close the door on another offer for more money coming in from another club at the last minute by saying it's a done deal?

Maybe he's sending a big message out to Soton or Celtic or "you can still get him for a few 100k more".

or maybe we're all just reading too much into comments on websites so we can partake of our favourite sport ie have a good moan
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]or maybe we're all just reading too much into comments on websites so we can partake of our favourite sport ie have a good moan

yep, spot on there Henry !!
  • Options
    Looks like the club are again selling our best players for under their market worth and minutes before the transfer window shuts.

Presumably the reason why it isn't yet a done deal is because the window hasn't yet opened, therefore he can't officially move for a few more days.