Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My biggest regret in life...

Comments

• Options
    How old are you now, Andy?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]I'm going stir crazy at home so yesterday I thought I'd have a bonfire to get rid of old bits of tree and other stuff that's been lying about. I piled it up on my bonfire site, scrunched up some newspaper, struck a match and WHOOMF, it was so dry it flred up like a rocket. However, because of my impaired vision I didn't notice bits of flaming newspaper being carried up, up and away on the breeze and landing on the lawn behind me and setting it alight. Luckily Mrs.M saw the spreading flames from the kitchen window and charged down the garden with a saucepan of water. I tried stamping on the flames and succeded in setting my trainers on fire, but then found a bucket and made several trips from the tap to put the conflagration out. As I sat on a garden chair surveying the smouldering scene I did indeed regret the decision to have a bonfire in a drought

I suppose it wasn't funny for you at the time, March me old China ......but your story read like pure farce. You couldn't make it up!

Must have been scary at the time ......I've got this mental picture of you dancing manicly on your lawn trying to put out smouldering grass with flaming trainers on your feet. Sorry if it made me laugh reading it.

I bet you needed a nice cup of tea afterwards. Or Talisker.

Good to hear you're on the mend, bit by bit and hope the eyes get sorted soon.
    I bet the missus won't let you loose in the garden again for a while!
  • Options
    Thanks Oggy, and me an ex-Health & Safety bloke to boot! The punch-line really is that the hospital rigged me up with a 72 hour heart monitor yesterday morning so heaven knows what sort of readings they'll get from my mad dashes up and down the garden! I'll probably be in for a three way by-pass next week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Thanks Oggy, and me an ex-Health & Safety bloke to boot! The punch-line really is that the hospital rigged me up with a 72 hour heart monitor yesterday morning so heaven knows what sort of readings they'll get from my mad dashes up and down the garden! I'll probably be in for a three way by-pass next week.
    I'd love to see their faces when you say "oh yeah, that was probably when my feet caught light".
  • Options
    This thread is so full of win it's unreal. Highlights how different everyone is, how their experiences have sometimes been pretty grim, but also how people can pull together to support each other. I've enjoyed immensely (if 'enjoyed' is the appropriate word to use) reading other peoples' experiences - even the tough ones. Oggy's words made even a miserable old turd like me well up. I get the piss taken out of me a lot by people for being a bit 'hard-ass' about decisions I make, and the fact that I don't regret making them - even though it often appears I've dropped a bollock. Reading these posts, I'm starting to think maybe the reason I'm like that is because I haven't really experienced anything like them myself, so really have no major decisions go wrong to have 'regretted' them.

It's also made me go back through the last twenty-odd years and examine decisions I made to see if there are any I 'regret' - and I think I've found one. About fifteen years ago, a very good friend of mine was with a girl who I absolutely hated. Eventually - being the insensitive, argumentative prick that I am - I told her exactly what I thought of her - to her face, with my mate there at the time. Fifteen years later, they're still together, have two gorgeous kids and I regret doing it - simply because it soured my relationship with my mate.

There - I CAN admit to making mistakes :o)
  • Options
    Oggy I really feel for you but I do believe that your daughter will eventually come round. Meantime take comfort in the fact that you did all you could for your children and that you helped to make your son the person that he is today. I'm sure he never regrets for one minute leaving with you. And on that subject just think that, if you hadn't married the person you despise so much now, you wouldn't have had ever had those very children.

As for me I have too many regrets to list on here, none of which are anyway near as meaningful or worthy as most of those expressed on here. I have a wonderful wife, two fantastic sons (a 17 year old from my first marriage and a 7 year old courtesy of the current Mrs) both of whom I have no doubt will be successes in life and find the inner happiness that their father never had. But if they do then that might just bring a smile to my face. No promises on that count though!
  • Options
    Hi AA, thanks for your thoughtful words, and certainly I hope you're proved right!
    And of course, what you say is very true ...... I couldn't have had the beautiful children I have had without my ex-wife.

Incidently, I don't despise or hate her - after all the difficulties and pain of the past, she can't directly hurt me any more.
    I just really wish I had made a better choice.

Ah....... the wisdom of hindsight!

I'm intrigued with your comment, "and find the inner happiness that their father never had". But you do have that inner happiness right now, as you speak so lovingly of your family around you.

That's a true blessing!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Fifteen years later, they're still together, have two gorgeous kids and I regret doing it - simply because it soured my relationship with my mate.

Have you spoken to either of them about it recently, Leroy?

Neither they or you are exactly the same people today as you were 15 years ago ......you're all more experienced in life, with more maturity.

When we're younger, often ego gets in the way, As we get older a little humility and humbleness can trigger a change of attitudes. Sometimes, all it takes is the right moment to aproach your old friend, and tell him how sorry you are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Fifteen years later, they're still together, have two gorgeous kids and I regret doing it - simply because it soured my relationship with my mate.

Have you spoken to either of them about it recently, Leroy?

Neither they or you are exactly the same people today as you were 15 years ago ......you're all more experienced in life, with more maturity.

When we're younger, often ego gets in the way, As we get older a little humility and humbleness can trigger a change of attitudes. Sometimes, all it takes is the right moment to aproach your old friend, and tell him how sorry you are.
    Yeah - I've done that. Reached out a couple of times in the past few years, but received a polite, but firm rebuff. Fair enough - I was a twat, I can live with that.
  • Options
    Leroy have you thought may be you was jealous of your mates GF thats why u slagged her off ? and may be if you contacted the "village person" within yourself you could actually embrace the side of you that is pink and within the wardrobe ? ( was gona say closet but wasnt sure i could spell it ). Maybe going into IT and "switching things on and off again" is really a cry for help re sexuality ?Just here to help mate as always.

good thread through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Leroy have you thought may be you was jealous of your mates GF thats why u slagged her off ? and may be if you contacted the "village person" within yourself you could actually embrace the side of you that is pink and within the wardrobe ? ( was gona say closet but wasnt sure i could spell it ). Maybe going into IT and "switching things on and off again" is really a cry for help re sexuality ?Just here to help mate as always.

good thread through.
    You're just dialling it in now. Jibes about my sexuality and the futility of my job? Give it up fella - once you get that low and predictable you're about fifteen minutes away from being draped round the anchor at the top of Deptford High St with a bottle of Merrydown in your hand mopping the piss stains off your jeans.
  • Options
    aaahhhhhhhhhh Carrington Hse they dont make places like that anymore...thank f**K.

not really a jibe id say more a josh.
  • Options
    Moving to Wales and it not working out is a big regret,relationship with ex-went tits up,relationship with middle step daughter disintegrated into screaming rows(I look back and can't believe what an absolute tosser I was) and having to leave my little boy behind broke my heart

Thankfully things are very amicable with my ex I get to see my little 'un whenever I want(he's down for the Bournemouth game) but I miss him very badly and I've patched things up with my step-daughter so things are on the mend there.
  • Options
    Not sure if its a "regret",but in 1998 I stood up to Lewisham Council when being accussed of Racism. ("Won" the courtcase at Bellmarsh after 2 days).
    Lost my Wife, Job, House and alot of (what little I had) Sanity. Am on "Happy Pills" for the rest of my days because of this.
    But, I would do it all again: Started "afresh" in 2000, now am buying aflat in SE26, trying to rebuild my work and have the lovely Sandra (Mrs MOG) by my side.
  • Options
    Some real heartbreaking stories here...
  • Options
    That you being unhappy is sometimes the best thing for others .
  • Options
    sounds soppy but mine has got to be treating my ex without the respect she deserved. In the end she got fed up with me and now im sitting in my pants watching top gear on my own. Still, im only 26 and im a believer that all things happen for a reason....
    This...............but older and should be wiser but did it again!!
  • Options
    Is winter more depressing for anyone?
  • Options
    No real regrets. Would like to have met my wife earlier, was only half the man I am now before we got together, I owe her a lot. If we'd had our daughter earlier would like to have had more kids (44 now, too late) but feel bloody lucky to have her.

Did OK at school, didn't make the most of education but have done fairly well at work so can't complain.

Wish I hadn't cut short a new year's break in Amsterdam to come home and watch Charlton lose 4-2 against Southampton at Sellhurst.

• Options
    Someone has taken over your account

Admin help DM out that can not have come from him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL, sorry mate it's true. I may give the impression that I've got lower morals than an alley cat but it's all bollox! Would never even dream of doing anything to hurt her, I know what side my bread is butered!
  • Options
    Wish I hadn't just drunk a bottle and half of red wine at a client seminar.

Mind you my spelling is still ok so can't be too bad.
  • Options
    Boom said:

Yeah, but look at the state of your shirt and tie - not to mention your ruddy boat!
  • Options
    Got a big life decision to make in the next month or so that will ,if I choose to do it,make things stressful for the next 4-5 years but after that will ,I hope,provide a stability to me and mine probably for the rest of my days. It will absorb a lot of my spare time leaving not a lot left for the wife and kids.and that's what worries me the most.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Boom said:

Yeah, but look at the state of your shirt and tie - not to mention your ruddy boat!
    Unlucky d - not wearing a tie!
  • Options
    Know what you mean mate

My biggest regret is still that i didnt get to smash the twins i met in camden palace and had to settle for 1

But i was 18 slim and a lot better looking then
  • Options
    And there was me thinking you'd improved with age, NLA.
  • Options
    Just read your words from a while back oggster. Big shame about your daughter but Sounds like the boy's done good. Would love to be a shipwright! Presumably he's doing it in your neck of the woods in yokel country?
  • Options
    Not following the women I love abroad, live with that everyday for the past two years if only I bought a ticket and just went.
  • Options
    Amsterdam?