Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Does anyone actually believe that Parky is a good manager?

Comments

• Options
    A penalty miss by our captain. Had that gone in it's quite possible we could be mid table chmaionship now.

Oyes parky is a bad manager as he chose Bailey to take the penalty!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    we sat behind the dug out for the brighton game I'm convinced parky was shouting along with kins at the team to mark up the players for the short corners and on the edge of the box.

the players either didn't hear him or didn't listen.

is that his fault? does that make him a bad manager?

a fundamental issue not sure how this has carried through since our team were in the premier league seeing as no one from then still plays for us is the inability to hold the ball from OUR throw in or OUR free kick. i can can count on one hand the amount of times this has been achieved which is ridiculous. a free kick or throw in in our favour is rarely something to get excited about.

I think team selection and tactics can lay at his door but in-game individual mistakes can't necessarily be unless the same mistake is made twice and he hasn't made a decision to change it. I think people are too quick to shout at parky when reid makes a dud cross. is that fair?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]Even when we have won recently at The Valley it has hardly been deserved. Most of the teams that come to the Valley seem to be able to pass and play the ball to feet and create space on the ball. We do not! Nadou is not on his own here in saying that we are not enjoying turning up at The Valley to watch this type of football anymore. I hope we get a performance for 90 minutes on Saturday against Sheff Weds because Saturdays result has not convinced me at all due to the fact that we could easily have lost 4-3 after being 3-0 up.

How much better than getting all flustered, Red, would it be for you to realise you are supporting a team in the THIRD division.

What do you expect??
    What manager would produce football to match your expectations on this budget?
    And that is a rhetorical question, as I couldnt stand another thread of ''Billy Bonds, Martin O Neill, Gazza, Ronald Mc Donald'' for our next manager nonsense

It is never going to be pretty.
    It is a long slow uphill climb, get used to it
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Parky is a good manager without doubt.

However to have success Charlton always seem to need excellent managers (Seed, Lawrence, Curbishley).

The jury is still out as to whether he is an excellent manager but for me since his appointment he has done all that can reasonably be expected with one exception.

The exception is persisting with an indifferent Racon rather than play Jonjo last season. However for all we know he may have been under orders to wrap Jonjo in cotton wool to ensure we got the fee from Liverpool.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    average at best. has us playing the type of football more suited to park view road than the valley. if we are picking up points playing this type of football imagine how well we could be doing if we used our player potential properly under a good manager.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It would be interesting to have seen the answers to a similar question, posed two years into the managerial careers of Charlton's longest-serving (and arguably best) managers, Jimmy Seed, Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley.

Was there enough evidence at that stage to assess their potential impact or to predict the brilliant jobs all three were going to go do?

It could be argued that had we pulled the trigger two years into Curbs' regime, we would never have tasted Premiership success, never built the North Stand, never seen a string of internationals play for Charlton and, ultimately never seen the strength of the Academy system.

If we had sacked Jimmy Seed two years into his Charlton job, we would never have seen the metoric rise from third division to first, five cup finals and the glorious day in 1947 when we became the first (and still only) South East London club to win the FA Cup.

If we had sacked Lennie Lawrence two years into his career, we would not have a football club to support.

In each case, the manager we had was the best available at the price we had. Does that ring any bells?

So, by all means continue to question, to knock, to undermine and to force negative comments on the current manager. But also forgive me if I continue to look on the bright side, support my club and get behind its management completely and utterly.

And also remember that, if this general negativity had been listened to in 1935, 1985 and 1997, you would be supporting a very different football club in 2010.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]It would be interesting to have seen the answers to a similar question, posed two years into the managerial careers of Charlton's longest-serving (and arguably best) managers, Jimmy Seed, Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley.

Was there enough evidence at that stage to assess their potential impact or to predict the brilliant jobs all three were going to go do?

It could be argued that had we pulled the trigger two years into Curbs' regime, we would never have tasted Premiership success, never built the North Stand, never seen a string of internationals play for Charlton and, ultimately never seen the strength of the Academy system.

If we had sacked Jimmy Seed two years into his Charlton job, we would never have seen the metoric rise from third division to first, five cup finals and the glorious day in 1947 when we became the first (and still only) South East London club to win the FA Cup.

If we had sacked Lennie Lawrence two years into his career, we would not have a football club to support.

In each case, the manager we had wasthe best available at the price we had. Does that ring any bells?

So, by all means continue to question, to knock, to undermine and to force negative comments on the current manager. But also forgive me if I continue to look on the bright side, support my club and get behind its management completely and utterly.

And also remember that, if those types of comments had been listened to in 1935, 1985 and 1997, you would be supporting a very different football club in 2010.

Absolutely class contribution.
  • Options
    It's OK to say, let's judge at the end of the season, but that's not the whole story. I would be prepared to judge on results at the end of the season provided that in the meantime, the boo boys just shut up and decide instead to support the team through thick and thin. There's a lot of us repeatedly saying that the team need us to be behind them to help build their confidence and help them through the nervous patches. That gets ignored and Parky gets the blame, which seems unfair to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]

And also remember that, if this general negativity had been listened to in 1935, 1985 and 1997, you would be supporting a very different football club in 2010.

As Stig says, this summary by Chizz just cant be topped.
    Well done Sir.
    I take my hat off to you

Now post it on all the moaning Parky out threads.
    If necessary, just keep posting it ad infinitum in the same way the ''He should never have been appointed'' stuck-record posts keep appearing in a bid to justify themselves!
  • Options
    he should never have been appointed in the first place in my opinion ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dont rate parky as a manager ,on saturday he got lucky maybe he deserves a bit of luck?,still think its time for a change and parky knows if we dont start to go on a run he is on borrowed time.
  • Options
    Phil Parkinson's managerial career
    Charlton 24-11-2008 to Present P99 W37 L31 D31

Alan Pardew's managerial career
    Charlton 26-12-2006 to 22-11-2008 P89 W28 L35 D26

Les Reed's managerial career
    Charlton 14-11-2006 to 23-12-2006 P7 W1 L5 D1

Iain Dowie's managerial career
    Charlton 30-05-2006 to 13-11-2006 P15 W4 L8 D3

Alan Curbishley's Managerial Career
    Charlton 24-07-1991 to 08-05-2006 P720 W274 L259 D187

Lennie Lawrence's managerial career
    Charlton 22-11-1982 to 10-07-1991 P393 W120 L164 D109

Ken Craggs's managerial career
    Charlton 02-06-1982 to 22-11-1982 P15 W5 L8 D2

Allan Mullery's managerial career
    Charlton 01-07-1981 to 01-06-1982 P42 W13 L17 D12

Mike Bailey's managerial career
    Charlton 25-03-1980 to 30-06-1981 P55 W25 L19 D11

I do not see Parky being worse or better than most of our managers over the last 30 years.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Chizz said:

''It would be interesting to have seen the answers to a similar question, posed two years into the managerial careers of Charlton's longest-serving (and arguably best) managers, Jimmy Seed, Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley.''

Don't think any of them got us relegated did they? Indeed Lennie took over after Ken Craggs was sacked (following a 5-1 mauling by Rotherham) and turned it around and kept us up. The opposite of Parkinson, and so I think you are doing St Len a bit of an injustice.

Jimmy Seed took over a team that had just been relegated, got us to fifth in his first season and promoted as champions in his second.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]Chizz said:

''It would be interesting to have seen the answers to a similar question, posed two years into the managerial careers of Charlton's longest-serving (and arguably best) managers, Jimmy Seed, Lennie Lawrence and Alan Curbishley.''

Don't think any of them got us relegated did they? Indeed Lennie took over after Ken Craggs was sacked (following a 5-1 mauling by Rotherham) and turned it around and kept us up. The opposute of Parkisnon, and so I think you are doing him a bit of an injustice.

Jimmy Seed took over a team that had just been relgated, got us to fifth in his first season and promoted as champions in his second.
    as above lenny has a worse win to lose ratio than parky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Parky is a good manager. Well said Len Glover, Chizz and Stilladdicted. Hope American Addick now sees that Parky has a number of supporters who do think he is good at the job, and not simply a stop-gap.

He's not perfect, but then who is?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not a good manager at all, the team has never really been consistent, his tactical knowhow is non-existent and his general management of the team seems to have brought chaos to this club in my opinion. Hope he proves me wrong but I have yet to see him learn from past mistakes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]as above lenny has a worse win to lose ratio than parky

Winning promotion and playing most of the time two divisions above Parkinson's side.

Chizz asked a specific question about where Seed, Lawrence and Curbishley were two years into their managerships, and the answer is some considerable way ahead.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]as above lenny has a worse win to lose ratio than parky

Winning promotion and playing most of the time two divisions above Parkinson's side.
    with better players no doubt than the players we've had over parky's tenure?
  • Options
    Parky is a good manager, working in very difficult financial circumstances and under relentless pressure from supporters with totally unrealistic expectations. Not only is he expected to win every game but he is expected to do so playing quality football for 90 minutes with players of average (at best) standard. And god forbid that he or one of the players should make a mistake during a game!!

We are a 3rd Division football team, with 3rd division football players. If only people could accept that it would be so much easier for Parky and for the players. I think he has done an excellent job finding players, bringing them to the club and motivating them to constantly keep trying to win games. He is, without doubt, an excellent man manager and if he is given time i firmly believe he will turn into a very good manager for us. He's not there yet, but he will get there. I believe that Richard Murray understands all of this and will allow Parky to finish the extremely difficult job that he has started so well.
  • Options
    Well the Lawrence/Parkinson analogy is interesting.

Lennie took over from Ken Crggs on Nov 22, 1982 after we had been beaten 5-1 at home.

Parky took over Pardew on Nov 22, 2008 after we had beaten by 5-2 at home.

Sadly , there the parallel ends. One kept us up and the other took us down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]

with better players no doubt than the players we've had over parky's tenure?

I'm sorry but the financial situation when Lennie and (probably Curbs too) took over was considerably worse (in relation to the opposition we were playign at the time, if not in real terms) than when Parky took over.

To suggest that, in some way Parky has had a tougher time, and therefore his achievements are comparable, is frankly insulting the efforts of the former. Under the former we could all see we were improving and moving forward. Under PP, regardless of his better qualities of which there may be many, you simply cannot say the same.
  • Options
    What Red Pete says.

Maybe a few people on here can digest.

We have just won away from home and we have nonsense, unneccesary threads like this.

70 odd posts on a winning match thread - what was it last week 200 odd?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    I'm sorry but the financial situation when Lennie and (probably Curbs too) took over was considerablyworse(in relation to the opposition we were playign at the time, if not in real terms) than when Parky took over.

To suggest that, in some way Parky has had a tougher time, and therefore his achievements are comparable, is frankly insulting the efforts of the former.

Exactly, BA. My point was not to denigrate Parkionson but to defend Lawrence against an injustice.

When he took over in comparable circs in 1982, he had less money and a far worse squad than Parky had in 2008. But he kept us up , which Parkisnon could not.

I don't want to critisice PP. But nobody can say, ''oh well, Lennie was just as poor in his first couple of years''.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]
    We have just won away from home and we have nonsense, unneccesary threads like this.

Er.... this is the most encouraging thread for a while Southend.
    I thought I was the only one who could see the bigger picture, but clearly, thanks to this thread, there are others who share the perspective, including RM, I guess.
    Thankfully they are very articulate, not that any of the nay sayers have come up with anythng resembling a counter argument beyond the usual banalities.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite] Not only is he expected to win every game but he is expected to do so playing quality football for 90 minutes with players of average (at best) standard. We are a 3rd Division football team, with 3rd division football players.

........playing against other 3 division players. its not a great deal to ask that we try and get the ball down and play is it?!....we give the ball to our full backs who clip it 50 yards down the line, thats not good football. we have good players, which is probably parkys best attribute in getting these players to come to the club. he just doesnt know how to use them to their full potential.

is that not a fair point floyd montana, as it appears everything has to be okay'd by you on this thread.
  • Options
    First thing I'd say, Parky has a good eye for a player who also has the right character. Look at the 3 managers before him. Dowie did not. Reed we don't know what he'd have signed, but he was never a manager. Pardew got it completely wrong after relegation from the Prem.

Without being able to sign the right players, a good motivator and/or tactician might do well with a previous managers squad, but once he starts making his own signings it can all go wrong.

Much of how we all rate Parky (or not) comes down to what we think the squad is capable of. As I've said before, I think Pardew's 08/09 squad was terribly unbalanced. Pardew and many of us, me included, thought promotion was a possibility with that squad. Looking back we were wrong, and in most cases the players have now found their real level. A very good manager could have got more points, Curbs for example, but most managers would have struggled with that squad. It needed a clear out and that couldn't be done until the summer.

This season and last season other clubs around us had teams and individual players just as good as ours IMO, we just (understandably) know a lot less about them. That's why we could hope for, but not expect automatic promotion last season. It was a possibility, but other clubs were good enough to challenge us. Had we beaten Leeds away from home, we'd have finished 2nd. That one game doesn't mean Grayson is a much better manager than Parky does it. You have to judge a manager and players on their season overall. The objective was promotion, he did fail to achieve that, but we were almost as close as you could get.

This season we have a squad capable of getting the play-offs, despite it's weaknesses. It will be hard as plenty of other clubs will be thinking the same. If Parky makes the play-offs he'd have done a very good job this season. If he doesn't, he'll be out of contract and someone else will probably have a go. I just hope any future manager isn't like Dowie or Pardew, someone who can probably impress in an interview, talks about their ambition and how their sides play good football, but isn't able to carry it out.

On his weaknesses, I'm not convinced a lack of motivation is the issue. This season we score plenty of late goals, they keep trying throughout the match. Brighton we were beaten tactically by a confident side on form and top of the table. Only have to look at the table to see how close it is, almost everyone else is inconsistent and getting results in games they would expect to win.

Tactics yes he doesn't always get them right, but again it's the same for plenty of other managers in this league. There are enough examples when he has made the correct decisions when it comes to tactics, line ups and subs etc.

Very few managers will get it right every time at this level. Same goes for players, they sometimes just have a bad game or make an individual error. Sometimes it's nothing to do with motivation or tactics. It's the same at other clubs in this league, which is why despite our unconvincing performances are only 3 points off second.

Both sides for and against Parky can overreact, every defeat is a sign that Parky isn't good enough, and every win is a sign that Parky is turning things around. Last season the reality was somewhere in between, and that's probably the case now. Murray is going to give him time, he is not going to panic over the odd bad result here and there. Can only really see two ways he'll go before the end of his contract, a really terrible run or a takeover with new owners that want their own manager.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]
    We have just won away from home and we have nonsense, unneccesary threads like this.[/quote]

Er.... this is the most encouraging thread for a while Southend.
    I thought I was the only one who could see the bigger picture, but clearly, thanks to this thread, there are others who share the perspective, including RM, I guess.
    Thankfully they are very articulate, not that any of the nay sayers have come up with anythng resembling a counter argument beyond the usual banalities.[/quote]

Dont you just like a message board snob!!! We all have differing opinions mate, it would be dull on here if we didnt! But to call people banal just because they differ from yours is a tad childish!! Opinions are like arseholes...etc..etc!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]70 odd posts on a winning match thread - what was it last week 200 odd?

313 at Carlisle, 14000 plus v Brighton. There are going to be less posts as there were less fans there.
  • Options
    Can't quote again why? anyway
    I think at this level signing good players is less important than organising them and that's why I don't rate him. I also believe that his naturally cautious outlook isn't suited to the squad that we have; no amount of a lead is ever enough for us to sit back on, but we keep getting caught out

I agree with that to a certain extent but you need the players who have that bit extra quality in their locker.What amazes me is Poyet's eye for a player.This is a manager who shifted out our top scorer in Forster over a contract dispute which cause alot of unrest amongst us.That was a brave decision to take and in the end Poyet was proved right.
    When the season finished he had a good clear out and obviously had a list of players he went after.How do you persuade players like Sparrow,Greer and Calderon to stay or sign? Simple we offered long contract terms which really appeals to players.I think Sparrow was offered a 1 year deal at Scunny in the championship but we offered 3 years.
    Getting back to the point the players we had on loan we signed up in the summer.It gives Gus a good look at the player and obviously the player will have a taste of our set up. Gus has made alot of changes to our team so you really need good quailty players to work with.The team that beat you were nearly all signed by Gus.

Calderon Gus Signing
    Painter Gus
    Casper Gus
    Greer Gus

Nearly a complete new defence

Sparrow Gus
    Kish Gus
    LuaLua Gus
    Barnes Gus.

In 18 months he has transformed our first team and got them gelling very quickly.He did this by taking our boys to Portugal mainly for bonding and team spirit.Normally we have pre-season at home and i thought we took this approach as a cheap option.
    Anyway good win for you lot up north and i bloody hope you beat Wednesday.I would love to see both of us go up and i was very suprised to read that Parky has only lost 8 games in 46.That is a very good record and so you should deffo stick with him.You just need to tighten your defence up.
  • Options
    Large

110 posts following more dissapointing results at Tranmere and Huddersfield with similiar shite away numbers.

I wonder if there were certain people posting on those threads who didnt go to the match but wanted a moan....