Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Does anyone actually believe that Parky is a good manager?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]A Ripley's moment -- Saturday is Parky's 100th match in-charge at Charlton.

Does that include his time as caretaker?

It's on the Official Site, and doesn't say.
    We're also two goals shy of 5,000 in the league. Let's hope we're not two goals shy tomorrow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Oddly not the view of the happy clappies when we made our winning start to last season.
    You're right, the happy clappers will only ever see a positive side.

There's a difference between being a happy clapper and a fan of Parky.

Last season the Parky haters/realists whatever thought we had a brilliant squad and an awful manager. I thought we had both a good squad and good manager for this league, but both had their weaknesses that meant we weren't quite good enough to win the league.
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]And if we'd drawn games against Carlisle and Notts we'd have 4 less, so not sure this is valid.
    Point really was that whatever happens in the first 10 games or so, there was always going to be doubts over Parky. That won't change unless he wins promotion, and even then some would still want him out.
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I think the real issue is that many people don't think losing against Exeter and Shrews (after being 3 up), getting absolutely battered by Brighton and drawing against Dagenham constitutes "ok". Maybe I've got a touch of the rose tints myself, but I think my club and the team that they can put out, are way better than that.

I guess after years of mismanagement I've just had enough of being told that I really ought to be more measured and waiting for yet more failure (at which point someone will be making some new excuses anyway).
    Maybe but they're usually the same people who insisted towards the end of 08/09 that performances weren't important, results were. Now they aren't happy with performances and aren't so bothered about the result. It's a balance we all want I suppose. Results give hope but performances help to convince that we we are heading in the right direction.

I think most agreed a start to the season like last year was unlikely and was not expected. I agree this team are capable of more, I just expected us to be around the play offs at this point and that's where we are.

It was often said last season the signs were there that Parky wasn't good enough and we'd soon drop out of the play offs, it never happened though. Parky should get us in the play offs as a minimum and if he doesn't then it won't be good enough.

As I've said before I'm not saying Parky must stay. If a clearly better manager is available to us then that's fine. I just don't think we should gamble on someone completely unproven or with a similarly mixed record to Parky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As I've said before I'm not saying Parky must stay. If a clearly better manager is available to us then that's fine. I just don't think we should gamble on someone completely unproven or with a similarly mixed record to Parky

Most decisions are gambles. The outcome is seldom guaranteed. But that shouldn't stop us using judgement and experience to take a calculated risk.

Where would you put someone like Graham Westley of Stevenage on your 'completely unproven or with a similarly mixed record to Parky' scale?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]As I've said before I'm not saying Parky must stay. If a clearly better manager is available to us then that's fine. I just don't think we should gamble on someone completely unproven or with a similarly mixed record to Parky

Most decisions are gambles. The outcome is seldom guaranteed. But that shouldn't stop us using judgement and experience to take a calculated risk.

Where would you put someone like Graham Westley of Stevenage on your 'completely unproven or with a similarly mixed record to Parky' scale?
    Don't disagree with that. A promising manager at a smaller club is fine with me if the board are confident he'd do a good job. I don't know enough about him, but there's a few like him who could be good managers for us in the future. Holdsworth I think was another mentioned.

It was the suggestions of Ince, Sousa, Blackwell, Powell etc I don't think are worth taking a gamble on in our position. I think they'd be bigger gambles than sticking with Parky.
  • Options
    simple answer

NO
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]simple answer

NO
    I was going to try and come up with a coherent argument, but you're correct that's all she wrote. He's an effing terrible manager that's relegated us without a fight, that's failed to get an expensive squad promoted and is failing to make his "own team" click. The excuses sicken me to be honest. Yes any alternative is a gamble but a gamble is all you've got when you're in a downward spiral that will get no better. I'd hate to be on a bus with some of the people on here if the driver collapsed and it was heading for a cliff. If anybody tried to take the controls you'd get a chorus of whining, "oooh well who could do better some foreigner who's never driven a bus in Britain that's about to fall off a cliff <aside even when said foreigner is subsequently awarded driver of the year they'd scoff that they had a newer bus with more to spend on it, even if that's plainly a self-serving lie>? I don't think so. How do you know the bus won't float, last year the bus was in midair for 3.2 seconds by this stage, bloody "realist/boo boys are the main problem. More positivity and this bus would be the best bus in the whole wide world.".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]simple answer

NO
    I was going to try and come up with a coherent argument, but you're correct that's all she wrote. He's an effing terrible manager that's relegated us without a fight, that's failed to get an expensive squad promoted and is failing to make his "own team" click. The excuses sicken me to be honest. Yes any alternative is a gamble but a gamble is all you've got when you're in a downward spiral that will get no better. I'd hate to be on a bus with some of the people on here if the driver collapsed and it was heading for a cliff. If anybody tried to take the controls you'd get a chorus of whining, "oooh well who could do better some foreigner who's never driven a bus in Britain that's about to fall off a cliff <aside even when said foreigner is subsequently awarded driver of the year they'd scoff that they had a newer bus with more to spend on it, even if that's plainly a self-serving lie>? I don't think so. How do you know the bus won't float, last year the bus was in midair for 3.2 seconds by this stage, bloody "realist/boo boys are the main problem. More positivity and this bus would be the best bus in the whole wide world.".

I must drink more alcohol before posting, seems much more fun!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]He's an effing terrible manager that's relegated us without a fight, that's failed to get an expensive squad promoted and is failing to make his "own team" click. The excuses sicken me to be honest. Yes any alternative is a gamble but a gamble is all you've got when you're in a downward spiral that will get no better. I'd hate to be on a bus with some of the people on here if the driver collapsed and it was heading for a cliff. If anybody tried to take the controls you'd get a chorus of whining, "oooh well who could do better some foreigner who's never driven a bus in Britain that's about to fall off a cliff <aside even when said foreigner is subsequently awarded driver of the year they'd scoff that they had a newer bus with more to spend on it, even if that's plainly a self-serving lie>? I don't think so. How do you know the bus won't float, last year the bus was in midair for 3.2 seconds by this stage, bloody "realist/boo boys are the main problem. More positivity and this bus would be the best bus in the whole wide world.".
    Yeah, but it's more like the brakes have failed and the bus is heading for the cliff, while the driver is still at the wheel. Some people are saying it's all the driver's fault and we should throw him off the bus, while others are saying "hang on a minute, is there anyone else on the bus who can drive the damn thing?"
  • Options
    Maybe this is a reason not to let druggies on the late night bus, as in fact its just going to Stockwell depot.
    Yes there are roadworks on the South Circular, but no need to panic, we will get there, even with the panicking passengers kicking off
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    Yeah, but it's more like the brakes have failed and the bus is heading for the cliff, while the driver is still at the wheel. Some people are saying it's all the driver's fault and we should throw him off the bus, while others are saying "hang on a minute, is there anyone else on the bus who can drive the damn thing?"

Great analogy turnaround, Ali!
  • Options
    So I guess this thread goes quiet until the next defeat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is a middle way.

I think he works hard and obviously spent a lot of time negotiating and wheeling and dealing to put this year's squad together and getting Jackson, Reid, Abbott, Francis, Doherty and Benson can't have been easy. The comment from players is positive - Benson has written about his management style in recent weeks, Dailly is a fan and I can't believe those players signed purely because we offered them more money than they were currently getting or more than other teams were prepared to pay. I'd assume that Parky was able to win them over by demonstrating that he had some idea of how to use them. Today's match also showed him at his best - you couldn't fault the tactics or strategy and he got everything right.

On the negative side he tends to be a little conservative in his thinking - and I wonder if he has an effective plan b in his thinking and whether he can turn things around when plan a isn't working. His tendancy to be a little reactive in his use of substitutions bears that out. How often do you see a change leading to a goal, and more often he tends to make changes after we've conceded. We have dropped too many points against weaker teams this year who have shown an aptitude to fight when we have tried to be a bit too clinical. But as long as the results go our way then I'm happy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]So I guess this thread goes quiet until the next defeat

Nah. This is the thread to say why you think Parky is actually a good manager, and not just a good bloke who is all that we can afford. Or not.
  • Options
    Let's be honest at league one your not going to find a perfect manager.

Parky obviously has a good relationship with the squad, players keep mentioning that time and time again.

Coming back from a 4 nil home defeat and delivering 2 wins is impressive. I said weeks ago Parky will get us promoted, although I admit after the Brighton game I was pessimistic. Time will tell but this year is full of teams of the same level. But I think we do have that bit extra in quality that some teams lack, as seen today....
  • Options
    Cant wait for him to stick it up all you haters arses and get us promoted... no doubt that wont be good enough either...
  • Options
    expectations on both sides of this debate are far to high, as long as we continue to have these expectations this club will struggle
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Cant wait for him to stick it up all you haters arses and get us promoted... no doubt that wont be good enough either...

Not wrong there. Last week there were a few comments setting the scene just in case we do go up.
  • Options
    He's made mistakes, lot's of them, but who hasn't ? He's got some big faults that he needs to recognise and then iron out.
    If he can do that I'll be happy to see him stay. The Brighton defeat could prove to be the making of him. Two wins and five goals is a great turn around. Now let's see if he can keep it up. I think so long as people are seeing positive progress they will be happy for him to stay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Cant wait for him to stick it up all you haters arses and get us promoted... no doubt that wont be good enough either...

he would need to win the champions league for me :-)
  • Options
    Parky may not be the best manager in the country, but he's certainly not the worst. In fact, he's the eighth-best.

Here's the top 12:

Dave Jones
    Gus Poyet
    Nigel Adkins
    Peter Taylor
    Mark Yates
    Nigel Clough
    Carlo Ancelotti
    Phil Parkinson
    Paul Buckle
    Paul Dickov
    Roy Hodgson
    Sir Alex Ferguson

For workings, see here.
  • Options
    That calls for a new chant:

"We all agree, Parky is better than Fergie!"

Let's hear you then...;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can honestly say that is something I never expected to read. Blimey.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]That calls for a new chant:

"We all agree, Parky is better than Fergie!"

Let's hear you then...;-)[/quote]

Or alternatively "Give us a P........p.......A.........a..........R.............r........"etc. And yes I think he is a good manager.
  • Options
    Sorry Chizz but you've really out-shone yourself there.

If you put together a table which had four premiership and six champitonship teams in it, you could then argue that charlton are actually only 10 places away from winning the premiership. European qualification here we come!!!!
  • Options
    Not MY list. It's the top managers list from the League Managers Association.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's the most hilarious nonsense I've read on here. Parky is the 8th best manager in the country according to a random list that excludes a number of fairly prominent candidates (Wenger, Redknap, Coyle, Colin Wanker), that takes no account of the games being played (the prem is less of an even playing field than League 2), that is based on some kind of hybrid of this season and last, that rates draws as half as good as wins and has a key that doesn't correspond to most of the lines in the table. Genuinely funny. I imagine Man U will be beating our doors down to get Parky in as a successor to sir.

In other news I'm rated the 9th best spaceman in the world, three places ahead of Col. Buzz Aldrin.
  • Options
    In the last month, Greg Abbott, Danny Wilson, Paul Sturrock and Gary Johnson would probably argue that he's pretty good.
  • Options
    That's the most hilarious nonsense I've read on here.

You should try reading some of the Parky out rants, then.
  • Options
    Spoke to an ex-player yesterday that wasn't too complimentary about him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Spoke to an ex-player yesterday that wasn't too complimentary about him.
    Obviously you're not going to say who but it wouldn't happen to be a player that Parky didn't play very often would it?