Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA's message to the world today

Comments

• Options
    plus Rissia doesnt have the loose cannon press corps we have here.
    Why couldnt Murdoch's rags and Panorama and the ineffective fool have delayed his self aggrandaisement until after the bid was announced?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]so we might have another go in 2030 !!!!!!!!!!! shame, would have loved to see it here. Mind you gives all the antiEnglish a few laughs dosnt it ? i mean even the ones on here.

I hope we don't - it'll only end up in us being embarassed again. Feck the lot of them!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]plus Rissia doesnt have the loose cannon press corps we have here.
    Why couldnt Murdoch's rags and Panorama and the ineffective fool have delayed his self aggrandaisement until after the bid was announced?

I think the votes were in the bag long before the Panorama programme was aired.
  • Options
    With 2022 in Qatar, it means FIFA can take contol of beer sales without those nasty independent local bars making a profit on the tournament. They can then sell exclusive rights to one of their 'football family' sponsers who then get a monopoly on the market.

Expect to see FIFA controlled beer tents with a choice of Budweiser and erm.. Budweiser.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ha ha, as if they care what's on bloody Panorama - no one watches it here any more, let alone on the continent. Fifa only watch Canal+ and Dave Ja Vu. Fact ;-)
  • Options
    As I said on post #75- Breakaway World Football Organization anybody?
  • Options
    One point that hasn't been mentionned on here yet is the environmental imapct of a World Cup in Qatar. I don't know the facts exactly but haven't they proposed building 10 temporary fully air-conditioned stadiums with artificial wind and rain. If that isn't a waste of resources then I don't know what is. I'm in a good mind to write to environmental groups about this (after taking the time to get my facts straight).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]One point that hasn't been mentionned on here yet is the environmental imapct of a World Cup in Qatar. I don't know the facts exactly but haven't they proposed building 10 temporary fully air-conditioned stadiums with artificial wind and rain. If that isn't a waste of resources then I don't know what is. I'm in a good mind to write to environmental groups about this (after taking the time to get my facts straight).

Don't worry about getting your facts right Jimmy, it sounds good enough to me - was just about to post the same thimng.

Can you imagine the carbon footprint of building so many new stadiums - air conditioned stadiums - in the middle of the bloody desert? It doesn't bear thinking about. Russia too, to a certain extent.

But feck all that eh. The Qatari's will probably just buy the Australian outback and engineer a rainforest slap bank in the middle by way of a carbon offset - money clearly is no object to them. Jack Warner's construction company will probably be in line for a contract somewhere along the line too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]As I said on post #75- Breakaway World Football Organization anybody?

I'm in - where do I sign?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]One point that hasn't been mentionned on here yet is the environmental imapct of a World Cup in Qatar. I don't know the facts exactly but haven't they proposed building 10 temporary fully air-conditioned stadiums with artificial wind and rain. If that isn't a waste of resources then I don't know what is. I'm in a good mind to write to environmental groups about this (after taking the time to get my facts straight).

Interesting fact I heard today... not only does Qatar have one of, if not the, highest GDP per capita in the world (for example ranked 3rd in CIA world factbook 2009), it is also the highest country in the world in carbon emissions per capita, i.e. the biggest single polluter per person in the world.

Let's overlook the fact that they are staging a world cup in a country with a population of less than 9 x nou camp, an area of less than the falkland islands and a fifa world ranking of 113, which is proposing inflatable, disposable, air conditioned stadiums with snow machines and wind tunnels... they aren't even bothering to try to explain how they are going to magic 13 new stadiums, 2 million new hotel rooms and god knows what else without making China envious of its environmental disdain!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the plus side, once there, the transport emissions would be minimal, because Qatar is so small. Compared to Australia or America...
  • Options
    I think it's about time we gave up on The World Cup after what we have seen today. Not because we didn't win the bid - we didn't deserve to.
    We have a Football association run by complete morons , but because they they gave the world cup 2022 to a country with the population of that same size as Glasgow and country that has 0% football credibility. Forget the fact that we didn't get it , the reason the decision to give the World cup to Qatar the same day as the 2018 bid was distraction. They new all the discussion would be about 2018 while the disgraceful decision to give it to a country that will fill the pockets of Disgusting thieves like Jack Warner. Fuck all of them. They aren't worth it.I'm all for a break away and so should anybody who cares about out game.
  • Options
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23766515-2012-budget-now-pound-12bn.do

In reponse to Off it :

1. The linked article above suggests that the Olympics are one third over budget although admittedly it is a year old.

2. Tickets may well be cheap for synchronised swimming and the like which have a limited market but events that people want to see eg 100 metres final etc will not be accessible to ordinary people I fancy.

3. It's not that don't want the World Cup per se. I am a football fan and would far rather spend £7 billion on a World Cup than bailing out a currency we are not part of for example. However the reality is that, as a country, we are strapped for cash and frankly there are more deserving things on which to spend limited public resources.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]On the plus side, once there, the transport emissions would be minimal, because Qatar is so small. Compared to Australia or America...

Talking of transport perhaps the others studied our track record of getting people around by public transport the moment snow falls or leaves fall off trees.

It would be more than embarrassing to have hordes of football fans sitiing in traffic jams and stationary trains.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]On the plus side, once there, the transport emissions would be minimal, because Qatar is so small. Compared to Australia or America...

Talking of transport perhaps the others studied our track record of getting people around by public transport the moment snow falls or leaves fall off trees.

It would be more than embarrassing to have hordes of football fans sitiing in traffic jams and stationary trains.

Yeah . Thats the reason we didnt get the world cup . Come on mate get real.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Err the WC is going to held in summer not winter, or even autumn. Leaves falling off trees, or the wrong type of snow shouldn't be a factor in June.

Still we have a royal wedding to look forward to - I seem to remember everyone talking about the benefit that would bring to tourism in the UK, yet a WC or the Olympics are apparently white elephants...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23766515-2012-budget-now-pound-12bn.do

In reponse to Off it :

1. The linked article above suggests that the Olympics are one third over budget although admittedly it is a year old.

2. Tickets may well be cheap for synchronised swimming and the like which have a limited market but events that people want to see eg 100 metres final etc will not be accessible to ordinary people I fancy.

3. It's not that don't want the World Cup per se. I am a football fan and would far rather spend £7 billion on a World Cup than bailing out a currency we are not part of for example. However the reality is that, as a country, we are strapped for cash and frankly there are more deserving things on which to spend limited public resources.

Hard luck mate, the Olympics are on schedule and within the budget of £9.3bn.

But you need to get with the programme - when Ken Livingstone was London Mayor the Olympics were a bad thing - now Boris is mayor the Tory press think they are a good thing.

Didn't you get the memo?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    After giving about 5 or 6 hours and after a trip to the pub i still cant believe weve lost by an embrassing result the presentation was fantastic
    the stadium are allready now but for some reason not enough for Blatter
    How Qatar got the world cup i will never know i agree with sharing it around because it is a world cup but some country wouldnt be acceptable, for political, war torn or weather conditions reasons
    Playing indoors, football isnt an indoor sport,
    We might aswell offer 2026 to Iran or Afghanstan because they would get more votes than us
    Overall Joke never really liked international football and this is the icing on the top
    feel sorry for everyone who tried so hard who tried to bring football home
  • Options
    Not to mention it will be interesting if Israel qualify in 2022! Seeing as they aren't even recognised as a country there... will they be allowed through customs?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA's got a good point. Once built there shouldn't be any problem getting from one ground to the next - they"ll be walking distance from each other.

Ah, but it's the middle of the desert and therefore bleedin hot. Best order that cab after all !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]IA's got a good point. Once built there shouldn't be any problem getting from one ground to the next - they"ll be walking distance from each other.

They could hold the World Cup in Dundee.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My suggestion for 2026 is a combined bid from the West Indies.
    They already have the airports, cruise ships and all-inclusives.
    Jack Warner could build new stadiums on each island with capacities larger than the total populations. That'll come in handy for Fifa cronies because the locals won't be able to buy tickets.
    Why hasn't Warner already thought about this?

As insane as that would be, it still makes more sense than Qatar.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]My suggestion for 2026 is a combined bid from the West Indies.
    They already have the airports, cruise ships and all-inclusives.
    Jack Warner could build new stadiums on each island with capacities larger than the total populations. That'll come in handy because the locals won't be able to buy tickets.
    Why hasn't Warner already thought about this?
    You don't think he has?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]plus Rissia doesnt have the loose cannon press corps we have here.

I think the votes were in the bag long before the Panorama programme was aired.

Agreed it wasnt solely the Panorama mess - (which would have had far more impact if it was aired this week), but the UK press in general.

Arguably the most honourable FIFA chap, from Japan, has stated very clearly that the UK press and its attitude was a central theme running through their meetings.
    Allegedly, according to other sources, Blatter was handing round examples of UK press coverage in the hour before the vote.
  • Options
    world player of the year is decided by each FIFA countries manager. over 200. Why isnt the World Cup host decided in the same manner by each nations head of FA.

Not by 22 people, including countries like Tahiti and Nigeria.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]As I said on post #75- Breakaway World Football Organization anybody?

Ya boo sucks ! I said it on # 22. ;0)
  • Options
    Floyd, if the reason we lost it is because FIFA don't like a free press, then what the feck are we doing in FIFA in the first place?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]IA's got a good point. Once built there shouldn't be any problem getting from one ground to the next - they"ll be walking distance from each other.

Ah, but it's the middle of the desert and therefore bleedin hot. Best order that cab after all !

Could get a white burqa for the walk, long flowing garments let air circulate around and cool you down.

The cab in Doha still has less of an impact on the environment than the cab-plane-cab from Perth to Sydney or New York to Miami
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Not to mention it will be interesting if Israel qualify in 2022! Seeing as they aren't even recognised as a country there... will they be allowed through customs?!

I read somewhere that Israeli tennis players have played in Qatar. I think it was an issue for FIFA, and (like with everything else), the Qatari bid team said sure, not a problem, let's do that.