Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA's message to the world today

Comments

• Options
    Apart from the obvious dodgy FIFA reasons the thing that makes me sad are purely selfish.
    I was born in 1968 , 2 years after the last time it was held here and it looks like I'm likely to be dead by the time we get it again ( if we ever do) and having two young boys i SO wanted to go to a world cup game with them in our own country . That look very unlikely now unless Brazil make a balls up and even if that happens can you see Blatter handing it over to us?
  • Options
    QATAR could balls iot up then FIFA would have to go to country equipped to run the touynament at the drop of a hat. So Germany it will be then!!!!
  • Options
    The next three World Cups - Brazil, Russia and Qatar are all being held in countries where considerable amounts of money will have to be spent on transport and footballing infrastructure.
  • Options
    No doubt Panorama was totally unfair to these poor chaps. The BBC is in for one hell of a legal payout as there is no way whatsoever that these poor misunderstood hard working FIFA family types will sue for millions of pounds. The writ must already be on its way to the BBC as we speak. Surely they will !! Won't they?....................................
  • Options
    I blame tony blair, the rest of the world hate us (more than they ever did) due to the Iraq invasion, probably why we lose eurovision, that and all the stag dos that go to E.Europe nowadays, oh and of course our travelling football (hoolies) that have been the scourge of nearly every major football international tournament for the last 30 years?..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]fecking IA you are being ever more argumentive than me and OFF-IT put together.

Hahaha :-)
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]IA give it a rest we get the message that u dnt think that the English are very good at anything--just out of intrest what does the galic script on ur log in details mean?

England is the home of football end of.

Eh, no. Where did I give that impression? I don't see why people wanted to host the World Cup especially since the bid involved five white elephants. I was all for it until I realised how much building work had to be done in grounds that weren't selling out anyway. Considering that Qatar were able to put together a winning bid with their one city, then the England bid could and should have loaded the bid with London grounds, instead of the Plymouth/MK/Bristol stuff.

The other thing is that even if those 5 people voted for England, it wouldn't have been enough to win, and we'd be having exactly the same conversation now. FIFA are corrupt, and the resource-rich Russia and Qatar got the World Cups probably because they knew where to put the money and were able to promise to build the grounds entirely out of their own money and not the sponsorship. But that shouldn't hide the fact that 2 votes is embarrassing for a country with this quality of existing infrastructure, and it's not because the FIFA people were all glued to Panorama either.

But still, better to spend the money on roads, schools, hospitals etc than on brand new grounds for Bristol City and MK Dons to half fill.

It's a name.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Think of a hole at the bottom of which are sharpened spikes http://j.mp/bqJ6sF
  • Options
    Good article.Click here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Good article.Click here

Before we go accusing Fifa of corruption we need to look at the "bung" culture in the British game. We are hardly total innocents when it comes to corruption.

Unfortunately it's always the individual - the ordinary football fan who ultimately suffers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there a more ignorant nation than the russians , they must be the rudest most self centred ignorant people I have ever come across in my travels
    I wouldn't fancy going out there , they have no people skills and are so stuck up their own backsides it scares me
    Just like Qatar the humongous (oil) wealth is in the hands of a few and as for the rest they don't give a flying fook about their fellow citizens
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]Is there a more ignorant nation than the russians , they must be the rudest most self centred ignorant people I have ever come across in my travels
    I wouldn't fancy going out there , they have no people skills and are so stuck up their own backsides it scares me
    Just like Qatar the humongous (oil) wealth is in the hands of a few and as for the rest they don't give a flying fook about their fellow citizens
    Interesting. Every Russian I've ever met has been warm, erudite and friendly. I find their culture a bit dull, but they probably say the same thing about mine. Maybe it's you and not them?
  • Options
    Qatar will be intresting. a year ago when i was out there as there was some UN thing i was trurfed out my 5 star hotel and put in the Olympic vilage -yes that rights its built !i was on floor 34 of a tripple columed building is huge. The fire alarm would go off at random times and the phones and lifts worked when they felt like it. I told ExxonMobil and was moved. The new EM building is next to the Qatar Olympic office building.

I counted 84 tower cranes on one side of our building when bored one day and its still like that even though Dubai has hit a rought time. Ten years ago it was just a desert--in 12 years time God knows what it will look like but im sure it will be intresting.

Forcasters say 20% ofthe worlds LNG will be coming from Qatar----------------money is no object with regard to building works.

Nice to see that well known lover of all things English (well the money) Roy Kean is telling us to shut up and get on with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]---money is no object with regard to building works...

Except when it comes to wrokers rights.
  • Options
    Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow's NOTW allegations?
  • Options
    I've been reading these threads and the press over the last couple of days with interest, so for what it's worth here are my thoughts;

- It is not a disgrace in itself that Russia was awarded 2018, it's a massive country with footballing pedigree that hasn't hosted a major championship. The major scandal is the Qatar success

- FIFA for all its talk of the good the game does has chosen to reward the two least open societies in the process. Andrew Jennings may need to be careful chasing the money trail in Russia as they are not averse to bumping of the odd journalists who asks awkward questions

- Never underestimate the power of politics at FIFA, Platini aims to be the next president, Blatter aims to say on, Qatari Mohammed Bin Hamman heads a powerful voting block, Mohammed Bin Hamman wants a Qatari world cup, Blatter recommends bid to executive committee, Platini and several European allies vote for said absurd Qatari bid.

- The vote trading between supporters of the Spain/Portugal bid and the Qatar bid is an absolute disgrace, a cynic might suggest the reason for the dual bidding was to allow Qatar to horse trade and succeed with their ridiculous bid

- Did I mention that the award to Qatar is a joke, I can understand the desire to take it to an Arab country (don’t agree with it but can understand) but Iran is mental and the North African Arab countries didn't bid so it should have been a non starter. You can't start awarding it to City states, that's just taking the piss

- Having said all of that I don’t understand the sympathy for the USA bid, they had it in 94 why would they deserve it less than 30 years later?

- Any talk of a breakaway is pointless, all of the major footballing countries with the exception of Holland and Argentina have had their back scratched in the in the last 30 years. Don't assume the indignation felt here is shared around the rest of the world.

- The best bet for supporters fed up of being ignored in the selection process is to get involved with the Football Supporter Forum and try and form some kind of International Supporters lobby that pushes Fans interests rather than the Vanity projects of the elite. By 2022, three of the last four world cups will have been held in locations that 90% of attending supporters wouldn't have chosen

- The voting patterns for Holland and Belgium are deeply suspicious, why did two delegates vote for them in the first round then abandon them in the second when they have a better chance of success, if as rumored Platini was one of those then he needs to explain

- The fact that delegates from the footballing powerhouses of Trinidad and Cyprus wield so much power is ridiculous, they have contributed as much to the world game as Fisher Athletic. Some kind of weighting needs to be given to the countries that actually have some kind of footballing culture

- FIFA are an absolute shower of crooks but lets not lose sight of the incompetence and greed of the English FA and Premier league, they are not the heroes of this debacle. 39th game anyone?
  • Options
    The perspective down under http://tinyurl.com/Aussie2022
  • Options
    and they talk about whinging Poms?

;-)
  • Options
    1984 you are being insulting to Fisher Athletic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No surprise the cypriots voted for Russia, they are taking over the place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]---money is no object with regard to building works...

Except when it comes to wrokers rights.

And human rights. Maybe by 2022 the Qatari's will have a functioning democracy and will have given women the vote.

The good news is that gay football fans won't be persected apparently.
  • Options
    Blatter has today called England "bad losers" - fair enough and that he "was surprised by all the English complaining. England, of all people, the motherland of fairplay ideas".

He also said FIFA "is financially clean and clear".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Blatter has today called England "bad losers" - fair enough and that he "was surprised by all the English complaining. England, of all people, the motherland of fairplay ideas".

What with this and the Newcastle news, this is truly an unforgettable day in the annals of comedy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Blatter has today called England "bad losers" - fair enough and that he "was surprised by all the English complaining. England, of all people, the motherland of fairplay ideas".

The geezers a piss taking c**t. Complete cock.
  • Options
    Off it this is no time to be sitting on the fence mate. Tell us what you really think.
  • Options
    Couldn't have put it better myself, off it!
  • Options
    Can we get that custard pie bloke to give Blatter the treatment?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]The perspective down underhttp://tinyurl.com/Aussie2022
    AU$45m, Jesus what a stupid country! Have to wonder what Qatar's bid was worth, the mind boggles!
  • Options
    This cheered me up no end.

Good