Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away following!!!

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
So we sell 4200 for Spuds but take nearly 3 weeks to sell 900 for Brighton and know where near selling out Colchester!!!

Correct me if i'm wrong here but as a regular away traveller I think our supporters need to get some priority in where our ambitions lie for this season, promotion and getting decent away following in the league or a one off cup game. I find it frustrating! or am I missing something here!?!

Comments

• Options
    Pickers and choosers. Don't you just love them!
  • Options
    No, you're entirely correct. If im being positive then lets see this as opportunity to increase our away following for future games.
  • Options
    agree with you totally maybe this will encourage more ppl to go away
  • Options
    Why don't you start with Hartlepool on Saturday, there's going to be 150 of us!
  • Options
    From my point of view, not sure if it concurs with other supporters, I'm going to the Spuds game because I've never been to WHL before. I go to away games where it doesn't cost so much for me to get there and/or if it's a ground I've not been to. If we had drawn Man Utd away, I'm sure the demand for tickets would have been just as high, but I wouldn't have been bothered about it.

I've looked for ages and ages for cheap train tickets or a way of getting to Hartlepool cost-effectively but it just hasn't materialised, been Brighton and Colchester but they're both s**tholes so I have little interest in going there again. There are several away games towards the end of this season which could well be massive games for the club and I'm looking forward to them more than Tottnumb.
  • Options
    Sums it all up really.

Shouldn't you be home with the kids..Work..Family on the weekend. Can't drop everything for a game less important than the league surely..?
  • Options
    Another way of looking at it is that the club gets 50% (or close, after the FA takes its cut) of ticket sales from WHL and 0% of ticket sales from Hartlepool.

I'll hopefully be going up to Hartlepool if I can free up a bit more money, but it's not as far for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Another way of looking at it is that the club gets 50% (or close, after the FA takes its cut) of ticket sales from WHL and 0% of ticket sales from Hartlepool.

Exactly us so called plastics (see other thread) prefer to help OUR club not somebody elses!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Another way of looking at it is that the club gets 50% (or close, after the FA takes its cut) of ticket sales from WHL and 0% of ticket sales from Hartlepool.

Exactly us so called plastics (see other thread) prefer to help OUR club not somebody elses!

Im sure that's why 2,000 odd who haven't been to an away game yet are so keen to go haha...
  • Options

Let's not go overboard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rather look at the positives to be honest.

Find it incredible with the fact despite we have regressed so sharply in the last few years we could still sell 4,000+ tickets almost instantly just to basically ST holders buying 1 ticket each.

Pretty sure if that if the allocation was there and restrictions were just a little looser, we could have sold 8,000-10,000 tickets for this game, and this would be 8-10,000 Charlton fans not padded out with mates along for the day out like Old Trafford was 15 years ago.

It may not be died-in-the-wool travel every game everywhere support, but a decent core of support is still there and is something i would hope give signs of encouragement to potential new investors.
  • Options

we just want to support our team mate wherever.

And before anyone says it, i'm not a teenager and i have a full time job, a mortgage and a missus and kids.
  • Options
    i think i said previous we could take 10,000 there and sell quick ,games like this we have a tradition of selling double quick,quite impressive really
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]

Im sure that's why 2,000 odd who haven't been to an away game yet are so keen to go haha...

League away games are irrelevant to the FA CUP which is what the Tottenham game was.

I haven't been to an away game but I was at both the home FA CUP matches so I think I'm justified in going to watch us in a "big" match in the same competition.

Money is limited for many of us. I choose to save and buy season tickets and thus rarely travel away as firstly I don't have the available disposable income and secondly I have other commitments. Others choose to spend their money on away days rather than season tickets. Their choice. However season tickets benefit OUR club and in my opinion those who benefit OUR club should get first dibs when tickets are in demand but in short supply.
  • Options
    so do you think we should all stop going away and buy a mug from the gift shop instead then?
    convienient how people say they cant afford to go away but somehow manage to get to spurs away isnt it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]so do you think we should all stop going away and buy a mug from the gift shop instead then?
    convienient how people say they cant afford to go away but somehow manage to get to spurs away isnt it

It's one match, the tickets are reasonably priced and not too far to travel.
  • Options
    excellent insight AFKA cuts through this other sniping rabble very nicely
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]so do you think we should all stop going away and buy a mug from the gift shop instead then?

£20.00 for a ticket and £6.50 on your oyster card.

Big big difference to £20.00 ticket, £10.00 - £20.00 beer and food, £30.00 - £50.00 trainfare.

Add to that the fact that you can do the day in 5 hours and I think you have your answer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i think i said previous we could take 10,000 there and sell quick ,games like this we have a tradition of selling double quick,quite impressive really

Told you we wouldn't sell out Nolly :)
  • Options
    Whats the problem

As i have mentioned 100 times i have a family so local games are big games are the ONLY games i can afford to go to and im sure many on here with family's are in the same boat, local as it saves on travel expenes.

Also due to work getting time off for football is hard and takes up A/L which is the time i spend quaility time with my wife and kids

So all the talk of plastics and pickers and choosers is rather offensive and my message to you lot are fuck you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK can we please stop digging each other out.

The fans who are going to WHL are helping the club financially. The fans who go to the away league games are helping the club progress in the league. All are valuable to the club, and all are God's beautiful creatures*.

We've just sold 4,200 tickets for a game where no one even expects a draw after watching the team get beat at home by the bottom club in Division 3. There is no glory. There are no glory hunters.

I decided not to buy a ticket for WHL and use the money for the likes of Hartlepool. Others decided differently. Each to their own, and hopefully we win both matches.

Please remember that both sides are Charlton, and stop having a go at each other.

* deliberately over the top, to reflect the sniping on both sides.
  • Options
    LOYAL SUPPORTERS LOOK FORWARD TO BUMPING IN TO YOU LOT AT HARTLEPOOL ;)
  • Options
    Exactly. If the Spurs tickets had been on general sale and we'd sold them this quickly, the people talking of 'glory hunters' and 'plastics' might be able to justify their opinions a little better. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of people who've bought Spurs tickets are at least season ticket holders, and that alone means they are making a financial commitment to our club. I would think that most expectations would be to have a great day out and get behind the team on a rare occasion such as this. Many fans struggle (due to financial or other reasons) to get to away games, especially the far-away ones, and all these factors combine to make Spurs an attractive fixture for those who qualify for tickets.
  • Options
    fans struggle to get to away games??
    found it pretty easy to get spurs tickets tho didnt they? only struggle with games you dont fancy i take it like rochdale, colchester etc no doubt your b there taking the tickets if we get a playoff semi final with restricted sales
    take it ur all b at hartlepool etc will u?
    dont care what you say that is plastic, why cant we have a point system?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]dont care what you say that is plastic, why cant we have a point system?

we do don't we?

The first sale was to red card holders with 4 away games... have you got your ticket?
  • Options
    have been to over 4 away games but havent kept the stubs, payed on the gate last nite as well but whats the point anyway better off being valley gold,
    why not have points 4 how going to an away game and the further the distance the higher the point, points for season tickets/valley gold etc
    i would have made it that you needed previous away history and a season ticket instead of turn up to no away games get a ticket
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The real answer is that our away followings do not merit a points system, the cost in implementation would be disproportionate so I understand. I by no means think the system is ideal or that the club don't tend to balls up situations like this but they seem to have got it about right this time in comparison to previous occasions.

How many away games did we sell out last year? Orient, Brighton, Brentford, Millwall, Swindon in play offs... anymore?

To be fair not keeping the stubs seems to be the biggest issue here, it's just something you have to do.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Whats the problem

As i have mentioned 100 times i have a family so local games are big games are the ONLY games i can afford to go to and im sure many on here with family's are in the same boat, local as it saves on travel expenes.

Also due to work getting time off for football is hard and takes up A/L which is the time i spend quaility time with my wife and kids

So all the talk of plastics and pickers and choosers is rather offensive and my message to you lot are fuck you[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: geecare[/cite]LOYAL SUPPORTERS LOOK FORWARD TO BUMPING IN TO YOU LOT AT HARTLEPOOL ;)[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]fans struggle to get to away games??
    found it pretty easy to get spurs tickets tho didnt they? only struggle with games you dont fancy i take it like rochdale, colchester etc no doubt your b there taking the tickets if we get a playoff semi final with restricted sales
    take it ur all b at hartlepool etc will u?
    dont care what you say that is plastic, why cant we have a point system?[/quote]

Read my post beofre slagging people off narrow minded
  • Options
    behave mate you like alot of fans are there for the occasion, orient away same sort of distance how many we take to that then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mparsons1[/cite]behave mate you like alot of fans are there for the occasion, orient away same sort of distance how many we take to that then?

who is this aimed at?