Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2011 Charlton Life weight loss challenge

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]HarryHutchens, be grateful for some advice please.

When i used to go gym regularly i never paid any attention to heart rate stuff, but now i've started up again a bit older and a lot more unfit / overweight, feel i should start paying more attention to it.

Just did a basis session, cardio was 15 mins on bike, 15 mins on the treadmill (0.5% incline, 6mph so nothing crazy). Noticed at the end of the run my heartrate was 183, which struck me (with no knowledge) as high. 2 mins walking it was down to 140, another min down to 130.

Though my legs were killing me, my breathing didn't feel too bad to warrant what i presume to be a very high reading, certainly a lot less out of puff than if i was to go for a 'proper run'.

Should i ignore the heart rate stuff and just excercise like i normally do (stop when knackered), or should i be a bit more controlled about it ?

I'm 34, weight about 85 kilos. cheers

I think you take your age off the max heart of 220. Then work on a 60-70 % of your max heart rate for fat burning.
  • AFKA, 183bpm is quite high. Your max can be calculate by 220 - your age, so in your case would be 186. That would suggest you were exercising at 98% of your max heart rate!!!
    I posted an article on my FB about heart rate training not so long ago, have a read of it mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]HarryHutchens, be grateful for some advice please.

When i used to go gym regularly i never paid any attention to heart rate stuff, but now i've started up again a bit older and a lot more unfit / overweight, feel i should start paying more attention to it.

Just did a basis session, cardio was 15 mins on bike, 15 mins on the treadmill (0.5% incline, 6mph so nothing crazy). Noticed at the end of the run my heartrate was 183, which struck me (with no knowledge) as high. 2 mins walking it was down to 140, another min down to 130.

Though my legs were killing me, my breathing didn't feel too bad to warrant what i presume to be a very high reading, certainly a lot less out of puff than if i was to go for a 'proper run'.

Should i ignore the heart rate stuff and just excercise like i normally do (stop when knackered), or should i be a bit more controlled about it ?

I'm 34, weight about 85 kilos. cheers

I think you take your age off the max heart of 220. Then work on a 60-70 % of your max heart rate for fat burning.

Guiness is spot on. 60-70% HR is optimum to burn off the fat if the theory is to be believed. But to get your heart rate zones right, you need to know your resting heart rate too...
  • Blimey, so if i was still 27 like Riscardo, i'd get a bit of extra heart rate to use up !
  • Not even going to weigh myself this week - too much beer not enough gym. Going to gym tonight and hope for a much better week.
  • I lost another 3 last week so am happy with that. Now back to pre christmas fatness so this is when hard work starts.

AFKA i train quite a bit in my gym and my heart rate goes through the roof. Its very hard to train at 130-140 as i feel like im not working hard enough.

What gym are you using?
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Not even going to weigh myself this week

Avoiding scales as well. Had two decent beer ups thursday and friday, and within two and a half days had burger king, kebab, pizza, indian and two fry ups.

Seem to do 'well' for 6 or 7 days then have a mad 48 hours to take me back to square one.

[cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    What gym are you using?

One in work, and the Sidcup leisure centre.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]AFKA i train quite a bit in my gym and my heart rate goes through the roof. Its very hard to train at 130-140 as i feel like im not working hard enough.

That article I mentioned. Its specific to cycling but it applies across the board really...well worth a read IMO.

Bike Radar article on HR training
  • [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]AFKA i train quite a bit in my gym and my heart rate goes through the roof. Its very hard to train at 130-140 as i feel like im not working hard enough.

That article I mentioned. Its specific to cycling but it applies across the board really...well worth a read IMO.

Bike Radar article on HR training

Thanks JohnBoyUK - I was trying to work out all the training zones by looking at a poster on the gym wall, and couldnt make head or tail of it. This article explains it very clearly.........
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Avoiding scales as well. Had two decent beer ups thursday and friday, and within two and a half days had burger king, kebab, pizza, indian and two fry ups.

Seem to do 'well' for 6 or 7 days then have a mad 48 hours to take me back to square one.

Bloody hell - it must be worth it to have 48 hours binging like that!

Are you Ricky Hatton?
  • Sponsored links:

• when i've had a drink i get the beer equivalent of 'the munchies' !
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]when i've had a drink i get the beer equivalent of 'the munchies' !

+1 to that. Anything over 2 pints has me crying out for food afterwards.
  • I am gonna get in on this 5ft 8 or 9 - 12st 7 just coming back from a back injury (been 1-2 months light Footy training) but want to get to 11st 7 (like when I was 18! Lol
  • 7 pints = about 1200 -1400 calories
  • Tonight is the night, update later.

Week two of lighterlife under my belt.
  • edited January 2011
    OK

My first post on this thread.

For those that don't know me I take size MFB in clothes

Started a weight loss regime at the beginning of January. If I'm going to make any impression I need to lose about 4 stones by the end of March. My weigh in day will be Wednesday. Check in for updates.
  • Good luck AW
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]HarryHutchens, be grateful for some advice please.

I'm 34, weight about 85 kilos. cheers[/quote]

AFKA,

Heart rate training can be exceptionally misleading. Firstly, whichever formula is used to calculate the heart rate a person should be exercising at will be different according to the individual. It will also be different according to what type of exercise you do. For example a bike ride at maximum effort will not produce as high a heart rate as a run with maximum effort. Exercising heart rate will also be different according to what the individual has been eating/drinking/smoking, since all stimulants will affect heart rate. For me, therefore, the difficulty in ascertaining what HR should be used on any given day makes the use of HR monitors virtually irrelevant. I've not used one for around 8/9 years. What is more important is HOW YOU FEEL WHEN YOU ARE EXERCISING - or to use the technical term - your 'Rate of Percieved Exertion' (RPE). This is normally on a scale of 0-10, with 0 being the equivalent of laying on a sofa watching TV, and 10 being your RPE when being chased by two dozen rabid Millwall fans.

So, to answer your question - yes ditch the Heart rate idea, but it is a good idea to have some control over things:

Unless your doctor tells you differently, try and exercise at around a 7 on the RPE scale, or 8 if you're feeling particularly 'up for it', and 6 if you're feeling a bit sorry for yourself. Interval training might require an RPE of 9 but obviously that's only in short bursts, since recoveries would be more like a 3/4. Once you've tested yourself and decided what speed/level coincides with the appropriate RPE, then just make sure that you find a way of measuring your performance (i.e. distance covered, calories burned or time taken). Once you start measuring your performances then all you really need concern yourself with is trying to beat your previous best, since what is far, far more important than Heart Rate training is being PROGRESSIVE. You have to get your body to do something that's at least a little over and above what it can already do, if you want it to change.

To answer the other point about HR intensity and fat burning, well a myth has circulated for a number of years now that lower intensity training burns more body fat than high intensity training. There was some (flawed) research that appeared to prove this, but all the research focused on was the percentage side of things - at a low intensity we do burn a higher percentage of 'fat' calories (as opposed to Carbs), but this is a high percentage of a fairly low number. The TOTAL calories burned at higher exertion levels is greater, with even the lower percentage of 'fat' calories at the higher exertion level far outstripping the ACTUAL number of fat calories at lower intensity levels. You can fill up a car with fuel and there still won't be anywhere near as much in it as there is in a half-filled jumbo jet fuel tank. To burn the most calories we need to work as hard as we can for as long as we can.

Hope all that makes sense if not please feel free to query...
  • Update..............

Lighterlife week 2.

Lost 8lbs, 12lbs last week.

Full week ahead, then fly out to Courchevel to ski for a week in a catered chalet, now that's going to be tough.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Good luck AW
    Cheers Bart!
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done appy!
  • Thanks Curb, going to be tough when im away.

Will have to start all over again when i get back. Then away at Easter, got to be where i want to be by then.
  • Well i've taken the different approach of getting a sickness bug that had me laid up for 18 hours today. Sickness has now stopped but can't see myself looking at food for a couple of days. Someone get me the scales !
  • Sounds like you've caught anorexia. Get some help.
  • I loosely stuck to weight watchers new points system, earned back quite a few on 2 days riding to work, had 5 beers on sat, was ill on Sunday night with this nasty bug going around.

End result still managed to lose 3lb

:)
  • edited January 2011
    Weighed in. So far down 5.3% since the post Xmas/New year binge. I was hoping it would be better tbh, but we'll have to persevere and see what happens next week.
  • No booze since New Years Eve and disciplined with food (thanks to Charlton "Lighter" Life!). Dropped 16lbs so far and reached 18st this morning. Just starting the exercise this week - ooh er. The second month is always tough. Stick with it everyone.
  • At the end of the year we should all get together for a salad and some hummus washed down with some Evian*

Or a binge on Brick Lane - whichever is easiest :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]No booze since New Years Eve and disciplined with food (thanks to Charlton "Lighter" Life!). Dropped 16lbs so far and reached 18st this morning. Just starting the exercise this week - ooh er. The second month is always tough. Stick with it everyone.

Great effort mate. I did a week with no drinking and failed tragically. My first post on this thread too, I am the biggest I have ever been 13.5 stone (doesn't sound a lot but basically I am a stick apart from moobs and belly).

I hate the gym, can no longer play football or tennis because of an ACL op last autumn, so need to exercise, but if you lot can do it, I'm in.
  • CA - it's all relative. I was 19st 2lbs, so not so impressive as a percentage (6%). More next month....