Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Oh good, we have a new rival. Should be fun down at Dean Court in a few weeks

Can see the headline now. Addicks fans attacked with zimmer frames.
  • Options
    I admire the bloke for following his heart. Not many do.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Their fans hate us fir tapping him up by the looks of it.[/quote]
    Oh well. He even said himself that ALL the clubs involved behaved impeccably.
  • Options
    Fair enough that Howe chose to stay with Bournemouth, entirely reasonable - if somewhat surprising - decision by him.

He'll need to be careful though, he might just have missed the boat on a move to a bigger club with genuine Premiership potential - there are no guarantees he'll get a second chance with us or anyone else. If Bournemouth fall away this season then his star will fall pretty rapidly too.

I understand his loyalty to the club but sometimes you do have to realistic about the limitations of the club you're at, look at the way Owen Coyle jumped ship last season. It was the right move for him and if he had stayed at Burnley they might have sacked him after their inevitable relegation anyway.

Promotion for Bournemouth is pretty much an imperative for Howe now in terms of his career, if they slump back to mid-table then he will be just another lower-league manager.
  • Options
    Can't really blame him for staying.Was starting to wonder how he'd fair seeing how much they love him down there and how much he loves them.He's only 33.Plenty of time to enhance his reputation and join the merry-go-round.
    Might just be a Bournemouth man.
    Another slight concern was any type of transfer budget.Bet he's never spent more than 30 grand on a player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]He's only 33.Plenty of time to enhance his reputation and join the merry-go-round.

Indeed.

He seems like Bournemouth's very own Alan Curbishley
  • Options
    Good luck to him as he decided to stay put. He does have to be careful though because he appears to have been leading people up the garden path. I don't think you can pull that stunt very often. Yes once to show his loyalty to the team he built but clubs are going to be wary of going through all that again.
  • Options
    True, Bing ..... but it was the media circus that caused all the furore. And the Tweeters and internet message boards.

Howe had been settled at AFCB, quietly going about his job, and hadn't been pro-active in any of this - he was the one approached by Palace and Charlton; he spoke with them, weighed up the implications and then had 2 emergency meetings with his Chairman, who eventually persuaded him to stay.

He evidently wasn't ready to leave. Whether clubs are going to be wary in future, well I guess that's their look out.
    But if Howe continues to be successful, no doubt he will be approached again in future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]He's only 33.Plenty of time to enhance his reputation and join the merry-go-round.

Indeed.

EH has supported AFCB since he was a kid, where as "Our" Curbs is an 'ammer !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]He's only 33.Plenty of time to enhance his reputation and join the merry-go-round.

Indeed.

Interesting comparison, Curbishley turned down Brum and QPR in the mid-90's - as well as West Ham later on - because he was confident that Charlton had the resources and potential to reach the Premiership and stay there. He was right.

How far can Bournemouth really go? That is the question Howe is now facing, they aren't going to get bigger without very big investment.

Even an obvious talent like Howe can't keep them over-achieving forever because ultimately money talks and his best players will get poached by other clubs who are paying more money than the Cherries.

'Twas ever thus.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Would it be fair to suggest that Slater and Jimenez were never all that interested in Eddie Howe and that all the frenzied hysteria surrounding "Charlton buying Howe" was in fact whipped up by the media, blogs and forums?

Edit: Posted before I read Oggy Red's similar comments above
  • Options
    Chairmen care about success, not being messed about if he doesn't want to come. Other clubs will try it on, it's nature
  • Options
    SSN reporting Burnley have made an official approach for Eddie Howe.
  • Options
    The Bournemouth Echo have confirmed the burnley story. Surely Howe can't go after announcing 2 days ago that he loved the club and couldn't leave the players and fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]The Bournemouth Echo have confirmed the burnley story. Surely Howe can't go after announcing 2 days ago that he loved the club and couldn't leave the players and fans.
    That's one way to destroy your reputation in one fell swoop
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]The Bournemouth Echo have confirmed the burnley story. Surely Howe can't go after announcing 2 days ago that he loved the club and couldn't leave the players and fans.

Burnley must have some reason to keep up the pursuit. Perhaps Steady Eddie is more of a tart than I had thought.
  • Options
    True but Burnley also made official approaches for Lambert and Mackay and look where that got them
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Burnley must have some reason to keep up the pursuit. Perhaps Steady Eddie is more of a tart than I had thought.

People on here have said that we did offer him the job and I've no reason to doubt that. What if he was playing us off against Palace in the salary stakes and we both withdrew our offers because he wanted too much. In order for him to save face, he would have to say that he loved the club and couldn't leave the players and fans...Just a thought/conspiracy theory. The truth is out there.
  • Options
    Apparently a done deal as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bournemouth fans have turned on Howe already.

"sick of this now. if eh is even talking to burnley then it is time for him to go"

"Looks like Eddie Howe may love the colour of money rather than his beloved #afcb"

"if EH is going to continue to ***** himself out after tuesdays statement then he might as well go?! If hes made false promises then its hero to zero im afraid"
  • Options
    If he goes to Burnley now, will be a very, very odd decision.
  • Options
    The Bournemouth Echo are saying they expect him to be unveiled at Turf Moor this weekend, if this is the case I am glad he never came here, how can he say what he said to those fans and media on Tuesday and then this happens.

The only consolation is if he does go Bournemouth might dip in form plus he will be back to take some of their key players which will weaken the team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]The Bournemouth Echo are saying they expect him to be unveiled at Turf Moor this weekend, if this is the case I am glad he never came here, how can he say what he said to those fans and media on Tuesday and then this happens.

The only consolation is if he does go Bournemouth might dip in form plus he will be back to take some of their key players which will weaken the team.

He's coming across to me now as quite a weak man. Feeling relieved we didn't get him
  • Options
    Some one do a link I need cheering up
  • Options
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves! The BE said he was going to Charlton, Sky Sports said he was going to Charlton, yet he remainded at Bournemouth!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Let's not get ahead of ourselves! The BE said he was going to Charlton, Sky Sports said he was going to Charlton, yet he remainded at Bournemouth!

Not quite true, the guy running the blog posts fixed articles at the top and nearly all of what he posted Tuesday was spot on, it was all the other speculators that got it wrong.

Today he has 2 x fixed posts showing, the second of which states the unveiling at Turf Moor, not sure what his sources are but he seems in the know.
  • Options
    Neil is on the case again.

Bournmouth Echo Link
  • Options
    I wonder what he'll have for lunch today
  • Options
    "time to go now eddie, you have gone right down in my estimation...why lie the other day ...if you go ...JUDAS"