Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
coming in to 4/1 On Vic Chandler. Interesting. There's no doubt he's done an effing good job with no money at Bournemouth.

Comments

• Options
    and what odds him getting the Palace job ?
  • Options
    at 33 and only in his second season as manager does he have enough experience?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]at 33 and only in his second season as manager does he have enough experience?

Exactly.

Take him out of his comfort zone and things could go tits up very quickly.
  • Options
    Wouldnt' be excited about this at all. Would he have any better credentials than Parky?

Although i think he is more likely to go to Palace.
  • Options
    no thanks.
  • Options
    We would never do anything to harm a potential Palace signing would we?
  • Options
    harm ourselves more like no thanks.
  • Options
    Its his third season in first team management (Dec 08), having been 1st team coach / reserve team manager since Dec 06.

Everything is a risk, you could argue the same thing about Poyet being taken out of his comfort zone, and anyone with what you would class as the necessary experience is going to have some form of failure on his CV.
  • Options
    I'm sick of these 'betting moves'. It's literally a few people backing who they think with £20's and bookies act.

I wouldn't read into any market moves too much unless it's the magnitude of Howe's yesterday - 11/8 into 1/10
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Its his third season in first team management (Dec 08), having been 1st team coach / reserve team manager since Dec 06.

Everything is a risk, you could argue the same thing about Poyet being taken out of his comfort zone, and anyone with what you would class as the necessary experience is going to have some form of failure on his CV.

Hate to sound like a broken record but I really think we need a Howe / Poyet / Tisdale kind of manager as they know this level of football.

With respect to Hughton, Wise, Wilkins et al what do they know about League 1 football
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's done well at Bournemouth, but then again that was his club. He's a big name there, but whether he'd get enough respect at a bigger club is hard to tell.

Plus, we all know he worked wonders to get them promoted, considering there was a transfer embargo, but that also means he's hardly got any experience whatsoever of buying players in the transfer market.

He may do a decent job, but I'd be nervous getting a manager so young at Charlton.
  • Options
    In my opinion would be a fantastic appointment, definitely in my top 5 (banned from which are all appointments which would require consumption of copious amounts of space cakes to materialise)
  • Options
    Rather him the Wise!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

Hate to sound like a broken record but I really think we need a Howe / Poyet / Tisdale kind of manager as they know this level of football.

With respect to Hughton, Wise, Wilkins et al what do they know about League 1 football

Don't understand this argument. It's like saying we wouldn't take Ferguson/Mourinho because they wouldn't know anything about League 1 football.

I know Hughton, Wise and co aren't to that standard, but we don't want to be in League 1 for that much longer, so a manager with only lower league knowledge may even be a hindrance in the future.
  • Options
    They are only 2 points above us

So does that mean them 2 points are a huge difference from what Parky done with Feck all
  • Options
    bit diffrent there bournemouth like to think we aim a little higher.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]They are only 2 points above us

So does that mean them 2 points are a huge difference from what Parky done with Feck all

see the bigger picture

kept them up after a -17 point penalty taking over in January

with almost entirely the same squad he took them to promotion under a transfer embargo which was kept up throughout the whole season

despite losing their best goalscorer (pittman) over the summer, he's got them in 3rd at the first time of asking and they are real promotion contenders, they've lost mcquoid as well, with hardly anyone brought in

plays attacking football that is a joy to watch
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]

see the bigger picture

with almost entirely the same squad he took them to promotion under a transfer embargo which was kept up throughout the whole season

despite losing their best goalscorer (pittman) over the summer, he's got them in 3rd at the first time of asking and they are real promotion contenders, they've lost mcquoid as well, with hardly anyone brought in

And we beat them on the opening day of the season with 10 men.
  • Options
    He'd be younger than Dailly!

Done well at Bournemouth, wherever he goes next it will be a big test for him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]

see the bigger picture

beat me to it Weegie. Can't beat 10 men managed by Parky so must be rubbish : - )

being serious I wouldn't mind giving him or Tisdale a chance but can't see the new board going so low key. I think they will want a "name" to impress the owners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

Don't understand this argument. It's like saying we wouldn't take Ferguson/Mourinho because they wouldn't know anything about League 1 football.

I know Hughton, Wise and co aren't to that standard, but we don't want to be in League 1 for that much longer, so a manager with only lower league knowledge may even be a hindrance in the future.
    Surely what we (obviously) want is a proven manager. A good manager will learn and keep up to date with who the managers and players are at the level he's managing in.

Poyet only has a few years experience in League One and Two as an assistant and now a manager, but I get the impression he knows who the good players are and will be aware of anyone new emerging (with the help of his staff of course)

Extreme example but we don't want a John Barnes who went to Tranmere and tried to get them playing football that they weren't capable of. I doubt he knows a great deal about players in the Football League compared to the succesful managers either.
  • Options
    But if the structure was a young promising mgr with a wealth of experience with him say Clarke,wilkins then who knows
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

The difference is someone like Ferguson and Mourinho would have an army of appropriate contacts on hand to do the necessary digging and scouting

I know what you mean - maybe it could be a hinderance but I'm not entirely sure Hughton, Wilkins & chums would have sufficient contacts so maybe we'd need someone with a solid understanding of lower league players

Alternatively Hughton and Wilkins may have more sway with Premier league clubs to get us some great loanees or people who are looking to move on (though I think this is part of Jimenez' appeal)

It really is a tough decision the Chairman has to make right now but I believe he is up to it. I'm sure there is a masterplan in there somewhere
  • Options
    No thanks too young!
  • Options
    seriously reading a lot of the comments over the past few days, i'm getting a distinct 'ideas above our station' feeling.

Perhaps mentally i'm not being ambitious enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]

see the bigger picture

scratch all those achievements then he must be a right no-hoper
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kaka[/cite]He's done well at Bournemouth, but then again that was his club. He's a big name there, but whether he'd get enough respect at a bigger club is hard to tell.

Plus, we all know he worked wonders to get them promoted, considering there was a transfer embargo, but that also means he's hardly got any experience whatsoever of buying players in the transfer market.

He may do a decent job, but I'd be nervous getting a manager so young at Charlton.

That's where a Director of Football role can be useful - if you get the right chap
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]seriously reading a lot of the comments over the past few days, i'm getting a distinct 'ideas above our station' feeling.

Perhaps mentally i'm not being ambitious enough.[/quote]

Maybe maybe not, I've been told from the 'horses' how much we have to spend, so I for one am expecting bigger fish at the Valley.
    Glass half full and all that.....
  • Options
    you know horses that talk, bloody hell!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]seriously reading a lot of the comments over the past few days, i'm getting a distinct 'ideas above our station' feeling.

Perhaps mentally i'm not being ambitious enough.

We've proven over the last few seasons that getting the right manager is imperative. If we have to sacrifice getting 3 or 4 new players and settle for 1 or 2 and a good manager then that's absolutely what we should do.