Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]you know horses that talk, bloody hell![/quote

a load of pony
  • Options
    I'm Johnny Morris!
  • Options
    If you are only as good as your last job, he is a genius. I can understand the concerns about his age but i would be delighted with him.
  • Options
    Johnny Morris. Children's television legend.
  • Options
    Would be a dream move for me. Has exceeded any reasonable expectations where he is. Whoever we get will either be a bigger name with some failure or a younger manager looking for a step up. Either could work, either could flop. But saying too young or too inexperienced makes no sense. Whatever we get will either be too young/inexperienced or tainted with at least one flop.

Poyet had zero experience of running a team when he went to Brighton. Adkins had only been a physio before he took Scunny to promotion. It's a non-argument. The right person, the exceptional person doesn't need to have had 24 years managing in League One to bring success to a club in it.
  • Options
    Perfectly said Morts
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Would be a dream move for me. Has exceeded any reasonable expectations where he is. Whoever we get will either be a bigger name with some failure or a younger manager looking for a step up. Either could work, either could flop. But saying too young or too inexperienced makes no sense. Whatever we get will either be too young/inexperienced or tainted with at least one flop.

Poyet had zero experience of running a team when he went to Brighton. Adkins had only been a physio before he took Scunny to promotion. It's a non-argument. The right person, the exceptional person doesn't need to have had 24 years managing in League One to bring success to a club in it.

What he said
  • Options
    Don't know why as I have no insider info or any mates in the know, but I reckon that it's going to be Zola.
  • Options
    Can get 20s for Eddie Howe on Skybet, might be worth a tenner.. i'll probably shorten the odds to about 6 in one click.
  • Options
    Did he play for us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]seriously reading a lot of the comments over the past few days, i'm getting a distinct 'ideas above our station' feeling.

Me too.
  • Options
    Dennis Wise is apparently the bookies favourite. However if Michael Slater and Tony Jiminez were going to make Dennis Wise manager why isn’t he in place now? He is out of work, and supposedly good friends with the new regime. Therefore presumably it would have been simple to get him in place straight away.

If not Dennis Wise then who? The longer it takes to appoint a new manager the more I can't help feeling that something exciting could be on the cards. It would appear that the new owners are not being rushed into a panic appointment and are trying to get their preferred man into the job. If this is correct hopefully it should be excellent news for the club. Possibly just possibly the new people have the finance to make a significant appointment someone who could revive the fortunes of Charlton.

Then again I might be wrong, but still we can all dream!
  • Options
    Funny you should say that, Penfold. I had exactly the same feeling. I checked the odds on him for the job and he doesn't even appear on the list!

Would not be surprised to see him and Wise, say arrive next week.

We still do not know for sure that we are minted, so some of the names that have been floating about are probably way out of our league. Literally - as Jamie Redknapp would say, just before an announcement on twitter ;)

To hear some people say that they are not impressed by Hughton who was establishing a team in the prem after getting them promoted as champions from the league above us really made me laugh! Reality check people; if Howe were coming, it would not be a bad coup to pull off....not least as we would probably have to fight off competition from another team quite near us and in the division above (at least for now) in order to get him.
  • Options
    I just feel that Zola is flying under the radar at the moment. Still lives in Petts Wood I believe so nice and local not having to uproot family etc. Big mates with Wise so I assume with the rest of the Cockney Mafia as well. I would have thought that after what happened at West Ham that he would want to start building his reputation again. Whether he could do that with us is completely another issue and is open to question.
    Currently 20/1 with Skybet.
  • Options
    http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/charlton-specials/next-permanent-manager

Can even see Zola on here!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/charlton-specials/next-permanent-manager

Can even see Zola on here!
    Gary Waddock only 8/1 on Sky, not seen him mentioned yet
  • Options
    Would be pleased with Howe, has done an excellent job at Bournemouth with no resources and the fact they have sold their best players. He has an eye for a player- Mark Pugh for example has been one of League 1 best this season and was a Howe signing whilst the style of football is also very impressive. He is also a long term type of manager whereas someone like Hoddle may see us as a stopgap to getting his career in management back on track and then getting a "bigger" club.

I know he is a risk but imho with the right coaching team behind him, Howe would be far less of a risk than someone like Wise.
  • Options
    Zola's on books now - do the bookies read this board?

I wouldn't be surprised!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Zola's on books now - do the bookies read this board?

I wouldn't be surprised!
    Well someone from 4-4-2 does, they updated their article after I mentioned the Llera mistake.
  • Options
    If the new guys have a bit of money, then I would expect they would look for someone with more experience and a track record of spending a little.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely part and party of being a football fan is having ideas above our station. To dream to wish all of which have been devoid from my mind for years now
  • Options
    Why are the new owners "cockney mafia"? MS is from Manchester, isn't he?
  • Options
    Whoever it is, and that includes Wise- I'll give them the chance to show what they can do before I judge them one way or the other. I can't see it being Wise as I think he'd be doing the job now if he was lined up - I can't see it being Howe as he really is part of the furniture at Bournemouth and I'm sure at his young age would want to get a bit more experience (especially as things are going well) before taking on a bigger job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Zola's on books now - do the bookies read this board?

I wouldn't be surprised!
    Well someone from 4-4-2 does, they updated their article after I mentioned the Llera mistake.

Didn't manage to update the tags on the article though.

*sits back and waits*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Would be a dream move for me. Has exceeded any reasonable expectations where he is. Whoever we get will either be a bigger name with some failure or a younger manager looking for a step up. Either could work, either could flop. But saying too young or too inexperienced makes no sense. Whatever we get will either be too young/inexperienced or tainted with at least one flop.

Agree wholeheartedly with this,

I would be very happy with Eddie Howe. He plays good football and has an excellent record at his current club. It's reasonable comment that he has limited experience in the transfer market, but that means he's working with pretty much the same squad he inherited in a League 2 relegation battle - minus their top goalscorer! As they're now 3rd in League 1that says to me he knows how to set a team up tactically and how to get players together and motivated. Given the new manager is going to need to get quick results working largely with someone elses squad (January is a difficult time to do lots of business) he scores a big tick in this category.

I think his youth is an advantage. The place has gone stale and the combo of the new owners and a young, upcoming coach with fresh thinking and a winning mentality should help blow away the cobwebs.

We'd be a big chance for him, but not a last chance saloon so he wouldn't be looking over his shoulder all the time in the way a bigger name who's fallen on hard times might. I really believe he could be our Lambert or Grayson (he's at a similar stage in his career to these two when they joind Norwich and Leeds and ahead of Poyet), and I see no reason why he wouldn't choose us over Palace.
  • Options
    fergie gone in at 7/1
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]seriously reading a lot of the comments over the past few days, i'm getting a distinct 'ideas above our station' feeling.

Me too.

Can't agree.

I think Henry Irving is right that the Slater/Jiminez/Varney triumvirate are after a heavy hitter. That doesn't mean they will get one. But I'm pretty sure it's their aim.

They've just sacked one flyweight and they're not going to appoint another one if they can possibly help it.Someone like Howe will only come into the reckoning if they get knocked back by all of their heavyweight targets. And probably not even then. if they can't get their big name, those are quite possibly the circs. in which they might turn to Wise until the end of the season - and then start the search again in May when hopefully they will be offering not a div three job but a championship job.

In a way the Charlton gig at the moment is a bit of a lose-lose scenario. If a new manager take us up, it will merely be what is expected (and there will be plenty of ungrateful types on here claiming it was all Parkinson's doing). If they don't take us up, they will get slaughtered (and sneered at on CL for throwing away the promotion that Parkinson had worked so hard to ensure).

Quite honest'y, however much money we are offering, if I was Gus Poyet or one of their other targets, I'd be telling them, ''Ask me again in May.''
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]We'd be a big chance for him, but not a last chance saloon so he wouldn't be looking over his shoulder all the time in the way a bigger name who's fallen on hard times might. I really believe he could be our Lambert or Grayson (he's at a similar stage in his career to these two when they joind Norwich and Leeds and ahead of Poyet), and I see no reason why he wouldn't choose us over Palace.
    Howe could be our Grayson or Lambert, but O'Driscoll could be our Poyet or Adkins...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]In a way the Charlton gig at the moment is a bit of a lose-lose scenario. If a new manager take us up, it will merely be what is expected (and there will be plenty of ungrateful types on here claiming it was all Parkinson's doing). If they don't take us up, they will get slaughtered (and sneered at on CL for throwing away the promotion that Parkinson had worked so hard to ensure).
    There would be ungrateful types? Come on that's no better than the ones saying certain fans wanted to see us lose so they could say they were right. If we get promoted the new manager will get plenty of credit.

Parky has left us in a decent position, I don't think anyone has claimed anything more than that.

Hardly a lose lose situation. They're getting a chance to add to the squad with money we haven't had in years and if they don't take us up they'll most likely get another chance next season. It's a good challenge for a big name and a step up for a manager at a smaller club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]We'd be a big chance for him, but not a last chance saloon so he wouldn't be looking over his shoulder all the time in the way a bigger name who's fallen on hard times might. I really believe he could be our Lambert or Grayson (he's at a similar stage in his career to these two when they joind Norwich and Leeds and ahead of Poyet), and I see no reason why he wouldn't choose us over Palace.
    Howe could be our Grayson or Lambert, but O'Driscoll could be our Poyet or Adkins...

O'Driscoll would be fine by me too, but this a thread about Eddie Howe! ;-)

Ideally I want someone who will play good football and comes to us off the back of success elsewhere - not having been sacked from his last job.

Howe and O'Driscoll both fall into that category so I'd welcome either.