Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: tebbuttjack[/cite]CHARLTON are set to make a formal approach to Bournemouth to speak to Eddie Howe - who has already been offered the Crystal Palace job.(SOURCE SPL SPORT)

Talking on the fact about backroom staff
    Howe's assistant at Bournemouth - is Exaddick Jason Tindall would that be a factor if he was to move aswell

I used to get on pretty well with Jason Tindall when we played in the same Charlton youth team - would love to see him back here
  • Options
    I can only repeat - if it is true that we are in competition for his services with Palarse, what does that say if we don't get him and he ends up chosing them over us?
  • Options
    As long as it`s not Wise they will have my support, until they show that they are not capable of turning us into a footballing side.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]I can only repeat - if it is true that we are in competition for his services with Palarse, what does that say if we don't get him and he ends up chosing them over us?[/quote]

It says that we didn't offer enough money. Palace are struggling to avoid relegation, we are still in with a good shout.

We appear to have money, Palace are skint, so if Palace succeed it would say to me that perhaps our financial backers are not as deep pocketed as we think/hope they are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]what does that say if we don't get him and he ends up chosing them over us?

that they are in the division above us and therefore a significant step closer to the promised land than we are

they may be absolute gash but in a very competitive division they are only 1 pt from being outside the relegation zone and about 10 pts behind a clutch of teams that think they have genuine play-off aspirations

even if we win every game for the rest of the season, we can't bottle that hope and aspiration for the fella (yet)

sad but true
  • Options
    or as BFR correctly suggests... the colour of the money might not be bright enough
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]I can only repeat - if it is true that we are in competition for his services with Palarse, what does that say if we don't get him and he ends up chosing them over us?

I think it'll be a much bigger blow to Palace if he chooses us than it would be to us if he chooses Palace. Simply because they're in the higher league and have offered him the job and it only looks like we want to talk to him.

Hoping Polo is on the money but if he doesn't come then its not the end of the world which it seems to be for many Palace fans.
  • Options
    I agree mart

Facts:

1. They moved first... isn't it human nature to think whoever wants you first wants you more?
    2. Palace have a clear and undeniable advantage over us... we are basing our stake for EH on matters about which we can only speculate
  • Options
    Howe would do for me over Wise. Please not Wise. Please no!
  • Options
    He is not our only option we may choose someone else, so palace get Charlton reject
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]I can only repeat - if it is true that we are in competition for his services with Palarse, what does that say if we don't get him and he ends up chosing them over us?

I think it'll be a much bigger blow to Palace if he chooses us than it would be to us if he chooses Palace. Simply because they're in the higher league and have offered him the job and it only looks like we want to talk to him.

Hoping Polo is on the money but if he doesn't come then its not the end of the world which it seems to be for many Palace fans.

Very good answer, Mart !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I agree mart

Facts:

1. They moved first... isn't it human nature to think whoever wants you first wants you more?
    2. Palace have a clear and undeniable advantage over us... we are basing our stake for EH on matters about which we can only speculate

But does he want to move to a relegation battle? Or hopefully pick up a promotion charge
  • Options
    It'll be down to do with a couple of things,
    1. Can Palace promise that players won't be sold from under him and will he have cash available there.
    2 Who pays more
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I agree mart

Facts:

But does he want to move to a relegation battle? Or hopefully pick up a promotion charge

It's arguably easier to keep Palace up then get us promoted

We still have no idea of the financial resources we have and every day that passes is one less in which they can be utilised
  • Options
    He might even stay at Dean Court or take one of the many other jobs that are vacant. No secret now that he's available.
  • Options
    I'm with nolly. What an unexciting appointment that would be for me.
    Would least prove our real owners are not as minted as we hoped.
  • Options
    Ok - put yourself in his shoes. Hypothetically speaking

Same money being offered by both

Palace - no Or very little money (as seems the case)
    Us - let's say upto £1m to spend to get us up

Where would you go?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    On the face of things I would be quite happy with Howe, young, done very well at Bournemouth with very limited resources and he seems to want to play attractive football. However, these are his percentages

W 50.5% L 31.7% D 17.8%
    Yes he has a very good win percentage however the losses are quite high, it is a higher loss percentage than Parky's with us, does this show naivety in that in certain situations you just want to shut up shop and he cannot do that? Is it something he can learn or is it his style of play and he won't divert from it?

Just thought I would point it out, I'm not against Howe but I'm a little cautious after seeing this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Ok - put yourself in his shoes. Hypothetically speaking

Same money being offered by both

Palace - no Or very little money (as seems the case)
    Us - let's say upto £1m to spend to get us up

Where would you go?

Us obviously... Palace are scum ;-)
  • Options
    find myself agreeing with nolly on this one, of course if he comes I'll be as hopeful as the next man
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those who aren't excited by the idea of Howe, if we had got Nigel Adkins would you have been as unexcited?
  • Options
    Too young, Dailly could be his Grandad !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]For those who aren't excited by the idea of Howe, if we had got Nigel Adkins would you have been as unexcited?

Good point

No frills, no glamour.
    Fucking good manager though
  • Options
    The best thing about polo's message and the SLP story is that Wise isn't a done deal
  • Options
    I don't get those who are saying he's not experienced enough, not old enough etc. If you're a good manager, then you're a good manager simple as that, what does his age matter? At the moment one of the brightest managers in European football is Andre Villas Boas, who took over Porto at the start of this season and has them flying at the moment. He is 33.
  • Options
    Would prefer O'Driscoll, Adkins, Howe etc over a 'name' like Wilkins or Hoddle. Dont think you can underestimate Howe's achievements at Bournemouth. If Parky was working in severe financial constraints then Howe's cirumstances were far,far worse. Got out of League Two playing football having kept them up the previous season despite a 17 point deduction. This year Bournemouth are second playing good football despite selling both Pitman and McCoid and not being given a penny piece to spend. I'd be happy with Howe.
  • Options
    Yes rothko I would. We have had world famous names quoted this week and been told to be excited.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Yes rothko I would. We have had world famous names quoted this week and been told to be excited.

But a world famous name doesn't guarantee success. And where were they before they became world famous? Howe isn't world famous yet but h knows? And what did you say when Curbs was initially appointed?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Yes rothko I would. We have had world famous names quoted this week and been told to be excited.

Big names who know as much about league 1 footballers as I know about quantum physics
  • Options
    Don't care about a "big name", just want the best boss for Charlton.

Wise/Hoddle are big names and would attract the headlines- but do we want that. Much rather someone like Howe, who judging by his Bournemouth record, will get on with the job, will not complain and hopefully do his talking with results.

Howe may not be glamourous but he could be just what we need.