Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Would prefer O'Driscoll, Adkins, Howe etc over a 'name' like Wilkins or Hoddle. Dont think you can underestimate Howe's achievements at Bournemouth. If Parky was working in severe financial constraints then Howe's cirumstances were far,far worse. Got out of League Two playing football having kept them up the previous season despite a 17 point deduction. This year Bournemouth are second playing good football despite selling both Pitman and McCoid and not being given a penny piece to spend. I'd be happy with Howe.
    Agree, I don't believe we need a big name.

What he's done at Bournemouth shows he can motivate players, is good tactically with the bonus of playing good football. All in his early 30s.

The main question for me if becomes our manager is can he handle the step up in expectations and if he had decent money to spend would he use it well. I've got a feeling he would.
  • Howe?

Not trying to score points against palace again are we? Ended in tears last time.
  • Let's hope he brings Marc Pugh with him as well...
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Let's hope he brings Marc Pugh with him as well...

Yes. And maybe Hollands too.
  • Scoham said :
    The main question for me if becomes our manager is can he handle the step up in expectations and if he had decent money to spend would he use it well. I've got a feeling he would.

I have a good feeling he would too. Would an older head as a sort of Director of Football be an assistance or a hinderance ?
  • I just hope they sit down and listen to what he has to say and we don't have ideas above our station and try and foist things on him. We saw where that got us with Billy Davies (as I understand).
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Don't get you nolly

Curbs wasn't good enough for you and now YOUR judging a manager on the type of town his team plays in.

IF it happens and it is still a big if then it is a risk but I'm not interested in how 'exciting' the appointment is or how big a name they are. I just want a good manager.

Henry, can I have 100 lines on the correct use of 'Your' and 'You're'?

Sorry. Couldn't resist!
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Howe?

Not trying to score points against palace again are we? Ended in tears last time.

Gotta say.Listened to quite a few interviews with the bloke and he sounds like quite a young and intelligent fella.
    Also seems to have more charisma in his little finger than Parkinson had in his entire person!
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Scoham said :

I have a good feeling he would too. Would an older head as a sort of Director of Football be an assistance or a hinderance ?

hinderence. if we are appointing him then we have to have faith in him and him alone. Also can't see him taking our job with us insisting on this, when he has other options where he will be the main man.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Scoham said :

[cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]I just hope they sit down and listen to what he has to say and we don't have ideas above our station and try and foist things on him. We saw where that got us with Billy Davies (as I understand).
    I've said before I never like the idea of choosing a managers staff. Ideally you want experience in there somewhere but the manager needs staff he works well with and knows he can trust.

If wikipedia is accurate Howe doesn't even have a first team coach at Bournemouth.

Marty Holmes is another ex Charlton player there along with Tindall.

Manager: Eddie Howe
    Assistant Manager: Jason Tindall
    Goalkeeping Coach: Neil Moss
    Reserve Team/Youth Team Coach: Joe Roach
    Assistant Youth Team Coach: Marcus Browning
    Centre of Excellence Manager: Shaun Brooks
    Technical Development Officer: Matty Holmes
    Development Centre Manager: James Welsh
    Physio: Steve Hard
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree it would be a hinderance but just put it out there as a possibility to those suggesting Howe was too young and too inexperienced. I like the idea that whoever comes in can bring in their own team. If Howe comes I can see Tindall having a good chance of replacing him at Dean Court but maybe he'll bring Matty Holmes as asst or coach.
  • I just remembered - Howe wanted to sign Charlie Austin at Ballmouth but was unable to because of the transfer embargo so he joined Swindon

Seems he can spot talent
  • As above, whoever we bring in has to have their own management team with them not something hoisted upon them by a chairman who thought he had more idea than curbs would in who would be best to follow him ........

The further murray is away from assisting with the decision making the better as far as I'm concerned , lightening won't strike twice
  • edited January 2011
  • Wasn't Neil moss with us as well
  • http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=590&headline=Charlton%20set%20to%20make%20approach%20for%20Howe
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I agree it would be a hinderance but just put it out there as a possibility to those suggesting Howe was too young and too inexperienced. I like the idea that whoever comes in can bring in their own team. If Howe comes I can see Tindall having a good chance of replacing him at Dean Court but maybe he'll bring Matty Holmes as asst or coach.

From what I've been told by someone else (not my main source but someone who is potentially very reliable) is that Tindall may come with Howe and Fletcher with Williams assisting would be put in temporary charge down here.
  • But is that come to Palace or Charlton Polo?! I think that's the $million question!
  • But is that come to Palace or Charlton Polo?! I think that's the $million question!
  • I'm still hopeful that Howe will come to Palace, but regardless of who he chooses Palace or Charlton, I can't understand how anyone from either club can think they're club is too large for one of the best young managers we have out there.

Also why is it that people still think of Palace having financial problems? They may not be making million pound signings, but that is because they learnt from the previous regime, and are spending within there means. I don't know the size of the bid, but we have put one in for James Vaughan, so that indicates there is money available for the right type of player (ie young with resale value).
  • Sponsored links:

• Budgie - you've spent ZERO money since being taken over - you're in the relegation zone and your offer for Vaughan was around £300k (I'm led to believe).

I'd hardly say that's pulling up trees considering how f*cked you will be if you get relegated to Division 3 like us!
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Budgie - you've spent ZERO money since being taken over - you're in the relegation zone and your offer for Vaughan was around £300k (I'm led to believe).

I'd hardly say that's pulling up trees considering how f*cked you will be if you get relegated to Division 3 like us!

I've no idea what the bid for Vaughan was, but if it was only £300k I'd be surprised, and we bought Owen Garvan for £250k, not a lot I grant you, but it was a fee.

Also one of the main reasons Burley was let go, was because of his inactivity in the transfer market.

This is also why it is so important that both club's I'd imagine get a manager in, so that they can identify the players THEY want, and get them in.
  • Meeting with CAFC officials before todays game.
  • [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Budgie - you've spent ZERO money since being taken over - you're in the relegation zone and your offer for Vaughan was around £300k (I'm led to believe).

I've no idea what the bid for Vaughan was, but if it was only £300k I'd be surprised, and we bought Owen Garvan for £250k, not a lot I grant you, but it was a fee.

Also one of the main reasons Burley was let go, was because of his inactivity in the transfer market.

This is also why it is so important that both club's I'd imagine get a manager in, so that they can identify the players THEY want, and get them in.

Sorry Budgie but it's deluded to think that Burley was sacked because of inactivity in the transfer market. I would think if Burley did hesitate in spending it was because the amount available to him meant that any signing was no better than the players he already had. The actual reason that Burley was sacked was because you are in a relegation place and have been since he arrived. Relegation not the best preferred option for your new owners.
  • Feel for the man......his heart is at Bournemouth.....wouldnt be surprised if he stayed, but seems like there is a lack of board support in the background. Nice bloke I sincerely wish him well, I think fans will warm to him wherever he goes.
  • Brother said he was really emotional in his post match press conference yesterday, said he had a hard decision to make
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Brother said he was really emotional in his post match press conference yesterday, said he had a hard decision to make[/quote]

Watch Scoham's link 2 posts above.
  • At least we'd have a ready made song for him.....Oh Eddie Howe, eddie eddie eddie eddie howe.....!
  • Just watched Scohams link and this bloke has soared in my estimation. Whoever ends up with Howe I think they just might have a gem on their hands. Would not like him at Palace tbh.