Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar fails first test.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    I think fans going to this need a long hard look in the mirror.
    You won’t be watching any games on television then? 
    watching games on BBC won't make anybody any money at all
    watching games on ITV probably won't make anybody much if anything either - how do ITV charge the advertisers based on mostly made up/guessed audience figures?
    boycott the FIFA affiliated tournament sponsors much like we're boycotting all the shiteating ghoulish corporations still dealing with psychopath murderer Putin and his mob.
    ..That's right, because they acquire the rights to broadcast matches for free....
    BBC paying FIFA for the coverage is a ship that's sailed years ago.  Us watching the coverage on BBC won't impact the finances one jot.
    Watch it or don't watch it for whatever reasons you tell yourself but digging people out for watching the telly is daft.
    No harm, no foul?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    watching games on ITV probably won't make anybody much if anything either - how do ITV charge the advertisers based on mostly made up/guessed audience figures?
    boycott the FIFA affiliated tournament sponsors much like we're boycotting all the shiteating ghoulish corporations still dealing with psychopath murderer Putin and his mob.
    ..That's right, because they acquire the rights to broadcast matches for free....
    BBC paying FIFA for the coverage is a ship that's sailed years ago.  Us watching the coverage on BBC won't impact the finances one jot.
    Watch it or don't watch it for whatever reasons you tell yourself but digging people out for watching the telly is daft.
    No harm, no foul?
    A lot of the advertising revenue will be based on worldwide viewership. 

If enough people switch it off, FIFA WILL lose money. 

If you want to watch it, that's fine, but you are doing so aware of all the death and illegal activities that have gone into staging it. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?
    I'll be watching it...

My point was that you can't disconnect watching a game on the BBC from FIFA making money. It doesn't matter when the contract was signed. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

If you want to watch it, that's fine, but you are doing so aware of all the death and illegal activities that have gone into staging it. 
    Will you be watching it?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?
    You really think this is a gotcha question don't you? 

Yes, but I aware of the issues surrounding the tournament and will not be going in person.

Things like shirts/books/merchandise that I might have been tempted to get I'm not doing so. 

You'll notice I haven't dug a single person out for choosing to watch the event. Just don't be blind to how it came about. 

And don't be blind thinking that if you watch it 'for free' on BBC, you are immune from helping the event. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

Yes, but I aware of the issues surrounding the tournament and will not be going in person.

Things like shirts/books/merchandise that I might have been tempted to get I'm not doing so. 

You'll notice I haven't dug a single person out for choosing to watch the event. Just don't be blind to how it came about. 

And don't be blind thinking that if you watch it 'for free' on BBC, you are immune from helping the event. 
    Not trying to ‘gotcha’ anyone - I asked you a direct question, and you gave an honest answer. And I’m glad you did because a common reaction when I’ve asked it is for people to just feign shock or suggest that it’s an invalid question.

As for your last point, I’m the last person to make that suggestion. I was the one who brought up the broadcasting revenue issue in the first place on this thread.

Between now and November there are going to be a lot of people talking about the controversies that come with this World Cup, who will point the finger at anyone who attends and anyone who watches, but will likely end up being sat in front of the television doing exactly the same themselves when it comes round to it.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

There are going to be a lot of people talking about the controversies that come with this World Cup, who will point the finger at anyone who attends and anyone who watches, but will likely end up being sat in front of the television doing exactly the same themselves when it comes round to it.
    ^ This

If England win the World Cup, I doubt there will be hordes of England fans outside of FA headquarters the next day demanding we return the trophy because we won a corrupt tournament. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

There are going to be a lot of people talking about the controversies that come with this World Cup, who will point the finger at anyone who attends and anyone who watches, but will likely end up being sat in front of the television doing exactly the same themselves when it comes round to it.
    ^ This

If England win the World Cup, I doubt there will be hordes of England fans outside of FA headquarters the next day demanding we return the trophy because we won a corrupt tournament. 
    Doubtful. 

But if some of the biggest nations (or even UEFA/CONMEBOL) decide that FIFA isn't really the organisation that should be running the World Cup, I would be in favour of a breakway organisation. 

Finalissima 2022 is a very interesting concept that has gone under the radar. 
  • Options
    I wish my principles were stronger than my love of football and WCs but unfortunately they’re not and I suspect many other people feel the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

^ This

Now that’s a big IF - England will need to work really hard and ride some luck to get as far as being slaughtered by France!  
  • Options
    Has anyone watched the overlap with Gary Nevile. He done a documentary on Qatar. Worth a watch 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

^ This

Yes that's the Copa América vs Euro Champs game at Wembley isn't it? I didn't actually know about it until I saw an advert at the England game last week.

I think its a great concept, but isnt the idea behind it to replace the defunct Confederations Cup as apposed to it growing into some kind of World Cup rival?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

Between now and November there are going to be a lot of people talking about the controversies that come with this World Cup, who will point the finger at anyone who attends and anyone who watches, but will likely end up being sat in front of the television doing exactly the same themselves when it comes round to it.
    Honestly, to me, that really does sound like a gotcha response. As if being opposed to the story behind the tournament isn't allowed if you watch any of it. It's the standard - and in my opinion lazy - response that we hear all the time when we find out a ubiquitous organisation is up to no good. It's what people say about bad owners owning a club "you won't care once you're winning stuff!" etc. which entirely misses the point.  

Personally I am not watching much because I no longer care as I once did, mainly because of what the people at the top have done (this applies to pro football generally for me). It's not about boycotting, it's about being turned off. For those who feel conflicted but do end up watching it I have great sympathy. We didn't ask to be put in this position. Those people probably love the support and live for that shared experience. Watching it doesn't undermine the finger pointing. It's not inherently hypocritical to watch it. It's a shitty position where there's probably no 'right' move. I certainly don't think saying 'fuck it, let's just enjoy the show' is the right move but I wouldn't give anyone stick for doing that either. 
    I’m stating the fact that there will be people who will criticise others in the lead up to the tournament but then go and do exactly the same thing themselves, especially if England progress through the rounds. It’s not a ‘gotcha’ response - it’s a prediction about what I think is going to happen. 
  • Options
    I will watch it because it is the World Cup and I would watch two teams of chimps playing football against each other, but it is a disgrace it is being held there. Maybe the people who were bribed have been kicked out of FIFA but the organisation must know the tournament was gained by bribery. The only evidence you need is that it is being held in Qatar. It is like me in a dress winning Miss World. You don't need further proof! 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

^ This

Yes that's the Copa América vs Euro Champs game at Wembley isn't it? I didn't actually know about it until I saw an advert at the England game last week.

I think its a great concept, but isnt the idea behind it to replace the defunct Confederations Cup as apposed to it growing into some kind of World Cup rival?
    I’ve got a ticket to the Finalissima. Did it on a spur of the moment and paid about £100, and then they went and put additional tickets on sale for about a third of the price.

Part of me thinks it’s UEFA’s way of trying to keep some additional influence in international football, whilst they are at loggerheads with FIFA about the 2 year World Cup concept.

UEFA are also expected to make the additional move in the coming years of integrating the major South American teams into the Nations League.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

Honestly, to me, that really does sound like a gotcha response. As if being opposed to the story behind the tournament isn't allowed if you watch any of it. It's the standard - and in my opinion lazy - response that we hear all the time when we find out a ubiquitous organisation is up to no good. It's what people say about bad owners owning a club "you won't care once you're winning stuff!" etc. which entirely misses the point.  

Personally I am not watching much because I no longer care as I once did, mainly because of what the people at the top have done (this applies to pro football generally for me). It's not about boycotting, it's about being turned off. For those who feel conflicted but do end up watching it I have great sympathy. We didn't ask to be put in this position. Those people probably love the support and live for that shared experience. Watching it doesn't undermine the finger pointing. It's not inherently hypocritical to watch it. It's a shitty position where there's probably no 'right' move. I certainly don't think saying 'fuck it, let's just enjoy the show' is the right move but I wouldn't give anyone stick for doing that either. 
    I’m stating the fact that there will be people who will criticise others in the lead up to the tournament but then go and do exactly the same thing themselves, especially if England progress through the rounds. It’s not a ‘gotcha’ response - it’s a prediction about what I think is going to happen. 
    Are you not allowed to criticise an event while watching it then? Better tell all the journalists that are going that they have to stay at home, otherwise they're banned from criticising Qatar and FIFA. 
  • Options
    This is utterly bizarre. There's a rule that internationally tournaments must be on European terrestrial television, linkypoos, the money in the TV rights isn't significant as a result. The people from Fifa that played a role in this charade are no longer there, sadly not in prison. The issue is the country of Qatar and this awful death toll of immigrant works preparing for this tournament. Playing this down this by pointing out that only a small number were building temporary stadiums made out of shipping containers and the majority died building infrastructure necessary to host the tournament is incredible and I'm genuinely lost for words. If you feel that watching a game on TV is somehow supporting this then I feel for you. The way to make a stand is to not go. Criticism of the players taking a knee etc then playing out there are valid.

Apparently the grounds in England's group are far away from each other and in the middle of no where with nothing to do, enjoy. :)
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

Are you not allowed to criticise an event while watching it then? Better tell all the journalists that are going that they have to stay at home, otherwise they're banned from criticising Qatar and FIFA. 
    Think you should read my post again. 

I’m pointing out that there will be people who will criticise others for how they take in this tournament, whilst going on to do exactly the same thing. 
  • Options
    Apparently the grounds in England's group are far away from each other and in the middle of no where with nothing to do, enjoy. :)
    That’s not the case at all. All of the stadiums for the tournament are located within approx 30-40 miles of each other. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

^ This

I’ve got a ticket to the Finalissima. Did it on a spur of the moment and paid about £100, and then they went and put additional tickets on sale for about a third of the price.

Part of me thinks it’s UEFA’s way of trying to keep some additional influence in international football, whilst they are at loggerheads with FIFA about the 2 year World Cup concept.

UEFA are also expected to make the additional move in the coming years of integrating the major South American teams into the Nations League.
    That could be interesting, basically a backdoor way to make a UEFA/CONMEBOL ran World Cup. Is there some kind of rule in place by FIFA to prevent a continental organisation like UEFA or CONMEBOL organising their own international tournament? Surely they wouldn't be happy to just let that happen. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

^ This

That could be interesting, basically a backdoor way to make a UEFA/CONMEBOL ran World Cup. Is there some kind of rule in place by FIFA to prevent a continental organisation like UEFA or CONMEBOL organising their own international tournament? Surely they wouldn't be happy to just let that happen. 
    I don’t think so. 

Ultimately, tournaments like the Euros and the Copa America are tournaments organised by the continental authorities that don’t have any bearing on FIFA’s World Cup. 

If there was such a rule then FIFA would have surely activated the opportunity to do a 2 year World Cup cycle a long time ago.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    That’s not the case at all. All of the stadiums for the tournament are located within approx 30-40 miles of each other. 
    Yeah, but you wouldn't wanna walk it would you - certainly not in THAT heat.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Off_it said:
    cafctom said:
    From what I'm told, its not the sort of place you can really walk anywhere - not necessarily because of the heat either. Just the way that its laid out. 

The metro links together 6 of the 8 stadiums pretty easily. The remaining 2 will take a bit more planning - but its such a small place that you can get taxis anywhere without spending too much. 

Climate in November can get as high as 28/29 at most. Not excruciating like it would be in the Summer. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

That is a gotcha response. You just don’t seem to realise it. 
  • Options
    Don’t get me wrong, it’s appalling situation, but it’s gonna go on regardles. But the World Cup is the pinnacle for me and there’s absolutely no way I’m missing a WC especially with our best team ever. People will abstain but it’s a piss in the ocean with all things considered. Like most things, do what you wanna do.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

Think you should read my post again. 

I’m pointing out that there will be people who will criticise others for how they take in this tournament, whilst going on to do exactly the same thing. 
    You agree there is a difference between watching the games on tv at home while being disappointed at the whole saga. 

And going to Qatar, giving them the tourism and sportswashing they are craving by hosting the tournament? 

If you're saying you're not allowed to criticise option B because they're watching on tv at home is missing the point entirely. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

Ok mate - if you say so. I'm really not interested in going round in circles with you or anyone else telling me the semantics of what I've said. 

Back on topic. I find the point you made about having sympathy for people feeling conflicted an interesting one. And I do agree with pretty much everything you say in that 2nd paragraph. I had similar feelings when making the decision about going. In truth, I probably held the opinion that I would have no interest in going back when it was first announced 12 years ago.

The point I'm making is that I don't think it is wholly fair to criticize people going to the tournament to then still watch and enjoy it on TV yourself without realizing that all attention paid to the tournament is in some way validating it, albeit at varying levels. Some will be keen to refute that for whatever individual reason - that's up to them. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    cafctom said:
    No harm, no foul?

Will you be watching it?

It’s pointing out the hypocrisy of some. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Off_it said:
    cafctom said:
    From what I'm told, its not the sort of place you can really walk anywhere - not necessarily because of the heat either. Just the way that its laid out. 

The metro links together 6 of the 8 stadiums pretty easily. The remaining 2 will take a bit more planning - but its such a small place that you can get taxis anywhere without spending too much. 

Climate in November can get as high as 28/29 at most. Not excruciating like it would be in the Summer. 
    Apologies, I meant miles out of Doha.

Guess you could get taxis if there weren't 60k people wanting to do the same thing. Guessing they'll be buses, perhaps visit a nearby pub while you wait for the queues to die down?