Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jan 11 Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• Options
    Starting to doubt we'll be picking up a decent centre half in this window, which i think is a shame.
  • Options
    I am hoping that perhaps bringing in Bassone might mean that we can play Fry at Centre Back to solve another problem.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think Fry has two matches to impress, otherwise he will be going back to Wham post-Yeovil
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Starting to doubt we'll be picking up a decent centre half in this window, which i think is a shame.
    I'd say it was an essential, perhaps they are looking at another youth loan like Fry and co

would be amazed if we let Fry go without getting a CB in
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    Well there's no time left to get a replacement in, he's just signed a 5 year deal, plus he'll be the England centre forward for the forseeable future, so i can see why they rejected it. If they do decide to sell in the summer, they'll have other clubs interested and i'm sure they'll still get £30m or so.

I suppose, but I'd have teken it. I don't think offers of that size will be forthcoming in the summer - it's a despareate bid by a desparate club.

He's playing well at the moment, but it's much too soon to tell if he's in the form of his career and will tail off or if he can maintain it. Surely for £30m you should be looking to get a player who has scored consistently in the Champions League and Internationally? That sort of price should be reserved for the top top talent, unless you are sure you have an exceptional young talent on your hands like MU did with Rooney.

Everybody is baulking at the price Villa paid for Bent, but he has far more pedigree than Carroll and cost 20 to 30% less than Liverpool's bid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Pool's bid for Carroll rejected according to BBC.

If I was Newcastle, I'd have taken £30m for him. He's having a very good season, but I doubt he'll ever fetch more than that and I doubt even more that he's worth it or irreplacable for a lot less.

£30m for a striker who has 1/2 a season of good form behind him at the top level, is injured AND is being signed by a manager who is only in charge until the summer is just ludicrous money
    Not sure what's more crazy, Liverpool budding it or Newcastle rejecting it.
    I imagine it's because it's the last day and they think Liverpool will up their bid! Football never ceases to amaze me, pure madness!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]I am hoping that perhaps bringing in Bassone might mean that we can play Fry at Centre Back to solve another problem.

I dont think fry would be suited to that posistion (not yet anyway), well not first choice by any means. To play centre half, you need to had a command of the defence and to be able to read the game well. I dont think Fry is up to that yet, although I do like him playing left back. Although, if he does get put there I would like to see him prove me wrong!
  • Options
    I think Fry could work at CB, but only if he had Dailey alongside him, guiding him through the game. He seems to do that well with the other centre backs we have, and is obviously a natural at it. Putting a young, inexperienced, lad next to any of the other CB's we have would be a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    This may be a stupid question: But do football teams have to pay VAT on players? If so, I bet Dave Cameron is licking his lips over all the big money transfers rumoured to be going on today
  • Options
    don't forget the loan window opens again next week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]don't forget the loan window opens again next week.
    Is that not just for emergency and youth loans though?

What constitutes and emergency loan? Because if we're talking about centre backs we have 5 professional centre backs on our books.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]don't forget the loan window opens again next week.

What constitutes and emergency loan? Because if we're talking about centre backs we have 5 professional centre backs on our books.

Konchesky is an emergency loan for Forest, so I don't think it's too difficult to claim an emergency
  • Options

Emergency is just a name for short term loans.
  • Options
    Ah gotcha.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]This may be a stupid question: But do football teams have to pay VAT on players? If so, I bet Dave Cameron is licking his lips over all the big money transfers rumoured to be going on today

valu added tax and the signings we've made over the last 4/5 years doesn't seem right somehow.
  • Options
    They should really come up for a new name for "emergency" loans as it's pretty confusing.
  • Options
    can't 'emergency' loans be for up to 93 days or something?
  • Options
    anyone got any sightings for us? Will we make any more additions?
  • Options
    Bostock on loan ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Bostock on loan ;-)

I very much hope your right! I feel he would be a very good signing and would add that creative spark we are missing (as long as his head is screwed on)..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can Bostock play right midfield as well as central?
  • Options
    Yes "emergency loans" are 28 to 93 days and CANNOT be extended

I'd hope we would be adding a CB and a CM with maybe Llera and a forward out but time is against us now.
  • Options
    need a creative midfielder player but more important to get a centre half.we need to concede less goals to give us a chance of promotion this season
  • Options
    I know the transfer window closes today, but what about loans? I thought the loan deadline was later, especially between league clubs (old transfer deadline in march I believe?)
  • Options
    Just seen Drury to Ipswich £150,000 - would have loved a bit of that
  • Options
    No more palarse sh*t cast-off's please - we must have learned our lesson by now.
  • Options
    Andy Reid having a medical at Blackpool for a million squid!!

I would have loved him back at the Valley!!!
  • Options
    Jason Crowe - let go by Leeds has signed for Orient apparently.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]Andy Reid having a medical at Blackpool for a million squid!!

Excellent signing for them. Very good replacement for Charlie Adam when he leaves today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]Andy Reid having a medical at Blackpool for a million squid!!

Excellent signing for them. Very good replacement for Charlie Adam when he leaves today.

Do we get any sell-ons from that?