Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic 3-2 Peterborough - Post Match Views

Comments

• Ah yes we do have Hartlepool away first but next match for me would be Exeter at the Valley this Saturday coming, COYRs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Was the big screen up and working and if it was was i good?
  • First half passed us by, they totally outplayed us. Enter Abbott, totally changed the game, he played very well with free scoring BWP. Nathan moving to the right really worked as well, well played SCP. Great second half, really buzzing after that, like the old days. A big mention again for Abbott, think we may have found a partnership there.
  • it was clear eccelestone and bwp were too similar and we can't seem to stop lumping the ball up in the air, hence pavals changing it, not to take anything away from him, I'm not a critic, after all he's got a decent record elsewhere
  • Francis wasn't great first half to be honest. But he obviously had a kick up the backside for the second, cause he was brilliant second half. As others said Abbott made the difference, we had someone to lump it up to. Eccleston much better on the wing, more dangerous, and his assist for the second goal was fantastic.
    Overall, delighted with the win, which for me was an early six-pointer.
  • The revenge of the whipping boys!

Francis and abbott showed the ability they have. Thought Bassone looked good and he set up our only chance of first half.

Well outplayed for long periods but 3 lovely goals and points.

I know macca was poor but he's had some good games recently. He get slaughted on here while Francis and Abbott are rightly praised though few will see the irony in that.

We won so LLLBH
  • rob elliot outstanding today keeped us in the game
  • Terrible first half, as bad as I've seen this season. The fact that Bessone was our best player says a lot (he played well mind you).

Second half we came out with a change of formation and personnel and really took charge. The ball stuck to Abbott for a change and Ecclestone looks more like an advanced winger than a striker to me.

Neither Jackson or BWP did much all game other than score but I'd take that. Great assist from Francis for first goal and a true top class second goal, arguably the best I've seen for us.

Still no penetration from midfield which concerns me but Dailly and Doc, although obviously troubled, played well.

Keep it going Chris and the team.
  • Played off the pitch first 45. BWP, NE and Waggy ineffective as our midfield could not get hold of the ball. It had to change at half time and credit to Powell for making the change early enough to have an impact. Pawels presence made them defend deeper and allowed our midfield to get into the game. I have a feeling Powell learned a lot today and I expect a little to happen in the loan Market before too much longer. Peterboroughs number 24 whose name escapes me - Tamblin ? Was best player on pitch by mile. Our best was easily Jose.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Francis best game ever, he improving somehow

Macormack absent and lacking when he got ball on rare ocassions

awful first half, bizzarre game with the ref again? Did he collide with someone or just trip, looked like he'd broken and ankle, hope Fry? I forget now who was stretchered off is OK too. should have been 10 mins added on first half and 3 second, perhaps they tried to even it up..

another good win, Powell seems to be learning on the job, but he does seem to learn and make the right changes.

lovely bit of football for our second goal particularly

3 Mins extra in the 2nd half? are you actually stupid lol there were 6 subs which is 3 mins an then daily qas dpwn injured for a couple and there was also a clash of heads....i thought 6 mins was spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the subs was at half time and didnt P'Boro make two at once?
  • Outplayed in the first half.

Second half changed due to Abbott coming on. He was very impressive.

Francis had his best game for Charlton. McCormack was awful.
  • edited February 2011
    Abbott changed the game because we held onto the ball for more than 10 seconds at a time. He held the ball up, stitched the midfield and the attack together, won it in the air and brought others (especially Eccleston and Francis pelting down the right) into the game.

Abbott, Eccleston and Francis my three stars today. Honourable mention to BWP for chalking up his third in as many games. Jackson had probably his worse half in the shirt today (he's been getting progressively worse game by game in the last month or so) and then pops up with the equaliser and was solid in the second half.

The less said about the first 50 minutes the better I think... it would probably take less time to say what wasn't wrong
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Francis best game ever, he improving somehow

Macormack absent and lacking when he got ball on rare ocassions

awful first half, bizzarre game with the ref again? Did he collide with someone or just trip, looked like he'd broken and ankle, hope Fry? I forget now who was stretchered off is OK too. should have been 10 mins added on first half and 3 second, perhaps they tried to even it up..

another good win, Powell seems to be learning on the job, but he does seem to learn and make the right changes.

lovely bit of football for our second goal particularly[/quote]

3 Mins extra in the 2nd half? are you actually stupid lol there were 6 subs which is 3 mins an then daily qas dpwn injured for a couple and there was also a clash of heads....i thought 6 mins was spot on[/quote]

Not forgetting Bessones injury
  • SCPs post match interview is up on player, seems he took Wagstaff off because of the clash of heads in the first half so looks like the change at half time was forced.

Did we play with just BWP up front in the first half?
  • [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]
    Did we play with just BWP up front in the first half?

Kind of, he was more of the spearhead of 3 attackers in a 4-3-3 but Eccleston cut inside a lot.
  • First Half I think Semedo was our most creative player which is saying something, A Top player his ability to win the ball keep it open up space via sharp quick turns and pick out a pass, He is a leader.

Abbott showed us what he is capable of and the amount of ground he covered was impressive battled for every ball.

Set Pieces we are shocking imo, Francis & McCormack not good enough thats Throws, Corners, Free-Kicks everything,

McCormack our weak link don't see what he offers, his decision making is poor, and he stuggles to make any impact in the game, Lucky Semedo covers him.

Eccleston had a much better second half out wide, Ain't afraid to make things happen and link up play was good in their half after driving forward.

Agree on Francis having his best game used his strength well.
  • did my eyes decieve me or did abbot really nutmeg someone today? thought francis was excellent going forward, abbot held the ball up well and looked sharp. ecclestone seems to be better down the right than up front. semedo MOM for me.
  • Agree with most people on here.

Was worried with the lack of Anyinsah or Benson and when Abbott came on I was ready to write this match off. But he played well (not brilliantly but well) in winning headers and pressurising the defence and deserved his goal.

Semedo for MotM, can't recall him doing much wrong.

Bessone looked OK but I'm worried about his injuries.

Jackson and BWP were both quiet but got the goals, which is why Brad at least is on the pitch.

Now Chris, could we please start games as well as we finish them?
  • If Bessone is injured for next match, I think SCP should give Clem_snide a go at LB - he is obviously very good based on his 'inciteful' comments.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am going to eat some humble pie. I have slagged Abbott off in recent posts but today he looked like a different player. Held the ball up well and caused their defence lots of problems and deserved the goal even if it was a deflection. BWP looks like a steal and does what it says on the tin - score goals. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time and was unfortunate to not get a second with the rasping shot pushed onto the post by Joe Lewis. As mentioned in previous posts watching Charlton now feels like the good old days with Curbs. Chrissy Powells red and white army!
  • edited February 2011
    Good win, great to see us come back into the game after going 1-0 down. First half it was 4-4-2, Eccleston and BWP were too similar, not convinced there's ever going to be a real partnership there. We had no one to hold up the ball, challenge in the air or drop deep to get the ball. Too often players were running away from the team mate with the ball, so we were then forced to try longer and difficult passes.

Second half Abbott really helped to changed it, best game I think I've seen from him for us. Suddenly we had a striker who could challenge in the air, it makes things difficult for defenders, he didn't have to win it every time (but he did win a fair few). The formation then looked more like a 4-4-2 that turned into a 4-3-3 with Eccleston pushing further up.

Semedo had a very good game. BWP again popped up with a goal, didn't really stand out but didn't really do anything wrong either. Doherty and Dailly pretty solid. Good crosses from Eccleston and Francis for the goals.

Again Parky's supposed poor signings in Francis and Abbott (not so much McCormack today, but as Henry said he's had some good games recently) looked useful players. With the takeover and change of manager the pressure of needing promotion to survive has gone. Powell and his staff have given the players confidence and belief back. Players like Francis don't look so nervous and are making less mistakes.

With that confidence it makes a huge difference. We now have a better chance of promotion now that it's not vital to the clubs future that we are promoted this season. Still room for improvement of course but Powell couldn't really have made a better start to his career as manager.
  • Sounds as though, from CP's interview, we have quite a few walking wounded. Anyinsah and Benno injured in training, Waggy with a head injury, Bessone also strechered off, Daily carried on with an injured ankle. I guess we will see some enforced changes on Tuesday, along with some tactical ones!
    For those there today, would you start Tuesday with 4-4-2 with Abbott and BWP up front?

Doing the match updates, it sounded as though we wer'nt in the game for the first half or the first 10 mins of 2nd, then we started to play and began passing it around, hence we got 2 very quick goals and rocked the 'posh' for a while, but it was a bloody tense finish!!

Another 3 points, but we need to start as good as we seem to be finishing matches, but it sounded as though we got out of jail and were lucky to be only 1 down at the turn.
    Hartlepool got smashed today, need to be aware of them on the rebound!
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]We now have a better chance of promotion now that it's not vital to the clubs future that we are promoted this season. .

That is the definition of irony in itself.

I'm sad to hear that people booed because if so they are only putting back on the pressure that has allegedly eased.
  • I'm not a booer, but if I was then that 1st half was definately worthy of my boos. We simply didn't have a foot in the game whatsover, and peterboro should be furious they didn't put the game beyond us.

Brilliant turn around. Its a funny old game
  • [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]For those there today, would you start Tuesday with 4-4-2 with Abbott and BWP up front?

Depends on how Wagstaff, Anyinsah and Benson recover but I'd be tempted to start the match as we played most of the 2nd half, assuming Dailly is fit and Bessone is not.

Elliot
    Francis Dailly Doherty Fry
    Eccleston Semedo McCormack Jackson
    Abbott BWP
  • Oh and before I forget.

Special mention for the bloke a few seats from me who shouted "Abbott you tosser, get him off" when PA gave the ball away once in about two occasions in the entire half

Obviously we haven't dropped down enough leagues to get rid of every c***
  • Thought we were very poor for 60 minutes , were lucky not to be 2 nil down , Posh looked a good side , and you could see why they'd scored bundles this season, but .. we hung in there and fought back big time , is it possible to play 2 good halves in football? or is that asking for the moon.

I just hoped at half time , that we'd played our bad half , and were going to improve, BWP is quality , glad to see Jacko back in the goals , thought Abbott was outstanding , bit disappointed with Eccles in the 1st half , didn't seem to add much to our play.
  • [cite]Posted By: Darty Valiant[/cite]If Bessone is injured for next match, I think SCP should give Clem_snide a go at LB - he is obviously very good based on his 'inciteful' comments.

Good stuff. Cracking post.

People can snipe as much as they want, IMO the bloke is well short of match fitness. His tracking back after making any sort of forward run was non-existant. Fry has been solid for the whole of this season, but all of a sudden is out of the side to a half fit player. Why?
  • Francis starting to look like a real good player. Wagstaff poor again and a waste of space.
    LUCKY LUCKY CHRIS POWELL......Could have been 4 defeats on the trot. Would love to sign a few players from Posh.