Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic 3-2 Peterborough - Post Match Views

Comments

• Just watched powells interview.. he is excellent...

very good and correct in everything he has said so far...

gonna be interesting on Tuesday..
  • stunningly bad in the first half. Huge whole in the midfield which PBoro seemed to pore through. How they were only one nil up i dont know. Abbot made a differance. Put himself about.Our second goal was a very good move. We held on at the end.
  • I wasn't at the match so can't comment on the play. But it is interesting that a number of Lifers are remarking that we aren't playing well. Perhaps that is the point that it is the 3rd tier of football and tams don't play well in League One, and we are just playing less badly than others. Now if we could start playing well ...................
  • [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]even if Lizzie on FLS is doubtful we will go up

Haven't watched it yet, did she say that?

She needs to be abolished, and fast.

Enjoyed your summary BTW Muttley.
  • Like many others I wasn't at all sure about swapping an ineffective Waggy for Abbott but he applied himself from the second half ko and caused them so many problems by bringing Ecclestone, and later Reid, into the game. With his renewed energy and hunger came the confident touch and hold up play that made the difference.

Francis was excellent. During the first half he made several vital interventions and in the second he showed his attacking threat. Unlike some I think he regularly shows vg crossing ability though he's of course been a bit wayward in the past.

McCormack did appear to be trying hard but was in far too much of a hurry to get rid of the ball when he occasionally found space. Probably a confidence thing but at least he contributed when we really upped the tempo. Special mention for Doc too; some of those blocks were so brave and can only inspire team-mates.

As others have said there was a lot wrong in the first half against a free-flowing Posh side but most of those problems were addressed and the attacking verve we showed then left everyone bouncing home smiling. Now let's try starting well...
  • [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]even if Lizzie on FLS is doubtful we will go up

Haven't watched it yet, did she say that?

She needs to be abolished, and fast.

Enjoyed your summary BTW Muttley.

She needs a good slap.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite] ISawLeaburnScore [/cite]Abbott changed the game because we held onto the ball for more than 10 seconds at a time. He held the ball up, stitched the midfield and the attack together, won it in the air and brought others (especially Eccleston and Francis pelting down the right) into the game.

Abbott, Eccleston and Francis my three stars today. Honourable mention to BWP for chalking up his third in as many games. Jackson had probably his worse half in the shirt today (he's been getting progressively worse game by game in the last month or so) and then pops up with the equaliser and was solid in the second half.

The less said about the first 50 minutes the better I think... it would probably take less time to say what wasn't wrong
    This.
    All this teams frailties were exposed in the first half with awful wayward passing and poor ball retention

The introduction of Abbott seemed inspired, although now we find it was forced by Wagstaffs injury; and had Joe and Benno not been injured would he even have been on the bench?
    Whatever, his introduction transformed us and his goal meant a lot to him; hey, the North Stand even chanted his name.
    Might have only been on 45 mins but he gets my MOM vote for changing the game.

Peterborough can count themselvs a little unlucky, they contributed to a very entertaining second half, and Charlton showed in patches in the second half what this team is capable of.
    When we play like that watcing Charlton is fun again.
  • As I said in the preview thread, we needed to pay attention to Peterboro's 4-3-1-2 system. Which we didn't do in the first half, probably for a number of reasons. 4-4-2 was the management teams tactical choice, which clearly didn't work. Boyd was not picked up, used the space well, and the oppositon midfield played through us. We were fortunate to go in at half- time at 0-1.

The booing at half-time sounded like "kids throwing their toys out of the cot". A teenage tantrum. As the team had not been set up properly to deal with the oppositon, I assume they were booing the manager, as the players looked like they were trying 100% to me. Didn't take long did it?

The half-time substitution was clever. 10 out of 10. I was expecting Racon for Wagstaff, to match-up with Peterboro in central midfield. So Abbott was a surprise. Jackson did well in CM, we stopped Boyd getting the ball, the front 3 combined well, and Eccleston took the left back to the cleaners. Abbott looked a better player with BWP alongside him and got the job done. Nice to hear the crowd sing his name.

So the moral of the story is, the points aren't won until the 96th minute. So mindless booing at half- time isn't called for. This game shows signs that we have a bright management team, willing to admit they got it wrong to start with and make the necessary adjustment at half-time. They deserve plaudits for doing so and not waiting another 15 mins, as a lot of managers do.

By the way, what odds would I have got for 3-2? a lucky guess as most predictions are, the first correct score this season, and no dough on it!
  • Can anyone tell me, was the new scoreboard working yesterday? and if so, how did it look?
  • [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]Can anyone tell me, was the new scoreboard working yesterday? and if so, how did it look?
    Yes it was. It looked good, but some of the smaller text was a bit of a struggle from the North Upper. I think they may need to do a bit of work to ensure that everything is easily readable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cool. Look forward to seeing it next week from the west, so should be able to read it clearer from there. :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]The introduction of Abbott seemed inspired, although now we find it was forced by Wagstaffs injury

Not forced though was it? He could have brought on Reid for example. He didn't. He brought him on and made a tactical change by pushing NE out wide.

CP is not a miracle worker. If he was we would be winning game by three or four goals and playing teams off the park. Clearly that is not happening.

What he has done is this (plus the new Owners effect)

1. He has changed the atmosphere around the place
    2. He has made the players work harder in training (they have admitted this) - they are fitter and we player better in the latter stages of game
    3. He has come with a winning mentality and that is rubbing off on the players. The Colchester 4th Official incident is evidence of that. He didn't throw his toys out of the pram, he used his brain to get the goal overturned.
    4. He seems able to spot things that are wrong tactically during a game and change things. That is what all good managers do. It is not always possible to get the team set up right at the start, but being able to make the right changes really marks you out
    5. He is a coach and coaching players to improve is what it is all about. Is Francis improvement just down to more confidence, or to the coaching he is getting from a former England full back? Its probably a bit of both, but its a real step forward

It has been a dream start - results wise. It gives him more chance to get it right, performance wise. Clearly we could have lost yesterday, and against Colchester. He will know that performances need to improve but really you can't knock the start he's made.
  • I think it's worth mentioning just how well organised Peterborough were in the first half and they came to the Valley playing for a win. They did a very good job on us, closing us down, not giving us any space to make any passes and forcing us to hoof the ball up in the air where they won everything and showed us just how to get the ball forward playing with pace. Every time they came forward they seemed to have an extra man over and had Peterborough made some different passing decisions and not hit the post, we could have been 2 or 3 nil down by half time.

The frustrating thing about the first half, for me anyway, was that Peterborough seemed to run out of legs surprisingly quickly and we failed to capitalise. There seemed to be a hesitancy in midfield, we didn't seem to have any of the movement off the ball I've seen recently. A couple of times BWP had to drop back to pick up the ball instead of doing what he was supposed to be doing, not his fault, it's just we were so slow getting the ball forward he had no other option. It's good to see us playing a 4-4-2 but I wonder if we are actually capable of doing it with the players we have.

The second half speaks for itself. What a turn around, playing with three strikers going all out attack and two very well earned goals in the space of a few minutes, it was fantastic to watch, exciting stuff from players that many of us wrote off not so long ago. Abbots goal (I know it's down as an OG which is a bit of a shame really) was a wonderfully opportunistic shot from a player brimming with confidence.

My only criticism of the second half was that we took our foot off of the gas about 5 minutes before the 90 minutes were up and when the incredulous 6 minutes were added, Peterborough sprung back into life and punished us with a well worked goal.

Overall it was a great game to watch and another terrific three points against a decent footballing side. A 4th win in a row with room for improvement.

We've got our Charlton back.
  • According to yesterdays programme Boyd was in our youth system.

Was he a good player then ?
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]The introduction of Abbott seemed inspired, although now we find it was forced by Wagstaffs injury

Not forced though was it? He could have brought on Reid for example. He didn't. He brought him on and made a tactical change by pushing NE out wide.

Forced was the word Powell himself used I believe.
    I accept your point that he could have replaced Waggy with any of the subs, but the point I was trying to make was, would he have brought Abbott on at all if Waggy hadn't got injured?

I don't disagree with your other points
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]The introduction of Abbott seemed inspired, although now we find it was forced by Wagstaffs injury

Forced was the word Powell himself used I believe.

I accept your point that he could have replaced Waggy with any of the subs, but the point I was trying to make was, would he have brought Abbott on at all if Waggy hadn't got injured?

I don't disagree with your other points

Well you maybe right. He acknowledged that he was forced to make a change. It was which change that I was talking about. Maybe he would have kept the same team if Waggy wasn't injured, or maybe he might have made the change later in the game. Good managers can also be lucky. It reminds me of the old adage - the harder I work the luckier I get.

Either way it changed the game and perhaps the fortunes of Pawel Abbott as well.
  • edited February 2011
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] Good managers can also be lucky.

Quite.
    Just maybe in this instance it was more luck than inspiration
    Either way it changed the game and perhaps the fortunes of Pawel Abbott as well.

Absolutely!
    More power to Pawel
  • Long story short, the archetypical 'game of two halves'.

Ecclestone looked much better on the right than up front, and also better out wide than Waggy yesterday. Also he is too similar to BWP for me to offer an effective parnership. Partially why Abott changed the game so much. (Although mostly because Abbott was quality yesterday).

The team I would like to see start the next game is:

Elliot
    Francis--Docherty--Dailly--Bessone/ Fry
    Ecclestone-Semedo-Mac/Rac--Jack
    Abott
    BWP

Not sure Powell would be willing to drop Wagstaff and (if he is back) Anyinsah however. Plus Waggy is arguably a nessecity in away games due to his work rate, Ecclestone doesn't appear to be too willing to defend it would seem, which could leave Francis exposed.
  • [align=center]Elliot
    Francis---Fry--Dailly--Bessone
    Eccleston-Semedo-Racon--Jacko
    Pawel
    BWP[/align]

?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: alicwkd[/cite]Ecclestone doesn't appear to be too willing to defend it would seem

In fairness to the lad he did more defending and tracking back than I expected him to do when he switched to RW

I remember one particular incident by the corner-flag when he chased the player back and forth like a whippet

I think his pace gives him an extra bit of defensive capability (as is the same with Wagstaff) as at least he can get back to make a nuisance of himself even if his defensive technique is not one of his strengths
  • first half was dire and certainly no need for me to bang on about what's needed in midfield any more. 2 up front were too similar but cp had to play ecclestone - masterstroke by powell bringing abbot on as i think he and his staff are the only people in the ground that would have done that. bwp seems to offer just a finish but thats ok. ecclestone is a class act. Lets face it though, we were outplayed for a lot of it and im sue chris powell is in no doubt about what's needed. francis best game for us and and semedo was a powerhouse for us as always, thought bessone was good in the respect that he tries to play football and he seems to be able to play with both feet as he often uses his right when he has time for either. caught out sometimes yes but thats going to happen if you get forwards. Doherty was also very good.
  • Just watched the highlights on player. Not sure what the midfield were up to for the first two posh chances. But after that we looked quality.

Three great crosses leading up to the three goals. That second goal was just like watching Brazil.
    Awesome to see the bench all huddling at the end... looks like there is a massive feel good factor around the valley at the moment.

Think I'm going to be back in the UK for most of April and May, hopefully I can get tickets from the run in!!! The last game I saw was Wigan in the Premiership back in 2007..... haven't been this pumped about football for a long long time.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: alicwkd[/cite]Ecclestone doesn't appear to be too willing to defend it would seem

In fairness to the lad he did more defending and tracking back than I expected him to do when he switched to RW

I remember one particular incident by the corner-flag when he chased the player back and forth like a whippet

I think his pace gives him an extra bit of defensive capability (as is the same with Wagstaff) as at least he can get back to make a nuisance of himself even if his defensive technique is not one of his strengths

Thats true, I'd forgotten about that.
  • edited February 2011
    Elliot
    Francis--Fry--Dailly--Bessone

Semedo
    Racon--- ---Jacko

Ecclestone -- BWP
    Pav/Joe
  • edited February 2011
    Wow, where do I start.

First half was a complete non-event. Much like Charlton of old and Peterborough thoroughly deserved their lead, they were opening us up all over the pitch and should of been at least two up by the 50 minute mark. They had two golden opportunities after thier first which unfortunately you can only say was down to a poor mistake by Francis. Elliott looked sharp in the first half and thwarted a couple of decent Boro chances.

The boos at half time (only coming from the North Upper) was bang out of order and completely unnecessary, luckily noone was booing in the lower where I was or they would of got the sharp end of my tongue. This has probably been mentioned but the way Powell stormed down from the dugout and ripped off his jacket before he went down the tunnel really did send a message to me and he looked like a man on a mission, I imagine the players got the hairdryer treatment at half time to say the least.

Second half was a completely different Charlton, I reckon we could of outplayed Barcelona at times! An inspired substitution to bring on Pawel Abbott, questioned by most around me, really did make the difference. Abbott looked like a new player and really put himself about. Hope the third goal gets credited to him as that might be just what he needs. Second goal was a real masterclass and I haven't seen The Valley celebrate a goal like that since the second playoff semi final goal last season, a joy to behold and an insight to the changes that Chris and co have brought to the table.

Eccleston was a much better player on the wing, think he has found his home there and will keep his place in the team if he keeps up that form. Semedo was an absolute monster in the middle, was mopping up everything in our half and driving the team forward, my man of the match. McCormack was solid, made a few decent passes which if the forwards had been a bit more on the same wavelength, could of created some good chances. Not sure if it merits Racon being on the bench but some time out is what he needs to show he is not guarenteed his place. Another quiet game from BWP but still knows where the ball is going to be and got another goal. This man is a natural goalscorer and what we have been crying out for since Darren Bent left. A great signing for under £200k.

Bessone looked slightly off the place but our strength and depth showed where we can be in a position to bring on Matt Fry. Doherty and Dailly were solid, slightly off the pace in the first half but remained composed, Doherty is excellent in the air but not so hot on the the floor. Really thought Mackail-Smith was going to run those two ragged all afternoon with his pace but they seemed to have him controlled to a degree. I thought Francis was excellent, yes he made a mistake for their first goal and defensively he still doesn't look great but his attacking more than cancelled that out and probably was our biggest attacking threat at times, much better player under Powell.

Can't take the grin off my face this morning. Fantastic performance.
  • Ok, first half not good but you have got to give Posh some credit they are a good footballing team and they pressurised us from the start. We could and should of passed the ball better when we had it though.

Second half they obviously came out to get a quick second and kill the game, when that didn't happen I think they started to slow down, this allowed us to get into the game. Goal scoring wins games and at the moment we are very good at it. CP bringing on Abbot, whether forced or not was a great move. He kept there 2 center halves busy which allowed NE and BWP more space.

The team look more motivated to me and things look good. Would be nice to see us retain possession more when we are under pressure as in the first 45 mins. but you have to trust the manager to sort the problems out and booing isn't the way to do it.
  • edited February 2011
    The people who booed are a bloody embarrassment. Look - the Den is only just down the road, I'm sure they have plenty of tickets. Do us a favour and make that journey. or maybe drink less before the match.

First half again I'm worried about the basics. We lost possession too easily to tackles and poor passing. We won nothing in the air, and when we did we lost it within a touch or two. 'borough outran us all over the pitch, their defenders were faster than our wingers, and I was surprised how this applied even to Eccleston who didn't find his legs till 2nd half when he got stuck in. Clearly CP has showed his mettle as a manager - anyone who can turn a performance around like that by TALKING to his players has something special going on for him.

Not too many mentions of Rob Elliot on here. IMHO he kept us in the game and was possibly my MOTM. Stick with the yellow jersey Rob!

Boy - those two goals in 2 minutes. It was like we were suddenly possessed! And then Pawel Abbott really getting stuck in and scaring the sh*t out of them - I thought he was gone from this team when BWP came in. Wonderful. Don't get to matches often as I live in Cornwall now, and at half time I was wondering why I bothered. Glad I stuck around. The drive, discipline and spirit was superb. Refusing to lose - that's what that looked like.

Another thing tho' - we always start doing an on-pitch warm down 10 minutes before the whistle instead of just keeping playing to the end!

See you at Bristol unless I can bribe the missus to come for another weekend in the smoke before then.
  • The team have discovered some resilience - a couple of months ago when they faced a set back, difficult conditions or an opposition team upping the ante to get a result then they would have folded - and there is probably no way that we would have got any points out of the last 3 games. Now the team can take some pressure and knockbacks and come back into the game - this used to happen all the time when Curbs was in charge. It was somewhat ironic (and tragic) that we lost our "bouncebackability" when Dowie tookover.

All the idiots booing at half time should note that winning easily was never the Charlton way.